Global warming strikes again...

One hurdle rarely mentioned by proponents of fusion or fission is that rare elements are required
in the structures housing the reactors to prevent embrittlement. There is a huge demand for those
elements in many other industries and they can't be recycled in any way because they have been
transmuted.

Therefore, anyone wanting to build reactors needs to show that they have a guaranteed supply of
those elements for the lifetime of the plant. That's a pretty tall order. There are also a lot of
difficulties in estimating the cost of disposing of the plant after its useful life.

I've probably attached this reference from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists before, but here it
is again.
That is really interesting. One quote that is illuminating (pun intended):

The amount of solar power that reaches the planets surface is 5,000 times mankinds current global power consumption, or about 80 petawatts. Contrast this with the estimated 40 million tons of exploitable land-based uranium. Let us generously assume this is all economically extractable and produces the maximum available energy of 77 terajoules per kilogram (Hermann, 2006). That is roughly equivalent to 80 petawatts of sunlight for only one year. Thus there is almost as much energy in the sunlight falling on Earth in one year as all the known exploitable uranium.​

That is really interesting. One quote that is illuminating (pun intended):

The amount of solar power that reaches the planets surface is 5,000 times mankinds current global power consumption, or about 80 petawatts. Contrast this with the estimated 40 million tons of exploitable land-based uranium. Let us generously assume this is all economically extractable and produces the maximum available energy of 77 terajoules per kilogram (Hermann, 2006). That is roughly equivalent to 80 petawatts of sunlight for only one year. Thus there is almost as much energy in the sunlight falling on Earth in one year as all the known exploitable uranium.​

I often use that paper as an example of the enormous challenges facing nuke proponents.
They need to show all of the inherent costs, from the first day, through all the legal challenges, and right up until
the last day of the dismantling and disposing the entire plant. And where it will be disposed, and whether there is
an iron-clad approval to do so. Good luck with that!
It's well known that most of the estimated costs for previous reactors were complete and utter claptrap.

Also, Derek Abbott is from my Uni. :)

Pollution. It's terrible.

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1463517703226937348

Air pollution kills an estimated ten million people each year. But it does much more than that, too. A long thread on what it means that more than 90 percent of the world's population is breathing dangerously polluted air. (1/x)

"Here is just a partial list of the things, short of death rates, we know are affected by air pollution. GDP, with a 10 per cent increase in pollution reducing output by almost a full percentage point, according to an OECD report last year."

"Cognitive performance, with a study showing that cutting Chinese pollution to the standards required in the US would improve the average student’s ranking in verbal tests by 26 per cent and in maths by 13 per cent."

"In Los Angeles, after $700 air purifiers were installed in schools, student performance improved almost as much as it would if class sizes were reduced by a third."

"Heart disease is more common in polluted air, as are many types of cancer, and acute and chronic respiratory diseases like asthma, and strokes. The incidence of Alzheimer’s can triple.
(One study found early markers of Alzheimer’s in 40 per cent of autopsies conducted on those in high-pollution areas and in none of those outside them.)

"Rates of other sorts of dementia increase too, as does Parkinson’s. Air pollution has also been linked to mental illness of all kinds, with a recent paper showing that even small increases in local pollution raise the need for treatment by a third, and to worse memory..."

"...attention and vocabulary, as well as ADHD and autism spectrum disorders."

"Pollution has been shown to damage the development of neurons in the brain, and proximity to a coal plant can deform a baby’s DNA in the womb. It even accelerates the degeneration of the eyesight."

"A high pollution level in the year a baby is born has been shown to result in reduced earnings and labour force participation at the age of thirty."

"The relationship of pollution to premature births and low birth weight is so strong that the introduction of t E-ZPass reduced both problems in areas close to toll plazas (by 10.8 per cent and 11.8 per cent respectively), by cutting down on the exhaust expelled by idling cars."

"Extremely premature births, another study found, were 80 per cent more likely when mothers lived in areas of heavy traffic."

