Ghandhi (EC) Emperor Cookbook! Let the fun begin.

Game finished :cry:

Spoiler :

On about 950 BC Montezuma declared on me.
I'd built some chariots (5 or 6) and I was going with axemen (1 or 2) but I've lost soon Bombay. Then, whipping and chopping like crazy, I've loaded up a little army of axemen and the available chariots (abouts 7-8 units) and I've destroyed the stack which Monty was sending towards south against Delhi. So, just for exercise, I've tried a counterattack to reconquer Bombay, but it failed.
So, It seems me that it's unuseful to continue the game till 400AD (it's about 525BC and the game is obviously lost), as well as to post the save.
So, what can I to do?
Can I play and post the next round the same?

Thank you

@CBPE
Spoiler :
Bummer. I would suggest re-playing the round for learning purpose. Even though you lost the game, you can play the next round... just like anyone can start playing at any round.

Well, I've played my round, and the best I can say is that I survived.
Spoiler :
Monty declared at 1050BC, then as that war was ending, Toku and Khan both DOW'd on the same turn.

We're still alive, but the economy is suffering badly and we're so far behind in tech, it's not even funny.

I'll post my full report in a day or so, but I'm really wondering how many survivors there will be for this round...

I have a few questions that are semi-related. First, is it acceptable to play around with any/all of the saves from the first round? I know we're using MJG's save for round two, but I'm curious to play more in each game. The thing is, would that be...cheating? Being able to see different technologies, specifically iron working, would skew my play for the official round two play-through. My second question, which sort of caused the first, is to ask if there's a thread or guide somewhere around that details which technologies the different great people can research? I seem to have noticed that there are prerequisite techs that can change which tech a great person will apply towards when bulbing. Is that correct?

Um...I survived...but that's about it...:eek:

(Note: sorry I used the wrong rez on the image)

Spoiler :

Well, this round was pretty much constant warfare. I guess that's what to expect when our friendly map-maker places a peacemonger in the midst of a warmonger triumvirate, plus Brennus.

Monty attacked a few turns in. I imagine that this happened to everyone unless you somehow did some amazing diplo with him first off.

I went into major whip/chop unit pumping. I was able to fend off his initial stack near Bombay and then turn around and take his iron city and another city he plopped down to the east of Delhi near the Mongols. I gifted this city to the Mongols for three reason - a) to improve relations to try to bring him into the fight which I did b) the city was getting major culture slammed - Monty would have lost it anyway and as well as myself c) my economy was in serious crash mode - As I was about to attack Monty's city with my stack I was on the first turn of STRIKE - luckily I lost units in battle and not to the computer

Made peace with Monty and started to build up units to attack Monty again. He simply had to go. In the meantime I settled the coastal seafood to the south and tried to build a little infra. Well, Monty attacked me again first. However, I was prepared and took his capital with much loss of life. Had units on the way though to hit his final city in the tundra. I didn't fair well, but I had brought Mongolia into war. The Mongols had some units ready to attack but I made a mistake after TOKU ATTACKED!!!

Now I have a war on two fronts. However, in the heat of ramping up to take on Toku on this on turn, I forgot to take advantage of the Mongol suicide attack on Monty's last city, as I had a stack there too. I basically fell on my sword. Had to declare peace with Monty and focus on saving my butt for now. Keep in mind though that the Mongols are still at war with the Aztecs.

I fended of Toku's initial stack - almost lost Delhi - and started sending axes and swords toward Izumo for a little offensive action. NOW BRENNUS ATTACKS!!! ARGH!!! However, Brennus is not in the neighorhood at the moment.

On the other front, I notice the Mongols have a good stack next to Monty's last city. I have a sword and axe nearby so I DOW on Monty and send them over for hopefully an opportunistic attack on a weakened defense. Every Mongol goes down the next turn, but my guys are there to take down the lone remaining archer. Monty is DEAD!

I take Izumo, which could be a nice city eventually and start heading further into Japan. I see that Toku now has Crossbows which does not bode well for me. I retreat but do take out his horsies on the way. Hyana has built the AP and declares a vote for peace with me. Somehow this applies to Toku - not sure why. Anyway, I definitely vote yes and it passes. Whew!

Brennus initial stack is somewhat weak. A weakened Axe/chariot are next to Delhi currently and they will go down.

