GR18-AWM Genocide Variant vs 30 Civs.

Are you talking about 31 civ type game Greebley? If so the frigate harrassment will be horrendous. The danger of losing to other forms of victory conditions will come into play.

Ya, same 31 civs and 250x250 map

The fact that the AI won't harass a city or square with no units makes frigate harassment a lot less of a problem. You can adjust where they harass which can bring them close enough to shore to bombard and send home. I was practicing this in the previous game with our deadly bombard ability making it even better.

Depends on the vikings really. If they are a threat and you have to cover cities, it is harder, but still not impossible.

If the Vikings are not around you simply put a unit in a city you don't care much about and let them all bombard it to their hearts content.

Agree that the victory conditions become more important. I was thinking of trying to correct the win at 100k culture to 160k (I think it is) for a huge map

This has been a great game indeed. All the fighting in the early stages in a situation that was so tight was really exciting.

I sure would play any AW game with you guys, because this one has really been fun.

But I just don't have time right now to commit to another game of this size. I was waiting for this game to end to start another game in my own series: AWD standard pangaea. I'll probably do that next week during my vacation, if I can get through all the work that has been accumulating lately.

So sorry, but I won't be joining the next monster map attempt.

Geebley I was not thinking so much about the frigates doing lots of damage as just the sheer agony of watching scores of them going to town. I still remember the game where the just keep coming with lots of ships and that was emperor iirc.

Shuffling units from one place to the next and trying to keep them from busting up improvement, if they caught a worker on a coastal tile.

Greebley, I played a AWDG monster map (look at the link in my signature) and got mixed results. The contact trading really killed one game for me and I disabled that. It was still very tough, but huge fun.

I would be in.

I'd like to play in the next one, though I'll miss a month from mid-February to mid-March, as usual. A shot at 250 X 250 AWDG would be fine with me, or we could bump the difficulty level on the genocide variant up to emperor. Since this one has proven to be just winnable (barring some last-moment disaster) despite terrible luck for us in most respects, emperor genocide could probably be won with average luck.

Spoiler :

>Save right before we win<

My apologies to team mates and lurkers for this anticlimactic report. I played six turns very quickly on Sunday evening, right when Greebley passed along the save. I didn't expect to make the progress I did. It's only at the end of that first session that I realized that the end was very near all of a sudden. So I didn't think of taking the many pictures I would have liked to put into the report. I also wasn't looking forward to the long hours I would have to put into the mopping operation, so I moved extra fast through the operations. In the end it took me 10 turns, but it could probably be done in 7 or 8 turns too, starting from Greebley's save...

0) 2004AD
Portugal, China, America, France, Persia, Aztecs, and Mongols. Those are the 7 civs left. 46 turns left in the game, so in the end we are left with plenty of time to finish. Talk about steamrolling...

I immediately press space (I didn't read NP's settling pointer until after).

IT
The IBT flashes by :) Suwon finishes a marketplace :lol:

1) 2005AD
Northern continent: Shanghai falls. Found Chinese Landing.

Rio Janeiro falls on a small island within easy reach (armies were landed already), only the small northern island remaining where troops will land next turn. (I didn't notice Greebley's hand-off notes until after playing these initial turns, but everything was set up and marked to perfection, so it was easy enough.)

Southern continent: Raze Tlacopan. Found Furry. Modern Armor is just sick, especially against lesser units. Gain 2 leaders on a single Persian stack, and another 4 nearby (2 from consecutive attacks). Raze Sidon. Troops and settlers in place to advance next turn.

IT
Our first loss this round: a wounded MA covering some workers is killed by a cavalry. 9 Chinese cavalry die on the MA army in Chinese Landing.

2) 2006AD
Northern continent: there are two stacks to work on; gain 1 leader. Raze Xinjian. Raze Beijing.

Southern continent: raze Tlaxcala, raze Huexotla, raze Gordium, raze Sardis; gain 4 leaders.

Land on the remaining Portuguese island.

IT
3 Chinese units die on the MA army in Debeijing, and 2 Portuguese die attacking an MA next to their city.

3) 2007AD
Northern continent: raze Canton, raze Tsingtao, raze Nanking, raze Chengdu; gain 2 leaders

Southern continent: raze Tula, raze Samaria, raze Persepolis, raze Bactra, raze Antioch, raze Tamuin; gain 3 leaders

Southern continent, other side, where I landed some loose MA: raze Mandalgovi, raze Kazan.

We've reached the army limit.

IT
The Persians raze empty Debactra (overlooked that one).

4) 2008AD
Northern continent: raze Tatung, raze Hangchow, raze New Orleans, raze Chicago, raze American Satsuma, raze American Edo, raze American Nagoya, raze American Kagoschima, raze American Nara; loose a healthy veteran MA on a 2hp infantry

Southern continent: raze Pasargadae, raze Teayo, raze Almarikh, raze Dalandzadgad, raze Karakorum, raze Ulaanbaatar; gain 1 leader

I stupidly run out of settlers on the second continent, and have to found some crammed locations on the home continent.

IT
The Americans raze Debeijing, near our landing spot.

Computers are in, start on Nationalism for fun

5) 2009AD
Northern continent: raze Buffalo, raze American Osaka, raze American Tokyo, raze American Izumo, raze American Rheims, raze San Francisco, raze American Avignon, raze Paris, raze Miami

Southern continent: raze Ergili, raze Tyre, raze Tabriz, raze Dariush Kabir, raze Choybalsan; gain 2 leaders

IT
Loose some uncovered railing crews to the Americans, nothing that will slow us down though.

6) 2010AD
Northern continent: raze Orleans, raze New York; gain 2 leaders

Southern continent: raze Hamadan, raze Ghulaman, raze Darhan, raze Ta-Tu, raze Hovd, raze Erdenet, raze Tlalmanalco, raze Chalco

On the Portuguese island, finally raze Badajoz.

IT
Debaruun-urt is razed by the Persians (a brown rifle hiding in the forest... I keep overlooking something :wallbash:)

7) 2011AD
Northern continent: raze Houston, raze Boston with the Statue of Zeus, raze Tientsin, raze Tours

Raze Washington with the Temple of Artemis, raze Philadelphia, raze American Lyons, raze American Chartres, raze Detroit, raze Atlanta, raze Seattle (with a few 2-MA armies no less); gain 2 leaders

Southern continent: raze Tsetserleg, raze Istakhr, raze Baruun-Urt. Only one city remaining here.

Portuguese Island: raze Lourenço Marques

IT
Nothing much

8) 2012AD
Northern continent: raze Anyang, raze Chinan, raze Shantung, raze St. Louis, raze Cincinnati, then forests get in the way... Gain 1 leader.

Southern continent: raze Zohak

IT
Nationalism is in, but will not yield any dividends.

9) 2013AD
Raze Macao, raze Baltimore, raze Kaifeng, raze Ningpo

IT
Three Chinese units land on the second continent.

10) 2014AD
Raze Denver, raze Dallas

Raze Paoting

Found our final cities.

And the game is done

Lurker Comments Just out of curiosity....what was the final score? (514 hours:eek: 21 days 10 hours, now thats alot of work!)

Congratulations to all. :hatsoff: A truly epic game. I don't think I've ever played an SG in which it remained an open question for so long whether we'd win or lose.

The lay of the lands...

Our second city founded, trailing a bit in that department

First Dutch city razed and refounded; trailing even more in city count

"Expansion" has started, and we're already hemmed in by the Dutch

Nothing has changed for us, the other civs are taking the lead

We've realized that this isn't going to be easy; we are founding where we can

Our iron source consolidated

Not much time to party though; we are really being threatened from all sides now

We're going medieval now

Expansion to the north has stopped, too much jungle.
We have feudalism now, and are making progress to the south

Vikings and Ottomans are under attack

90 years later, their mighty empires are on the verge of collapse

Pressure rises in the north, consolidation is in order

A big push again, and we account for our first kill: the Vikings are gone

So are the Ottomans...

Then on to the Dutch and Spanish, with gradual expansion to the north again

Our borders are clear for the first time, and we really get to it, nicely timed with our Golden Age

Expansion is speeding up, and we've started thinking about our overseas campaigns

The continent is ours

The Iroquois have just enjoyed exactly one turn worth of a Golden Age of their own...

Ehm, what's changed over the last century? Nothing?

Not exactly. If you look closely in the previous picture (very closely), you see a single town founded, called Fort Foothold. This is the effect after 10 years:

Another 6 years later:

Another 7 years later:

The difference between forests and no forests equals 3 years:

Forests to deal with again in the end, so add another 7 years, but the second continent is still cleared. Also note two new towns on the southern small continent.

Then add a settler on the northern small continent, and something called MA armies, and this is the result of 10 more years:

truly a very exciting game from the start...we almost got wiped out or stalled. It was a great team effort :goodjob:

Ehm, what's changed over the last century? Nothing?

Well, nothing for you, but look at the Northwest end of the other continent in 1890 and then look at it again in 1971. There's one big change: The Byzantines pwned Greece.

I notice no signs of AI wars on your continent, but several on the other one, such as Rome fighting Greece and Egypt fighting everybody. :rolleyes:

BTW, it's impossible to see in the replay where the border of Maya and Sumeria are, and, for that matter, the Aztec-Persian border (Both of their colors are too dark to clearly see), why, oh why map generator, did you generate identical colors for different nations? TWICE???

the replay pictures are very well done. :goodjob:

@choxorn

The Byzantine-Greek war probably helped faster conquest when we came along (Greebley can tell for sure). I sure know that the Japanese-French and subsequent American-French war helped a lot on the northern subcontinent. In a way that's too bad; otherwise the ending would have been more of a thriller. Then again, maybe this game was thrilling enough as it was :)

There were several AI wars on our continent as well. We knew of the Hittite-Carthage war from witnessing combat. The replay also shows Celt-Sumeria fighting. I don't think we witnessed that first hand, but I do remember a period where the Sumerians were less involved.

markh, Are you up for another game?

I wouldn't mind trying the Genocide variant at AWE either. It might be a better next game and we could wait on the DG for later. I think AWDG will be harder on the 250x250 than a full sized map because of more contacts.

It looks like we have room for other players. Would any older player like to play again? vxma, M60A3TTS, Barbslinger - if any of you want to play you are more than welcome

I think we could also take on a newer player. Anyone with an AWE win out there want to join? It is a big game, but one does get longer to play turns (up to a week) For example, Overseer or Elephantium, either of you have interest? There are others out there as well, I am just not coming up with other names at the moment. Own of course, though I know you have been busy...

lurker's comment: Well, from the pics, I can see the Hittites fighting Carthage, but I can't see the Celts fighting Sumeria.

Top Bottom