GOTM 47 Second Spoiler - entering the Industrial age

Tao, how is it that you were able to ship home the horses and iron so early? I had to wait for Astronomy, while it seems like everyone was running through the french and aztecs with Knight/Cavalry.

@Genghis069: That's why the Great Lighthouse is so important on a map like this one. It enables trade via sea tiles so you don't have to wait all the way to Astronomy.

Genghis069 said:
Tao, how is it that you were able to ship home the horses and iron so early? I had to wait for Astronomy, while it seems like everyone was running through the french and aztecs with Knight/Cavalry.
The Great Lighthouse allows for trade over sea tiles.

Edit: One minute too late. :)

Intended settling 1NE to be more central location but when found fresh water decided on 1 SW for 4 turn settler factory
Initial builds warrior for scouting, worker, granary and settler hurried with chop
Settled 8 cities at RCP4, 5 at RCP6 and stuffed 3 others into northern tip
When found that we are alone commenced GLH prebuild in 6th city Munich (with access to hill when in rep).
Research max pottery, alpha, writing, MM, CoL, Rep, lit - rest traded, free feudalism

Cities
Berlin 3950 BC
Leipzig 2350 BC
Hamburg 1910 BC
Konisberg 1725 BC
Frankfurt 1625 BC
Munich 1500 BC
Heidelberg 1400 BC
Nuremburg 1300 BC
Cologne 1200 BC
Hannover 1125 BC
Bremen 100 BC
Stuttgard 925 BC
Bonn 880 BC
Salzburg 710 BC
Dortmond 590 BC
Brandenburg 510 BC
New Berlin 430 BC and home island is full

1000 BC Statistics
11 cities
28 pop
6 workers, 3 warriors, 6 archers (all vets), 1 spear
1 gran, 3 rax
Researching CoL
No contacts yet

With MM I start building galleys (forgot to pre-build:blush: )

Galleys look west first then east and dont contact Indians until 530 BC - I have CoL, they have most other techs and all contacts - I elect to delay trade until later when I meet French - then buy remaining contacts all non optional AA techs exc curr and const and world maps for CoL and Rep. Get ROP with India and start shipping over archers.

As world map reveals can reach all civs with galleys, I switch my GLH build to GLib to meet half my GA req.

Rep researched 510BC - immed revolt for 5 turn anarchy.

410 BC learn lit and trade for currency and construction. Also year India builds Pyramids:mischief:
Research set to 1 scientist on mono then chiv for anticipated knight upgrade

1st War - India
390BC ROP abuse to take Delhi with pyramids and Karachi on coast with archers. All India's core falls by 130 BC with only hiccough being a flip at Karachi. Peace for Dacca on SE peninsula (France also just settling there)

Biggest dissappointment is after rushing harbour in Karachi I find I cant import resouces and lux across the sea - need astronomy -> full on research mono, theology, education. GLib built 50BC - no techs from it.

2nd War - France
110 AD Medieval infantry shipped from Delhi region to northern France and take all France's core with capture of Orleans in 300AD (find that Orleans has GLH:D -> now lots of lux but more importantly iron and horses for my core)
Stop researching education (which was due in 2 turns) and switch to path to cavalry (after first learning chivalry.

360 AD - first MGL -> Delhi for rushing FP (this is another story as had ummed and arred about building FP on starting island, but thought Delhi too good not to use. Had hoped for leader in Indian war but no luck so started building by hand - after turns to complete came down rom 200 to about 180 I switched to courthouse and cash rushed - now only 100 turns:( . With advent of GML I could now rush aquaduct with accumulated shields and then FP which markedly transformed my empire with a very productive 2nd core (Lahore even had collosus and provided much income with market)

440AD Berlin builds Sun Tzu's -> golden age, nicely timed with productive 2nd core

War 3 - Aztecs
- these were by far most powerful, but by this stage I had knights and a GA to punch out lots - still only managed to destroy 3 cities 530AD - 660AD - their Great Wall seemed to give me some rotten luck. Concurrently destroying last of French (eliminated in 580AD) and Indians ( eliminated in 650AD)
720AD built Leo's in Berlin
Recommenced hostilities in 760AD with cavs which rapidly sliced through remaining cities, last island city taken 820 AD