"Women breathing exhaust fumes during pregnancy gave birth to children with higher rates of paediatric leukaemia, kidney cancer, eye tumours and malignancies in the ovaries and testes."

"Infant death rates increased in line with pollution levels, as did heart malformations."

"And those breathing dirtier air in childhood exhibited significantly higher rates of self-harm in adulthood, with an increase of just five micrograms of small particulates a day associated, in 1.4 million people in Denmark, with a 42 per cent rise in violence towards oneself."

"Depression in teenagers quadruples; suicide becomes more common too."

"Stock market returns are lower on days with higher air pollution, a study found this year. Surgical outcomes are worse. Crime goes up with increased particulate concentrations, especially violent crime."

"When there’s more smog in the air, chess players make more mistakes, and bigger ones. Politicians speak more simplistically, and baseball umpires make more bad calls."

"In 2019, a comprehensive global review by the Forum of International Respiratory Societies found that air pollution damages every organ, indeed virtually every cell, in the body. Nanoparticles of pollution have been found inside the brainstems of even the very young."

"But you don’t have to wait until birth to see the effects of breathing particulate matter. The impact begins in the womb. In 2019, a small-scale study found particles of black carbon in every single placenta examined..."

"...including those from mothers who lived in areas where the air was thought to be clean, with thousands of particles found in every cubic millimetre."

"For those who worry about microplastics in the flesh of fish, this is a yet more invasive category of intrusion. Of course, there are also microplastics in the air, and being breathed. They’ve been found in placentas too." (x/x)

We have since many years by now this hype about blue zones where people get much and much older.
All kinds of articles on what they eat, what social and societal structure etc, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_zone

Seldom mentioning the physical-medical effects that 3 from the 5 are islands and the other two coastal.

Would be interesting to chart longevity with ofc pollution (kinds of) and also amount of pollen (also from trees), desert dust, salt crystals (sea water droplet evaporised), etc.

We have since many years by now this hype about blue zones where people get much and much older.
All kinds of articles on what they eat, what social and societal structure etc, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_zone

Seldom mentioning the physical-medical effects that 3 from the 5 are islands and the other two coastal.

Would be interesting to chart longevity with ofc pollution (kinds of) and also amount of pollen (also from trees), desert dust, salt crystals (sea water droplet evaporised), etc.

Coastal dwellers have access to many trace elements (like iodine) from birth that are not as easily
available to inlanders and especially highland dwellers.

I love item number 6 on their list, if it's what I think it means...
6. Wine @ 5.

My parents had trouble getting me to sleep when I was very young, and my Lithuanian nickname among
adults was Zuikis (hare) because they said I slept with my eyes open.
When I was about 18 months years old, my parents found it remarkable that a friend of theirs who they
used as a babysitter said that she never had any trouble. They eventually discovered that her trick
was to cut the milk in my baby bottle with about 150ml of brandy.

Unless item 6 means 5pm, I could live to 150!!!!

Last edited:
A UK study found that Substituting Car Trips for E-Bikes (so not banning cars altogether and making everybody go by bike, just changing trips in the range of bikes), could remove 24.4 million tonnes of carbon per year.

Transport emissions

In 2019, domestic transport was responsible for emitting 122 MtCO2 e (million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent). This means transport is the largest emitting sector of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, producing 27% of the UK’s total emissions in 2019 (455 MtCO2 e). This is a 1.8% reduction in emissions from 2018.

So with UK Transport Emissions of 122 Million Tonnes of carbon every year, so that is a 1/5 reduction of Transport Emissions just with E-Bikes. And 24.4/455 is 5.36%, so over 5% of total emissions.

Using an E-Bike is also healthier for you and those around you, better at moving more people through areas, the infrastructure for bike lanes and such aren't as hostile to pedestrians as car infrastructure, it costs less than a car either electric or ICE, its just so much better.