In hindsight, relations with Toku were never going to be good. One thing that does peeve me about this game is that AIs can ask for you to join them in battle while you are already at war. I find this to be broken.

The positive thing currently is that I now have a decent set of land, tons of workers, a GG chariot healer, a settle GG in Bombay and Monty's former cap, and the former Aztec cap is tremendous. The bad thing is that my Tech and economy are in the major crapper. I just don't know if I can recover. I expect Toku will attack again soon.

I'm interested to see how others do so far with this inevitable war round. I just don't see how one can keep up with tech in situations like this. Unfortunately, my scientists bulbed Math and I could get nothing for it. I should have settled him. I did build an Academy with my first GS.

Well, this one would certainly be an interesting challange. I have to say this though - as frustrating a position as I'm in now it was an exciting round.

Attachments

• Lymond - Gandhi Emperor Cookbook AD-0400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    201.3 KB · Views: 91
Personally i think Gumbolt had to warn about Monty's full hands after making decisive vote.

Spoiler :

One of days there game hates me. Loading crashed twice and i had power failure few times while playing. Guess local system does not handle than lot of us switch in extra electric heating...

Back to game:
4 cities 3 workers Monty has full hands... How that save got picked... Copper far away from being connected... Useless chariots in production [Monty has resourceless jaguars remember?]

Well i got rid of Monty and not in red, but as soon as next guy declares i am more or less toasted... Would call it partial failure or something like that... Probably earned it as i hate playing from other saves...

Might continue the pain later on. One of these was partial invisibility on mine units like part of axes went completely of control. Like i could see them in stack list but could not pick as individual units. Luckily stack attack worked.

I also believe I picked wrong side religiously. If there was right side. Don't i think getting only Monty's cap and going for peace might have worked...

Attachments

• [Name] - Gandhi Emperor Cookbook BC-0170.CivBeyondSwordSave
    157.1 KB · Views: 80
@ Soirana: Anyone taking on a save should review it first!! Not sure how MJG came out such a strong contender.

Spoiler :
I should think connecting up the copper and building 2-3 workers would be everyones first goal on this save.

Its good that we are all learning from this experience though!

How I won this round i'll never know. Here is round 2. To 400AD.

Spoiler :
In my post for round 1 I mentioned I am most likely target for a Monty DOW.

Tech path, Pot>alpha(should have went aest here)>Cur>Mason>Construction>PH>HBR>Aest>Lit current, going for HE in Pata.

1325BC Oracle BIDL

975BC MONTY declares on us. I was prepared as I hooked up copper and had 3 axes in Bombay.

850BC GLH BIDL

600BC Toku declares on Brennus. Thankfully he went after Brennus as I seen his WHEOOHRN. I had moved military down to defend against him also.

440BC GK declares on us I seen this coming also as I shifted the units from toku's assumed declare to GK's declre on us. Also GG pops I make super medic. Also get peace from monty for poly.

320BC Raze Samarquand. GK city was only size 1. It auto razed. Trade alpha to monty for math. Peace with GK.

305BC Raze Jute barb city. Was only size 1 and I didn't have settler there and Toku takes the spot.:cry:

200BC Settle Varanasi.

185BC GS pops settle Capital.

95BC Colussus BIDL.

80BC Monty declares again. Again I was ready. GG pops as I kill his stack in open field.:lol: Send him to Pata to settle.

35BC Settle Arga. Had to get some cities settled as land got gobbled up. Also GG settles in Pata this turn. Want to make my HE city.

20BC Mids BIDL. GK revolts to Police state. He built them.

5BC GK asks to go Hindu I accept.

70AD SoZ BIDL.

85AD Meet Cathy. HC builds AP. Its Hindu.:goodjob: We lose election against him though.

100AD GK declares on Monty. :goodjob:

145AD Currency to HC for MOnarchy. and 135 gold. Toku converts to Hindu. This helps as he is WHEOOHRN. Also switch to HR.

190AD Peace with Monty because he got LB's. Got med and 60 gold.

205AD trade currency to cathy for CoL.

220AD Trade Monarchy to Toku for 160gold.

265AD Beg 80gold from HC. I always forget to do this.

370AD I decline GK offer for war against Monty.Bulb Philo. Get religion.

385AD Monarchy to GK for Monothsiem and 120gold. Switch to OR.

