• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Global warming - caused by humans or not?

Right. So you start with an attack on me. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if my bluntness offends you. But I do not think that telling you 'Oh, I take your seriously, but your position is wrong in certain details' is fair, if in reality my BS detector is at max. See my (extensive) edit.

..and it should not have escaped yours that the station history of many of these locations has changed. Sites were not always, for example, next to the outlet of air conditioning units. Go have a look at the temperature records for individual stations, and find the point at which the temperatures jump around.

So it would, under reasonable circumstances, be on you to show how a nation-wide trend exists that moves stations into artificially warmer places over time. Go ahead, please.

btw: you have no reduced your critizism to the potential unknowns in station of those stations that shifted position in the US. All the rest????

Hm, why does that remind me of a fighting retreat?

And as for the arctic & antarctic, we have a new study that shows that the antarctic is warming slightly,
Oh, yeah, which one, please?? The one that showed a ~0.0° change in the center, with a potential error to - 0.1°, while all the rest is going up massively? as did several older ones?
which is very amusing. For a long time we had "the antarctic is cooling slightly, but that is exactly what is predicted by global warming models". Now we have "see, the antarctic is warming too, just like we said" (I paraphrase somewhat, obviously). But that study is another flawed study, by the looks of it.
erh, nice - there was no consensus (as you pretend) that the antarctic is warming - just a consensus that IF it did, that would be within the spread of possible models. Please prove me wrong, if you could.

Enlighten me, then. How much is due to fossil fuels?
Why me? YOU claim that the scientific establishment is wrong. You claim it is not oil's and coal's fault that earth is warming, so burn 'em up already!

I think you'll find that the correlation coefficients for some of these other things are probably as good as for Mann's reconstructions.
So? They may be positive feedbacks. Please answer my question.

Ah yes - an ad-hominem.

erhm, no, it is called a fact check. it revelas that this guy has a history of serious confclicts-of-interest. it also reveals that he is closely associated with a bunch of known crooks. Therefore, the most parsimonious position is to assume that he is a crook, and paid liar.
Perhaps we can have a critique of the UAH temperature measurements, and why it is flawed and completely wrong? Do you think that if Roy Spencer didn't work at UAH then the temperature record would change?
Possible, but unlikely. More likely, he is selecting and interpreting the data to fit his aims, adeliberately omitting facts that contradict him. This is, after all, the operating pattern of his peers. I know what I am talking about, my grandfather made a living by looking for data supporting Big Tobacco's assertion that tar in the lungs is not harmful. Never found it, though.... oh man was he sorry (lol).

It appears that the guys there are a hell of a lot more transparent with their methodology than the likes of GISS are with their surface temperature 'record', where they adjust values up and down all the time.
Yeah, if you cherry-pick, then all you have is.... cherries! :lol:

Edit: Didn't realise that you'd edited your post to spend a post a whole lot more of your ad-hominem attacks. :rolleyes: Forgive me if I ignore them,

if someone has a history of lying and cheating in favor of the people who fund him - do you seriously ask me to ignore said history?

:lol:

let me guess: you work for an oil company?

and just ask you to answer this question: Perhaps we can have a critique of the UAH temperature measurements, and why it is flawed and completely wrong? Do you think that if Roy Spencer didn't work at UAH then the temperature record would change?

read above. I actually do not care what the answer is. There are too many honest people out there, so I need to deal with those who willingly seek the company of thugs and liars. If you want to rely on them, do so. But don't cry foul when they turn out to be thugs and liars.

Hey, Simple Simon, can you be more polite please. It's rare a GW conversation gets any level of sophistication.

Ainwood: I think that sometimes an Ad-Hom is appropriate. If a person associates with the an immoral crowd known for their agenda, then you can ignore their arguments. It's just as likely that they're trying to trick you as inform you.

Hey, Simple Simon, can you be more polite please. It's rare a GW conversation gets any level of sophistication.

more polite? Aye-aye, Sir - if you tell me how (PM?), I will - but I will not lie, I will not mollycoddle people who get paid by Big Tobacco and Big Oil to lie, and I will not lie about my own, personal opinion.

@Ainwood: please let me clarify.

