GOTM #11 *Spoilers* Thread

I agree that using warriors early on is not stupid. Warriors are the basic scouting units, barbarian defenders and hut-takers, and will be your Military Police early in the game. In my previous post I'm referring to the "warrior-gambit" as how the "warrior-gambit" is termed in CFC(and most civ communities I would imagine) -- conquering cities with a rush of warriors: regular or not. And I still say "warrior-gambit" in no-reload games is stupid, dumb, and suicidal.

Originally posted by FACEMAN
Using warriors early on isn't necessarily stupid or a high stakes gamble. It all comes down to the question HOW you use them.

What I did in this game, was essentially, what is also written down in a lot of strategy guides. I followed the chinese unit/settler pairs around and attacked as soon as the city was built. I never attacked a spearman with warriors, nor did I start a fight, I was not sure to win (which means+75%) when I didn't want to loose. (sometimes it happens that u need to sacrifice units)
The high art of war is to always be able to decide who fights where when and against whom.
This is the main difference between a human brain and th AI. The AI cannot "smell" a trap, that you constructed.

FACEMAN

Originally posted by Cartouche Bee
I did not get a free settler even after waiting quite along time to pop the closest goody hut. [Got pottery, oh happy day.]

Perhaps I can win the worst position at 1650BC with a win over 9300?:lol:

Nah, if Serg conquered in 10AD, that would give him 10000+only in bonus! I didn't even get close!:(

thefrenchzulu,

I'm not expecting to rank very high this GOTM cause I had a real poor start. My second city had disease (lost the two population points I needed to spit out a settler)before it could finish it's settler so I had to make an archer and then start my settler production again (setback = 14 turns). I wonder how many people who had only 2 cities in 1650BC will end up with a score over 9300?

CB

I honestly think you did very well! Had a quick look, I had 4 cities. Three captured. I built the minimum of cities early. Went full out attack. Warrior, 3xarcher and the only warriors till I could build charriots! A bit under rated, but good for taking out countering archer!

I would still love to see Serg's game. Though I think that I could have finished by 10AD, I got bored and lost interest in the fight. I ended with lots of gold while being under monarchy. I could have rushed more units, but didn't. Should have. My target was 250AD and that's about where I ended so I'm happy:)

Originally posted by thefrenchzulu
I honestly think you did very well! Had a quick look, I had 4 cities. Three captured. I built the minimum of cities early. Went full out attack. Warrior, 3xarcher and the only warriors till I could build charriots! A bit under rated, but good for taking out countering archer!

I would still love to see Serg's game. Though I think that I could have finished by 10AD, I got bored and lost interest in the fight. I ended with 1000+gold while being under monarch. I could have rushed more units, but didn't. Should have. My target was 250AD and that's about where I ended so I'm happy:)

And you should be happy! Congrats on a great finish! :goodjob:

CB

Thanks. I made some stupid mistakes during the game, but I'm still learning!;)

I ended up with to many galleys, ignored building cities and ended up with crappy AI cities. Should have disbanded them and moved them to more suitable places. Researched monarchy and didn't switch immediately! (costed a turn) shouldn't have researched it at all. Didn't research horseback riding. Should have. Only researched two things in the entire game!

I did do one thing that was good!:) Moved my palace early. ;)

This month my plan was to go for a fast space victory. My usual strategy for this involves avoiding war as it is a distraction to the task at hand. This month however, my strategy included an early conquest of a nearby civ or 2 then focus on the spaceship. My hope was to trim a few turns out of the early part of the game.

As it turns out, there really was no alternative to an early war on this map. There was just no way to grab enough land without warfare.

I took out the Chinese very early (around 2000 BC) with 7 archers. Since the Japanese are militaristic, I built some barracks and most of the archers were veterans. This also allowed for about a half dozen elite battles and a chance at an early great leader but no I had luck with that.

The Chinese had 3 towns when the war began and my pattern of attack was to always take out the capital. I noticed during this war that if you wait until the town’s borders expand, the town does not get automatically razed when you conquer it. This is a big factor in an early conquest, as you usually want to keep all the towns conquered.

With the Chinese out of the way, I then focused on expansion. There still was not enough room on the island to share with the French. On top of that, two towns flipped to the French despite my rushing temples quickly in most towns.