Starting to Make WE's and cats to go after Monty. Although maybe going after Toku could work also. I put parthenon in Bombay although don't think I would build. It's only 14 turns though. Heading to Lit for HE and maybe shot at GL.

This was a tough round of just surviving, although I see openings for next round. Only problem is how big Cathy might get.

Toku is fighting Brennus and Monty is fighting GK.

SS.

Save.

Attachments

• Mike - Gandhi Emperor Cookbook AD-0400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    194.6 KB · Views: 68
Spoiler :
I think any and all of our saves would be fine to play for learning purposes. The early rush/warfare saves looked like the strongest and safest choices, but even a save that kicks our ass presents plenty to learn.

If I may make a recommendation, it might help if everyone uses spoilers for innocuous comments like "oh ow, that hurt! Here's my save". It was a pretty big tip off, and Monty's WHTMAWTLDOYATTWYRN* made an attack easy to anticipate**.

*"We Have Too Much Ass Whoopping To Lay Down On Your Ass To Talk With You Right Now". Not the official acronym, I know.

**Dealing with it, on the other hand...meep

for ones playing with bug interface full hand mode is seen on main screen. See nothing big about it.

Personally i think Gumbolt had to warn about Monty's full hands after making decisive vote.

Spoiler :

One of days there game hates me. Loading crashed twice and i had power failure few times while playing. Guess local system does not handle than lot of us switch in extra electric heating...

Back to game:
4 cities 3 workers Monty has full hands... How that save got picked... Copper far away from being connected... Useless chariots in production [Monty has resourceless jaguars remember?]

Well i got rid of Monty and not in red, but as soon as next guy declares i am more or less toasted... Would call it partial failure or something like that... Probably earned it as i hate playing from other saves...

Might continue the pain later on. One of these was partial invisibility on mine units like part of axes went completely of control. Like i could see them in stack list but could not pick as individual units. Luckily stack attack worked.

I also believe I picked wrong side religiously. If there was right side. Don't i think getting only Monty's cap and going for peace might have worked...

Spoiler :
I don't know if you read my round 1 post, but I even mention that I am likely target of monty who is in WHEOOHRN.

Spoiler :
I don't know if you read my round 1 post, but I even mention that I am likely target of monty who is in WHEOOHRN.

Spoiler :

We will come through this much stronger in terms of games play. Frankly I am glad to see a cookbook where an Ai actually made an attack on someone with some actual units.

The decision to not use a stronger save is not the death of this game. You learn a lot less from stronger saves.

MJG save was a risk with no copper hooked up but our uu is useful. Lets not forget we have fantastic traits too. Getting copper hooked up in this save is important.

I would agree anyone with bug mode would see Monty was pounding for someones blood.

@John Edwards
Submit your round 2 before playing with the other saves. Otherwise as you pointed out, it's not really fair.

GP: it's called GP tech preference.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=140952

Yeah, the more I mulled it over the more playing other saves seems like an unfair advantage, certainly if done before I've finished the current round.

Thanks for the link to the GP tech preference list. I think this line explains most of my confusion with Great People and what they will bulb:
Note if you dont have prerequisites for a tech then the great person will try and give you the next tech on the list that you can get.
In the tech tree I've noticed the technology tagged as capable of being researched by a specific type of GP will "bounce around" on me. It seems this is the answer!

Spoiler :
I gave up when I lost my capital to Genghis in 125 BC.

Montezuma declared war on us after a few turns but I just managed to see him off and survive his stack of doom and then I used axemen and horse archers to take one of his cities, but just as I was congratulating myself on that decisive achievement, Genghis Khan arrived with a thousand screaming Keshiks, to which I had no answer. With Delhi gone, I see no point in continuing.

All due credit to anybody who managed to survive this round in any sort of decent state.

Round 2 save report:

Spoiler :
Well, despite the WHEOOHRN heads up from Monty to start it, this was a raucous round. The short and sweet - War, followed by war, with a side of war and some war to top it off. I struggled the entire round to keep my head above water. Although I didn't lose enough to get knocked out, it feels like the game's current has dragged me out to sea.

Technology path for this round - Pottery finished-->Masonry-->Iron Working-->Mathematics-->Alphabet-->Meditation-->Priesthood-->Fishing-->Archery...working on Construction.

