Governments and Politics III

Conclusion Update

Drums thumped throughout the city. The procession, lead by Minister and Ritual Master Shu Wei, left the shrine after invoking the god-image of Tu Di Gong into a palanquin to carry throughout the procession. Missionaries carried the palanquin, followed by drummers and chanters. As the procession moved through the trading area people joined the procession. Some carried statuettes made out of stone and salt. Some even had made shrines with gold. Even foreigners stopped to watch the procession that gained more and more momentum. Merchants from Jerusalem and Onondaga were admiring the parade on the sides. The palanquin gave a tour around the main square in front of the palace, and then made a stop at the monument, which was filled with statuettes, idols and shrines of salt, stone and gold, adorned with flowers and herbs. The procession then returned to the main shrine where Shu Wei closured the festival by returning the god-image to the sanctuary of the shrine, blessing the people and conducting the finishing rites.

Yet the celebrations continued in the streets of Beijing. People cheered the name of Shu Wei while drinking to his name. Yet he was not the only one being flattered by the people. Liu Song hosted another party open to the public to celebrate the end of the festival with major success. Beijing would not forget the good times had during this festival and will anxiously for the next.

The heralds announced throughout the city the new ministers and Grand Secretary after recent deaths. The new Grand Secretary would be Wong Zan Guo. Replacing him as Minister of Interior would be Ma Jia Bao. Yu Su became Minister of War while Han Jin Wei became Minister of Justice following his father’s footsteps. Two Council seats were eliminated from the council. The heralds also announced the orders issued by Lord Lam Tu with support of the council. Lord Lam Tu orders for Aristocracy to be maintained as our next social policy. A settler expedition shall be organized to found a city near Mt. Tai after the Pyramids are completed. Horseback riding shall be maintained as the next technique to research. Workers are to improve all resources in all territory available.

Then, Lord Lam Tu returned to Beijing in all safety and announced to the crowds the results of his meeting with the Zulu.

“Fellow Chinese citizens. I have met with the chieftain of the Zulu, Chief Iti Mubal, and our talks were fruitful. This new chief is nothing we had imagined. He is open to talk and truthful. I have the honor to say war in the near future has been avoided. We have agreed to split the land west of the mountains and the Greeks. The Zulu promise not to settle south of their current lands while we promise not to settle north of their lands or west of Shanghai. At the same time we have agreed to not intervene in any military conflict involving either party. We live in great times, my citizens. Peace lies ahead, as well as all the discoveries that our age awaits. May Tu Di Gong bless these lands and may Tiam bless all of China!”

Beijing applauded. When news reached Shanghai, the crowds seemed skeptical. Yu Tai assured them that it was no reason to trust the Zulu, and that preparations for war would have to continue. “Weather they keep their promise or they break it like I know they will, it is better to be militarily superior and ready for combat.” Then Hong Qing sent his steward out to the public, to give unwanted news. The orders of the lordship of Shanghai are to build a Paper Maker to increase knowledge and innovation in the city. All are to comply as soon as the granary is finished.

And with that, another five years would come and go in the lands of China.

Deaths
None

Session 3 Turn 3 is now over

I shall be traveling this week for vacations with limited access to computer, so expect the next session to come next week ;)

Hello!

I apologize for the prolonged delay. There have been a few unexpected events that have delayed the next update. I should have it up by this Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Thank you for your patience!

News Report

T81 (850 BC)
Workers finish silver mines in Shanghai. They travel to Beijing to repair the southern salt mines.
The wise men of Beijing have perfected the techniques of construction, allowing for larger, sturdier buildings throughout China. They now begin work on the techniques of horseback riding.

T82 (825 BC)
Indonesia founds Hinduism in the now holy city of Jakarta. Stories of a divine guru performing miracles and speaking of forgotten truths circulate the world.

T85 (750 BC)
Portugal and the Iroquois reach the classical era, catching up to the rest of the world.
Our workers have finished a new city connection between Shanghai and Beijing by building China’s first system of roads. Workers now begin working on a deer camp in Shanghai.

T86 (752 BC)
Scouts from the lands of Rome reach Beijing, bringing new stories and fables from their far away lands.
Without new orders, the trade route between Beijing and Jerusalem is maintained.

T87 (700 BC)
Our workers begin repairing the southern salt mines in Beijing.
An emissary from Jerusalem reaches Beijing with a message: “The merchants of Jerusalem seek new riches. They have heard rumors of marble and its great value. China will be rewarded if its leadership is able to connect this resource to our trade network.”

T88 (675 BC)
Our wise men have discovered the technique to control, conduct and ride horses. They now begin to look at a system to keep track of the movement of the heavens and measure time.

T89 (650 BC)
The Great Pyramids of China have been finished in Beijing, projecting their splendor throughout the world. Two worker units, composed of the men who worked on the grand project, have appeared in the capital ready to take new tasks.
Workers have finished repairing the southern salt mines.
Shanghai has finished building their granary

Spoiler :
[/URL][/IMG]

Session 4

Solemn thumping drums rebounded through the streets of Beijing. The loved lord Lam Tu had passed away from natural causes at an old age. The people gathered in the streets as they saw the procession pass by. Servants from the palace carried his body to the Great Pyramids, which were finished just in time to receive their mastermind. The people were worried. They resented the memories of past governments, less benevolent, focused on wealth rather then the entire Chinese clan. They also looked up north with fear as rumors circulated of huge machines built for destruction and war. Who could replace Lam Tu and continue such a great rule? The people looked to the future with even less positive prospects as another great man passed away, the man in charge of running the construction of the Great Pyramids Minister Fei Lee.

In the west a caravan from the people’s champion returned with an emissary from Greece. They had made the long voyage to Sparta and had returned along with many Greek caravans willing to start a trade route. Beijing would not only accommodate a diaspora of Jerusilites but also of merchants from the Despotate of Greece. The emissary would have to wait to be able to speak with the new lord of China.

Shanghai also saw unstable moments. The small city of Shanghai, now re-energized with the silver mine fields, the new road with Beijing, a Granary to store food properly and a soon to come deer camp, disagrees entirely with Lord Hong Qing’s decision to build a Paper Maker. The people fear their northern neighbors, and the agreement Lam Tu made with the Zulu does not reassure them. They see Spearmen and catapults near Shanghai’s borders, which only adds to their flame of aggression. Rhee Syngman and Yu Tai have expanded the Security Forces with the new silver mines and the tributes they receive from it. Though this helps keep order, it may soon be not enough.

China faces many new decisions, and a change in leadership. Will it be a smooth transition? Will there be continuity in policy or will it be a change in direction? The Chinese will soon find out.

In-game Issues
What shall be produced in Beijing?
What shall be produced in Shanghai?
What shall be researched after Calendar?
Will aristocracy be maintained as the next social policy?
What shall our workers do?

Decisions
Who shall be the next Lord of Beijing?
Who shall be the new minister of works in Beijing?

Issues
The people of Shanghai once again demand concrete action against the Zulu
A Greek emissary awaits to speak with the proper authorities of Beijing

Deaths
Fei Lee
Lam Tu
Sun Chih

Spoiler Beijing :

Spoiler Shanghai :

Spoiler Military and Health :

Spoiler Tech Tree :

Spoiler Social Policy :

Well, dam.

-Last words of Fei Li whilst explaining various types of hydrological structures to the new worker units.

Public Speech: Minister of Rites, Shu Wei

We mourn the passing of Lam Tu and Sun Chih, and assure the people of China that council is proceeding with appropriate consideration to decide the succession to the Lordship of the Land. We apologise to our Hellenic guests for any delay in receiving their embassy, and assure them that the appropriate measures required to receive them during the interregnum are being processed with appropriate haste. Finally in accordance with ritual and tradition, we assure the people that the orderly progression of governance will continue as always. Any aggression or rabble-rousing against China from within or without will be met with the appropriate force by Council should such evil forces seek our ruin while the Lordship is yet to be decided, and likewise council is committed to maintaining stable governance in fidelity to our Late Lords wishes, and in the light of the wise policies that have heretofore served us well.

Midsession Event

There is chaos in the streets of Shanghai. Local leaders came out to the public square to denounce Hong Qing and his decision to build a paper maker. They declared that if the decision was not revised, the local leaders would no longer support his rule, and that his fate would be in the hands of the citizens of Shanghai. People gathered to protest, demanding actions towards improving defenses and the military capacity of Shanghai. Yet the protests soon turned awry. People began throwing rocks at the palace, and lighting torches to throw at the residence of Qing. Security Forces were not seen in the area doing anything to keep order. As the vandalism increased, and as the shouts became more violent, the violence spread to other localities to take things and damage other buildings. A scribe working for the palace even received a beating. But then the archers of the city arrived to the scene in great numbers, thumping drums to alarm the crowd. They positioned themselves in front of the palace and on any high ground, even on buildings nearby, pointing their arrows at the crowds from windows and terraces. The crowds reduced in number, but continued to provoke the soldiers, insult Hong Qing, and throw rocks.

The first arrow was let loose without anticipation. Then more arrows were fired. As the crowd shouted in rage more people were pinned down. Soon rage turned into panic, and the crowd dispersed, leaving behind the bodies of the dead. Rumors spread of the orders given by Hong Qing to kill all the aggressors.

In Beijing, things were calmer as usual. Kwok Tai Zhi, the young head of the house of Kwok, came to the public square to assert his right to a seat in the council.

“The Kwok have served China for many generations. It has been our duty, and our honor. Yet now we are deprived fro participation since the death of my father. I was too young to react, but now I come to regain my family’s honor. I ask for the position of Minister of Works so I may serve China in all my capacities. I thank you for listening to my pleads, and I hope the council in its wisdom makes the righteous decision.”

The young minister of the interior Ma Jia Bao passed away of natural causes in Beijing. This comes at an unfortunate time when the Ma loose a voice in the decision of the new lord. The heir of the lands, Ma Chun Ah, will administer the lands in the aid of his mother until he becomes of age. Ma Jia Bao leaves this earth along with a known merchant named Liu Song, once a strong competitor in the trade routes to Jerusalem.

The Greek emissary awaits in the growing greek neighborhood in the Trading area, while the population of China await the decision of the council on the new lord.

Deaths
Liu Song
Ma Jia Bao

Session 4 Turn 2 has now begun

Shu Wei: Public Speech

-

With regards to the unrest in Shanghai, I must report to the people of Beijing that it is not within the authority of council at present to intervene in Lord Hongs domestic affairs. However understanding the situation is dire, council understands that there is a great need to return the states focus to the strengthening of China's power for the peace of mind of our brethren in Shanghai, as well as for the long term good of our civilisation. Council likewise stands ready to listen to any requests made by Lord Hong if he wishes to consult council on matters as he has previously done on decisions prior to his most recent state project.

With regards to Master Kwoks public request to council, it shall of course be considered carefully. However we must inform him and all interested parties that such a decision ultimately must wait until a Lord is appointed. Once a Lord is appointed, upon his prerogative the vacant council positions can be filled at his will, and the matter of who is suitable will be discussed.

With regards to the greek embassy. I once again apologise to the honourable greek guests on behalf of council for the delay. Unfortunately with Shanghai so restive and with the death of eminent councillor Ma who was well regarded within the council of China, the pending decision has been drawn out beyond original expectations, although I am confident that a decision can be made soon, the other councillors being willing.

-

ooc: I hope Tambien and Wyverncraft can address the matter of the Lordship on the council social group as soon as possible. Once the ball starts rolling the preferred candidate will naturally emerge and we can start dealing with all the other matters (and making this thread more lively by perhaps putting an end to everything being close door council stuff :p )

Session Report

Beijing celebrates the naming of the new Lord of Beijing. Shu Wei, former minister or Rites, has been chosen by the council to take the position of lord and lead China into a new era. The people, though slightly surprised, found it reasonable for Shu Wei to lead China as Lord of Beijing.

The new rule would begin quick and without hesitation. Word was the city was preparing to create another unit of Spearmen, which would be followed by an expedition of settlers. Empty ministerial positions were also filled. Wu Tang was named Minister of the Interior as Beijing awaits his return from Jakarta, while Kwok Tai Zhi has been named Minister of Works. The second priest of Beijing was named Minister of Rites. His name is Cheung Guo, and he is known in the most zealous circles.

Beijing seemed tranquil, like the night in Shanghai. The wind brought the scent of the sea as the mist crowded among the hills of Shanghai, making it hard to see the stars in the sky. There seemed not a sound in the air or a soul awake in the city. The waves slowly foamed away into the black, sandy shore. Nothing seemed to break the static moment of the night. Not even the marching of men as the approached the city square.

Muffled voices made an attempt to travel through the moist air. Shouts, thumps and knocks began to change the mood of the night and to wake the people of Shanghai. Some came out of their homes to find the palace surrounded by Security Forces. Some inquired as to the events unfolding behind the wall of men, but the only light they were given pointed in the direction of their homes. The mystery would remain concealed in the haze and in the night.

The morning came with a clearer sky. Security Forces announced Hong Qing was no longer Lord of Shanghai. Local leaders helped in disseminating the important change. Yu Tai then announced the name of the new lord of the city. He stood in the public square, in front of the humble palace and a gathered crowd.

“People of Shanghai. I thank you for gathering at this time and in such peaceful manner. Last night the forces of Shanghai have ridden the city of an inept and slow ruler. Hong Qing is no longer lord of Shanghai. He shall remain alive in a villa with all necessities, as we do not believe in the execution of a fellow member of our community who’s mistake was only his incompetence. Last night a ruler stepped down. This morning a new ruler shall rise. Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to present to you Lord Rhee Syngman of Shanghai! He shall lead us in wisdom against the evil forces that threaten our city and our safety. I will step down now to allow him to speak directly to you. But before I do, I declare in front of all of you that I pledge my service as Captain of the Security Forces of Shanghai to Lord Rhee Syngman. May his rule be just and able.”
There was a mix of reactions. Many resented the way this had been carried out. It was a move never done before in Shanghai, and not ever recorded in Beijing. What will this new ruler, so close to the previous lord of Shanghai and married to the sister of Hong Qing, do for the city of Shanghai?

Deaths
Wu Xin

Session 4 Turn 3 has now begun

I apologize for the long delay once again. I have had many unexpected tasks to do which unfortunately stolen away my time. I am sorry for the inconveniences this has been causing.

PS: I dont know why but the civfanatics website keeps bugging, with many pop-ups and advertisement even replacing the tab...it is the only site doing this and I have already cleaned my computer for any malware and ad-ware. Any idea of what it could be?

No worries about the update intrigue is afoot in Shanghai it seems.
Regarding your problems with CFC, I haven't had any issues myself but Imp Knoedel has reported similar in the Site Feedback forum, you may want to drop in to the thread and let the admins know it's no longer an isolated incident.

Congratulations to our new ruler. May his days be long and fruitful, his reign ever wise and harmonious. I look forward to seeing his plans for China.

As for the events in Shanghai... I must condemn the manner in which this change of leadership was carried out. A coup promotes only chaos in China, where a legitimate transition does not.

Top Bottom