War 4 - Celts
670AD transported knights north by galley. In first battle had a loss ti Celtic sword triggerring their GA:( - took until 860AD to raze last Celtic city - sveral I tried keeping flipped

War 5 - Arabs
dow 690AD (year of researching mil trad) after upgrading knights used in French campaign. Slow going through jungle region.
Last 2 Arab cities captured in 880AD for conquest victory
Firaxsis 6183, Jason 9918

Leaders
1st 360AD - rushes FP
2nd 640 AD - knight army
3rd 720 AD - Heroic epic
4th 720 AD - cav army
5th 750 AD cav army
6th 840AD - rushes Sistine (because I could :p )

Mistakes - lots:blush:

- tried making my 4 turn settler factory work size 5-7 - after stuffing it up several times realised no duct and no freshwater so it cant grow to 7 -> 4-6 4 turner worked well
- no galley pre-build delayed contacts
- late FP - my production and commerce really sufferred from no FP many turns - I only realised how much once I did get it. Not sure if in retrospect it would have been better to build it one of my northern 1st ring cities
- no idea what to research after deciding to go for GLib - should have realised capture of GLH was way to go and kept researching towards cav
- trashed rep early with rop abuse v Indians - allowed easy conquest there but unable to get rop or alliances later - maybe holding rep till later would be better?

Edit - sceenie of 1000 BC

@Klarius - you're Map Making date was incredible. I was still 11turns from it at 1000BC. Did you keep a timelog during your QSC period? After the game completes would you mind posting your 1000BC save?

BTW, I achieved a rather lazy DOM victory in 1030AD. I really need to start focusing more on my early game.

That is probably the best piece of information I have received in this game of the month. I had no idea that the Great LIghthouse allowed harbors to connect without the research of Astronomy. That drastically changes what I would have done entirely since that means the island continent would be able to make horses much earlier than I thought.

I guess I'll have to play that game again with Conquest in mind and see how early I can get it.

Another question: I notice that many of you who are going for Conquest and Domination are researching to Republic as quickly as possible. Why would you go for Republic when you are going to be doing so much fighting? Doesn't that 6 turn anarchy hurt your war effort? Wouldn't Monarchy be better for that and for troop support? I am very curious about your answer since I am sure that there is a very good reason for it that I never thought of.

DJMGator13 said:
@Klarius - you're Map Making date was incredible. I was still 11turns from it at 1000BC. Did you keep a timelog during your QSC period? After the game completes would you mind posting your 1000BC save?
No log sorry.
I have a CA2 archive, so I could look up things.
But generally it's not different than other games.
Rapid expansion with an early granary and 4-turn settler factory, priority on roads first, micromanagement to squeeze out every gold coin.
Full steam research typically with 0 to 1 coin in treasury.
Military only what's absolutely necessary for MP and barb control.

Rapid expansion is the key to fast research.
I went full steam research and had self researched MM, COL and Phil by 1000bc, and something like 20turns from republic. Trading MM to everyone gave me all their techs, and so am up on the AI by COL and Phil, most people trade everything they have away but i like to get a tecnology lead so when in the lead i purposely don't trade some techs to keep expanding the gap. The aim is to get a good window where you have superior military units, eg many years of wars with longbows Vs their spearmen etc. expanding the tecnology gap from the AI increases this period of time. Naturally with self researching everything you need a second core quickly and libraries, roads, harbors etc in place.

I notice that many of you who are going for Conquest and Domination are researching to Republic as quickly as possible. Why would you go for Republic when you are going to be doing so much fighting? Doesn't that 6 turn anarchy hurt your war effort? Wouldn't Monarchy be better for that and for troop support? I am very curious about your answer since I am sure that there is a very good reason for it that I never thought of.

The benefit of Republic is essentially the +1 good per tile already producing one, that can be turned into more unit rushs. It is also a very valuable tech, and if you're the 1st to research it you usually grab every AA tech (and even a pair of MA) from the AS. The tradeoff is mainly the absence of MP in cities. War weariness can be kept under control with proper warring.

In this case, if i would have gone for a conquest victory, i would have probably choosed Monarchy.

I followed my plan to a T in the industrial age. Unfortunately, my plan wasn't very good.

After getting Map Making, I researched Literature at min while fighting India. Then bought all techs except for Polytheism which I researched in 6 turns, getting to the industrial age in 230BC. My free tech was Monothesism.

