Give me 18, but not on Earth - new PBEM

I would guess bj. Nighthawk said he was going to be back today ...

The last leg of my travels will be going to Bermuda next week, which includes taking my wife with me, so as you can imagine I won't be playing civ during my downtime! I will be back to catch up on all turns and sort out this pbem tracker mess in all my games on 18 April.

Also, if this game is still alive, I propose two house rules:
1) No AP-vote, I think most agree that it can be exploited and it's gamey.

As with almost everything in Civ4 ... there are counters to this ...
  • don't get the AP religion into your civ is the first option
  • get enough of the AP religion to block any victory vote
  • become the AP prez yourself and don't put the vote to the masses
  • capture and raze the AP city

2)Banning nukes.
ICBMs don't have a counter ... and don't mention the star wars defense as most Civ counters come before the unit it is countering. I guess the counter is to build them yourself and let the MAD factor work.

civic swaps
These are cheap and don't have a counter. The best counter is to destroy the civ messing with your civics ... or make their life a living hell.

Anti-spy builds, missions and spies help ... but they don't do a good enough job.

The one thing that bugs me about spy economies is that the only downside of a failed mission is the loss of the spy. I think that you should have to spend the EPs regardless of the outcome ... then failure would hurt.

My own suggestion to counter the civics change missions being so cheap is that you need to have more EPs against the civ you are using it on than they have against you at the moment when you trigger the mission.

I see some other NightHawk pbem games are starting to resume. The turn is currently with Bj who only has 1 (max 2) cities left. I think the plan is for NightHawk to play these turns until the Dutch are dead.

Isn't there another civ that is being covered by NightHawk? I'll see if I can find someone to fill in there.

The best thing would be to simply open BJ's turn, retire him, and pass the turn to the next player...

My apologies everyone!!! I got back but then have been super busy with work and didn't get a chance to catch up on the thread until now. I see the turn skipped over to Knoedel... did someone retire BJ to AI? With PBEM tracker down I can't guarantee knowing when it would be BJ's turn anyway, so this is probably the best approach. Even Tigranes probably wouldn't be able to bring him back from the dead.

Re: house rules... as the admin I declare that the game shall be played as is. I started this PBEM shortly after I started playing my very first 1 on 1 PBEM, it was started with just regular BTS settings and shall continue with the same settings. No changes now that its been launched for over 5 years! Play the game as is and if you piss someone off by taking advantage of civic switches, etc... just be prepared for the consequences.

I've started the ball rolling re swapping to the Realms Beyond tracking system (ie set up gmail account, get everyone to agree to accept forwarded emails, etc). Once I have confirmed the play sequence, I'll give you the game email address and set up the 'where the heck is the turn' tracker.

I don't think someone other than admin could have skipped BJ...

Players still alive in turn order ...

1) Sitting Bull of the Native Americans - Nighthawk419 / Night Hawk
2) Wang Kon of Korea - Michkov / Dangun Wanggeom
3) Shaka of Zulu - Eclipse4449 / Eclipse
4) Willem van Oranje of the Dutch - bjarkekr
5) Charlemagne of Holy Rome - Imperator Kneodel /
6) Huyana Capac of Inca - Bathsheba666 / ZootHornRollo
7) Darius of Persia - Chasbolt / Tigranes (in transition)
8) Mansa Musa of Mali - Majic (currently played by Nighthawk?)
9) Montezuma of Aztec - sinimusta / Lu Thor
10) Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia - Ruff.Hi / Ruffster John

Can someone please review this and let me know if I have it correct.

I've started to code up the filters that control where the save gets sent only to realize that that I hadn't asked Imp Kneodel to accept gmail forwards (request now sent).

At the moment, Nighthawk is playing his civ (Native Americans) as well as Mansa. That means the gmail filters need to be able to tell between the two saves that should go to Nighthawk.

To enable that to happen, can Chas / Tigranes please put 'Mansa' in the subject line when forwarding their save.

Ok, I will. When I get my first turn, eventually.

Guys, who has the turn now?

Last I looked at the tracker, it was with Knoedel. When it gets to me :(, I will be swapping to the Realms Beyond gmail tracker.

I thought the Tracker wasn't working anymore?

No idea. Do you have it? If not, where is it?

The tracker is not working anymore... but Knoedel you should have the last turn on the tracker to move us forward.

I emailed everyone from the GiveMe18 gmail account. The oldest save I have so far is mine to NightHawk (1320AD).

Imperator Kneodel sent in 1310AD (to Zoot) ... so I think the game is somewhere between Nighthawk and Bj.

@Nighthawk ... are you playing BJs turn? Did you email it on?

Players still alive in turn order ...

1) Sitting Bull of the Native Americans - Nighthawk419 / Night Hawk
2) Wang Kon of Korea - Michkov / Dangun Wanggeom
3) Shaka of Zulu - Eclipse4449 / Eclipse
4) Willem van Oranje of the Dutch - bjarkekr
5) Charlemagne of Holy Rome - Imperator Kneodel /
6) Huyana Capac of Inca - Bathsheba666 / ZootHornRollo
7) Darius of Persia - Chasbolt / Tigranes (in transition)
8) Mansa Musa of Mali - Majic (currently played by Nighthawk?)
9) Montezuma of Aztec - sinimusta / Lu Thor
10) Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia - Ruff.Hi / Ruffster John

Update ...
Nighthawk sent 1320 to Michkov
Michkov sent 1320 to Eclipse

So ... Eclipse has it.

But wait ...
The tracker has 'Give_me_18,_but_not_on_Earth_AD-1320_to_bjarkekr.CivBeyondSwordSave' dated March 29.
The tracker also thinks it has 'Give_me_18,_but_not_on_Earth_AD-1320_to_Imperator_Knoedel.CivBeyondSwordSave' dated Apr 22 ... but it doesn't ... that file is not found.

So ... the turn is with Imperator_Knoedel, we just can't find the file.

Who played bjarkekr's turn? Was it bj or Nighthawk? Nighthawk says it wasn't him ... so BJ played the turn.

BJ ... please send the file again.

I'm not able to check inbox/sentbox but I remember receiving and playing it the same day, that particular game trumps all others waiting in the que so I'm 90% sure it's not with me

Phew ... I think we have found the latest save. I forwarded it to NightHawk to play. I have also set up the filters ... so just email all turns to the special gmail account.

I am going to set up the tracker ... will post a link when I get one.

@Nighthawk ... you are currently playing three (3) turns in this game. The filters work out who to send the turn to based on who it comes from. It will come from you three times per cycle.

Please put either 'Aztec', 'Holy' or 'Korea' in the subject line. This will control who it gets sent to.

Aztec --> sinimusta
Holy --> Imperator Kneodel
Korea --> Michkov

Top Bottom