1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 174 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Jokemaster, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

wait what? you weren't going for earliest launch full stop but for blue instead?

You could have beaten me if you ran full taxes after Fusion Power i think. Built Apollo in 1280 and launched 4 turns later after selling a bunch of stuff.

Ok then. Your wording left me to believe that it was bigger than that.

2. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

You launched 4 turns later? You could not have possibly launched a full space ship, just one set of modules, right?

3. Jokemaster

That is correct. Standard 15-3-3-1-1-1. Did not have the production base for anything fancier.

Spoiler :
    Interturn: Indian gov’t overthrown.
    1220 AD: Advanced Flight > Rocketry not available > Robotics. Lutèce hides (d) to Persépolis: 100g.

1240 AD: Robotics > Rocketry. Berlin dye (d) to CaesareaSud: 76g. CaesareaSud oil (d) to Ravenne: 220g. Rome coal (d) to Delhi: 256g. Brundisium salt (nd) to Rome: 62g. No unblock, whet… Césaraugusta coal (d) to Delhi: 85g. NicomédieNord hides (nd) to Rome: 114g. HippoRegiusNord beads (nd) to Rome: 104g. JérusalemNord wine (d) to Syracuse: 160g.

1260 AD: Rocketry > Space Flight > Plastics. Apollo’s started in Palmyre: 12 vans. Rome cloth (nd) to Delhi: 103g. Down to 152 arrows. Teothuiacan dye (d) to NicomédieNord: 96g.
    Interturn: Carthaginians develop Construction.

1280 AD: Palmyre Apollo. Plastics > Superconductor not available > Genetic Engineering. Still 3 more turns ‘til launch. If I even have the money to launch anything. Véies wine (d) to SéleucideSud: 187g. Pompéi wool (d) to AurelianorumSud: 208g. T5L0S5.

1300 AD: Genetic Engineering > Superconductor. T7L0S3. Véies spice (d) to TarenteNord: 203g. Some vans ready. I’ll maybe try to launch in 3 turns? 3 or 4. Probably 4. 3 if I sell all my SH’s on turn before launch.

1320 AD: Ur SS structural, Berlin SS component. Going for the classic 15-3-3-1-1-1. All my components and 8/15 structurals are queued for 2 turns. MAYBE I can launch in 2 turns if I have enough vans.

1340 AD: Cumes SS structural, Antium SS component. Superconductor > Fusion Power. 2str, 2comp. Sell a bunch of SHs and use up all remaining vans to launch next turn. T2L0S8.
    Interturn: Babs develop Construction. Persians develop Engineering.

1360 AD: AurelianorumSud, SéleucideSud, TarenteNord, Tlateloco, Utique, Hispalis, Pompéi, Ur, Teothuiacan, Antium, Véies, Tenochitlan, Berlin SS structurals. Lutèce, Lugnudum, Viroconium, Pise SS components. Syracuse, Brundisium, Rome SS modules. Fusion Power > Communism. SPACESHIP LAUNCH. Arrival date: 1375 AD. Turn no. 186. T10L0S0. At this stage, idkare about science, idkare about “Future Techs” The best way to boost my score is to build the 12-or-so wonders left unbuilt and some aqueducts and sewers as well. And kill whoever stands in my way. Actually… nvm. I do care about the UN. Emissary’s Ploy OP. T3L0S7.

1361 AD: Communism > Stealth. Stealth fighters are soo powerful when the enemies are underteched. At most they have musketeers. I’ll keep the taxes where they are for one last turn.

1362 AD: Stealth > Espionnage. Just… One… more… Turn…

1363 AD: Huh? No discovery. Ok then. T10L0S0, will let the scientists in Rome take care of the rest. The Persians and Carths are definitely on the warpath with their troop movements. It’s ok, I have a special surprise for them.

1364 AD: Espionage > Guerilla. Not being able to tell them to remove troops after they signed peace is mightily annoying. Fire all scientists in Rome except one. Vans for 80, 142, 108, 116, 121. Suffrage rushed in Véies.

1365 AD: Indians develop Amphibious Warfare. Wéies Women’s Suffrage. Carths: ask to remove troops, WAR. Kill 5 units inside Carthage with Stealth fighter (how can spears hurt an armored strafing plane? Did the pilot have to take a pee-pee break or what?) Carthage seized for 163g+3 citizens. Carthaginian civilization destroyed by Romans. You asked for it bud.

1366 AD: Persians AGAIN offer me peace. Can’t ask them to remove troops. UN rushed in Tenochitlan. Indians move artillery outside Delhi: ow, forgot about those guys.