A sensible climate change policy could just be a government ordering Millions of E-Bikes. Given economies of scale, they could order them cheaper, and could require domestic production (jobs), and for a relatively reasonable price, achieve drastic emissions reductions.

But until that happens, consider buying a E-Bike.

A UK study found that Substituting Car Trips for E-Bikes (so not banning cars altogether and making everybody go by bike, just changing trips in the range of bikes), could remove 24.4 million tonnes of carbon per year.

Transport emissions

So with UK Transport Emissions of 122 Million Tonnes of carbon every year, so that is a 1/5 reduction of Transport Emissions just with E-Bikes. And 24.4/455 is 5.36%, so over 5% of total emissions.

Using an E-Bike is also healthier for you and those around you, better at moving more people through areas, the infrastructure for bike lanes and such aren't as hostile to pedestrians as car infrastructure, it costs less than a car either electric or ICE, its just so much better.

A sensible climate change policy could just be a government ordering Millions of E-Bikes. Given economies of scale, they could order them cheaper, and could require domestic production (jobs), and for a relatively reasonable price, achieve drastic emissions reductions.

But until that happens, consider buying a E-Bike.
I have said before, these appear to be the primary form of personal transport on Tel Aviv. Just saying to demonstrate that they really can be a major solution for intra-city transport.

What humanity should eat to stay healthy and save the planet

I am quite amazed they are saying 250g of dairy is a planetary healthy diet. I wonder if that is what the world produces keeping ruminants on bits of the world where no other agriculture is possible? I am sure that does not mean we should be producing milk on land which could have crops. Perhaps I should actually read the article, rather than just looking at the pictures.

A sensible climate change policy could just be a government ordering Millions of E-Bikes.

The UK government could merely change the law and let it be legal for people
to buy and ride E-Scooters instead of having the police prosecute their riders.

A lot of the commuting costs could also be eliminated by allowing employees to sleep in offices
and shops and ware houses etc.. by abolishing the zoning laws that prohibit such use.

Sadly government in hock to received wisdom and lobbyists is part of the problem.

It's dairy, not meat. You first get a lot of dairy from the process, and it produces some secondary meat from the males and old females. They eat a lot of things that are considered waste from other human food production, either through process or inefficiency, they can graze on land that should not be tilled, but often is. Contrary to the zeitgeist of animal-agriculture-usually-bad. Pasturage can be pretty green healthy with locally compatible grasses, bugs and critters and whatnot.

Why do we care about grams of food though, their nutrient density varies so wildly is a ridiculous way to measure intake across categories.

Last edited:
It's dairy, not meat. You first get a lot of dairy from the process, and it produces some secondary meat from the males and old females. They eat a lot of things that are considered waste from other human food production, either through process or inefficiency, they can graze on land that should not be tilled, but often is. Contrary to the zeitgeist of animal-agriculture-usually-bad. Pasturage can be pretty green healthy with locally compatible grasses, bugs and critters and whatnot.

Why do we care about grams of food though, their nutrient density varies so wildly is a ridiculous way to measure intake across categories.
The inputs really are not that different between dairy and beef production, and they are very tightly bound. I never quite get why dairy is considered so much better.

I have not really seen much use of things that are considered waste in ruminant production, unlike pig production. I do not really know what goes into concentrate, but that does not add up to very much.

In areas where it is the best use of land I think it is good, and if that adds up to 250g of dairy a day for everyone I would be delighted, as I consider my love of camembert to be one of my climate sins, but I will be surprised. Again, still not actually read the article, it is really long.

....my love of camembert...

I am a stilton man myself.

Plant food is all very well, but sometimes one has to eat a greater volume to get the same amount of calories/protein.
That requires energy to transport, a lot is seasonal and if eaten off season a lot of energy is incurred in keeping it chilled.

So, you can feed them chicken bones/blood/etc and food garbage like expired candy and stuff as supplements. It's a legit use for things that is better than landfilling or composting them. There are a huge amount of acres that should be taken our of irrigation in places and put back in pasture. You just simply get more food out of the cow milking it than you do eating it. They have a place.