I do not, in any way, want to suggest that you intentionally, knowingly, post things you know or suspect not to be true. Nor do I think you deliberately attempt to blow smoke and obfuscate the issue. I do not doubt your intellectual honesty. However, I do doubt your sub-consciousness, as much as I doubt mine. I know that it is sometimes very hard to come out of denials. I know of two important issues where it took me years to do so. No idea how many more there are on topics I feel strongly about. I think - believe, if you prefer that term - that you are indeed in denial. You are very smart, and educated, and you (I assume) work in the field we discuss. Thus it is quite easy for you to make rationalizations, find excuses, etc, without ever consciously noticing that you do. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is me doing that. Or maybe we both are - or none of us. So please take my posts along the line 'be kind with colleagues, ruthless with theories'. I am not here to 'win' this discussion. I am here to convince people of what I perceive to be the truth, for the benefit of mankind. Thus, crooks and liars will be addressed as such by me. Unless you work for e.g. the Cato Institute, though, I am not addressing you personally ;)

the "Theories" aren't really so, they seem to be more conjecture (although there are some decent facts)

Ainwood: I think that sometimes an Ad-Hom is appropriate. If a person associates with the an immoral crowd known for their agenda, then you can ignore their arguments. It's just as likely that they're trying to trick you as inform you.
Maybe it is, but in this case, I don't think it is. Simple Simon made a reference to a "massive temperature rise". I pointed him to a satellite record put out by University of Alabama, Huntsville (UAH). Simple Simon attacks the source of the data because of Roy Spencer's association with the data source, and completely ignores the data. He then admits that it is "possible, but unlikely" that the data is wrong.

Suggests to me that it was an ad-hominem for the purpose of distracting from addressing the data and the point made.

more polite? Aye-aye, Sir - if you tell me how (PM?), I will - but I will not lie, I will not mollycoddle people who get paid by Big Tobacco and Big Oil to lie, and I will not lie about my own, personal opinion.
BTW - referring to people as 'paid liars' is far removed from 'not mollycoddle'. It is in fact closer to defamation.

@Ainwood: please let me clarify.

I do not, in any way, want to suggest that you intentionally, knowingly, post things you know or suspect not to be true. Nor do I think you deliberately attempt to blow smoke and obfuscate the issue. I do not doubt your intellectual honesty. However, I do doubt your sub-consciousness, as much as I doubt mine. I know that it is sometimes very hard to come out of denials. I know of two important issues where it took me years to do so. No idea how many more there are on topics I feel strongly about. I think - believe, if you prefer that term - that you are indeed in denial. You are very smart, and educated, and you (I assume) work in the field we discuss. Thus it is quite easy for you to make rationalizations, find excuses, etc, without ever consciously noticing that you do. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is me doing that. Or maybe we both are - or none of us. So please take my posts along the line 'be kind with colleagues, ruthless with theories'. I am not here to 'win' this discussion. I am here to convince people of what I perceive to be the truth, for the benefit of mankind. Thus, crooks and liars will be addressed as such by me. Unless you work for e.g. the Cato Institute, though, I am not addressing you personally ;)
Fair enough. Indulge me if you will, for I would like to address two points. You may refer to me with the (loaded) term 'denier', but the other term you previously used was 'agnostic', and this is probably closer to the truth. I first recall mention of global climate issues with concerns about global cooling. Then it was global warming. I got interested, and started reading-up. What my reading suggested to me was that the science is not settled. It may be 'settled' that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. What is not settled (at least in my view) is the potential consequences of elevated CO2.

What I find of interest is that the science behind things like temperature reconstructions seems to be full of holes. There is obfuscation, deliberate attempts to prevent access to data, or details of methods. The scientific method is failing. Perhaps using your subconscious example above, those doing the temperature reconstructions (for example), are subconsciously selecting data that supports the conclusion that they are trying to reach?

---------------------------------------------------
I would also like to address your comments relating to 'big oil' paying people to lie. I'm going to give my perspective on this issue, and where I make assumptions as to your perspective, please correct me if I am wrong.

Presumably, you believe that 'big oil' is funding anti-global-warming 'lies', because they see that global warming, as a Very Real Problem, means that they lose profits. Ie: Its all about the money.

Lets examine this: The world is highly dependent on fossil fuels for energy, particularly oil and natural gas (which is what 'big oil' primarily trades in). Big oil has a near-monopoly on energy supply for transport, and enjoys 60% of the total energy market. They are obviously incentivised to protect market share.

