Germany Quick Question

Reval is great. You just have to keep slavery until after you have levees available.

I have no trouble quickly taking constantinople early with swords and cats. But I always get it right as turkey is spawning, and turkey someone uses boats to get athens before me. So I use my elftover army to take Rome - dont get Athens until curssairs. :(

constantinople has the hagia and usually also notre dame, and its a much better cities than athens to boot.

The Byzantine empire is tricky:

- Notredam in Constantinopolis - forget about it, it's in Asia! so it's the worst thing that actually can happend (if you are Germany, you don't have pretty much any city in Asia; you definitivelly wants have Notredam in Europe); also you can get +1 stability point for each wonder, if you conquer them you will get 0 (but for example Hagia Sophia is in early game so great boost you don't usually mind :) )

- The trick how to get Athen with Constantinopolis is - collapse Byzantine empire by getting Constantinopolis; then if you are "lucky" (for example Arabians for example have Konya; they may be more tricks like this one), the rest of the Byzantine army is move to Trebzon, instead of Athen, so you can easily get it without "any" or minimal resistance (0 units or 1 unit in Athen)

PS: I'm not using slavery, Germany have enough production to don't use it, but maybe i'm just noob :) I usually go with "Caste system" to get some techs ASAP (especially on emperor) (you bulb like 2 or more likely 3 techs (philosophy, paper, education) and you are in renaissance

I ALWAYS start with slavery to whip out a courthouse in the best pop city, this is with every civ but especially when playing emperor, as the great spy will bring you in a fair few techs ( I usually steal the astronomy line from the Dutch when playing as |Germans, but waiting for the Ottomans and taking Gunpowder is also a good plan to keep you up to speed militarily

how do you steal tech with great spy? he only option I ever have is to get a buncha EP poins with the civ I attack.

morff, are you sure constantinople counts as asia? I think I got the +2 happiness from capturing it. Anyway, you can't control it - about 50% of games Paris builds sistene chapel and noredame, the other 50% France doesnt build any wonders :( (constantinople ges notre damn and China builds sistene chapel).

Both times I have captured Constantinople, it was just barely before the turks (i.e. they had cannons on the turk side while i was attacking the greek side) I think they actually take athens before constantinople, for some reason.

Great spy give you lot of spy points, but you have to use spy to actually steal the tech.

Yep i'm pretty sure; you get the bonus only in Asian cities (Istambul only for example), no in European.

You can get Constantinopol from start; i played many games, and they sometimes have only one (extreme) unit, or two (pretty often); you can get the city with some or more serious losses.

Or i usually use this trick (aka partisan):
Spoiler :
you just build your 4-6 good cities and build good economy, build 2 horse archers or knights, gather some other units (for collateral damage if necessary) and wait until your "dumb" AI colleagues start wondering around Rom and Constantinopolis. This especially work on Turks and Frace - they have stack of units with siege weapons, they usually bombard till some percent of defence is down; after that (or even without the bombardment) they will do suicidal attack on city. If you are in right time on right place, you can get the cities without scratching color from your brand new cannons :) Also you can wait if they get the city with great loses, you just crush the rest of damanged army, and quickly get with knights what you need (Athens before they build Janissary).

Constantinople belongs to Europe until Turkey spawns, then it changes to Asia. Don't know if the Notre Dame effect retroactively changes as well.

Constantinople belongs to Europe until Turkey spawns, then it changes to Asia. Don't know if the Notre Dame effect retroactively changes as well.

Is carthage a part of Europe early game? I remember Blizzrd mentioning this sometime, but barbs can enter Carthage if you have the GW in Rome.

I'm pretty sure it's how i said (corrent me if i'm wrong), i checked this deeply, because i'm playing Germany. It would be great if you could get Hagia Sofia and Notredam before you even start playing, but the Notredam IMHO doesn't have any effect in European cities if build in Constantinopolis.

Carthage (and all of North Africa) is part of Asia as far as the game is concerned.

Part of Asia? That is very weird... Why not Africa?

Because North Africa interacted a lot more with Asia (especially the Middle East) than with Sub-Saharan Africa. That's important in game, because the AI will treat tiles differently when they're on different continents. For example, before North Africa was part of Asia, Arabia only rarely expanded there.

I think so, yes. The only change is Constantinople changes from Europe to Asia when the Turks arrive.

I'll check this problem in source code later, and maybe will show the continents in new city atlas, but have to make some money first to have some time to waste ;)

What are the best choices in work/economics/religion if you go with police state/nationhood and occupation in the late game?
does emancipation/free market/freedom of religion go well with those? don't wanna collapse later on...

I think state property would work better than free market, but maybe they are the same. The food bonus is powerful in SP but I suppose mining and sushi are even better in the late game, however remember corporations bring instability. However if you get your economy to be more powerful that increases your stability too.
Emancipation is a good idea in the modern era both for happiness and stability, for the religion I don't think it matters except pacifism would clash with your other choices. Free religion also gets rid of the negative stability gotten from non-state religions in your cities.

Top Bottom