[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

I think Avain may be going threw either burnout, or is just taking a break. I either case, Avain if you are reading this, I know it can be difficult finding the enthuism to mod or create sometimes, but remember this: You have many fans of your work, and if and when you do return, we will be here to play whatever it is that you create.

What can I say? VD created hours of enjoyment for me, and I always enjoyed updating the mod in order to play the newest and greatest version. I know I am not alone with my sentiments.

Just because a game is older, does not mean it is not enjoyable. I think it is modders here that extended the life of BTS, just as they did for Conquests and Civ3 before it. I realize a newer game is coming out this fall..but what a reason to go on one last creation spree is that eh?

Soon a new civ game will be on us, lets celebrate by letting Civ4 go out with a bang.

With all due respect to avain, and I really mean that because VD was one of the things that inspired me to mod in the first place, there are plenty of mods similar to this one. While there are plenty of fans of Varietas Delectat (myself included), we don't really know what his reasons are for not updating the mod and, truth be told, there is no reason we should. Let him come back to it whenever he can or wants, in the meantime there are plenty of other options. You could DL another mod, or just learn to mod yourself.

This is not directed at you Sword_Of_Geddon, but that same sentiment you displayed has been repeated over and over again. I have worked with a lot of modders around here, who have made a huge effort at making mods who would love for people to play them. Legends of Revolution and World of Legends come to mind off the top of my head as some of the better UXPs out there, I think you should give them a shot rather than pine for an already fantastic mod to be improved.

Alright, I'm sorry, but this is bothering me too much...

The Capo, I agree with you up to a degree, but there is a problem, we're not asking for Avain to put more awesomeness in something that is amazingly awesome, we're asking him to fix it so we can play it like normal people.
I mean, not all of us (if any) can sit around playing the game for 20 hours straight. I want to be able to to start and play on marathon, save the game, go to work, study, come back home and be able to continue from where I started.

But, due to a very annoying reason, I can't load 90% of my games. After months without playing civ I just played some of the most amazing rounds ever in VD 8.0 (the same happened with 7.5 which worked wonders, not one crash ever) then I saved, went to sleep/work, tried to load there it is: a crash.

I understand avain ought to have many more important things in his life, we all do, but by creating an amazingly awesome mod (the only mod I play) you take responsibility to fix, help or do something in order to make it fully playable.

I've seen too many white knights of righteousness lately which annoys the hell out of me, so someone must stand for the "leech" side. No offense meant to anyone. I just want to see that avain is out there, reading about this and thinking what might have gone wrong while he's working or whatever, knowing there will be a fix would let us all to be at peace.

I don't know what is happening at all but it's something around the industrial-modern era, though I can load a game in 1926 but I can't load another in 1880. It's very odd, it doesn't crash while in-game, just to load a savegame. Might have something to do with unit graphics or war, since this save at 1926 is totally at peace, (the other 4 saves after this, i am at war with others and crashes) so I don't know.

While I'm at it, I might ask for a mirror to download VD 7.5, it worked wonderfully, I'll miss portuguese and ruskies new units but, for the sake of playing I could deal with it, unless I learn how to merge them....

Anyway, thanks for reading up to this point. I'm not bashing nor defending anyone, I just want a fix so I can play an awesome game with an awesome mod and I know I'm not alone here.

I know what you are saying, I am just saying that Avain may not have time to do what you want him to do, or even an interest to do what you want him to do. So if it won't happen, it won't happen. That's all. I'm not taking a side, I'm just speaking the truth.

In the meantime, while you wait for him to fix it (if he ever does), you should try another mod. That's all I'm saying.

@monoolho: Don't worry, he just don't have time recently. Avain will be back :)
He said he plans to update Quot Capita, and I suppose he will also update Varietas Delectat at the same time (as he used to do)
I have no idea what causes your problem, but let's hope it will be fixed with that...

Here is what he posted a few days ago:

Hi guys,

if there will be a new RevDCM release with all the new shiny things (new BULL, AI, etc), I intend to update QC also!

Cheers!

avain

Legends of Revolution will not crash on you, and it has an equivalent ethnic unit set as VD. In the custom game start menu turn off Legends Units and the other Revolutions options and you're basically playing VD with the Modern Expansion add on. The BAT mod is also out there, and has had the critical bus in VD fixed in it, it's available for download in the BUG forums. You can keep trying to pester Avain if you want, or you can try out a mod that has no known bugs and pretty much offers what you are looking for now. Your call.

Well I have to thank you guys. I'll try them out.

It's because I'm kind of an old guy with these things, VD was the only mod I ever downloaded for Civ, so I didn't want to "turn my back" to it.

Still want VD8 fixed, though.

Hi guys,

@monoolho: I'd need your save games to be able to address the issue

@all: thanks for all the fans and supporters, I'm really glad you're enjoying the mod! At least I intend to update the QC mod, but if you have found some critical bugs in VD, I'll try and fix those. Also, I need to check the cool new units available and ... who knows;)

Check out BAT, Lemon Merchant fixed most of the critical bugs in the latest version of VD. I haven't seen any crash reports at least, though I suspect there are a still a couple of art bugs in it (crashes when going to the menu usually indicate a hidden missing art defines entry, and this has been reported, also Ethnic City Styles has a couple of well hidden and rare art bugs that can cause crashes). Anyway though, you should be able to just grab BAT's art stuff, and update VD so it's stable for now, shouldn't take too long.

Check out BAT, Lemon Merchant fixed most of the critical bugs in the latest version of VD. I haven't seen any crash reports at least, though I suspect there are a still a couple of art bugs in it (crashes when going to the menu usually indicate a hidden missing art defines entry, and this has been reported, also Ethnic City Styles has a couple of well hidden and rare art bugs that can cause crashes). Anyway though, you should be able to just grab BAT's art stuff, and update VD so it's stable for now, shouldn't take too long.

Thanks for the hint, I'll do that. Also good work on RevDCM.

We wait for continuation magnificent Varietas Delectat. Avan if it probably make the dandy with various requirements to iron, low and high. One more my request, does not remain at you to version Varietas Delectat 6? If yes, give the reference please for downloading:)

The first post says that the mod contains cultural citystyle 0.80.But i think it contains the 0.95 version, no? You should edit the first post.

The first post says that the mod contains cultural citystyle 0.80.But i think it contains the 0.95 version, no? You should edit the first post.

No, only the version I'm working on now contains 0.95.

Can't wait to see that :)
Glad you have found some time to do this!!

Ok, guys&girls, I did my homework and read through the comments since I left.

It seems there's been crashings for v8.0 which is most probably due to a broken LSystem. I'm currently reviewing the fix posted here against Cultural Citystyles 0.95. The problem is that I'm taking Cultural Citystyles "as is", so I can only hope it's ok, because Civ4CityLSystem.xml and CIV4PlotLSystem.xml are never touched by moi, so I know zip about those. But I'll manage;)

After much hair pulling I think I've managed to fix the issue with this mod. I had 4 separate broken saves and these two fixes got them all working again.

First Huyana's improvement art style is rather fubarred in several ways so I went ahead and changed him to the meso american style instead.

Secondly the ind_us.nif file does not exist within the city style mod, so I went ahead and replaced all references to it with ind_eu.nif.

Neither are perfect fixes but they seemed to have fixed all my crash issues. I'm guessing there will be some improvements that don't look quite right as a result though.

VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml goes in MODNAME\Assets\Modules\Varietas Delectat\XML\UnitArtStyles&CivInfos

CIV4PlotLSystem.xml goes in MODNAME\Assets\XML\Buildings

I'd be interested to hear how it works out for other people :)

Trojan Sheep, thank you so so much for this fix! I just put those two files in and it looks like the save I thought was lost will work now! I'm so psyched too - this is the first time I've got a game on Monarch level I've got a chance to win and I just finished the Statue of Liberty. Hell yeah! Thanks again.

Top Bottom