GOTM #11 *Spoilers* Thread

Col,

We'll probably be close on the charts. I also got a 7-8k victory and also bogged down five long turns at the end. I had researched stopped but kept producing units which I had nothing to do with. Had happiness to 80% to increase points the last turns.
:goodjob:

About conquering cities size one:
AFAIK If the city had a culture improvement you will take the city and not raze it.
I'm not sure that this is valid before the first "inflation of the corona" (is this the term?).
If corona is inflated you always get the city !

Hi Phil - Yup been back a few days now. Had a great time looking a the glories of ancient Rome.

I have to say my OCC skills have come on a whole lot too.

I got a win on GOTM 10 with a score of about 270 (couldnt submit it since it was my second go after reading Sullla's account). A useful technique to have tucked away in the armory. I learned a lot about trading and diplomacy....

Oddly enough I found GOTM 11 pretty easy. It certainly didnt feel like emperor level. I wasnt particularly trying for a good score just playing my normal sort of game. Once you get your continent tied up you're not far from the dom level anyway. I was just assembling a fleet to take over the other island when I triggered domination.

Typical win by accident.

Here's a screenshot of my game at 2026 AD... I was way behind in science and was still researching atomic theory. :o

The 3 top border cities (Tsingtao, Beijing, and Xinjiang) were captured from the very advanced French recently. I found out capturing size 20+ cities that have Mech Infantry garrisons using cavalries is not impossible. You just need lots and lots of artilleries. :crazyeye: Beijing was size 23 and I hammered it to size 1. :evil:

Domination Victory in 1760 with a score of 3319 'The Magnificent'.

Not bad for me I thought!

I usualy play on Emperor at standard size but this seemed easier than that - I think the small map gave the AI less space to expand so they couldn't get too far ahead of me.

Crucially though I popped a settler from goodie hut 1 and plopped down a city to the north of my capital. Which gave me a nice edge.

France and China went at a no gain war for a bit which gave me time to settle south and east.

Traded and resaerched early iron and horses and built up a half dozen stack of swordsmen/horsemen and went for Chinese capital. Burned in two turns and a city on the west coast flipped to me. Cleaned up the east coast while the Frenchies took out another 2 cities to the north leaving China with one on the mainland and a couple on island to the south where France and Germany also plonked down. Made peace - got techs. Small skirmish war with Rome when he tried to put a city on the east coast of my island - naughty!

Small pause then for France with everything. Took Lyon with (I think) GL + another wonder or 2 - nice. Paris was tough but went down to my recently developed Samuraii. Golden age all round - nice 2. Went after southern island now. Cleared the French but they had cities on eastern island so did not die. Found last German city (Romans had whacked them earlier), put them out of misery. Finished off Chinese.

With Galleons now landing invasion of French eastern island. They made some landings to get their home back but no real danger. This is where I got a slowdown and delayed finish. Steady progress but slow here. Rome had a go so just after I had killed the French I took out the 2 Roman cities on the same island and fully colonised it myself.

I was in the process of invadinng Rome/Persia isle but with slow going - musketeers by then - when city expansion triggered domination.

My first GOTM submission. Thumped by barbarians, not going to win with Egypt (after a reload I did superbly but of course no submit), win with crap score - now victory! Still rubbish score but I have to start somewhere!

Without a doubt this was the quickest GOTM for me ever, both in real and game time.

Started pretty basic, build capital just where the settler stood. made some warriors and even an archer I think, then started temple and finally settler. I scouted with the warrior and had some incredible luck to start with. Encouter Chinese warrior, open diplo, they have 2 workers I can unburden from chairman Mao! So i trade tech and 15 gp for tech and 2 workers. Next thing, I pop a goody hut and get a settler! Now we're getting somewhere!

So I build the 2nd city next to the horses, and discover the chinese to the north. I see his first settler leave beijing so i build 2 more archers and invade beijing with 3/4 archers and a warrior. After taking beijng I persuade Mao to signb a peace treaty for all his gold and techs. He never recovered from this first blow throughout the game.

i the meanwhile a french unit has stumbled on Kyoto, i trade some tech and Joan even becomes Polite with me. After some expanding and army building I decide it is time to cripple France before she gets to hook up her iron source. It takes a few battles but the french army is weaker then expected and I'm able to take half of it pretty quickly. War carries on till about 100 BC when i finally destroy the last chinese city and own my home continent and one city on the SE island. Time to look for the remaining civs

í discover the Persians and gemans around 50 AD. Just after they have annihilated the Romans. The germans are tiny, just 5 cities the Persians own about 80% of their starting island. They both just started to colonize the NE island.

Now another game starts. The world famous 'ferry the horseman' game. I ferry over 15 horseman to the NE island and quickly conquer it. The Persians have also started war with the germans and finished them so now im left with just the persians and their pesky immmortals. After another round of ferry the horseman i start the assault on Persia's main island. This takes a bit longer since I have to carefully take out the immortals. But it's all over in 490AD, domination. Would have been conquest in maybe 3 turns.

The whole game toke about 8 hours real time, a new record and resulted in my highest score ever. Back to warcraft III :)

ProPain

Tunderfall,

I love the bombing screenshot! from pop 20 to 1. Great work.