Along come the threat of 'global warming'. The finger is pointed at the fossil fuel industry as being the 'cause'. This means that society collectively wants to reduce fossil fuel dependence and use, to reduce harm to the planet. On the face of it, I agree that this creates a strng incentive for big oil to obfuscate and try to prove that global warming is not real. But stay with me, and lets look a bit deeper:

Because the world is hooked-on fossil fuels, it is simply not practical to do away with fossil fuels overnight. The much more likely scenario is that polluters are required to pay to clean-up their emissions. The added cost is likely to make other forms of energy more viable. So, faced with this, what is the rational thing for big oil to do? To maximise profits, and protect (or even grow) market share, I would suggest that the rational thing for them to do is to jump on the global warming bandwagon and whole-heartedly lobby for cap and trade. Let me explain why:

Firstly, costs of cleaning-up CO2 emissions will simply be passed-on to the consumers, provided that:
1.) the energy is fairly demand-inelastic (it is) to a degree,
2.) oil (or gas) + CO2 clean-up cost is still cheaper than alternative energy streams.
If these conditions are satisfied, then profit margins will be maintained.

So, does the cost of cleaning-up CO2 emissions make oil or gas uneconomic? Lets look at it.

1 bbl of oil costs (very roughly) $US 60.

Now: how much CO2 does this emit when combusted? Unfortunately, I couldn't find an easy answer, but I can get a very rough number by assuming the oil is Octane (C8H18). Octane has a standard density of 703 kg/m³. When combusted, 1 mole of Octane (mol weight = 114.2285) releases 8 moles of CO2 (mol weight = 44). Ie: on a kg per kg basis, burning 1 kg of octane will release (8*44 / 114.2285) = 3.09 kg of CO2. So, burning 1 m³ (703 kg) of Octane will release 703 * 3.09 = 2170 kg of CO2. As a barrel is 0.159 m³, I therefore estimate that burning a barrel of oil will release 2107 * 0.159 = 0.345 Tonnes of CO2. (Hope I've got my maths correct).

Now: What is the 'cost' of these emissions? That is a very good question.... One price suggested is $US 30 / tonne, whereas the futures market has the cost at around 14 - 17 Euros / tonne. To be conservative, I'll assume the higher price of $US 30 / tonne.

So, 1 bbl of oil, costing $60, results in emissions of 0.345 tonnes of CO2, with a 'cost' of 0.345 * 30 = $US 10.35, bringing the total price to $70.35 / bbl. Now: to put this into context, 1 bbl = 159 litres. The additional cost for gasoline at the pump is therefore 10.35 / 159 = $US 0.065 / Litre, or less than 5 eurocents / litre at the pump. :hmm: An increase in petrol cost of < 5% at the pump is hardly going to have people rushing for alternatives, especially given that the oil price was significantly higher than this 6 months ago, and even then wind and hydro people weren't exactly rushing to the alternatives.

The other benefit that oil and gas enjoys is the sunk cost of the infrastructure. A small incremental cost in having to clean-up CO2 can be absorbed, because the alternatives require new energy infrastructure, which makes the alternatives uneconomic! The oil companies can rely on this to allow them to pass-through any increased costs to the consumer, and protect their market position.

This argument doesn't necessarily apply to new generation, but I still think that the oil companies positions are fairly robust, even with additional costs.

But you could argue that the threat of issing out on any future growth in the energy market could reduce profitability for oil companies (note: most of them are also heavily into researching renewables, which is another reasonable risk mitigation strategy).

For my second point, I would actually argue that not only will oil companies maintain their positions in a cap-and-trade world, they will actually make more money. The reason is coal. Coal is the dirty fuel, but the sunk capital argument doesn't work so well, because coal can be converted over to natural gas relatively easily. The oil companies might expand here.

Secondly, sequestration of carbon dioxide could be the natural progression from cap + trade, especially given the worlds' dependence on fossil fuels, the difficulty complying with emissions, and land-use meaning that forestry isn't a viable sequestration option long-term. The best sequestration option is probably geo-sequestration, and guess what? The oil companies have the depleted reservoirs to put the CO2 in. The oil companies have the technology / expertise in drilling and sub-surface geology. Oil companies are also the ones that have the technology for CO2 removal from gas streams (many natural gas streams have natural CO2 that must be stripped-out as part of natural gas processing). In short: Oil companies stand to make a LOT of money out of sequestration of carbon dioxide.

Of couse, my thoughts above might be a bit of a flight of fancy and some wishful thinking. Where is the evidence to support my assertions?

The most recent info I have is on submissions to New Zealand's government on the proposed emissions trading scheme (effectively cap & trade).
Exxon Mobil: Argue for a carbon tax (instead of cap & trade)
Shell: Advocate for emissions trading scheme.
British Petroleum: Supports the emissions trading.

So, "big oil", the people who apparently pay others to lie, are fully supportive of some form of emissions trading, or cap & trade. Maybe because they'll make money out of it?