My (flawed) plan was to research Engineering and Invention at min, saving enough cash for my war effort and then start researching at max. This resulted in a big research delay (although I'm not sure what my max rate would have acheived).

My war goals were to capture the Pyramids from France, and The Great Library from the Aztecs and trigger my GA with a prebuilt Leo's timed with the discovery of Min Sci Invention.

France had been wonderbuilding in Tours although my war with them and managed to research Feudalism the turn the cascade ended. I figured they'd be a sure bet to finish Sun Tsu's so I made piece with them leaving OCC. They were a turn ahead of the Aztecs so I gifted them a bunch of luxuries to make sure they kept the lead.

My troops turned on the Aztecs as I waited for the India and French peace treaties to expire. The Aztecs had Feudalism long enought to upgrade at least the top defender in each city to a pikeman. My swords were upgraded to MI and accompanied by horsemen and two horse armies. Despite cutting off iron with one horse army, by the time the troops reached Teno, there were at least three pikes there. I bombarded the city with >10cats until they lost their barracks and were down to size 5. Even still, my horse army and four MI died before we took the city.

The Great Library gave me Theology and Chivalry while I was researching Invention at min. I finished my painstaking research in 820AD and cranked it to 4 turn research of Education, with Uni prebuilds due the same turn helped with our Leo-triggered GA.

After the GA, deficiet was immense at 60%sci and I had to turn all of the captured cities to taxmen except the Indian core. This killed my game score but kept me at 4-turn research for the rest of the age.

After the peace treaties were up, I finished off India, France and the Aztecs in quick succession, gaining the recently completed Sun Tsu from France.

Delhi became my high science city because it had enough sheilds to build the science wonders without leader help.

The AI (Celts) managed to research Metulargy 2 turns ahead of me. That was all the help I got, despite gifting everything to both Celts and Arabs.

I entered the Industrial age in 1180AD getting Medicine. I gifted the AI all of our middle age techs and started on Steam Power. At 100% sci, I was still shy of 4-turn research but converting all those tax men to scientists (>150), I was able to get 4-turn research. I maintained 4-turn research thoughout the Industrial Age as well.

My research path was strange. I wanted to use the Theory of Evolution to get Flight and Radio. With Sheilds essentially worthless, everything was based on a desire for commerce. I went for Corporation first, then up the tree towards Combustion hoping the AI could take the lower half of the tree, but knowing they'd do Nationalism first.

I finished Combustion and still nothing from the AI. I went for Replaceable parts and Mass Production to get the Commercial Docks. I was through the top half before the Celts came in with Nationalism. Their next tech was Music Theory (I still built Bachs first). The only other tech researched by the AI was Communism turned in by the Arabs. No help!

After getting to Mass Production, I went back and got Scientific Method and raced my prebuild of TOE so that I finished Electronics and TOE the same turn. Freebies picked were Flight and Radio, learned Motorized Transport 4-turns later

That put me in the Modern Age in 1475AD with my free tech being Ecology. More Scientists hired (>160) to get Fission in 4 turns. Prebuild was delayed by four turns by starving the citizens. Diplomatic victory against the Celts in 1495AD.

Ingame score = 5605 -> Jason score = 9324

Why would you go for Republic when you are going to be doing so much fighting?

I've wondered the same thing, whether Republic is worth it when going for an AA/early MA military victory. I didn't keep a log of my game, but I skipped researching Republic and went straight to MA under despotism, researched chivalry, upgraded horses, and achieved Conquest in 560.

The longer your civ is in Republic, the more you benefit from it. But is it that beneficial when you hold a large army and want to end the game soon? I'm not sure.

PtW, predator.

Summary: Conquest Victory in 560AD.
First spoiler

Shortly after the German fleets first set sail (around 1000BC), some German sailors locate an overseas source of Metal just south of Arabia, as well as some precious Gems nearby. German settler parties set sail and found the Iron City of Stuttgart in 650BC, followed by the Gem city of Bonn in 470BC. The Empire also tries to obtain the Silks further south, but the French are just ahead of us by one turn. From 370BC iron supplies leave the harbor of Stuttgart for the German mainland, and the Axeswingers are retrained to use swords.