1367 AD: Tenochitlan UN. Persians: WAR when I ask them to remove troops. Kill 3 units in Persépolis after clearing the way: Persépolis seized for 279g+7citizens+city walls. One proc of the Emissary’s Ploy later, kill 2 units in Suse and Pasargades. Pasargades seized for 142g+5 citizens+mkt. Suse seized for 108g+5 citizens. PERSIAN CIV DESTROYED BY ROMANS. The Babs have Gunpowder from the GL, so no need to attack now unless I want my face to meet something that’s hard. Made of cement .. and that ain’t the gutter, guys. Rush CfC in Hispalis. Bombay silk (d) to Rome: 210g.

1368 AD: Adam Smith’s rushed in WhoCaresTown.
    Interturn: Indian gov’t overthrown. Hail Indians: They trade Amphibious Warfare for Advanced Flight.

1369 AD: Babs offer peace treaty. God, that’s annoying. Rush the SoL and the Lighthouse. Nicopolis built.

1370 AD: SoL and LH built. The worshipful Babs declar WAR when I ask them to remove troops. Kill 3 units in Babylone: Babylone seized for 521g+7citizens+GL. Nineve bribed for 554g because I don’t want to kill too many citizens. Get 276 back 7 citizens, mktplace and library. BABYLONIAN CIV DESTROYED BY ROMANS. KRC and GW rushed.

1371 AD: GW, KRC. Oracle and Magellan’s rushed.

1372 AD: Rome gems (d) to Delhi: 320g. Hoover Dam rushed. Looks like it’s going to be a world without nukes after all…

1373 AD: Nevermind. T1L0S9. Londinium built.

1374 AD: Manathann, Sun Tzu, Eiffel Tower. T0L10S0. Oddly enough I’m not gaining peace points despite being allied with the Indians. Must be a programming quirk. Eburacum built. Final score: 1***. Just shy of (...) GOTM points.

Final thoughts:
    Spoiler :

I really regret not detouring for Genetic Engineering and celebrating after building CfC… Trade never recovered at all after the Inv/Nav penalty outside of the odd 600 delivery to Rome from a colony, and was never relevant after Flight. City science needed to pick up the slack, but cities weren’t big enough at size 8, building conventionally instead of ICS. (Maybe if the colonies were size 8 it woulda helped.) I had good number of cities+SETI, but I needed to make them bigger to have a better base to build from. Had good research speed still despite all that, so maybe stopping to celebrate a bit would not have been worth. Probably would have been able to 1techturn still, but would I have had enough 2tech turns from city science later on to catch up? Idk. But either way, I wasn’t really prepared for launching ASAP. Should have had more freight prepared instead of delivering for measly payouts.

And that's the end of my first ever EL game! Custom maps don't count.

4. Ali Ardavan

Interesting log Jokemaster.

In my landing games, I typically go for full utilization of my land and a full space ship. The set up is very close to that of a high score game but the tech is slightly more fast paced and the space ship is built in a hurry and launched immediately.

If I were to play a high score game I would slow down tech pace once you get past the initial stage of techs you desperately need in favor of infrastructure. Furthermore, the space ship will be built only by cities that have no useful thing left to build and not necessarily launched immediately. I have played a small number of games like that on small maps. But even then I did not have the patience or the desire to maximize my city population via food vans. To me growing cities beyond their natural limit via infusion of food vans is very unappealing. (It is also prohibited in GOTMs.) What I did do, however, to maximize my score is to keep playing till I hit Future Tech 255 (which is the maximum you can get).

As usual, in this game I plan to launch as soon as my full space ship is ready and then build wonders while it is on its way. I am not planning any warfare. My three remaining rivals have one city each and are too valuable as trade partners. Babylonians are an enthusiastic ally and the other two are contained.

5. Jokemaster

OH. I did not know that. Fortunately my games never get to that point.
    (Side note: Is it allowed in HoF games or not?)

6. Ali Ardavan

It used to be. But I have never submitted any games for the Hall of Fame and I do not know if it is still active.

7. Ali Ardavan

I launched in +1510 as expected but I barely made it. Exhausted my treasury, and had to disband some Riflemen and one of my two boats.