Maybe it is, but in this case, I don't think it is. Simple Simon made a reference to a "massive temperature rise". I pointed him to a satellite record put out by University of Alabama, Huntsville (UAH). Simple Simon attacks the source of the data because of Roy Spencer's association with the data source, and completely ignores the data. He then admits that it is "possible, but unlikely" that the data is wrong.

Suggests to me that it was an ad-hominem for the purpose of distracting from addressing the data and the point made.

BTW - referring to people as 'paid liars' is far removed from 'not mollycoddle'. It is in fact closer to defamation.
sorry, ainwood, but these lobbyists of BigTobacco have been shown to lie all the time, in extreme cases even under oath, in court and before congress. They tell lies, and they get paid for them. Paid liars is thus a factual description.

It is also sufficient reason to discount anything else they get paid for - period.

I first recall mention of global climate issues with concerns about global cooling.
which was just a media hype.
Then it was global warming.
which has also been turned into a media hype.
It may be 'settled' that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. What is not settled (at least in my view) is the potential consequences of elevated CO2.
Indeed - I guess we differ about which parts of it are settled.

What I find of interest is that the science behind things like temperature reconstructions seems to be full of holes. There is obfuscation, deliberate attempts to prevent access to data, or details of methods. The scientific method is failing. Perhaps using your subconscious example above, those doing the temperature reconstructions (for example), are subconsciously selecting data that supports the conclusion that they are trying to reach?

If this was indeed the case, if the majority of scientists were really deliberately preventing access, falsifying data, etc., then you'd have a point.

however, whenever someone claims that 'data was faked', if you follow their trail you'll either find a nutcase (e.g. creationist), or money from very dubious sources (i.e. a motive for a little bending of the truth), or both. So the accusation usually is either blatant nonsense, or at least suspicious.

Having worked in a research group looking into prehistoric climate change, I must say that neither I nor anyone else there ever had problems getting raw data out of other scientists, nor was there any cherry-picking going on. Data point were dropped for good reasons, but these were always explicitly stated. End of story.

Certainly there are people who work sloppily - but you seem to suggest that they are in the majority. :eek: That's what some people tell us - they are the same people who tell us that the majority of scientists rejects evolution, too. :lol:

---------------------------------------------------
I would also like to address your comments relating to 'big oil' paying people to lie. I'm going to give my perspective on this issue, and where I make assumptions as to your perspective, please correct me if I am wrong.

Presumably, you believe that 'big oil' is funding anti-global-warming 'lies', because they see that global warming, as a Very Real Problem, means that they lose profits. Ie: Its all about the money.
No, Big Oil is not as stupid as Big Tobacco (or, especially, the lead industries). I should have worded that more carefully (and I got carried away and mis-worded my post for added drama). They do not pay for simple lies, they pay for spin-doctoring. Check their websites: most acknowledge AGW. What goes beyond normal spin doctoring (and, may I add, honest research, too!), is when the lobbyists - without being explicitly told to - cross the line.

However, the history of these 'think tanks' and 'institutes' is clear: they got paid for lies, and they still get paid - for what exactly???? So probably Big Oil is not paying for lies, but they pay people whose job description is 'hired mouthpiece with a tendency to obfuscate, misrepresent facts, and use every dirty trick in the book'.

Lets examine this: The world is highly dependent on fossil fuels for energy, particularly oil and natural gas (which is what 'big oil' primarily trades in). Big oil has a near-monopoly on energy supply for transport, and enjoys 60% of the total energy market. They are obviously incentivised to protect market share.

Along come the threat of 'global warming'. The finger is pointed at the fossil fuel industry as being the 'cause'. This means that society collectively wants to reduce fossil fuel dependence and use, to reduce harm to the planet. On the face of it, I agree that this creates a strng incentive for big oil to obfuscate and try to prove that global warming is not real. But stay with me, and lets look a bit deeper:

Because the world is hooked-on fossil fuels, it is simply not practical to do away with fossil fuels overnight. The much more likely scenario is that polluters are required to pay to clean-up their emissions. The added cost is likely to make other forms of energy more viable. So, faced with this, what is the rational thing for big oil to do? To maximise profits, and protect (or even grow) market share, I would suggest that the rational thing for them to do is to jump on the global warming bandwagon and whole-heartedly lobby for cap and trade. Let me explain why:

I see two flaws in your argument so far:
- from my perspective, and experience, jumping onto a bandwagon and finding technical solutions is not going to give a profit in this quarter. Nor this year. maybe not even this decade. You assume a long-term planning and motivation that just is not there.
- cap & trade does not follow directly.