- - - - - -

1000 B.C. - Montezuma declares WAR! So be it! Monty's initial attack was directed towards Bombay. It played out...strangely. I had veeeeery recently hooked copper up and built my first couple of axemen, but Bombay was not particularly fortified. Monty had - if I remember correctly - one archer, one or two Jaguars, one axemen and three spearmen. BUT. One of my chariots had been poking around inside Monty's territory when he declared war; it popped back inside Bombay's borders one square NE of the city on the forested plains hill. Monty attacked it and killed it with a Jaguar (I don't remember if there was a second Jaguar that moved in after that or not). Then he moved his archer one spot north to the forested grasslands hill. Meanwhile he sent his axemen and three spearmen together...back into the dessert deeper into his territory. That original stack, even with the Jaguar hurt, would have finished off my garrison in Bombay unless I got some very, very helpful rolls. Strange. Despite being periodically attacked by waves of enemy troops, I was able to muster enough axemen to hold Bombay through many turns of warfare. Monty fed me a fair number of Great General points, albeit with losses of my own. 775 B.C. - Ghandhi gets GG General Lee! I sent it to Pataliputra and sank it into the city as an instructor.

(disclaimer - I'm leaving out most of the fighting from here on. Generally I won more than I lost. Made one or two boneheaded individual troop movements, but that's relatively clean for me. Also, I ended up bouncing into both Buddhism and Judaism to try and help get out of fighting. The event log doesn't seem to track when I dumped out of Buddhism, but I tried to stay out of negative diplomacy whenever I thought it prudent. The religion carousel had Brennus and Monty Buddhist, with GK and Toka Jewish. Brennus switched to Judaism late in my round.

575 B.C. - You've discovered Iron Working! And we have iron in our borders!

335 B.C. - Great Scientist! I used it to research Mathematics (in 320 B.C.).
335 B.C. - Genghis Khan declares WAR! So be it! And we're still at war with Monty. Oh brother. Genghis pounced two of my three workers with a stray archer near Pataliputra.

320 B.C. - You have made peace with Montezuma. I converted to Buddhism and made peace with Monty.

215 B.C. - You have discovered Alphabet.

185 B.C. - Montezuma declares WAR! So be it!? Frack...

95 B.C. - You have made peace with that bassturd Montezuma.

5 B.C. - Great General Jeanne d'Arc is born for Ghandhi! I sent it to Pataliputra and sank it as a second Instructor.

55 A.D. - Tokugawa has declared WAR! So fracking be it?!?

70 A.D. - You have made peace with Genghis Khan.

220 A.D. - Genghis Khan has declared WAR! ... *sigh* ...

265 A.D. - Pataliputra has been captured by Genghis Khan! Also, I converted to Judaism.

280 A.D. - You have recaptured Pataliputra!
280 A.D. - Genghis Khan has captured Pataliputra!

325 A.D. - You have rerecaptured Pataliputra! Fracking alley fight for Pataliputra. Good grief! (but sickly fun)

400 A.D. - You throw the hot potato save to another (better) player. Catch!

screenies:

Oy Vey. :run:

-edit- Oh, and what I've got running around inside my borders right now: horse archers, Keshiks, War Elephants, Longbowman and more.

Attachments

• Round 2 [John Edwards] - Gandhi Emperor Cookbook AD-0400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    201 KB · Views: 105
I'm tellin y'all - we shoulda gone with my save - The Ch Yank "always war" assumption wasn't too bad here. Prolly shoulda only nicked 2 workers instead of 3 - but well there you go.

Out yere in cattle country In-ga-lund we knows who does the work! :lol:

Nevertheless - I'll have a go at that "Mikey mj" save m'self and pretends them Mongols are Welshies...

I'm tellin y'all - we shoulda gone with my save - The Ch Yank "always war" assumption wasn't too bad here. Prolly shoulda only nicked 2 workers instead of 3 - but well there you go.

Out yere in cattle country In-ga-lund we knows who does the work! :lol:

Nevertheless - I'll have a go at that "Mikey mj" save m'self and pretends them Mongols are Welshies...

During my game some hooligan named Monty was walking around calling your mum a bint from Bath. I wouldn't take that if I were you.

Good luck!

I need to finish my save after work tomorrow and then close round. You have time people. I wont say this round has been easy.

Top Bottom