By this time, the smell of vegetable curry drifting across the ocean has become unbearable, and the First Indian War starts in 290BC as German Swordsmen land on the Indian shores. Obviously Ghandi had other things on his mind as Delhi finishes the Pyramids in 230BC, 20 years before Otto Ironfist captures the place. Indian resistance remains weak and the Imperial Army makes quick progress, led by the famous Great General Barbarossa in the final stages of the war.
On the home island, Munich constructs a Winter Palace in 190BC, while artists in Leipzig create a fancy Garden in 90BC. Around 50AD it becomes clear that the enlarged German Empire needs a better government. Otto the Republican - son and successor of Otto Ironfist - starts the painful but necessary process of change, which leads to the German Republic in 130AD.
During the period of anarchy, in 70AD, a peace treaty is signed with India. By its terms Ghandi gives up a city and a few technologies as tribute, so that a good dozen Indian cities are now under firm German control, with only two remaining under Ghandi's vegetable sway.
The spontaneous discovery of Feudalism brings further improvements to German infantry tactics, and the troops are retrained to use lead balls to smash their opponents. Some men are trained to ride Indian Horses, but the mainstay of the Army is solid infantry, supported by a fleet of galleys for speed of movement.

In 150AD the time has come to teach the French the advantages of the German cuisine, and German infantry, supported by the navy, land at Rheims, home of the Great Wall of Maginot. The French War effectively ends in 260AD when France only has a wandering settler left (killed later by the Aztecs). The Great Library of Paris teaches Germany the rather useful art of Engineering and the rather useless concept of Monotheism. There is no technological advance after this, except that at some point Arabia learns to Invent Things - but not how to defend itself.

At the end of the French War the German capital is relocated to Lyons so that the Indo-French area of the German Empire can be ruled more effectively, and around the same time Barbarossa retires from active duty and starts teaching the Art of War in Kiel. A Golden Age of German might ensues, with increased troop training throughout the Empire.

Large armies are best not left idle and Otto the World Ruler, the last of the Warrior Bismarcks, prepares operations against the remaining nations. Treaties are signed with the Aztecs, the Celts and the Arabs giving Germany the right to station its armies right next to these people's major cities. Why exactly these nations granted such rights is unclear up to this day, but it wasn't wise. German forces quickly move into Azteca, the Aztec War starts in 360AD, the fighting doesn't last long and the last Aztec settlement - a long walk to the frozen north - is taken in 450AD. On the way, the last Indian settlements are taken in 430-440AD.
The Celts are next to go, and see their core disappear in 460AD, and the remainder in the following 60 years. Their resistance consists of isolated bands of archers and spears and is no match for the German forces. An excessively large detachment is sent to Arabia, where war starts in 540AD and ends in 560AD.

---------
Note to GOTM police: had to reload a few times in 210AD due to a crash, probably Great Wall bug. Please be lenient :).

Congrats to MiniMe for an excellent fast finish! :goodjob:
Also congrats to Hugbear - finished the same turn :D

Hugbear said:
Yes. No one bothered to revolt.

I always try to get out of despotism ASAP. Having most of your tiles restricted to 2 food and 2 shields is a big draw back. those irrigated game and cow (and irrigation needed to connect fresh water to the cow, game and plains) provide a lot of food when out of despotism, allowing for several settler factories which is good for settling India territory to make a second core ( India doesn't know how to do RCP). plus the bonus of extra commerce. sure upkeep is a bit more but that is cancelled out by all the extra commerce. the extra commerce also takes care of the lack of military police if you just put a fraction of it into lux, and then your MP is free to go and fight.

Niklas said:
@Genghis069: That's why the Great Lighthouse is so important on a map like this one. It enables trade via sea tiles so you don't have to wait all the way to Astronomy.

:blush: Yeah... wonderful... missed in his post that he had the Lighthouse. *sigh*

Gah, I felt I was making good time for once, posting in both the first and second spoiler threads fairly early. But now the final spoiler is up, and I'm still some 100 or so turns from a finish. And RL keeps me busy up until friday. I hope this 20k race won't end in a big anti-climax for me. :sad:

[ptw] 1.27f

@Redbad: Very nice use of Anarchy! :) The few times I've been in a similar situation, the AI I was targeting was Religious, so the Anarchy period didn't help. :(

Entered Middle Ages in 430 BC, learning Republic and trading for Currency. 5 Turns of Anarchy, so I was Republic starting in 330 BC. I had a pre-build going forever on Colossus, that I switched to Great Lighthouse once I had Map-Making, and I did complete that Wonder. Very Useful on this Map, with no resources and few Luxuries.

I've already detailed how India completed Great Wall just after I declared, got Allies and landed my Archer forces. They died at the walls of Madras - no early Horses for me! So I had gotten maps from the Arabs, and saw a loose Iron to the NW, outfitted a fleet of Galleys and landed a total of 5 Settlers with defenders all along the coast from the Iron down to the Silks in the South. One city was founded at the narrow part of the isthmus, so I had a direct path for my Galleys to go towards France! :mischief: I had a new plan to get horses - French horses!

Research-wise, I got Monotheism for free, and knowing the AI would already be researching Feudalism for me, I set off to learn Engineering. Sure enough, we learned it about the same time. And my 20 turn alliances against India were just expiring, so I was able to sign Peace with Mahatma, and trade Engineering and Monotheism for Feudalism and whatever other commodities were available. Getting Engineering in the hands of the AI sends them off towards Invention; meanwhile I researched Theology and was able to trade for Invention right after I learned Theology. Education was the follow-up. I debated delaying Education so I would have a Tech trade; then I thought about it - they are likely learning Chivalry, not Gunpowder. So I finished Education first, and started on Gunpowder. I traded Education for whatever commodities and Gold I could get. I figured this would give them the option to learn Astronomy and/or Banking for me, while I researched toward Military Tradition.

War with France - meanwhile, I was building some Vet Warriors. Once I had a decent group of them, I finished a harbor at my Iron city by cash-rush, and started the upgrades to Medieval Infantry. I set up a ferry system between Germany proper and the landmass to the West. I already had a road system in place along that coast of the main continent, so I could land the MI, move them along roads to the center section and build up. I DOW on France, and took their only city in this area, Chartres. I moved several Galleys through my chokepoint city, and the invasion of France proper began. I didn't stop until I'd captured all of Joan's mainland cities; only Besancon, down in the Tundra South of the coast I had colonized was still French. (400 AD) I founded a few new cities in the captured French territories, and set up a Palace Jump (470 AD) to New Cologne after completing FP on my original island. My second Core was established.

With French horses, I started building Vet Horsemen. Gunpowder showed up near Paris; I pillaged it to be sure it didn't expire. I'd never traded for Chivalry, so I didn't have to disconnect my Iron to build Horsemen. The AI did learn Astronomy for me, while I researched Gunpowder, Chemistry, Metallurgy and Military Tradition (600 AD). I built a total of 25-30 Horsemen by this point. I'd traded Gunpowder for Astronomy along the way, and gotten an ROP with India as well, and as much Gold as the market would give me. In 660 AD I did the ROP-rape of India, capturing 6 or 7 of Mahatma's cities with my Cav. I then allied the Arabs and Aztecs with me against India, and got ROP's with them! I wanted to use the ROP against them as well, so I had to keep the war with India open, which wasn't a problem. I quickly captured all of Mahatma's main cities, leaving him with 3 far North tundra cities.

Next was the Aztecs, and they fell fairly quickly. Monte had 10 cities, and they were all gone by 770 AD. Finally I started to set up against the Arabs, but they decided to sign Peace with India, breaking the ROP agreement. One turn before I was in position, they demanded I leave their territory, which I agreed to due to a big stack of Arab MedInf next to a captured Indian city. I started the war just after that, and even without the ROP the Arabs were handled very easily.

That's about all to this story. After I'd upgraded all my Horsemen to Cavalry, I let them roll along and started reseach back up. I believe I 5 turned Physics, Magnetism, Theory of Gravity and Banking, entering the Industrial Age in 840 AD.

I am surprised at how weak the AI has been so far. The French had 2 or 3 Horsemen total, and a couple of Archers which they left in their cities. The only Indian War Elephant was generated by a CF back to Mahatma; no built WEs and no MedInf, just Spears and Archers for Mahatma. And the Aztecs had 2 or 3 Knights; otherwise just Spears and Archers. Arabs had about 10 MedInf, which is something - just not against Cav. :)

Top Bottom