But I agree with your point, and would like to point out that 'jumping onto the bandwagon has happened - many large oil firms heavily invested in alternative energies. And as soon as they had their chips in, they began officially accepting that CO2 emissions are a problem ;)

Firstly, costs of cleaning-up CO2 emissions will simply be passed-on to the consumers, provided that:
1.) the energy is fairly demand-inelastic (it is) to a degree,
2.) oil (or gas) + CO2 clean-up cost is still cheaper than alternative energy streams.
If these conditions are satisfied, then profit margins will be maintained.
Well, seeing how the European anti-trust agencies are gunning for Big Oil, I think cost, supply, demand and clean-up cost are of little influence on the profits of Big Oil. (exaggeration - but I guess you get my point).

So, does the cost of cleaning-up CO2 emissions make oil or gas uneconomic? Lets look at it.

1 bbl of oil costs (very roughly) $US 60.

Now: how much CO2 does this emit when combusted? Unfortunately, I couldn't find an easy answer, but I can get a very rough number by assuming the oil is Octane (C8H18). Octane has a standard density of 703 kg/m³. When combusted, 1 mole of Octane (mol weight = 114.2285) releases 8 moles of CO2 (mol weight = 44). Ie: on a kg per kg basis, burning 1 kg of octane will release (8*44 / 114.2285) = 3.09 kg of CO2. So, burning 1 m³ (703 kg) of Octane will release 703 * 3.09 = 2170 kg of CO2. As a barrel is 0.159 m³, I therefore estimate that burning a barrel of oil will release 2107 * 0.159 = 0.345 Tonnes of CO2. (Hope I've got my maths correct).

Now: What is the 'cost' of these emissions? That is a very good question.... One price suggested is $US 30 / tonne, whereas the futures market has the cost at around 14 - 17 Euros / tonne. To be conservative, I'll assume the higher price of $US 30 / tonne.

So, 1 bbl of oil, costing $60, results in emissions of 0.345 tonnes of CO2, with a 'cost' of 0.345 * 30 = $US 10.35, bringing the total price to $70.35 / bbl. Now: to put this into context, 1 bbl = 159 litres. The additional cost for gasoline at the pump is therefore 10.35 / 159 = $US 0.065 / Litre, or less than 5 eurocents / litre at the pump. :hmm: An increase in petrol cost of < 5% at the pump is hardly going to have people rushing for alternatives, especially given that the oil price was significantly higher than this 6 months ago, and even then wind and hydro people weren't exactly rushing to the alternatives.

Wow - slow down please!

An issue with this $30 number. (calcs look fine)
As an aside, the source cited in wikipedia is..... weird. check this sentence:
f 0.01 of a ton of carbon emissions results from the wheat growing and the milling and the trucking and the baking of a loaf of bread, then a tax of $30 per ton carbon will raise the price of bread by $0.30
How much bread? Oh, a ton of bread... $0.30 per ton of bread..... the way it is written, however, is suggestive of a price increase of $0.30 per loaf - or do you know people who do not instinctively think of a loaf when 'the price of bread' is debated?

So Nordhaus has written a pretty weird text there.

Now, what does he really suggest:
he optimal carbon price, or optimal carbon tax, is the market price (or carbon tax) on carbon emissions that balances the incremental costs of reducing carbon emissions with the incremental benefits of reducing climate damages
Read: you say it is too cheap to make alternatives interesting - but in fact the alternatives ARE that cheap, too!

So why should this not entice people to look for alternatives? I know people who set an alarm clock to rise at 4 a.m. to fuel the car, just to avoid the &#8364;0.02 rise at 5 1.m.! Others drive 10 mins to save &#8364;0.01/l for a 30l tank - i.e. save &#8364;0.30 but spend 20 minutes for that. All these would be mortally insulted by a &#8364;0.05 increase :lol:

let's look at this again:
even then wind and hydro people weren't exactly rushing to the alternatives

but they were - at least several people I know talked a lot about investing into solar and wind power. And in our neighborhood, the number of 'blue roofs' is rising faster and faster, to reduce oil/gas use for heating.

The other benefit that oil and gas enjoys is the sunk cost of the infrastructure. A small incremental cost in having to clean-up CO2 can be absorbed, because the alternatives require new energy infrastructure, which makes the alternatives uneconomic! The oil companies can rely on this to allow them to pass-through any increased costs to the consumer, and protect their market position.

