1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by avain, Aug 9, 2007.

1. avain

avain (key)

Glad to see you back!
    Don't forget the patch for QC ;)

2. Letrune

Letrune Chieftain

Hello, um, I have a stupid question about this mod. I played it, good one, but I wish to "restock" the units of my customized civilizaton... I found out how to do it and changed all that I wanted from different other civ's, I copied their data's certain parts into my own unit-log. However, my game does not want to apply them, and it always kick me when I hoose my civ.
    How may I solve this problem, please?

3. Salamandre

Salamandre Chieftain

Awesome units and graphics. I have a small question, I placed Guan Yu and Lu bu in 3D Max, but I can't find any death animation which does not destroy the bones. Is there any death animation which can work on warlords so they can be exported to other games?

4. eduhum

eduhum Aahh the gold old days...

WHAT AN AWESOME WORK!
    You should sell it to firaxis! :)

5. avain

avain (key)

Quot Capita download at: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261143

STONE AGE

The Stone Age is a broad prehistoric period during which humans widely used stone for toolmaking.
    Stone tools were made from a variety of different sorts of stone. For example, flint and chert were
    shaped (or chipped) for use as cutting tools and weapons, while basalt and sandstone were used for ground stone tools, such as quern-stones.
    Wood, bone, shell, antler (deer) and other materials were widely used, as well. During the most recent part of the period, sediments (like clay) were used to make pottery.
    A series of metal technology innovations characterize the later Chalcolithic (Copper Age), Bronze Age and Iron Age.
    (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_age)

Adding a Stone Age to Quot Capita was my intention for quite some time know. I knew I wanted to do it,
    and I had some big and great ideas about what to do. The "how"s were a bit more blurry at that time:)
    Since the inception of those first ideas to this point when I'm ready to release the Stone Age "enabled" QC
    to you I needed to cut some features I wanted to do previously (e.g. a Tribe unit that moves and creates units ala camp in Mongolian Invasion).
    I was aware of the fact that some simpification of my grand ideas would be needed, but on the other hand I did not want to do and release
    anything that I would not consider worthy. I hope what I achieved will be deamed worhty by the gamers.

Before I go into details about Stone Age for QC, I want to thank The_Triturador and LunarMongoose for their respective mods from where
    I borrowed ideas and art from. Those great mods served as a basis for my work, and I am thankful for this.

STONE AGE IN QUOT CAPITA (Prehistoric Era)

My suggestion to you guys/girls would be to just jump into the game and let you experience this new era!
    I have high hopes it recreates the feeling of the age it tries to simulate:
    you start with a small band of Homo Sapiens Sapiens struggling for survival in a hostile but at the same time exciting environment.
    When food was more about hunting than gathering, when a mythological shroud enveloped those fearsome wild beasts and tales of
    great achievements echoed the starry nights by the fire - this is the time when the seeds of great civilizations are sown.
    SO LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!

If you are the sort of player who likes to know the exact whats and hows, I can understand this need, so here's the list of
    features:
    • Stone Age tech tree - with stuff that was taken for granted before now only gradually becoming available. Sedentary lifestyle is a choke/checkpoint to Ancient Era and thus an improved growth, because there's ...

• Seriously slowed early growth - you don't have access to settlers beyond your starting band. The earliest opportunity to build settler type units is at Tribalism. The food requirements for a city to grow are also multiplied by 3. All this means you need to rely on the next feature listed, which is...
    • Improved hunting mechanics - each animal now has a food "yield" (you can check it in Sevopedia), which is a base food value your nearest city will receive upon successful hunt. You need the Hunting tech for it to work; and you need the Hunter promotions for it to shine. The Coocked food tech also adds a small boost to the food value.
    • New unit classes with some completely new art- stone spears, stone axes, slings, battering rams

• New buildings - e.g. Knowledge Inheritance, Stone Tools Workshop, etc. and the Lascaux Paints wonder (wonder art by avain).
    • New worker builds/improvements - with new, cool art!

• New animals (wild boar, bison, orangutan, etc)

• Homo neanderthalensis - the rival of Homo Sapiens. Will it be extinct again? Just be prepared, these guys have more muscle than the Governor of California!

• Mythological creatures - when you are only armed with a stick or a stone spear at best, even a wild boar can instill fear that leads way to imagination. It is also quite possible that some now extinct animals were alive back then. The perception of these by the early cultures was interwoven with myths, beliefs and legends. So a lion might become a terrifying Chymera, a wild bull a mighty Minotaur. If you manage to defeat these famous beast however, it will provide more that enough fame for you, not to mention there will be something to story about by the fire while the kids are listening in awe. Just don't let the women see trough you and actually start demanding the hunted food;) You receive culture in your nearest city. Mysticism banishes these mythological creatures back to the legends where they belong.

I must've left out sg, but this should be enough to start playing;)

Have fun!
    avain

6. justinian66

justinian66 Chieftain

I love this Mod! The different art styles has really changed the whole way i look at playing Civ now. I can't seem to to play any other mods now unless it has the different styles like this one has! So i'm wondering, how would i go about applying the different art styles in this mod to another mod? I've tried dinking around with the XML files and such but i'm not that experienced when it comes to my own mods, but i'd love to learn. I bet someone has asked you this already, but after looking through nearly 40 pages of posts i cant seem to find one or i've just missed it. More specifically, i'd love to incorporate the art of your mod into the mechanics and game stlye of the Neoteric Mod. Is there a compatiable way of doing such a thing, or does your mod only work on its own?

