[RD] Gerrymandering

They aren't. This is state legislatures drawing districts for federal elections. Each state has the ability to write the rules that apply to the national elections in that state.
Umm state legislatures draw their own boundaries in most states - and there is a whole lot of state legislature level gerrymandering. I mean that's what Gill v. Whitford is all about.

They aren't. This is state legislatures drawing districts for federal elections. Each state has the ability to write the rules that apply to the national elections in that state.

J

Pretty sure you're wrong (cf above) but I'll amend: letting any legislatures draw any electorate boundaries is complete lunacy

It's really telling that you have to go all the way to the SC to get politicians not to act like blatant asshats.

I think it would better to say that these 4 were selected because they shared similar beliefs with those that nominated them.
Every now an then there is a surprise. :D

The same could be said of the others.

I think it would better to say that these 4 were selected because they shared similar beliefs with those that nominated them.
Every now an then there is a surprise. :D

The same could be said of the others.

I mean, my position is that the Supreme Court is and always will be political, but there is a difference between making decisions based on consistent adherence to ideological principles and making them with no regard to principles, based simply on whatever will help your own party.

I couldn't agree more that it is and always will be political, but I believe it's more pre-rigged than just to always help the party. But will admit that those occasions do exist.

The dems have run the Illinois house for a long time.
How is that not comparable. 61% is more than enough to control it. It's not like 52% of something.
They're exactly comparable. Both situations the party in power has taken advantage of it to make sure they keep it.

It's wrong in both states. IT's wrong wherever it happens regardless of who's doing it. Simple as that.
These are the numbers for the US House delegation, not the Illinois house.
The difference between a gerrymander that creates a 7% gap and one that creates a 23% gap is a factor 3.

Didn't realize what level you were quoting since they have done it at BOTH levels in Illinois and it's been going on since they took control.

They're both wrong and need to be fixed. The party in power takes advantage of the rules to perpetuate their own rule the same way. So what if one was more successful at it, it doesn't make it different.

Or are you trying to say it's OK, if they only do it a little bit. Jeeze.

Gerrymandering isn’t just about cementing existing political interests. It can also be a powerful tool for helping to give minorities representations. Districts across the US have been gerrymandered to produce districts specifically likely to result in the election of minority representatives.

Given how easy it is for the white majority to drown out minority opinions and given how gerrymandering can help to ensure minorities have a say in governance, I am very cautious about condemning gerrymandering in toto.

Didn't realize what level you were quoting since they have done it at BOTH levels in Illinois and it's been going on since they took control.

They're both wrong and need to be fixed. The party in power takes advantage of the rules to perpetuate their own rule the same way. So what if one was more successful at it, it doesn't make it different.

Or are you trying to say it's OK, if they only do it a little bit. Jeeze.
Republicans have overperformed compared to their share of the US House vote as recently as 2010.

In states where they control the local houses. Quite like the dems have done in states that they control. (unless the state decides those things differently) I really don't see the big difference that you're claiming. Yes, I admit that the repugs have done it more. They've had more opportunity but that doesn't make it different.

In Illinois, sorry that that wasn't clear.

Gerrymandering isn’t just about cementing existing political interests. It can also be a powerful tool for helping to give minorities representations. Districts across the US have been gerrymandered to produce districts specifically likely to result in the election of minority representatives.

Given how easy it is for the white majority to drown out minority opinions and given how gerrymandering can help to ensure minorities have a say in governance, I am very cautious about condemning gerrymandering in toto.

I mean the obvious democratic solutions here are:

• "communities of interest" to be defined to include ethnic minorities (as well as things like urban area boundaries), when setting goal criteria for independent boundary drawing authorities to adhere to
  • parties to adopt representation quotas in their candidate preselection
  • Reform towards multi-member/proportional electoral systems
Using electoral boundaries to achieve diverse representation outcomes is weird.

I hope you appreciate that any time you cite hacks like Bee, Colbert and Oliver you bolster the reelection prospects of Trump 20.
Letting legislatures draw their own boundaries is lunacy
Hear, hear!
letting any legislatures draw any electorate boundaries is complete lunacy
Indeed.

Well, the quintessential point should be about ethnic trascendence on that datum, shouldn't it.
I.e. people should vote their values and ideals no matter the ethnicity of the one representing those ideals and values.
Identity based gerrymandering obstructs that instead of furthering that.
Case in point being the the districts called "The United States" in the 2008 and 2012 district elections.

I hope you appreciate that any time you cite hacks like Bee, Colbert and Oliver you bolster the reelection prospects of Trump 20.

Hacks ?? I don't know Bee enough to comment on her, but while I see how Colbert's style is not super helpful at convincing people that aren't already convinced Oliver has his good moments. In the Gerrymandering video he makes some interesting points about how districts that looks bad on a map might be a lot better in terms of actually representing the people in the area than good old squares (in certain specific circumstances). Yes the Drumpf bit during the election was probably counter productive but his coverage of things is mostly good.

Top Bottom