This argument doesn't necessarily apply to new generation, but I still think that the oil companies positions are fairly robust, even with additional costs.

But you could argue that the threat of issing out on any future growth in the energy market could reduce profitability for oil companies (note: most of them are also heavily into researching renewables, which is another reasonable risk mitigation strategy).

Yeah, indeed - passing costs on is possible, feasible, logical - and, btw, entirely fair! It would (as the extreme prices last summer did) further entice people to conserve energy. Good. No blame here.

However, a company has a short-time interest in high demand and maximum energy use. (Actually, what they want is strong fluctuation: jack up the price when a peak occurs, then fill your capacities during a low. If you correlate consumer prices and use, you will see that price increases happen ASAP, while decreases lag - extra profit.) Now, 'burn all the oil as fast as possible' is indeed not a good long-term strategy, but it does create a good quarter balance, and thus a benefit for the mangers. The current crisis show us what managers think of.....

Also, a lot of alternative energies do not have those monstrously high infrastructure costs. Take, e.g., the attempt to have cars run on batteries that you exchange for full ones, to save you the charging time. What you need is
a) service stations
b) heavy transport to and from them
c) charging locations.
Hm, golly, they all exist:
a) gas stations
b) trucks running to/from them
c) power plants with excess capacities at certain times.

So yes, established systems have an advantage. But it is not as great as you suggest, especially not for new setups.

For my second point, I would actually argue that not only will oil companies maintain their positions in a cap-and-trade world, they will actually make more money. The reason is coal. Coal is the dirty fuel, but the sunk capital argument doesn't work so well, because coal can be converted over to natural gas relatively easily. The oil companies might expand here.

Secondly, sequestration of carbon dioxide could be the natural progression from cap + trade, especially given the worlds' dependence on fossil fuels, the difficulty complying with emissions, and land-use meaning that forestry isn't a viable sequestration option long-term. The best sequestration option is probably geo-sequestration, and guess what? The oil companies have the depleted reservoirs to put the CO2 in. The oil companies have the technology / expertise in drilling and sub-surface geology. Oil companies are also the ones that have the technology for CO2 removal from gas streams (many natural gas streams have natural CO2 that must be stripped-out as part of natural gas processing). In short: Oil companies stand to make a LOT of money out of sequestration of carbon dioxide.

Of couse, my thoughts above might be a bit of a flight of fancy and some wishful thinking. Where is the evidence to support my assertions?

The most recent info I have is on submissions to New Zealand's government on the proposed emissions trading scheme (effectively cap & trade).
Exxon Mobil: Argue for a carbon tax (instead of cap & trade)
Shell: Advocate for emissions trading scheme.
British Petroleum: Supports the emissions trading.

So, "big oil", the people who apparently pay others to lie, are fully supportive of some form of emissions trading, or cap & trade. Maybe because they'll make money out of it?

Indeed - and you just did an extremely goof job of pointing out my problem with cap&trade and 'offset costs'. And you opened an entirely different can of worms. Short version: Not $30, but $3000! Figure in the added cost of using fossil energies compared to renewable, and add THAT to the price. Then, the profits would be gone. (OK, based on the assumptions that 1) AGW is happening, and 2) is has a negative balance).

Sorry, I am a bit in a hurry right now, I need to do some real science.

sorry, ainwood, but these lobbyists of BigTobacco have been shown to lie all the time, in extreme cases even under oath, in court and before congress. They tell lies, and they get paid for them. Paid liars is thus a factual description.

It is also sufficient reason to discount anything else they get paid for - period.
You were applying this term to Roy Spencer, which I think is unfair.

If this was indeed the case, if the majority of scientists were really deliberately preventing access, falsifying data, etc., then you'd have a point.

however, whenever someone claims that 'data was faked', if you follow their trail you'll either find a nutcase (e.g. creationist), or money from very dubious sources (i.e. a motive for a little bending of the truth), or both. So the accusation usually is either blatant nonsense, or at least suspicious.
You will note that I did not say that 'data was faked', and I do not believe that people are actually deliberately trying to falsify anything. My concern is more that the data analysis does not always appear to be robust, and there is frequently more robustness claimed than the analysis can reasonably support.

From your statements here, it appears that you view any science that casts any doubt on magnitude of global warming to be supported financially by people who have a vested interest in the matter. I don't feel like this (even though the pro-global warming camp probably have bigger financial interest in 'proving' global warming than big oil, for example does in disproving). If anything, I think its most likely down to good old personal pride (people don't want to have their data and conclusions picked-to-shreds) or a bit of bias where they try to use the data to support the conclusion, rather than drawing conclusions from the data.