8. Ali Ardavan

+1020 Electronics -> Machine Tools -> Mass Production. Hides to Persepolis for 80, 62. Domestic Silver for 190.
    +1040 Mass Production -> Mini. Hoover dam built. Silver to Babylon for 212.
    +1060 Accepted Babylonian offer of 300g to declare war on Persians. Mini -> Computers. Pompeii builds superhighways and with 3 foreign routes it is producing a whopping 169 arrows. Oil to Bombay for 399. Senate hands cease fire to Persians.
    +1080 Computers -> Recycling -> Nuclear Fission. Senate hands peace to Persians. Silver to Persians for 130. Domestic Oil for 338.
    +1100 SETI built. Nuclear Fission -> Nuclear Power -> Laser. Oil to Delhi for 224. Domestic Oil for 357.
    +1120 Laser -> Fundamentalism -> Mobile Warfare. Pompeii maxes out at size 36. If I were to set my science rate to 100%, it would produce 1720 beakers. Gems to Persepolis and Delhi for 122 each. Wine to Bombay for 397.
    +1140 Mobile Warfare -> Flight -> Radio. Deliveries to Delhi for 203, 264.
    +1160 Radio -> Advanced Flight -> Robotics. Silk to Persepolis for 98. Wine to Babylon for 84. Copper to Babylon for 42. Domestic oil deliveries to science city for 256, 209.
    +1180 Robotics -> Rocketry -> Space Flight.
    +1200 Space Flight -> Environmentalism -> Combined Arms. Copper to Babylon for 82.
    +1220 Combined Arms -> Plastics.
    +1240 Plastics -> Superconductor -> Communism. First factory built. Domestic offshore gold for 760.
    +1260 Communism -> Fusion Power -> Stealth. Domestic offshore Silk for 512.
    +1280 Stealth -> Espionage -> Guerrilla warfare. Apollo built. Domestic offshore deliveries for 352, 188.
    +1300 Guerrilla warfare -> Labor Union -> Future Tech 1. Space race starts. Silver to Delhi for 100.
    +1320 Future Tech 1 -> 2.
    +1340 Persians steal Plastics; I declare war. Future Tech 2 -> 3 -> 4. Domestic offshore oil for 595. 2 Persian units killed.
    +1360 Persian warrior dies attacking my Engineer. Future Tech 4 -> 5. Gems to Persepolis for 336.
    +1380 Persians steal space flight. Indians develop Mobile Warfare! I thought they would never manage another advance. Future Tech 5 -> 6 -> 7.
    +1400 Future Tech 7 -> 8.
    +1420 Indians sneak attack and kill a None rifleman, a cavalry, and an Engineer. Future Tech 8 -> 9 -> 10. Vet Stealth fighter kills the 3 defenders of Bombay. The city is captured for 459g and marketplace. Senate hands cease fire to Indians. Silver to Persepolis for 155.
    +1440 Future Tech 10 -> 11. Wine to Babylon for 267. Senate hands peace to Persians. Oil to Delhi for 268.
    +1460 Future Tech 11 -> 12.
    +1480 Future Tech 12 -> 13 -> 14.
    +1500 Future Tech 14 -> 15. Domestic offshore gold for 578.

Status at +1500
    Population: 92.7M; Cities: 40; Techs: All+14FT; Government: Democracy
    Gold: 736; Cost: 542; Trade routes: full;
    Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Lighthouse, Michelangelo, King Richard's, Shakespeare, Copernicus, Newton, Leo, Bach, Adam Smith, Darwin, Cure, Hoover, SETI, Apollo
    Units: 23 engineers, 7 Riflemen (1 None), 3 Cavalry (1 None), 1 Stealth Fighter, 1 transport, 1 diplomat, 1 spy, 1 vans
    Goals: Launch (next turn), building remaining wonders.
    Babylonian: 1 city, 33 techs; allied with me, war with Persians
    German: Destroyed by me
    Aztec: Destroyed by me
    Persian: 1 city, 36 techs; war with Babylonians
    Carthaginian: Destroyed by me
    Indian: 1 city, 82 techs;

+1510 Future Tech 15 -> 16 -> 17. Full space ship launched.
    +1511 Future Tech 17 -> 18. Silver to Persepolis for 214.
    +1512 Babylonians steal Space Flight. I keep the alliance. Marco built. Future Tech 18 -> 19 -> 20. Domestic offshore oil for 584. T2L2S6
    +1513 Eiffel built. Future Tech 20 -> 21. Copper to Babylon for 118.
    +1514 Great Wall built. Future Tech 21 -> 22 -> 23. Domestic deliveries for 184, 394, 87.
    +1515 Pyramids built. Future Tech 23 -> 24 -> 25. Domestic deliveries for 150. T1L2S7
    +1516 Sun Tzu built. Future Tech 25 -> 26. Gems to Delhi for 242. Domestic deliveries for 160.
    +1517 Indians join the space race. Great Library and Oracle built. Future Tech 26 -> 27 -> 28. Domestic oil deliveries for 321, 915.
    +1518 Persians steal Fusion Power; I declare war. Liberty, UN, and Suffrage built. Future Tech 28 -> 29 -> 30. Wandering Persian settler killed. Domestic deliveries for 98, 377. T0L2S8
    +1519 Future Tech 30 -> 31 -> 32. Senate hands peace to Persians. Domestic deliveries for 162. Sirjan, Cyrene, and Tyrus founded.
    +1520 Persians steal superconductor; I keep the peace. Manhattan and Magellan built. Future Tech 32 -> 33. Corfinium founded. T0L10S0
    +1521 Space ship arrives