I thought I'd done pretty well until I read some of you guys' stories. Then again, NOT getting a settler from the hut left me without a critical advantage, and to make matters worse, early disease in Kyoto slowed me down a little. (I built it one notch north of the starting position and ended up with some flood plains available to help with growth.) Not getting my first leader until late didn't help either.

What I did get from the hut was maps, letting me know Beijing was within easy range for an early archer attack. My first attack was delayed just a little chasing barbarians, but when it came, four or five archers and a warrior captured the Chinese capital. Unfortunately, China had enough other units to apply some pressure, so I decided it would be prudent to make peace. I fought a few more wars with China and France and eventually captured Paris (with the Pyramids and Great Library) just in the nick of time. The French were defending with pikemen against my swordsmen and horsemen, but the library gave me Chivalry (among other techs) and I had gold on hand to immediately upgrade a few horsemen to samurai. From that point, driving France off its home continent was easy.

I then captured the island to the northeast and took a shot at attacking Rome's homeland, but it didn't work out. I didn't lose much outright, but I suffered enough injuries that I decided to withdraw for the time being.

Next, I conquered the island to the southeast and, at the same time, sent a galley to deal with the French holdouts on the island to my west. (I was afraid of culture flips if I let France move its palace there.) With that completed, it was time to regroup and hit Rome again. Rome barely survived the game, with one of its last two cities fending off an attack the turn before I won by domination.

The game was both my fastest and my highest scoring ever (I don't normally play small maps), but it sounds like it will still be a few notches down from the top finishes (with a score the high 7Ks for a finish between 650 and 700 AD). The game was also unique in that I got the vast majority of my technology either beating it out of AIs or with the Great Library instead of researching it myself; normally, I'm normally a lot more of a researcher.

Nathan

P.S. In my game, none of the three civs on the far continent really dominated, although Rome and Persia were significantly larger than Germany.

I captured a port with roads connecting to incense that never exported to my continent.
Is there a trick to getting luxuries from captured cities???

Hi all, I've lurked in the GOTM forums for a while now... about 6 months. Basically, after playing on my own and happily reloading like a maniac (at deity though, but still, it's a lot easier when you win every battle...), I decided in march (I think) to play honestly. So, I decided back then to play all the GOTM's. First, I played the Indians at warlord, then all the regent and then monarch games. For emperor level, I thought what the heck, let's play for real this time. I mean play this month's emperor game and submit. Well, I'm very happy about my result: domination in 410 AD for a score of (am I not supposed to say this?) about 9300. The only sad thing is that I never saw a single samurai. Even though a saw more than enough the last time I played against those damn japanese. Here's a breakdown of my game:

Started one step north of the starting spot. Popped a hut and wow, settler! Settler moves north and wait a minute, the chinese are sighted and we settle a little to the south. Anyway, I figure at emperor I have no chance for an early warrior attack so I decided to found some cities. After one more city, I realise that I've basically ran out of space. So, I built two barracks and then 10-12 warriors, all waiting to be upgraded, if I have any iron, of course. In the meantime, the french declare war on me (for not giving them 25 gp). And then desease strikes, I lose 2 pop points and my almost finished settler is converted into a temple. There goes my early advantage. Btw, I think the chinese also got a free settler. Anyway, things were not looking good (and could have looked even worse if the stupid french had decided to attack me instead of going for the pyramids...)

Anyway, I get iron working, I have some iron! I call the french and they give me peace and some gold, youppi! And then a chinese city flips to me, another yippi! So, my stack of 6-7 swordsmen quickly capture beijing, I make peace, upgrade some more warriors and then capture more chinese cities. By then the chinese have one city and I'm bigger than France. However, they have very good lands. Their only weakness is that after building the pyramids, they're now building two wonders! What a waste when 15 swordmen are massing at your border... No human would be so dumb.

Anyway, the persians complete one wonder, Paris' shields go to waste and I invade. But, at the last second (move...) a settler hops on a boat and heads north-west. :mad: So I had to ferry my swordmen to that damn island, capture their new city and ferry them back. That was the most costly "mistake" of the game.

By then I have contact with the other guys and have started my forbidden palace in beijing. At first, when I started the fp, I thought the "other" continent would be huge. I guess I'm used to large maps (anyone remember the greeks gotm?). So I had in mind to have my fp on my starting continent and then move my capital to the other (captured) continent. When I saw the whole map, I quickly realized that this game would be over pretty quickly if I just map tons of swordmen and horsemen. Well, that's what I did but with a little twist.

In my game, the persians had no iron, only the germans and romans did. Plus, the germans iron wasn't connected to their capital (I think anyway). So, I decided to conquer the persians (and then finish with the germans). The obvious choice tactically would have been the romans because they were closer but I didn't want to fight their 3 def legions with my 3att swordmen. I've read that a lot of people had to fight the romans. Ouch. I hit domination in 400-410 AD (can't remember exactly). Thanks for reading and good luck.

To answer a question I saw earlier, a city size one always autorazes except when it has, at any point in it's history, had an inflated corona. If you capture a capital size one before 10 turns required for its cultural border to expand, it will autoraze.

