GRAPHICS: Improved Wonder pics

Il Mafioso

Chieftain
UPDATE

For downloading, our generous host has provided space on Civfanatics server.

please use this link to download:

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/wonderwinfo.zip

thanks!

I'm going to do it for myself, because I can't be bothered with always remembering exactly what each wonder does.

I figured if I'm going to do it and there's interest then I might as well get some feedback before I go and modify all the different wonder pics (the ones that pop up when you build a Wonder)

I'm attaching a jpg version (the forum doesn't take PCX) but you can download the PCX version to try it out in the game itself here:

www.dialisdn.net/user/adisciascio/civ3/oracle.zip

When you download it and unzip it, you want to place it in your:

ART/WonderSplash directory.

You'll want to back up the original ORACLE.PCX first though.

Please try it out in the game and let me know if it blends reasonably well.

If anyone knows (and can provide) a TrueType version of the actual font used in the game, that would be GREAT!!!!

In the meantime I created a PhotoShop *template sort of thing* so I can easily do this to all the different wonder pics.

Please provide feedback either way.

Alessandro

P.S. In case the info bar looks too tall, it's that size to accomodate 2 lines of text, for wonders with Long descriptions. Other than that, the following line will either say "Effects Never Expire" or as in the oracle case, state when it expires. Finally in the bottom row on the left will be the civ type that most benefit, and on the right the culture points for the wonder.

Attachments

• oracle.jpg
    oracle.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 23,433
Nice :goodjob:

I certainly think that is a good way of doing it, especially while we are all getting used to the tweaks.

Wow! It looks really great! it's really proffesional looking, once I get the game, I would definitely be grateful if you posted some kind of file with modified pics for all the wonders. I think most people would use it, it beats looking in the civilopaedia to find out what the wonder you've just built does.:goodjob:

I think I like this one better....

thoughts?

Alessandro

Attachments

• oraclealt.jpg
    oraclealt.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 23,979
...by the way, I was just testing... that's why it says "Religious, Industrious" on the second image, instead of just "Religious".

Alessandro

Please don't use the ZIP file I provided.

I accidentally uploaded the WRONG PCX file in the ZIP and it WILL cause CIV3 to crash!

I apologize.

I'm working on making all the other ones and then I'll make them available for download.

Again, VERY SORRY for the mistake!!!!

Alessandro

Originally posted by Diety
The first version was great, the second was even greater :)

Mail me if you need help with making them, ok ?

Thanks for the compliments!

Incidentally if you thought the second was greater, then I think you'll find the final one to be even better :D

Thanks for the offer to help, but fortunatelly my favorite Photoshop book made me spend so much time learning how to do Actions that now I can do repetitive stuff very easily...

as a matter of fact.... they're all done!!!!

I don't think civfanatics has a CivIII files section yet, so for now I'm going to upload them to apolyton (as soon as I figure out how to post to their Files Forum thread).

In the meantime, here is the lighthouse, in the final version.

Explanation of the interface:

Bottom right circle, blue number indicates CULTURE POINTS,
Bottom left circles indicate which civilizations could get a golden age.... the letters:

C
E
I
M
R
S

stand for

commercial
expansionist
industrious
militaristic
religious
scientific.

The final zip also includes a modified Wonder screen (the display that the picture shows up in) which includes two legends, one that reminds you what the initials stand for, and the second one that remind you what traits each civ has.

With no further ado...

the lighthouse ;)

Alessandro

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 23,474
:D

Ok,

I just posted in the CREATION forum at Apolyton, and hopefully they'll make their way to their FILES forum soon.

More hopefully, Apolyton (or someone else) will host the file itself, since my ISP is way too slow and underpowered for the task.

At any rate if you follow this link you'll see my post in the poly creation forum, there you can find a link to download the whopper of a Zip file.

Alessandro

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31955

thank you very much for making this, I got so annoyed by having to go to the civilopedia to see the effects of the wonder I just built, Thanks again :goodjob:

I am moving this thread to the Creations & Customizations forum...

by any chance, can you make railroads and mines looking better ?
havent the game yet but from screens they look buttugly

I thought the railroads looked pretty neat... :( I thought they looked ugly in the pictures, but they look MUCH better in the game.

Great job Mafioso!

One question though, why didn't you put the name of the wonder in the pic as well? Would it take to much space of the picture? (two questions).

Originally posted by Pggar
Great job Mafioso!

One question though, why didn't you put the name of the wonder in the pic as well? Would it take to much space of the picture? (two questions).

You mean Civ3 doesn't even say what the NAME of the stinkin' wonder is?!?!?!

Believe it or not, that I didn't notice!!!!

I guess when I built the wonders I knew what I was building, I just didn't remember what they did :p

I'll have to think about this... I don't want to take too much room up on the pictures... specially since all things aside most of them are pretty attractive pictures.

You'd probably want the name to be pretty large... maybe a good fade job could superimpose the name without taking away from the wonder picture.

If there's interest, someone set up a poll (you can set up polls here, right? I dunno... never tried) and we'll come up with something.

Alessandro

P.S. Right now I'm working on replacing the domestic advisor with Elvis. Check out the "NEWSFLASH: Domestic Advisor Fired!!!" thread :D

Pggar,

I just went and tested... now I know why I didn't put the name of the wonder....

CivIII does show the name of the wonder.

I guess you're one of the poor souls waiting for release in your country.

Well... don't worry, your wait is for the best, you'll get to download all the cool modpacks folks are creating and have them ready for when your copy hits your doorstep.

Make sure you check both here and on apolyton for modpacks, there are numerous available already... raised land (VERY COOL) gray mountains, blue sea, my own Wonders with Info, my soon to come "Move away Blandish, the King is back"

Alessandro

P.S. If you want to see CivIII really CHOKE, try running 5 IE windows, CivIII and PHOTOSHOP set up for maximum RAM. Boy am I glad I upgraded my PC.

Thanks for the answers. And that's true, I'm one of the poor souls waiting, not for release, but for the game itself, the games take a week to get to my city. So, even though it was released on Nov 1, i still have a couple of days waiting. BTW, I think your sistine chapel picture looks awesome.
Keep up the good work.

A fellow poster on Apolyton pointed out a bug in my package.

The overlay update (that adds the legends to the right of the wonder screen) lists America as E E, which makes no sense... it should have been E I or I E (don't remember which).

I will be releasing a patch update, just that one image, as it makes no sense for everyone who already has all the (so far apparently good) wonder pics to redownload a 2mb file for just one little 100k file.

I'll probably update the first post in the thread to reflect the need to download the additional patch.

Please, if you've found any other errors make sure you let me know!!!!

Alessandro :D

Top Bottom