My plan was to wait until Chivalry was discovered then take out the French with a flood of samurais. This would trigger a well-timed golden age and also provided a good opportunity for a great leader to build the Forbidden Palace.

Once I discovered Chivalry, I started producing samurais from most cities and upgraded all existing chariots to samurais. It took about 20 turns to get a sufficient number (about 15) then the attack began. The first few turns were slow; some effort was required to repel their counter attacks, but with the golden age production, I quickly had a sufficient force to wipe them out completely.

This is the point I'm at now. I have taken out most of their best cities and have about 10 samurais near their capital. They have no access to horses or iron (unless they are trading for some) and they are down to about 6 towns. I haven't got a great leader yet but there is still allot of opportunities. My plan is to beat them down to the point where they are willing to give me all their techs and any towns on remote islands then finish them off.

This should give me complete control of the home island and the island south east of it. Once fully developed I should be able to research techs every 4 turns through the modern age.

I built my first city on the horse, barraks, then built about 6 chariots b4 I researched horseback riding. Upgraded all of them to horseman(20 gold each) then unleashed them on China. quickly took 2 cities and left with some elite horses.... This was fast and effective(think much better than the "worrior gambit"). I quicked marched my horses into the French territories... If you get a GL, save him for the forbidden city near French territory, and you are on a good pace to a fast conquest game.

Airness

Arrrr, mateys! I just put the finishing touches on my cultural victory last night. My cultural skills are a little second-rate, and I thought the Japanese would be challenging enough to teach me a thing or two.
At the start it seemed clever to rush headlong for Construction and get some Colusseums built early for the big culture total. Being an emporer game I figured the GL and Pyramids would be out of reach, and I was right. Couldn't even get the Oracle! Even with the advantage of a settler from the goody hut! So a 20,000 city wasn't going to happen. I kept to my research and my temple and settler building while France and China pounded each other like two bulls in a water closet. I traded Iron to China, but they apparently couldn't do much with it and lost the war...badly. I assimilated Tsingtao in a prime location, and when Beijing fell into French hands and the culture border shrank to nothing, my settlers were there to claim the lions share of my half of the continent. Still quite early in the game, without all that messy fighting. Meanwhile I did acquire Construction, but on the same turn as the French, so it didn't trade for much. I only got up 1 real early colluseum in Osaka, by the end of the game it was worth 1148 culture points. Looking back maybe I should've gone for Literature and built Libraries for their higher culture yield, but hey, on the bright side I didn't have to trade for construction and I did get Some culture out of it. Other notable culture structures by the end of the game:
Kyoto-Temple:1582, Library:1623,Colossus:2097 (insurmountable!), Lighthouse:1136, Shakespeare's: 1016 (Built in the 1500's!!), University:1308
Osaka-Library:1521,University:1144
Catherdral of Edo:1077
Temple of Tsingtao:1008
Temple of Satsuma:1204
Paris- JS's Cathedral:1110
Temple of Tokyo: 1376
Needless to say I had temples and libraries etc. all over the dang place. Getting them built before 300 AD or so really makes a huge difference when their values double later on- I certainly could have done better in this respect. Too many Samurais...I never thought I'd say that.
So yeah. Once Chivalry hit and I had the Golden Age France declined to nothing over several centuries. Most of my science in this period came from making peace with France for tech, then attacking again- being cultured doesn't mean I'm civilized! Persia and Germany ganged up on Rome and eliminated them. Persia then wiped out Germany and became my sole company on the planet. Interesting how other players had different top dogs on that other continent- I think Persia got lucky in combat and razed important German cities and they never got over it.
After this it wasn't as boring as it might seem. Persia charged exorbitant prices for Incense and Wines, and it seemed easier to just take them by force. The battle was quite difficult, but I got my two cities with the luxuries and really didn't need Persia anymore. I hope it isn't against the rules to use Mapstat to judge your distance from a Domination victory- I stayed about 30 squares beneath the limit until close to the end, when it shrank to 8. For scoring this certainly could have been better, too.
When it was clear that Japan would dominate the world, Persia attacked again and razed several cities of mine on their continent. This war was quite fun, Destroyers were just making the scene, Persia had a ton of cavalry giving it a go. I was almost sorry to stop when I finally hit 100,000 culture, but at least I got to see Persia grovel.
So, I'm curious to see if anyone managed a 20,000 city in this game. It'a been tough to do in my opinion. Anybody who built the Pyamids or GL should have been able to beat me culturally. And my finish was at a fairly late date, no big bonus, my score is no whopper for sure. I really enjoyed this game, and I can't wait for the results to come out. Nice game, Thunderfall!

