Gods and Kings on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on sales of game releases, both post & pre release.

1. Unlike movies, games are often not shipped to stores early; (the shipping process to the stores often starts on release date). If the store is not in a major metro area it might not actually receive the first shipment of box copies until the next day.
Way back when Civ IV Warlords first came out, that's what happened to me; clerk told me they'd not received any copies yet and weren't expecting them to arrive until 11 AM the next day.

2. How fast you get a pre order of a boxed order from amazon depends entirely on the shipping rate you chose. If you used the free shipping option, it is likely to start shipping either day of or the day after the release and arrive the 5 to 7 business days after that.
If you instead choose 2 day shipping, you'll get it much faster; those will have started shipping no later than evening of release date. (And will only take 2 days to ship.)
Also Amazon has a price guarantee for pre-orders (if Amazon later lowers the price before release date, you'll get charged less.)

3. It appears going by steam ads that steam often has some bonuses for pre ordering. But until they announce, no one is going to know what it is.

UPDATE
from Overload a.k.a GREG (of 2k)
"@JohnBigOz I just got confirmation that Civ V Gods & Kings will be available to preorder on Steam on Monday!"

P.S - Did you guys hear Liz left 2k? :(

I'd even settle for a 5% discount on preorder.
Heck, just having the game available the 19th instead of the 22th is a nice 'bonus' if that were the case.

I got Portal 2 when it was released on 19th of April, and I lived in Ireland, if you pre-order from Steam I do think there is a possibility you'll get it early than Europe.. we'll see <shrug>

I got Portal 2 when it was released on 19th of April, and I lived in Ireland, if you pre-order from Steam I do think there is a possibility you'll get it early than Europe.. we'll see <shrug>
With the release of vanilla there were also different dates.
See this for instance.

I expect it to be the same with the release of G&K

My recollection of pre-order for Civ V was that there was no bonus on pre-order through Steam. There was a Direct2Drive special that I used. It ended up being nothing but a key that unlocked a Steam download on release day.

I just wish it was available for Pre-order already.

More on sales of game releases, both post & pre release.

1. Unlike movies, games are often not shipped to stores early; (the shipping process to the stores often starts on release date). If the store is not in a major metro area it might not actually receive the first shipment of box copies until the next day.
Way back when Civ IV Warlords first came out, that's what happened to me; clerk told me they'd not received any copies yet and weren't expecting them to arrive until 11 AM the next day.

That's rather false.

Stores get copies shipped before hand (maybe 1-2 days at most) so that they can sell it. - It might depend on how far away from a shipping route the store is, but as long as it's not a corner store, they'll have it if they ordered it (sometimes they don't get enough though).

Why do you think there's always 'midnight sales'? Or issues like Walmart employees just putting the games on the shelves before the actual release date?

so far i found out you can't buy then download the game you actually have to buy the disk game and that sucks because i want to download on instead because after you buy then download you get it when releases but when you order or pre-order you have to wait between 3-10 buisness days and those days will be very very long and i don't want to wait

I have all the dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom