1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goverments

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Desert-Storm, Aug 17, 2004.

1. T-Money

T-Money Conquestador

I feel kind of uncomfortable playing fascist as my great grandpa was in the Holocaust, but otherwise it is a good warmonger civ. Thanks for the input.

2. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

Yeah, that's the problem with those kinds of governments....too many bad memories associated with them.

3. rainmaker

rainmaker Chieftain

One of the reasons I like communism as a warmonger is the spread put of corruption. The far away enemy cities I take are more productive. True my core cities are less but the far away cities soon out number those.

4. Meta

Meta Chieftain

I usually stick with republic during times of peace because it has less corruption and some unit support. It is the first government I shoot for and usually stay with since it has less corruption than Monarchy and doesn't have the -1 Tile bonus problem associated with despotism. When it's time for the industrial age (If the game lasts that long) I usually go for communism if my empire is large because of the low communal corruption or if I am falling behind in techs and need some extra territory I go for fascism since it has high worker productivity and its nuisance corruption is better than communal for small empires.

5. Meta

Meta Chieftain

By the way has anyone found a use for feudalism? It is more ideal than republic for small empires looking to warmonging but Monarchy still beats its hefty 3 gold upkeep per unit (bad for war)

6. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

Feudalism is the shafted government. They originally intended to make all buildings free under Feudalism (it's still in the manual, in fact), but later removed that because it was too overpowering. Unfortunately, they forgot to add another good trait to balance out the horrible unit support.

I generally stick with Communism because of the communal corruption (I can actually build things in my outer cities! Oh joy!). The unit support is nice, too; if anything, it's stronger than it was in PTW (there's a little less support from Metropolises, but I usually have more Cities and Towns, so it all evens out). I haven't tried Fascism yet. The unit support looks good, but the thing that really scares me is the Xenophobia. It looks like your captured cities would be flipping like a politician if you can never build culture (although, granted, Mobilization has a similar effect, but at least you can build culture after the war ends!). Has anyone else tried it?

I usually don't use representative governments. Democracy really scares me off with its absolutely ZERO unit support (OUCH!) and the fact that, if you manage to go to war despite that, your people start rioting and could even overthrow you (imagine that in real life: "Down with Bush!" "Stop the War!" (pause) "Hail to the Proletariat!" "Kill the evil Capitalists!") Republic doesn't look as bad anymore now that it has some unit support (I'm wondering if the 2 gpt upkeep outweighs it, though). I might try that sometime. I generally go Despotism > Monarchy > Communism.

7. slightlymarxist

slightlymarxist Comrade

Since I tend to keep many smallish cities and swamp the AI:s with Archers, Settlers, Spearmen and whatnot, bullying and pestering them for money and technology and spreading like a cancer instead of actually making life better for my own citizens by building Improvements, I normally go Feudalism (woot!) - Communism. Later in the game if I feel all friendly like, I might switch to Democracy and play the building game 'till I win.

Feudalism supports 5 units/city for free as long as you don't let the city grown beyond pop 6. So I never build aqueducts - or anything else for that matter except barracks and units, and perhaps a temple or marketplace. I never get that 3g support cost. If I do, I build another city. It's ideal for ICS/medieval warmongering. I don't find war weariness to be a problem since I always make peace after I capture a city - that way I also get tribute on a regular basis. Try it, it's great!

You must be joking.

That's like saying "beep" sounds on Ricki Lake are profane. No offense.

8. Turner

9. screwtype

screwtype Chieftain

Well, since I found this forum everyone's been saying Republic, Republic, Republic, so I've tried it in the last three games and I think Republic sucks! Instead of making me richer, it always ends up costing me more money than despotism, and not only that but my citizens always seem to get really miserable under Republic!

In the latest game I'm playing, I was -2 gold per turn in despotism at the current tech research level, I switched to Republic and I'm -46 gold per turn!

So I had to turn research right back to near zero. And the other thing I hate about Republic is how miserable the citizenry is. I mean, your cities get miserable in anarchy, but I find that when I switch to Republic they STAY miserable, as though I'm still in anarchy!

So, what did Republic do for me? It gave me -46 gold per turn plus a whole lot of cities with zero growth because of all the entertainers I had to make.

At this stage, I just finished researching Feudalism, and since I'm a religious civ and desperate to get out of Republic, I switched to Feudalism for the hell of it and whammo! I go from -46 gold per turn to +52!!! And all my citizens are HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! Like I've got size ten cities and eight of their citizens are happy!

Like slightlymarxist says, don't underestimate feudalism, if you have a lot of small cities it rocks! My army is getting humungously large right now.... :)

10. Turner

How are your cities looking under Republic? Do you have your worker-tiles roaded? Do you have marketplaces and banks for gold? Temples and Cathedrals for happiness? Plenty of lux's for happiness as well?

The problem, and come to think of it, we didn't say much about it, is that Republic requires infrastructure, and without that infrastructure it's not that good a government. When you have all eight lux's, and marketplaces in that city, you generate 20 happy faces. That's enough to make a size 10 city go into WLTKD, without any other improvement. Plus, you get a 50% bonus to your income from that city by the marketplace being there. When your tiles are roaded and you're in republic, you'll get a lot more gold generated from those roads than you would have outside of it (or democracy).

A lot of us who love Republic spend a lot of time in Monarchy, getting everything up to speed, then changing over when our infrastructure is ready to handle it.

11. screwtype

screwtype Chieftain

Yeah, well that makes sense Turner. It sure doesn't make sense getting into it prematurely.

I usually have a lot of towns early in the game, you get lousy unit support with towns in republic. It probably makes more sense to switch to Republic when most of your cities are size 7 plus - by which time you usually have a fair bit of infrastructure and, with luck, quite a few lux's as well.

One thing's for sure, I won't be making the mistake of switching to it early in the piece again!

12. Turner

Yeah. I do it all the time (switching early) to avoid a second long term anarchy later in the game. Unless I"m Religious, then I'll switch governments more often. I'll even use democracy, then!

It hurts, but with enough workers you can recover quickly enough.

13. dacar92

dacar92 Chieftain

It seems like I make more cash using democracy rather than any other. Unless I am at war. If I plan a war I will switch, but otherwise I go for democracy.

14. Breunor

Breunor Chieftain

I always seem to find Republic not working well, maybe because its early in the game when I can get it. Whenever I have tried to switch from Despotism to Reublic, I'm finding my military costs are too high.

Republic does seem to work if I have a lot of luxuries. Otherwise, I seem to find I need troops for MP early in the game. Otherwise, you have to use the luxury slider and despite Republic's economic advantages, I find it not working.

Later in the game, once you have citites, I can see Republic competing with Democracy. However, I till like Democracy. It isn't just the lower corruption, its the lower waste also.

I know its odd on this forum, but I do use Feudalism a bit in the middle game. Again, its the army support. Early in the game, my cities all seem to be 1 - 6 in size. I never seem to get luxuries! So I need the MP to get the cities' happiness up, so they can grow, and with 5 support/town, I have the most money available.

My last game I saved right before cjanging governments, from Despotism. On Monarchy and Republic my gold available for research went down, but it went way up with Feudalism.

Of course, a key point here is it is different if you have a lot of luxuries, and don't need the MP (or play on a lower level where you get more happiness).

Also, I don't build my cities too close to each other, so I build bigger cities closer to an OCP than an ICS. This may also impact which government is best.

Breunor

15. Alone

Alone Chieftain

Democracy ... and when in war Communism or Monarchy ...before discovering of Democraty I usualy play Monarchy (rearly Republic 'tho it's fine at peacfull time since coruption is lower)..

I can be in war successfully with Democracy, but not longer than about ten, fifteen turns ...so tend to shortness the war if possible, and like to play with religious civ (don't like riots for a several turns when my troops bleed for the country...)

16. bob rulz

bob rulz Chieftain

What? Even on Warlord, with Marketplaces, Cathedrals, Colosseums, you name it, and almost every luxury, I still can't go to war in a Republic for more than about 5 turns.

Anyway, I like Republic. With my huge empire in my recent game, good infrastructure, large cities, I was getting +200 to +300 gold per turn. :goodjob:

17. Turner

It really helps, under Republic/Democracy, to have them declare on you.

My wars in Demo used to be long, often well over 20 turns. Of course, when you've got military superiority, Demo wars can go on a lot longer. Winning cities not losing units means WW doesn't go up very much. But start losing the units/cities....revolts happen pretty quickly.

18. Samson

Samson Warlord

The critical thing is to understand how war weariness works. If you are carfull, and do not have to lose loads of units in the war then you can go a long time.

I have just had a war, it started around 500BC and it is now around 350AD and I have only just started to get level 1 war weariness. That is 60 WWP in getting on 100 turns.

To read about how to do this check out http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_war_weariness.shtml

HTH

19. Olli513

Olli513 Launch torpedo number 3!

Because i nearly always play with china,i have the industrious bonus.So, i don't need the 150% worker effiency. :sniper: :vomit:

20. Olli513

Olli513 Launch torpedo number 3!