Thanks, and great work again!

7. DnBBitmans

DnBBitmans Chieftain

Thanks for this mod!

8. RPG

RPG Chieftain

Avain, with all the new units from snafusmith & GeneralMatt being released...will there be a VD 9.3? :please:

9. Spaceball

Spaceball Chieftain

I have two problems with this mod. I have installed the latest version.

I played a game with Germany. The turn I reach Assembly line the games crashes.

Then I played a game with France. Well it didn't crash but the attack submarine had no icons menu on bottom at all. It always showed the icons from the previous unit but they weren't usable.

10. avain

avain (key)

Quot Capita download at: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261143

Changelog

v8.1
    • corrected installer, now leaderhead packs can be installed separately
    • removed initial requirements from forest and jungle chop, so they should not show at stone age techs
    • no more creation warning for mythological creatures (they now have team limit instead of global)
    • added Slash and Burn actions to workers, and I hope the AI will prefer chop once available
    • bombard cost increased from 80 to 90, and trebuchets now upgrade to cannons only
    • microlith workshop strategy text corrected
    • lumbermill also provides Timber
    • Timber now obsoletes with Industrialism (was Mining)
    • mod version text corrected
    • added TXT_KEY_TECH_DOG_BREEDING_QUOTE
    • Lascaux paint reduced in culture (because of the 1000 years doubles culture effect)
    • Urban Tactics III now correctly requires Urban Tactics II
    • Logistics moved in tech window so now Communism is visible
    • KGB caused anarchy length reduced from golden age lenght / 2 + 1 to golden age length / 3 + 1
    • KGB warning text is now "Agents from Lubyanka are causing anarchy in foreign states!!"
    • added check for prototyping, now correctly notifies only of player's prototypes (edit after upload: probably not good still)
    • blood from fighting gorillas and orangutans reduced to normal proportions
    • increased Prehistoric Music significance for the AI (religion path included)
    • Ishtar Gate now has a chance to contact some not known civs, and increased in cost
    • Ron's maps now start at 100.000 BC, starting era is Prehistoric and techs, gameoptions corrected
    • RAZING_CULTURAL_PERCENT_THRESHOLD increased to 50 (from 25)
    • added tech strategy texts to Ancient Era techs (Sid's tips)

Since the installer for v8.0 was corrupt, you will need to download the full mod to get v8.1. Sorry about this.

11. Hyena Dandy

Hyena Dandy Chieftain

I seem to be having a little difficulty... When I put the game in, and tried to load the mod, the game froze when it got to loading the XML. Can someone help with this? If its not too much trouble. Or point me to where to ask this.

12. avain

avain (key)

@RPG: could be, we will see;)

@Spaceball: thanks for the report, I'll check those, although the Assembly Line problem might be unrelated to this mod

@Hyena Dandy: hmmm, you need to turn on logging and see what the log files say.

13. dinner9001

dinner9001 Chieftain

There is a bug when if you select an attack submarine while playing as the French. The buttons on the bottom disappear when I click on one. Like I cannot use "kill unit" or "select all units" while an attack submarine is selected. Can you please fix this?

Also, can you make it so the ottomans don't have the Ishtar gate-esque walls in the medieval age? Overall, this is a great mod. Thanks.

14. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

To fix the Ottoman thing just change their artstyle in the Civilization Infos file from Crescent to Arab or whatever. That's all you have to do.

15. GeneralMaximus

GeneralMaximus Chieftain

How do I turn logging on? My VD just keeps crashing at start up..

init.log says:
    [153.504] ERR: InitWinApp() failed, exiting
    [153.504] ERR: CIV Init FAILED, exiting

16. Elenhil

Elenhil Chieftain

Should it prove difficult to convert already completed unit graphics from VD into CiV? Are the formats themselves very different? Because otherwise there's really little need for new models in CiV, and those required for new unit types can often come from those used in civs absent from CiV.

17. fatbabbs

fatbabbs Chieftain

Hi,

I'm having trouble using Varietas Delectat 9.2 with Perfect World 2 map script.

The generated map is pure grasslands without sea. Also, when I choose Perfect World 2 in the Custom Game menu, the options of this map script have vanished, like "Start in Old World", "Break Pangeas", etc...

I tried to find on this forum if a compatibility problem between Varietas Delectat & Perfect World 2 was known, but I didn't find any topic on this subject. Have you heard of any cases similar to mine ? What can I do to fix it ?

Thank you. :)

EDIT : I thought I had the latest version of Perfect World 2 but I was wrong. Now it is fixed.

18. V.Zaitsev_tn

V.Zaitsev_tn Chieftain

This mod is great!^^
    However, I have a question. There're Vietnamese units (as well as Viet Nam Civ?) in the readme, but why I can't find them in game? Are they not included in v9.2 Cheetah edition?

19. Brownsfan02

Brownsfan02 WWII Buff

i was trying to play the BtS 1000 AD secenario with this on and it just says, "you have been defeated" on the 1st turn. did i stumble onto a bug or something?

20. MrGoldfinger

MrGoldfinger RM

it is possible, to take over the really good "CANADA MOD - Deluxe" in your Varietas Delectat, please?!

:king: