God damn this game is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, I hear ya...

To be fair, even though the AI build fighters in Civ4 and used them to decent effect, I think that if the AI in Civ5 did use fighters and bombers, difficulty would increase greatly just from that.

Were there good air campaigns in IV? Planes in Civ have always been pretty abstract.

In cIV my bombers/fighters would meet enemy ai fighter patrols all the time. The weakness of cIV air campaign was along offensive lines. The air war in ciV is missing completely (minus Japan's UU which I have yet to see but hear it's there). If your message to Firaxis is that civ players do not care for an air war than I cannot agree with you.

Played Civ 5 for 240 hours now, and played the series from 1991. Despite some bugs, and a few issues here and there, I must say this is clearly the best vanilla CIV ever.

I remember the days I played Civ 1 and Civ 2, and yes, no game will ever give the same magical feeling I felt those days. But I remember what visions I had for Civ. I played a game called Panzer General those days too, and I got the thought; how awesome wouldn't it be to implement this battle system for the Civ-series, and now, 15 years later my dream has become reality.

I remember when Civ 3 came out, and how I realy liked bombardment from units being introduced, and how disapointed I was about the suicidal catapults in Civ 4, but all in all I loved both games. Civ 4 vanilla had a lot of interesting new features as well, but I felt it missed alot I liked about Civ 3. After 2 expansions of Civ4, bombardment was the only thing I missed from Civ3.... ;)

Now Civ 5. So many great solutions on many of the "problems" the civ-series have had. No more superstacks of doom, no more instantly raized cities, no more overpowered tech trading (abusing the AI or destroying multiplayer), no more abuse of knowing the mathematics of AI relations. We also have the most interesting concept of culture to date, the greatest game mechanic for golden ages, city states are introduced with intresting impacts on gameplay, the terrain is finally decisive in warfare, swamps are back, the maps looks stunning, the auto generated maps make more interesting maps then ever before and more realistic maps at the same time.

I also have my complaints, but they are on some small details here and there. Some of them unbalances the game too, in my opinion, but damn, this is things that can be easely improved. Even the terrible multiplayer lobby can be improved, and some other mp issues we have. I will not mention my concerns here. My point is that too many people in these threads seems so focused on all the small negative things that they forget to see the big picture. This game is really awesome, and a true incarnation of the previous games. Firaxis has moved in the right direction with alot of things here, they have not dumbed the game down.

The patches and expansions will without any doubts make this the king of all Civilization games. I'm a believer, and to Shafer; you are a genious! :)

I completely agree. Like you, I'll always retain a special fond memory for Civ II, but this *is* an exciting new version of the game, doing away with some of the more annoying perversities of Civ IV (which was a good game for all that, of course). Religion as applied, for example; it almost wrecked diplomacy. And like you, I am so happy that the asinine tech trading is finally gone, after four previous versions of the game. If I enjoy the game as much as I do now, just think of what another couple of patches and some tweaks will do!

So, who hates it? Just curious. If they're hanging around the forums, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Can you point out someone who hates it?

Don't be disingenuous. If you truly haven't seen any any of the innumerable hate posts against Civ V, I suggest *you* do a bit of reading around here. You'll find plenty of posts from people who almost make me start to dislike Civ IV although I enjoyed it in its day. Above all, I'm baffled that they don't all simply go back to the forums for Civ IV and talk to each other there about what an unsurpassable game the four is.

this is really just an AI problem though. It's not like the developers left planes out altogether.

In cIV my bombers/fighters would meet enemy ai fighter patrols all the time. The weakness of cIV air campaign was along offensive lines. The air war in ciV is missing completely (minus Japan's UU which I have yet to see but hear it's there). If your message to Firaxis is that civ players do not care for an air war than I cannot agree with you.

True. I don't think there are enough weights on the units or something. :dunno:

But if the AI makes the AI actually use air units, the game will be very awesome. Just because I love having to fight for air supremacy.

Poor guy!

I think you are pathetic. Honestly. Why aren't you back at the forums for Civ IV by now? You've spent weeks whining about how terrible Civ V is and trying to deprive over people of the fun, preferably by persuading them not to buy the game. The same goes for your soulmate Thormodr, whom you keep quoting.

Moderator Action: Please be civil, no need to call anyone pathetic.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

1 out of 3 showed pretty clear? As in 33%? In any topic I would say at least 3 out of 4 is needed to say "it's pretty clear", and that would still only be 75%

And by the way, I was one of thos 1 out of 3. The problem is, the more I play civ5 the less I like it. It's not I'm finding new things I don't like. It's just, I don't know, I get bored. When it first got released, I already saw it's flaws, and still thought it was very good. But after some weeks, I surprised myslef switching to other games after some turns into civ5.

I suggest you do the rest of us a favour too. Stop posting about how much Civ V sucks and go back to playing Civ IV. I see your posts everywhere here in the Civ V forums.

this is really just an AI problem though. It's not like the developers left planes out altogether.

I agree! Now we are having a constructive argument. If the ai can be tweaked to build planes and to apply them than I would have more fun playing ciV. I love having all three phases (ground, air, water) in my strategy games. There is much to like in ciV and once these 3 elements are all implamented for the ai to use effectivly than the games value will greatly increase. The next patch is looking to address the diplomacy and the ai so hopefully the air campaign will be a part of this.

Moderator Action: A reminder to all, please discuss the content of other people's posts not the posters themselves. If this discussion does not get more on a civil track, it will be closed. Thanks. :)

Moderator Action: A reminder to all, please discuss the content of other people's posts not the posters themselves. If this discussion does not get more on a civil track, it will be closed. Thanks. :)

From my lawyer: "My client previously offered a bet for 10 bucks. He believed that the original poster was "working for Fraxis" based on the content of his post. Under the clarified rules my client is not permitted to talk about the poster, only the content of the post. He therefore recants his previous statement about the poster and offers a new statement in line with the forum rules, which he respects."

Betcha 10 bucks the content in the first post was written by a Firaxis employee.

From my lawyer: "Furthermore my client would like to clarify that it was never his intent to call someone a Fraxis employee as an insult. He didn't intend for it to be an insult. On the contrary my client seeks to be a Firaxis employee as well. He seeks employment responsibilities that include posting positive things about an (arguably) crappy game on these forums. He is envious of people that have that job. Please contact him directly to receive his formal application for said position."

Moderator Action: Again, assuming that someone only likes a game because they work for the company that made it is inappropriate.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

From my lawyer: "My client previously offered a bet for 10 bucks. He believed that the original poster was "working for Fraxis" based on the content of his post. Under the clarified rules my client is not permitted to talk about the poster, only the content of the post. He therefore recants his previous statement about the poster and offers a new statement in line with the forum rules, which he respects."

Betcha 10 bucks the content in the first post was written by a Firaxis employee.

From my lawyer: "Furthermore my client would like to clarify that it was never his intent to call someone a Fraxis employee as an insult. He didn't intend for it to be an insult. On the contrary my client seeks to be a Firaxis employee as well. He seeks employment responsibilities that include posting positive things about an (arguably) crappy game on these forums. He is envious of people that have that job. Please contact him directly to receive his formal application for said position."

I would love to have a job where I just post nice things all the time.

"The AI not building isn't a bug! It's a feature! Go play on Deity!:mad:"

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom