• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

GPIT 1770AD, Saturday 9/15 3:00 PM PDT (-7) 2200 GMT

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Designated Player: DaveShack
Format: Online, 10 turns
Save
Previous GPIT

Backups: Any DP in the pool may play as backup, with precedence in the order listed in the DP pool thread.

Oops, it's too late to make a poll now :blush:

Anyway: Steam Power - Steel - Railroad please (there seemed to be quite a consensus).

Instructions from Warlord:

THE PROVOPROMO ROME WAR FOR WAR PROMOTIONS

Review all our military units, and only move forwards the following types of units for the conquest of:

Ravenna :
Rome :
Last Roman City:

Only Riflemen that fought in the four first cities will be part of this phase of the war. Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 1 XP left before a promotion. If the number of Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 1 XP left before promotion is less than 12 units, please add Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 2 XP left before promotion up to a maximum of 16 units. The Force should also include the triple city raider and combat promotion Khans Gatebreakers.

This most competitive plan will allow us to max out the value of our units before we enter the quiet phase of our continents economic development. This is why I am so determined to only allow units very close to promotion to participate. The Romans are effectively a scarce resource for allowing these promotions to take place. If there are less Roman units than "hoped for", please prioritize to give the 65 % or more odds kills to the ones with 1 XP left before promotion first, then the 2 XP left. No other forces should act on this (But the most powerful Khans Gatebreakers). Also sacrifice recently produced macemen with "obsolete" promotions first. (cover and shock promotion).

All Catapults will be involved to bring down city defenses and perform collateral damage on defense stacks. Otherwise, the catapults should not engage the enemy.

No cavalry units but those with 1 XP left before a promotion are allowed to be part of the action. This should mostly be spent on actions outside cities on stray Roman units.

It looks the site was down.

Must I post my instructions on this thread?

Best regards,

First i vote for 10-20% cultural slider and building of theatre. Nob knows how long the war will be.

If not then look every turn for Xanadu.

Cities
Berlin

the new citizens like on the picture below allways on farming

Build queue: National Epic, taoist cloister

Munich

Build queue: change to confucian missionary, grocer, and worker

Xanadu

Change work tiles like picture

Build queue: change to theatre, Oxford

Cologne

Change work tiles like picture, next citizens on farming

Build queue: troops or missio

Frankfurt

Build queue: Change to Settler then observatorium

Tatar

Change work tiles like picture, when forge is ready and the fishingboat is on the shell work the shell

Build queue: forge, granary (change), lighthouse

Worker
continue, if there are free worker at Munich then irrigate the forest (SE) and plains (SS) and (ESE).

Attachments

• 1770 Berlin.JPG
    1770 Berlin.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 1770 Irrigate Munich.JPG
    1770 Irrigate Munich.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 1770 Theatre in Xanadu.JPG
    1770 Theatre in Xanadu.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 1770 Cologne.JPG
    1770 Cologne.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 1770 Tatar.JPG
    1770 Tatar.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 244
NOTB - build queue: market-theater

NotA - build queue: jail-colesseum-aqueduct
2 workers there: end windmill-go SW and road-go WSW windmill-go
EEEE farm

EA - build queue: jail-confucian temple-wealth (if/when Wall Street available
build it)
2 workers there: end windmill-go EE farm

Ainu - build queue: university-theater-jail
worker/s: farm and road the plains, clean and cottage the jungles

Clam Cove - build queue: forge-work boat
next pop to NW
1 worker: go E road, then build road to EA road
1 worker: go help Ainu.

Good luck!

North Western Aimag

I apologize for the delay in my instructions, I've just managed to sort out my technical difficulties and I'll be able to post instructions in detail from now on.

Cities

All cities should keep their initial citizen distributions except for Cumae, here is what their distribution should be.

Build Ques

Cumae: Finish the market, then build a worker and then a missionary of whichever religion we'll need and will fit at that time

Neapolis: Build a Theater, an Observatory, and a University

Pisae: Finish the Missionary, build a Market, and then a Missionary of whichever religion we need and will fit at that time

Marseilles: Finish the University, and build an Observatory.

Cities coming out of revolt are at your discretion, but I'd suggest a courthouse if there doesn't appear anything more critical that needs to be built.

Woker actions

Build a line of irrigation from Neapolis, demolishing the watermill NE of the city in order to access the river, down to the gap in the hills by Marseilles, passing through the rice outside of Pisea

If for any reason that path does not work improvise as you see fit to complete the aim of the project.

Other worker actions are secondary, if time allows or irrigation is impossible build lumbermills on the forest south of Neapolis, and the two forest east of Pisae.

I apologize for the nature of these worker actions I will put in my request for workers now that I can see the save and will hopefully be able to issue worker specific instructions for the next TC.

Settle coastline as discussed in the thread. The settler on the SE coast may already be on the right spot.

Tech trades may be done which are advantageous to us or no worse than 300 beakers in the other side's favor.

Refuse any demands from others.

Stockpile the Engineer since there wasn't a strong concensus on what to do with him.

Oops, it's too late to make a poll now :blush:

Anyway: Steam Power - Steel - Railroad please (there seemed to be quite a consensus).

Instructions from Warlord:

THE PROVOPROMO ROME WAR FOR WAR PROMOTIONS

Review all our military units, and only move forwards the following types of units for the conquest of:

Ravenna :
Rome :
Last Roman City:

Only Riflemen that fought in the four first cities will be part of this phase of the war. Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 1 XP left before a promotion. If the number of Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 1 XP left before promotion is less than 12 units, please add Riflemen, Macemen and Axemen with 2 XP left before promotion up to a maximum of 16 units. The Force should also include the triple city raider and combat promotion Khans Gatebreakers.

This most competitive plan will allow us to max out the value of our units before we enter the quiet phase of our continents economic development. This is why I am so determined to only allow units very close to promotion to participate. The Romans are effectively a scarce resource for allowing these promotions to take place. If there are less Roman units than "hoped for", please prioritize to give the 65 % or more odds kills to the ones with 1 XP left before promotion first, then the 2 XP left. No other forces should act on this (But the most powerful Khans Gatebreakers). Also sacrifice recently produced macemen with "obsolete" promotions first. (cover and shock promotion).

All Catapults will be involved to bring down city defenses and perform collateral damage on defense stacks. Otherwise, the catapults should not engage the enemy.

No cavalry units but those with 1 XP left before a promotion are allowed to be part of the action. This should mostly be spent on actions outside cities on stray Roman units.

First i vote for 10-20% cultural slider and building of theatre. Nob knows how long the war will be.

If not then look every turn for Xanadu.

Cities
Berlin

the new citizens like on the picture below allways on farming

Build queue: National Epic, taoist cloister

Munich

Build queue: change to confucian missionary, grocer, and worker

Xanadu

Change work tiles like picture

Build queue: change to theatre, Oxford

Cologne

Change work tiles like picture, next citizens on farming

Build queue: troops or missio

Frankfurt

Build queue: Change to Settler then observatorium

Tatar

Change work tiles like picture, when forge is ready and the fishingboat is on the shell work the shell

Build queue: forge, granary (change), lighthouse

Worker
continue, if there are free worker at Munich then irrigate the forest (SE) and plains (SS) and (ESE).

NOTB - build queue: market-theater

NotA - build queue: jail-colesseum-aqueduct
2 workers there: end windmill-go SW and road-go WSW windmill-go
EEEE farm

EA - build queue: jail-confucian temple-wealth (if/when Wall Street available
build it)
2 workers there: end windmill-go EE farm

Ainu - build queue: university-theater-jail
worker/s: farm and road the plains, clean and cottage the jungles

Clam Cove - build queue: forge-work boat
next pop to NW
1 worker: go E road, then build road to EA road
1 worker: go help Ainu.

Good luck!

North Western Aimag

I apologize for the delay in my instructions, I've just managed to sort out my technical difficulties and I'll be able to post instructions in detail from now on.

Cities

All cities should keep their initial citizen distributions except for Cumae, here is what their distribution should be.

Build Ques

Cumae: Finish the market, then build a worker and then a missionary of whichever religion we'll need and will fit at that time

Neapolis: Build a Theater, an Observatory, and a University

Pisae: Finish the Missionary, build a Market, and then a Missionary of whichever religion we need and will fit at that time

Marseilles: Finish the University, and build an Observatory.

Cities coming out of revolt are at your discretion, but I'd suggest a courthouse if there doesn't appear anything more critical that needs to be built.

Woker actions

Build a line of irrigation from Neapolis, demolishing the watermill NE of the city in order to access the river, down to the gap in the hills by Marseilles, passing through the rice outside of Pisea

If for any reason that path does not work improvise as you see fit to complete the aim of the project.

Other worker actions are secondary, if time allows or irrigation is impossible build lumbermills on the forest south of Neapolis, and the two forest east of Pisae.

I apologize for the nature of these worker actions I will put in my request for workers now that I can see the save and will hopefully be able to issue worker specific instructions for the next TC.

Settle coastline as discussed in the thread. The settler on the SE coast may already be on the right spot.

Tech trades may be done which are advantageous to us or no worse than 300 beakers in the other side's favor.

Refuse any demands from others.

Stockpile the Engineer since there wasn't a strong concensus on what to do with him.

Session starting now, after I reboot my game computer.

Preturn save. Wow, that took 1.5 hours by itself! :eek: Granted, this was while my kids were bugging me about the rain, but even so it's a long time.

Update: 3 hours 45 minutes in, middle of turn 5. Ravenna has fallen, Rome teeters on the brink. 2 promotions earned, one 9/10 rifle lost at 75% odds. Taking some time for pizza.

Update: 7:43 PM, turn 5 complete. Rome has fallen, might have the odds to finish the Romans next turn.

The Romans were destroyed on the next turn. It's now time to stop to make the final decision on civics changes.
Ending save

Spoiler chat log :

[15:18] <DaveShack> play session starting
[15:23] <DaveShack> loaded...
[15:25] * DaveShack hopes the power stays on, there is a thunderstorm in the area
[15:30] <DaveShack> tech is set
[15:30] <DaveShack> checking cities
[15:30] <Chieftess> hi
[15:30] <Chieftess> How's the chat going?
[15:31] <Chieftess> That that there's many here... (I miss the good old days when a dozen or so people were in for a turnchat)
[15:31] <Chieftess> *not that...
[15:32] <DaveShack> just starting really -- it started raining and the kids are going bonkers
[15:37] <Chieftess> Are we finishing off Rome anytime soon?
[15:39] <DaveShack> should be this set, unless movement takes too long
[15:39] <DaveShack> finished NE Aimag cities
[15:41] <DaveShack> SE Aimag - no changes needed
[15:43] <DaveShack> NW Aimag - changed Cumae MM, done
[15:43] <DaveShack> now the fun of getting familiar with all the units
[15:53] <Chieftess> Are you familar with them yet? :p
[15:54] <DaveShack> more keep popping up
[16:04] <DaveShack> galleon vs caravel, 73% wins, 1.1/4
[16:08] <DaveShack> settled "city #1" in the SE corner
[16:11] <DaveShack> finally got through all the military. started positioning near promotion units forward according to warlord's plan.
[16:15] <DaveShack> culture 10% yields 17 refuse to work
[16:16] <DaveShack> culture 20% gives 7
[16:16] <DaveShack> 40 sci / 20 cult -26gpt
[16:16] <DaveShack> 50 sci / 10 cult -39gpt
[16:17] <DaveShack> 60 sci / 0 cult -56gpt
[16:18] <DaveShack> 0 cult 28 refuse
[16:20] <DaveShack> need 5 missionaries to get all cities confucian
[16:21] <DaveShack> switch to 40 sci / 20 cult
[16:27] <DaveShack> worker near EA renamed "SE 1", starts farm
[16:28] <DaveShack> worker RS 4 renamed NW 1, mines a hill 2N of Frankfurt
[16:30] <DaveShack> worker RS 2 @clam cove renamed SE 2, starts to fill in road along coast towards new city#1
[16:30] <DaveShack> worker RS 1 (??) renamed SE 3, also roads
[16:32] <DaveShack> worker NOTA1 @coppertown renamed NW 1 and moves toward Neapolis for irrigation chain
[16:33] <DaveShack> Frankfurt worker was supposed to be NE 1, fixed
[16:33] <DaveShack> EA 1 @ coppertown renamed NW 2, moved to neapolis
[16:34] <DaveShack> NOTA 2 @ coppertown renamed NW 3, moved to neapolis
[16:35] <DaveShack> end of turn 0, 1770 AD, 630g -28gpt, Steam Power in 1
[16:35] <DaveShack> saving and uploading
[16:40] <DaveShack> hitting enter
[16:41] <DaveShack> Steam Power done, Steel in 5
[16:43] <DaveShack> coppertown jail->theater (2)
[16:43] <DaveShack> Lyons barracks->theater(2)
[16:43] <DaveShack> Paris frigate->theater(2)
[16:44] <DaveShack> Pisae buddhist missionary->market
[16:45] <DaveShack> EA jail->conf. temple
[16:45] <DaveShack> Ainu uni->theater
[16:47] <DaveShack> budd. missionary to Xanadu
[16:48] <DaveShack> here's a surprise -- the Incan galleon is headed out to sea!
[16:49] <DaveShack> wake our galleon in Tartar and head east
[16:53] <DaveShack> worker near hamburg goes toward munich
[16:54] <DaveShack> send a galleon to antium
[16:57] <DaveShack> near Antium promote 6/2 mace to double CR and upgrade to rifle (very few units 1xp from promo available)
[17:04] <DaveShack> send catapults, noyan first maulers (which has medic), double cr rifle toward Ravenna
[17:09] <DaveShack> N galleon checks Circei - longbow & pike defenders
[17:10] <DaveShack> checks Rome - crossbow, 4 longbows, 2 cats
[17:12] <DaveShack> Khan's Gatebreakers now full healed
[17:13] <DaveShack> no, not healed, just came up in the order lol
[17:13] <DaveShack> has 17/17 xp, give them cover given the Romans now have all archery units
[17:14] <DaveShack> now can upgrade to Rifle, so do
[17:16] <DaveShack> NOTA workers road 1N of city, windmill 2W of city
[17:17] <DaveShack> east coast road filled in between clam cove and city#1
[17:18] <DaveShack> Neapolis workers irrigate over the watermill
[17:20] <DaveShack> high promo rifles need some more turns to heal
[17:21] <DaveShack> end of turn 1, 1775AD, 322g-44gpt, Steel in 5
[17:21] <DaveShack> pressing enter
[17:22] <DaveShack> Riversight rifle->theater
[17:23] <DaveShack> Rheims conf. missionary->settler
[17:23] <DaveShack> Neapolis theater->Observatory
[17:24] <DaveShack> Munich conf. missionary->grocer
[17:24] <DaveShack> Arpinium resistance ends, starts courthouse
[17:24] <DaveShack> Confucianism spreads to city#1
[17:25] <DaveShack> aha, the incas didn't go out to sea on purpose, they don't have open borders
[17:26] <DaveShack> someone finishes Spiral Minaret
[17:29] <DaveShack> troops advance on Ravenna & Rome
[17:30] <DaveShack> irrigate at Munich
[17:31] <DaveShack> conf. missionary sent to Arpinium
[17:32] <DaveShack> conf. missionary to Hamburg
[17:35] <DaveShack> conf. missionary to Dortmund
[17:36] <DaveShack> fish some clams at Tartar
[17:41] <DaveShack> end of turn 2, 1780 AD, 278g-48gpt, Steel in 4
[17:41] <DaveShack> hitting enter
[17:41] <DaveShack> IBT knight defeats Roman musket
[17:43] <DaveShack> NOTA jail->colloseum
[17:43] <DaveShack> EA conf. temple->wealth
[17:44] <DaveShack> riversight theater->wealth
[17:44] <DaveShack> Coppertown theater->buddhist missionary
[17:44] <DaveShack> Lyons theater->harbor
[17:45] <DaveShack> Orleans Buddhist missionary->theater
[17:45] <DaveShack> Paris theater->frigate
[17:46] <DaveShack> Frankfurt settler->Observatory
[17:46] <DaveShack> Xanadu theater->oxford
[17:48] <DaveShack> Incas landed their settler next to the Iron, south of Frankfurt and east of Cologne
[17:48] <DaveShack> time to figure out how we want to do the boxing out
[17:50] <Chieftess> Kind of reminds me of something in Civ3 DG3 where we were trying to box out the AI settling in "our" territory.
[17:51] <Chieftess> I say we head for nukes, build up an arsenal, and conquer their foul continent! :D ;) (actually, culture pressure might be better)
[17:51] <Chieftess> Global Warming seems more vengeful in Civ4.
[17:55] <DaveShack> we're missing the contingent from Civ3 who liked to nuke & then launch the spaceship
[17:59] <DaveShack> playing as myself I'd just take the gift of a settler and worker -- no way they'll wage effective overseas war yet, and we'd be ready if they did come
[18:02] <DaveShack> dropped City #2 on the Iron. the incas will be forced inland and then we can surround them with culture
[18:03] <DaveShack> building an irrigation chain to Tartar
[18:03] <DaveShack> fished some clams at Clam Cove
[18:05] <DaveShack> bombardment of Rome begins, 2 cats on station
[18:07] <DaveShack> the tile at NOTA that we just windmilled turns out to have coal
[18:07] <DaveShack> plenty of sources, so leave it be for nwo
[18:12] <DaveShack> working some workers...
[18:12] <DaveShack> spread Buddhism to Paris
[18:13] <DaveShack> spread Confucianism to Arpinium
[18:14] <DaveShack> start bombarding Ravenna
[18:15] <DaveShack> Ravenna down to 10%
[18:17] <DaveShack> end of turn 3, 1785AD, 230g-13gpt, Steel in 3
[18:17] <DaveShack> hitting enter
[18:17] <DaveShack> no AI action
[18:18] <DaveShack> Coppertown conf. missionary->wealth
[18:19] <DaveShack> Lyons harbor->wealth
[18:19] <DaveShack> Ainu theater->jail
[18:19] <DaveShack> Marseilles uni->observatory
[18:20] <DaveShack> Berlin National Epic->Taoist Monastery (cloister?)
[18:20] <DaveShack> Dortmund out of resistence, courthouse
[18:21] <DaveShack> Aztecs declare war on Inca
[18:22] <DaveShack> neapolis irrigation chain continues
[18:23] <DaveShack> Ravenna bombarded to zero
[18:24] <DaveShack> Stormer infantry (combat+CR2) vs longbow, 95% wins, 9.8 left, 10/10xp
[18:25] <DaveShack> CR2 rifle vs longbow, wins 6.2 left, 8/10xp
[18:26] <DaveShack> CR2 rifle vs longbow, wins 12.0 left, 7/10xp
[18:27] <DaveShack> Noyan 1st Maulers vs Spearman wins, Ravenna captured, 152g pillaged -- keep city
[18:33] <Strider> Heya DS
[18:33] <DaveShack> bombard Rome to 0%
[18:34] <DaveShack> Rifle vs longbow, 71% wins 9.2 left, 3xp to 10/10 :)
[18:34] <DaveShack> rifle vs longbow, 75%. was 9/10 xp, lost :(
[18:35] <DaveShack> spread Buddhism to Xanadu
[18:36] <DaveShack> worthless ice island to the SE. Provolution will be so smug to find there is land there
[18:36] <Strider> It's still useless
[18:37] <Strider> Unless you like cold drinks
[18:38] <DaveShack> end of turn 4, 1790 AD, 369g+24gpt, steel in 2 -- hmm, it's really close
[18:38] <DaveShack> going from 40% to 50% would be -69gpt, a little too steep given there is rollover in Civ4
[18:38] <DaveShack> hitting enter
[18:39] <Strider> eh, whatever happened to the times when this was a major event?
[18:39] <DaveShack> NOTA colosseum->aqueduct
[18:39] <DaveShack> folks like you got busy ;)
[18:40] <DaveShack> Cumae market->worker
[18:40] <Strider> Yes well... blame college.
[18:40] <Strider> That and I just haven't been able to get into the DG again. I'm not as hot headed as I use to be.
[18:40] <DaveShack> Cologne rifle->confucian missionary
[18:41] <DaveShack> it's a struggle for me now, the kids are growing up
[18:41] <DaveShack> hamburg taoist missionary->another
[18:42] <Strider> Growing up? Getting to the age where you running them everywhere?
[18:42] <DaveShack> Romans get a great prophet
[18:42] <DaveShack> yeah, 1st grade and 3 years, so now we have soccer, girl scouts, and all the school events
[18:47] <DaveShack> pizza is up, time to take a break
[18:48] <DaveShack> 3 hours 45 minutes, only halfway through turn 5
[18:48] <Strider> Pizza? Kind of late for dinner
[18:50] <DaveShack> only 6:50 here -- a little later than normal but not much
[18:50] <Strider> Ahh, your two hours behind me
[19:31] <DaveShack> I'm back
[19:32] <DaveShack> sacrifice a couple of catapults at Rome for collateral damage
[19:33] <DaveShack> rifle vs longbow wins, 5.6 left
[19:33] <DaveShack> rifle vs longbow wins, 5.6 left
[19:34] <DaveShack> rifle vs crossbow wins, 12.0 left
[19:34] <DaveShack> rifle vs longbow wins, 11.9 left
[19:34] <DaveShack> rifle vs musket wins, full strength left
[19:35] <DaveShack> wounded rifle vs catapult wins, 7.8 left
[19:36] <DaveShack> 9/10 xp knight vs catapult wins, Rome falls, 182 gold captured
[19:38] <DaveShack> galley lands 3 rifles outside Rome's last city
[19:38] <DaveShack> galleon
[19:39] <DaveShack> galleon defeats Roman caravel, at the ice island
[19:40] <DaveShack> continue the Neapolis irrigation project
[19:41] <DaveShack> spread buddhism in Dortmund
[19:41] <DaveShack> end of turn 5, 1795AD, 575g+25gpt, steel in 1
[19:41] <DaveShack> saving and uploading
[19:44] <DaveShack> Finish steel, start railroad (6)
[19:45] <DaveShack> Munich grocer->worker
[19:46] <DaveShack> coal is hooked up
[19:47] <DaveShack> siege of Circei
[19:48] <DaveShack> Rifle vs longbow, 85%
[19:48] <DaveShack> knocked longbow down to 0.5 strength, but lost
[19:48] <DaveShack> next rifle vs pike, 99.3%
[19:49] <DaveShack> wins, next rifle wins & captures Circei, 84g
[19:49] <DaveShack> Rome has been destroyed
[19:50] <DaveShack> we were planning to change civics at this point, so stopping

Summary:

Ran at 20% culture to improve WW.
Captured the 3 Roman cities. Rome is now history.
Built 2 cities on the coast.
The Incas landed but haven't built their city yet. We've forced them into the jungle area between EA, Clam Cove, City#1, City#2.
Aztecs and Incas are at war.
National Epic built.
Railroads are due in 6 turns, but we can probably lower culture and get there faster.

The 9/10 XP plan generated 2-3 10/10 promotions. We had terrible RNG with a couple of 9/10 XP battles where we lost at 75% and 99.9% odds. A couple of 7/10 "shock troops" who were supposed to lose won, which worsened the promotion odds even more.

The XP / Promotion rule is that when you have the 17xp promotion and upgrade, your unit drops back to 10/26.

Did you change the two farms east of Coppertown next to the rice to workshops?

congratulations, the continent is ours, I hope you sent the "almost promoted" units to the front :)

:clap: :goodjob:

Good, the war has end, the WW also in the next turn.
Now we can plan the cities better.

RIP Caesar

Why did you place city #2 where it is?

Why did you place city #2 where it is?

The Inca were standing 1S of that tile at the time. It was either give them the coastal spot, or force them inland where they can be surrounded.

Did you change the two farms east of Coppertown next to the rice to workshops?

Sorry, I missed that. Going back to last term, I still think we need a better way of organizing worker instructions.

I hope you sent the "almost promoted" units to the front :)

All the healed almost promoted I could find, and the CR2's I could find. It was mixed success, with a couple of shocking losses among the almost promoted at high success odds :mad: , but a couple of new promotions earned.

All in all, fair enough all considered. I think we should consider disbanding the warriors and archers with no promotions, to save gold per turn. In fact, I want to do that, and garrison the cities with some unused promotion macemen/riflemen that could be used as city garrisons, as well as obsoleted axemen/macemen (cover and shock) that could serve as inland garrisons.

Top Bottom