Having worked in a research group looking into prehistoric climate change, I must say that neither I nor anyone else there ever had problems getting raw data out of other scientists, nor was there any cherry-picking going on. Data point were dropped for good reasons, but these were always explicitly stated. End of story.
Then you have been fortunate. I would invite you to read www.climateaudit.org, and note the problems that Steve McIntyre has had. Much of his problems are probably due to him being somewhat black-listed. An interesting example of where the problems lie with individuals that I read recently was where two people shared their experiences in trying to reconstruct / verify Steig's antarctic warming paper. One claims he is black-listed by those fine people at realclimate, and was initially not provided any info or code from Steig. The other noted that Steig was very helpful and professional.

I see two flaws in your argument so far:
- from my perspective, and experience, jumping onto a bandwagon and finding technical solutions is not going to give a profit in this quarter. Nor this year. maybe not even this decade. You assume a long-term planning and motivation that just is not there.
- cap & trade does not follow directly.
Well, you assume that there is no long-term planning. Having been involved in business planning, they focus on the next year, but generally look a minimum of 5 years ahead with firm plans. This is especially important in the oil industry where it generally takes about 10-15 years to bring a discovered gas or oil field into production.

Cap and trade may not follow directly, but it is relevant given that most of the world's governments are debating some form of cap and trade or carbon tax. What form it takes is largely immaterial; the point is that those that can sequester emissions for others stand to make money.

So why should this not entice people to look for alternatives? I know people who set an alarm clock to rise at 4 a.m. to fuel the car, just to avoid the €0.02 rise at 5 1.m.! Others drive 10 mins to save €0.01/l for a 30l tank - i.e. save €0.30 but spend 20 minutes for that. All these would be mortally insulted by a €0.05 increase :lol:
So what you're saying is that oil companies can make their profits by providing a product that is only €0.01/l cheaper; even more profitable than my assumptions ;) If they did, then I'm sure the anti-trust people would have a valid claim, and because they're not, suggests that the anti-trust people are on shaky ground. I'd like to see what the anti-trust people are going to do with OPEC - they don't have much success there.

Yeah, indeed - passing costs on is possible, feasible, logical - and, btw, entirely fair! It would (as the extreme prices last summer did) further entice people to conserve energy. Good. No blame here.

However, a company has a short-time interest in high demand and maximum energy use. (Actually, what they want is strong fluctuation: jack up the price when a peak occurs, then fill your capacities during a low. If you correlate consumer prices and use, you will see that price increases happen ASAP, while decreases lag - extra profit.) Now, 'burn all the oil as fast as possible' is indeed not a good long-term strategy, but it does create a good quarter balance, and thus a benefit for the mangers. The current crisis show us what managers think of.....
The goal is generally towards Net Present Value, in that revenue produced today is of higher value than revenue produced tomorrow. With a portfolio of ageing assets, many fields are produced out faster where possible, to reduce operating costs of fields that would otherwise sit idle.

Also, a lot of alternative energies do not have those monstrously high infrastructure costs. Take, e.g., the attempt to have cars run on batteries that you exchange for full ones, to save you the charging time. What you need is
a) service stations
b) heavy transport to and from them
c) charging locations.
Hm, golly, they all exist:
a) gas stations
b) trucks running to/from them
c) power plants with excess capacities at certain times.

So yes, established systems have an advantage. But it is not as great as you suggest, especially not for new setups.
Lets examine this:
Why would oil companies (who own service stations) allow them to be used as battery exchange centres? Secondly, with oil and gas ad coal accounting for 86% of the world's energy usage, where is the electrical generation power required to support these electric cars going to come from? Even if oil in cars was substituted for oil burnt in electricity stations to charge these cars (which would have a significant efficiency gain, as well as reduce CO2 emissions to point sources that are much easier to clean-up and sequester: ie. I think this would be a good idea), the problem is that the electricity grid would probably have to double or triple its capacity. Not really practical.

Indeed - and you just did an extremely goof job of pointing out my problem with cap&trade and 'offset costs'. And you opened an entirely different can of worms. Short version: Not $30, but $3000! Figure in the added cost of using fossil energies compared to renewable, and add THAT to the price. Then, the profits would be gone. (OK, based on the assumptions that 1) AGW is happening, and 2) is has a negative balance).
Why would the price of carbon ever be $3000 / tonne? At $30 a tonne, it is actually economic to sequester it.

ainwood said:
Why would the price of carbon ever be $3000 / tonne? At $30 a tonne, it is actually economic to sequester it.