So, you can feed them chicken bones/blood/etc and food garbage like expired candy and stuff as supplements. It's a legit use for things that is better than landfilling or composting them. There are a huge amount of acres that should be taken our of irrigation in places and put back in pasture. You just simply get more food out of the cow milking it than you do eating it. They have a place.
But you have to keep making calves to keep getting milk. It seems something that technology should be able to deal with, how to make milk without calves, but it comes with many issues, not least animal welfare.

You have to keep making calves to have something to milk, they get old. You get less-premium(than say angus) meat when you slaughter all the dairy steers young. That's the efficiency. I'm guessing it's all to mostly AI breeding anyhow by this point, very few bulls maintained. 1 per hundreds/thousands.

https://theconversation.com/austral...ire-was-not-normal-and-we-can-prove-it-172506

More and more area burning:
file-20211126-13-2dcq3v.png

file-20211126-17-bhkkea.png

And additionally we're seeing area not adapted for fire burning:

We are seeing fires growing the most in areas once less likely to be affected by fire, such as cool wet Tasmanian forests unaccustomed to large fires as well as the warmest forests in Queensland previously kept safe from fire by rainfall and a humid microclimate. This includes ancient Gondwanan rainforests not adapted for fire.

Republican State Legislators are now planning bills to Punish Banks and Financial institutions that choose to not invest in Fossil Fuel companies. You know the companies that continue to be incredibly shaky, with increased Volatility and poor performance as they get outcompeted even on a level playing field, by other sources of energy.

It's pure regulatory corruption. It's saying that even if fossil fuels are non-viable in a free market, that businesses should be FORCED to prop them up. Locking in climate change, even with continued technological and technical leaps forward. Corporate best practices, and making sure the planet doesn't cook (which is good for business), is now out of control 'woke' behaviour.

All modelled on the anti-BDS bills, that restrict free speech and association.

It's a death cult. Pro Covid. Pro Climate Change. They want you to die.

Anyway just to let you guys know. If you have Superannuation, or a 401K or whatever equivalent you have, there are ethical investment options, that don't invest in fossil fuel companies, along with unethical regimes and the military-industrial complex. And performance-wise, they tend to do about the same, or even better than non-ethical investment options. If the cost of finance gets raised on these businesses and regimes, it hurts them. This is of course why Republicans backed by their fossil fuel masters want to stop it from even being a possibility.

Last edited:
Republican State Legislators are now planning bills to Punish Banks and Financial institutions that choose to not invest in Fossil Fuel companies. You know the companies that continue to be incredibly shaky, with increased Volatility and poor performance as they get outcompeted even on a level playing field, by other sources of energy.

It's pure regulatory corruption. It's saying that even if fossil fuels are non-viable in a free market, that businesses should be FORCED to prop them up. Locking in climate change, even with continued technological and technical leaps forward. Corporate best practices, and making sure the planet doesn't cook (which is good for business), is now out of control 'woke' behaviour.

All modelled on the anti-BDS bills, that restrict free speech and association.

It's a death cult. Pro Covid. Pro Climate Change. They want you to die.

Anyway just to let you guys know. If you have Superannuation, or a 401K or whatever equivalent you have, there are ethical investment options, that don't invest in fossil fuel companies, along with unethical regimes and the military-industrial complex. And performance-wise, they tend to do about the same, or even better than non-ethical investment options. If the cost of finance gets raised on these businesses and regimes, it hurts them. This is of course why Republicans backed by their fossil fuel masters want to stop it from even being a possibility.

Convulsions of the old guard

Happens in all kinds of groups, structures, etc and happens all the time.
Is also human nature of older people in groups to defend their privileges without doing the efforts in time and changing themselves to move onward as coherent group for the good of all and the future. Many office wars rooted in these fossils.
They get more vocal and more nasty when the threats on their interests get more real. Elementary selfpreservation.

"younger people should know their place"

Top Bottom