The Great Library gave my Kyoto no less than 2832 culture points, with the Hanging Gardens a good second at 2136, followed by the Sistine Chapel (1902), the Colossus (1824), our Library (1767) and our Temple (1438). :)

Dirty Chinese, never cleaned up their mess ....

That's a good game you had, Ribinnah. I gotta try an OCC game sometimes! :)

Thanks Thunny, you definitely should! :)
Jove, I got all my wonders by hard labour. We were always at peace, so no great leaders for Japan.

1475 BC Colossus (France got the Oracle and China the Pyramids)
670 BC Hanging Gardens
250 BC Great Library
520 AD Sistine Chapel
710 AD Copernicus' Observatory
1000 AD JS Bach's Cathedral
1200 AD Newton's University (chosen over Shake's, France finished it two turns later)
1480 AD Universal Suffrage (to start our Golden Age)
1515 AD Theory of Evolution
1560 AD Hoover Dam
1590 AD Intelligence Agency
1832 AD United Nations (would have won the vote, but decided to go for culture)

It interresting reading about the success stories and replaying this game using hints from this thread, as I think I can learn a lot about tactics (being more warmongery than I usually am) and not least the value of the right position for the 1st city.

By 960 AD, all I got left was a galley with a settler and a worker, and no free shoreline to land them... was killed shortly after.

Originally posted by Beard Rinker
I noticed during this war that if you wait until the town’s borders expand, the town does not get automatically razed when you conquer it.

I also noticed this in my game and was about to ask a question as I thought ALL size one cities get razed when captured.

Apparently not.

Before screenshot:

Attachments

• gotm11 rome v frankfurt size 1 (small).jpg
    gotm11 rome v frankfurt size 1 (small).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 271
...and after screenshot:

Attachments

• gotm11 roman frankfurt size 1 (small).jpg
    gotm11 roman frankfurt size 1 (small).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 286
I got a cultural defeat in 2026 AD and the score is pretty low. :cry:

Oh well, at least I finished it. :)

Bad luck TF. This was a tough start position which had early make or break decisions and events.

That first goodie hut was an example. Three barbarians from mine which took out my warrior.

By the time I got some settlers out of Tokyo China was my next problem which involved a long protracted swordsman war.

I even went through the embarrasment of the AI "seeing" Tokyo undefended and dropping an archer and spearman next it. Poof! Tokyo and The Collossus are dust next turn:spank: To rub salt into the wound Germany then settled the site which has now become Roman(see Frankfurt post above).

As I am behind France (Culture) and Rome (Millitary) they will not traded with me as I found out when desperately trying to trade up to Music Theory after being beaten by Paris to Sistine Chapel by 6 turns:cry:

It is 1020AD and my thought now turn to revenge! I have a great desire to hit the mobilization button and distribute Kimonos to the needy all over MY continent. Hang the consequences, I will even open up a "Kimonos R us" export business.

If all goes well and a Great Leader appears a shiny new Forbidden Palace may apear in Paris which is the cultural capital of the world. Please don't tell me that a city can flip with a FP in it!!

Here is my world before mobilization:

Attachments

• gotm11 map 1020ad.jpg
    gotm11 map 1020ad.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 248
Won this one by domination. Cant remember score - I'll have to reload the save. 3-4k I think. Got bogged down near end waiting for dom. I should have used mapstat and made sure!

And yes, Phil, a city with FP can flip. I've had it happen to me. Conquered a nice city near opponents capital and thought what a good site it would be to stage my troops before the final push. Built my FP with a leader. Moved my troops there to heal and 'poof' - all gone two turns later.

Good luck (evil laughter)

Edit : Score much lower than I remembered. Well behind Yndy's!
:rolleyes:

For some reason I knew I had to ask the question :D

I will be loading my carts with explosives :enlighten

Good to see your back Col. I hope the sunburn doesn't hurt too much!:p Take a look at the direction the lowest scoring challenge went. We now have expert OCC players!

Top Bottom