Heck $30-$45 dollars AU a tonne is what is expected by Treasury in Australia for the long term price of carbon - or so they said in their address to other government agencies. That will hold our levels stable with a significant decrease per capita considering our population is expected to double - and that isn't accounting for sequestration either from my understanding.

Well, they can see the writing on the wall, and want to have a say on how they're going to be regulated. Cap & Trade is what I learned in economics was the best way to handle pollution (for all players), though a tax is often easier.

Your breakdown is nice, but it forgets that they've paid money to obfuscate the issue and to delay political will. If it really was MORE profitable, and they were rational actors, then you'd predict that they'd have been pushing the AGW agenda for years. I don't see any evidence of that.

I think that they've done what any polluting industry would do. Delay regulation as long as possible, using whatever tactics they feel like, and then try to influence the regulation when they can't stop it.

Your breakdown is nice, but it forgets that they've paid money to obfuscate the issue and to delay political will. If it really was MORE profitable, and they were rational actors, then you'd predict that they'd have been pushing the AGW agenda for years. I don't see any evidence of that.
If you look at those submissions I linked to, the key point is that every oil company is pushing for something that is fair and global. This is the primary reason that the oil companies haven't been pushing for regulation. It will only be profitable if it is implemented globally and everyone is treated the same (otherwise it is just as anti-competitive as any tarriff).

Also, the costs and lead times for setting up sequestration are significant. Oil companies don't want to invest in something until the returns are a bit more certain.

ainwood, sorry - my reply will have to wait. I just spent nearly a week caring for my sick kids, and now have to catch up on work (deadlines are looming).
Please REMIND me to answer if I do not so so within 10 days!

Your 10 days are up, bud ;) Just butting in for the heck of it.

Cloud cover is the data point I'm waiting for. The increased humidity is going to compound the retained heat, clearly. Albedo could slow the rate of heat increase, though, to negligible levels. (though it doesn't seem to have been doing so, so far)

I'm worried about losing the buffering benefit of the sea ice. My beer cooler stays at 0 C when I'm on the beach, until the ice is melted.

I think this is one of the points that the IPCC models don't model particularly well. The assumption is that the increased water vapour causes an increased greenhouse effect. The net effect depends on where the clouds form.

Well, the science is slowly coming out on cloud cover. I'm not satisfied with this study, because they do not rule out correlation working both ways. Well, they do, but not as well as I would have liked. However, the net trend is into the 'clouds probably won't help' direction.

This was published in Science, but I'm linking the popularised version.

Strong Evidence That Cloud Changes May Exacerbate Global Warming
The role of clouds in climate change has been a major question for decades. As the earth warms under increasing greenhouse gases, it is not known whether clouds will dissipate, letting in more of the sun's heat energy and making the earth warm even faster, or whether cloud cover will increase, blocking the Sun's rays and actually slowing down global warming.
Using observational data collected over the last 50 years and complex climate models, the team has established that low-level stratiform clouds appear to dissipate as the ocean warms, indicating that changes in these clouds may enhance the warming of the planet
The result of their analysis was a surprising degree of agreement between two multi-decade datasets that were not only independent of each other, but that employed fundamentally different measurement methods. One set consisted of collected visual observations from ships over the last 50 years, and the other was based on data collected from weather satellites.

"The agreement we found between the surface-based observations and the satellite data was almost shocking," said Clement, a professor of meteorology and physical oceanography at the University of Miami,
What was not so encouraging, however, was the fact that most of the state-of-the-art climate models from modeling centers around the world do not reproduce this cloud behavior.
Together, the observations and the Hadley Centre model results provide evidence that low-level stratiform clouds, which currently shield the earth from the sun's radiation, may dissipate in warming climates, allowing the oceans to further heat up, which would then cause more cloud dissipation.

"This is somewhat of a vicious cycle potentially exacerbating global warming," said Clement. "But these findings provide a new way of looking at clouds changes. This can help to improve the simulation of clouds in climate models, which will lead to more accurate projections of future climate changes. "

One key finding in the study is that it is not the warming of the ocean alone that reduces cloudiness -- a weakening of the trade winds also appears to play a critical role. All models predict a warming ocean, but if they don't have the correct relationship between clouds and atmospheric circulation, they won't produce a realistic cloud response.

Outside of that, June 2009 seems to have been the warmest ocean surface so far. And I think there's reason to suspect that ocean acidity is something to worry about as well.

Top Bottom