Get the patch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes - that fixed it
had to copy it to the Apps folder, run a game (to 'bless'/locate it?)
then run the installer

initial testing on my sub-par system shows much improved performance!!!
rock on!

is it 3AM yet?

I too have noticed a heap of performance improvement on my 1.67 Ghz G4 PowerBook and want to give a special thanks out to Brad and his team for busting their butts to get this patch out before the weekend!

Patch works fine for me, too.

Sound issue as said from others above: Some are there, some still missing.

Patch works fine for me (iMac G5 1.8 1.5GB ram), on my saved game (huge map, 8 civs) I would say that it was around 20% faster and a lot of background sounds as well as music (a little intermittent though), the intro movie was also a lot less jerky too.

enkiduMT said:
I'll try copying it to my applications folder - thats prolly the ticket
I copied it into my copious "games" folder (stuffed w aspyr goodness)
I don't think it matters where it is. You just have to run it before trying to patch it, as you found. That produces the receipt record that the patch can use to locate it.

hmmm, I ran CIV (from my boot disk's "games" folder) many times before the patch. I DLed the patch and it just wouldn't upgrade the Civ4 app/etc. I tried reinstalling (and running prior to patch attempt), w no luck

Someone kindly suggested that CIV needed to be installed in the Applications folder... I moved it, ran it from that folder... then tried the update... and it worked

ymmv

ps - me specs be G4 1.4/1.2G RAM/R8500/OSX10.3.9
I might try a 10.4.7 install on the other drive just to compare performance

pps - the game quit to desktop this AM, uptime for game was about 8 hours (my son and I take turns playing, heh) patch be much faster, arg!

enkiduMT said:
hmmm, I ran CIV (from my boot disk's "games" folder) many times before the patch. I DLed the patch and it just wouldn't upgrade the Civ4 app/etc. I tried reinstalling (and running prior to patch attempt), w no luck

Someone kindly suggested that CIV needed to be installed in the Applications folder... I moved it, ran it from that folder... then tried the update... and it worked
Interesting. I based my comment on the fact that I'm sure I've seen others who have it installed in a Games folder somewhere, and who patched it successully.

Indeed. I have mine in ~/Games, and it patched there without any difficulty whatsoever.

Thanks for the hard work guys! Works much better on my non supported machine.

G4 Digital Audio (powerlogix dual 1.33 Ghz)
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 MB VRAM
1.12 GB RAM

just a quick update on patch performance from way(?)-under-spec land (1.5ghz powerbook 1gb/Radeon 9700 64mb).

I decided to up the game specs a bit. Large map, animations/effects on, and medium quality, everything else set low. Playing full-screen mode. Game started out pretty smooth, but has gotten slower. I only had some of the tutorial to judge speed pre-patch, but I'd guess at 1200AD on a large map is maybe still a smidge faster than pre-patch tutorial. It is still quite slow though, so that it takes a few seconds to scroll to the next unit. If you want speed and large maps and animation on a powerbook, I'm guessing you will be disappointed, but it plays well enough for my tastes (kept me up until 3am last night!)

Sounds (except for some unit/battle sounds?) still working reasonably well, although it seems like some are getting cut off, and maybe unrelated, but there may be a broken sound either when I scroll past a city or foriegn territory when the ambient music is playing. There's a quick, loud "bomp" sound in these instances. Wonder movies still playing well late into the game. I'm not sure what the battle animations are supposed to look like, but they always end with the loser getting thrown backwards so I guess they are working...

I had the game open from about 1pm to 3am without any crashes or major graphics problems...

bio_hazard said:
I had the game open from about 1pm to 3am without any crashes or major graphics problems...
Glad to see you're keeping this under control ... Not having any fun ... or addicted in any way then? :p

Yep patch works for me, there's a definate improvement. Though I have a problem with all the non-aspyr videos (ie startup screens and wonder movies) where I just don't get any sound despite all my settings being on default (except 1280x800 res). Also the soundtrack seems to be a bit too dependent on the CPU usage as whilst waiting for the next turn the soundtrack keeps on cutting in and out though I'm sur ethat's just because my computer's not fast enough (iMac G5 2GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI 9600 128mb, OS 10.4.7). Thanks for the support so far Aspyr, I hope the latest patch is out soon!

AlanH said:
Glad to see you're keeping this under control ... Not having any fun ... or addicted in any way then? :p

:lol: There was a several hour pause in there somewhere when the game was open but I was away from the computer. Just figured it would be good to point out that my computer didn't crash or overheat or anything like that...

bio_hazard said:
:lol: There was a several hour pause in there somewhere when the game was open but I was away from the computer. Just figured it would be good to point out that my computer didn't crash or overheat or anything like that...
Sure, sure... and you bought a second copy and have it stashed in the garage, right...?

I purchased the German version of Civ4 for Mac 2 days ago, when it was released at all. I use a Mac Mini 1.67 with 2 GB Ram. The game is playable before the patch, but with a lot of interruptions in sound and, in addition, with some color changes from time to time in the landscape of the map. With the patch there was no solution. It became worse, as it crashes especially during an early stadium of Scenario (Earth).
I wonder if it is a question of the processor (2.0 better than 1.67?), the poor graphic of MacMini with using the RAM, or the problem of the Mac OS 10.4.7. I'm ready to buy a new Apple MacBook with 2.0 Ghz processor, but I want to be sure, that the processor helps to make playing the game more enjoyable than now. The step to buy a MacBook Pro is too high.
Any recommendation? Is it also a question of patience, because the Civ4 for Mac is something like a Beta????
I'm a Civ 2, 3 and 4 player for years, and somehow a Fanatic, I have to say.

Works much better for me as well! I'm on a 17" iMac (iSight, 1.9GHz, 1.5GB ram). Since I'm still running windowed, I can see MenuMeters report that CPU is still at 100% as before -- but now, the kernel % is a much more reasonable ~5%, instead of the 40% it was before. This makes total sense, given Brad's description of what the problem.

(For a timed metric: when double-clicking on a city to open it up for examination, then hitting esc to close it again, the full loop takes around 5 seconds, instead of the 10-12 seconds it took before.)

I also hear more ambient sounds, although I'm guessing this is more because the CPU has time to play them, not because of particular sound fixes. I was very surprised to hear New York neighing at me!

P.S. I should mention that the weirdness when you zoom out to view the world and see the image of the last guy you talked to is still there, as you might expect. That's the only obvious bug I can see.

gfeier said:
Runs better than before on the MacBook, at least in single-player mode. Glenda, Brad, you might want to try it on a MacBook with at least 1GB RAM - you may be able to move the MacBook over to the "supported" column which should have a very beneficial impact on sales. :goodjob:

Hey gfeier, I'm ordering a MacBook with 1Gb today. What size maps are you able to play and have you played through to the late game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom