1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Gerrymandering

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Oct 4, 2017.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Who needs an excuse? There is little pressure from peers.

That too. It's part of the platform.

Turnout is highly correlated to education. So much so that one wonders about calls to make voting compulsory.

From the same report Metatron cited.

2. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

It's not paid time off.

3. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

There are really 2 questions to consider:

1. WHO makes the districts. I think it should be pretty obvious the massive conflict of interest when the people being elected make the districts that they are elected from.

2. HOW the districts are made.

You have to solve question 1 first. In, CA, we've done a great job doing that. We have a citizen commission comprised of a balance of Dems, Reps, and independents (14 members on the commission). When they developed new boundaries in 2011, it passed the commission by votes of 13-1 and 12-2. This has resulted in very competitive seats/elections.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Like I said, it was intentional. Part of why it was so condescending is precisely because I know I cannot convince a single person that voter suppression is a real, powerful force in our country if they're already convinced that it's really all about lazy dumb poor people being lazy and dumb.
    That sucks but at least it something.

5. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Yeah. It's really sad that the fact that "we promise we won't fire you for performing your civic duty" is something that has to be specifically enumerated in state law, and that states which do so are commendable for doing so.

Meanwhile voting day is a big holiday-type deal in the Philippines and many stores give you free/discounted stuff for showing up with your "I Voted" stamp/sticker.