But, if you capture a city with an expanded cultural radius and then someone else captures it (always at size one I mean), it will not autoraze.

I come back. I won in 30AD by conquest.

Attachments

• gotm11a.jpg
    gotm11a.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 340
Well - I have to say first that I am enjoying this game of the month thing. This is my second game and it is interesting.

First I guess I'll share how my game went.

Unlike many others, I built Kyoto in the default start position. (probably an error)

I proceeded to end up with 3 cities (one of them east to get the iron on the mountain.

In about 1000 BC France went to war with China, so I followed suit. Took over most of China with Swordsmen. Then took France down a peg or two. By 300AD I France down to Paris and one other city on the mainland plust two on the north central island.

Miracle of miracles, noone had colonized the south central island, so I blitz colonized it before trying to trade for tech with my superior world map.

Things were pretty quiet till 1200AD when Persia demanded too much and got a mouthfull of Samurais for their trouble. I took Gordium (on the north central island) and made them give me some tech for peace. Then I took out France.

At this point Persia decided to finish off Germany and so I got in on the action, taking Nuremburg. At this point with just the two of us, the Second Persian War was on.

I kicked Persia off of all islands but his home, but he got infantry, so I backed off and peace insued. At this point I hoped my superior territory would allow me to catch up in tech, but alas Persia just kept rocking (curse those scientific nations).

Persia got all the industrial age wonders and my only wonder was the UN. (Big deal since with only two of us, we were perma deadlocked)

At this point I wanted a space race victory, but Persia was building part #4 while I was finishing the Apollo Program, so I knew I had to sack Persepolis (Parsegrade had been destroyed/captured at some point by Gemany). I switched over to Comunism and using a stack of 12 artillery and 2 armies of infantry, I took the Veii in 1936 and pillaged Persias oil source (just to the east). I then sieged Rome, eventually razing it in 1957. But unfortunatly this caused a Domination victory in 1958. So much for my plans.

Guess I need to practice more. Most of the top scores seem to be way above my best ever score in civ. Happy Conquest .

Originally posted by jeffelammar
Unlike many others, I built Kyoto in the default start position. (probably an error)
I also built Kyoto in the start position. It isn't so bad: there are wheat and dyes near city. It gives luxures and shields for early producing units and buildings. There is a problem with the settlers: 3-d citizen is born slowly. But I havn't built early settler: I was building warrior, barraks, 3*wariors, 2*archers and go to war against China.:ninja:

Hey Serg:
Fantastic finish.
I was not able to finish until 530 AD with domination. I tried it again with earlier war but only saved 1 turn in 520 AD.
Do you build any cultural improvements or only military?
How do you keep citizens happy?
Any other hints so I can save 500 years?:goodjob:

Hey Ozy, you old sea snail, glad you finished the game.

Saw your earlier post about exporting incense. The key event on this map is that you must have "Astronomy" to allow resources to be traded across any barriers that include a solid gap of sea squares. The 1 tile sea gap between the north and north central land mass is easy to cross with galleys but blocks all trade.

Thanks Cracker.

So much for going to war to obtain cheap trade colonies. On this small map I'll never see astronomy.

Just tried restarting from original Kyoto site with quick build up of troops but it is now 630 AD and I have Persia to conquer without chivalry.. lots of potential horse meat when those immortals cut up my horseman. Those early finishers just plan much better than I.

Originally posted by Ozymandius
Do you build any cultural improvements or only military?
How do you keep citizens happy?
Any other hints so I can save 500 years?:goodjob:

Hi Ozymandius!
1) I build the temple in each of my cities.
2) I have 3 luxuries on Home Island + temple give me 3 happy and 1 content citizen. It is size 6 non problem city. I havn’t problems with incense because I have the Great Lighthouse. That gives me 4-th luxury.
3) I took Beijing very early with veteran warriors and archer. During attack of Beijing one of my warrior stood elite. After that all my forces were moved to Shanghai but elite warrior stays in Beijing for defense and getting cure. Suddenly China’s archer appeared near Beijing and was attacking me. My warrior won the battle and got birth of GL! :crazyeye: I rush the Pyramids immediately. I rounded up Shanghai and at moment when it stood size 2 got it (China hadn’t other cities) and killed China. Around that time I founded Osaka. So ~ in 2300BC I had 4 cities and only France on my island. France had more cities then me. I founded next 3 cities and made road to the horse. Then built several horsemans and sent its with the archers to Orleans and Paris. My force was more strong and I killed France in 1100BC (And got 2-d GL). I rush FP in the new city on old France territory.
By that time I received the message about Germany killed Persia. I didn’t know where the Germany are and stopped producing my force. I made many settlers and founded cities on my island and other when discovered Map Making. I built the Great Lighthouse in Kyoto and my galleys were traveling on see in different directions. When I discovered Rome and Germans island I wasn’t ready to war. I spend many times for preparing to war, signed ROP with my neighbors and first time captured Rome (I got 3-d GL and made army). After little pause I rounded up almost every Germany’s cities and captured its in 2 turns.
If I could know where placed Roman’s island and it isn’t big size I could be win earlier.
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom