TheOneHitPupper

Chieftain

Make use out of your Great Admirals!

Overview
As a way to make Great Admirals more useful throughout the game, I put this together using an old mod based on the same idea as a framework. In addition to the two base-game actions, Great Admirals can now build the Aquaculture improvement on tiles. The purpose of this improvement is to give your empire up to 3 copies of a random improved water resource (meaning that a Workboat or Offshore Platform will be built for you). The resources you are able to spawn into your territory with this mod are Whales, Fish, Pearls, Oil, and Crab.

Not compatible with the Community Patch.

I got the foundation of the coding and the idea from the original modder Kevin Kidder, who posted a similar mod here.

DOWNLOAD V3.0
File size: 3 KB

Update 3.0
- Added random quantity of resources spawning. 50% to get 1 resource, 37.5% to get 2, and 12.5% to get 3.
- Added Biology Tech requirement.
- Added AI flavor. Hopefully the AI will use it as well.
- Yields are now +1 :c5food: Food and +2 :c5gold: Gold.

Last edited:
Does the AI make use of this ability? I'm not sure how much the AI makes use of the other special abilities even.
I'm not entirely sure yet. I've yet to play a full game with this mod enabled but when I do, I'll let you know! If anyone knows the answer, feel free to chime in :thumbsup:

Great mod! i'm a big fan of the first version and this is a nice improvement, but 2 copies of each resource, could make the aquaculture slightly OP compared with other GP improvements ( sea improvements get great boosts from lighthouses and seaports ,+4 hapiness ,+ gold or more hapiness in exchange for resources).
I don't play yet a complete game, but i was testing it with IGE ,and i find you can get ¿oil? from the first era ,in fact you can't see the oil or the offshore platform,or get more yields on the tile but it says on the tile information.
AND, by the way i was playing with vanilla version, but it has dependencies on VP, i just deleted that dependance and it works fine.
Thanks for doing this mod, probably from now in advance i include this one in all of my games:goodjob:

Great mod! i'm a big fan of the first version and this is a nice improvement, but 2 copies of each resource, could make the aquaculture slightly OP compared with other GP improvements ( sea improvements get great boosts from lighthouses and seaports ,+4 hapiness ,+ gold or more hapiness in exchange for resources).
I don't play yet a complete game, but i was testing it with IGE ,and i find you can get ¿oil? from the first era ,in fact you can't see the oil or the offshore platform,or get more yields on the tile but it says on the tile information.
AND, by the way i was playing with vanilla version, but it has dependencies on VP, i just deleted that dependance and it works fine.
Thanks for doing this mod, probably from now in advance i include this one in all of my games:goodjob:
There are 2 versions: one for vanilla and one for VP. Did you download the vanilla version?

There are 2 versions: one for vanilla and one for VP. Did you download the vanilla version?
Yes, i have the vanilla version, but when i can't enable this version on the MODS screen ,i download both versions to look into the folders, and both have the same dependance with CP.

Yes, i have the vanilla version, but when i can't enable this version on the MODS screen ,i download both versions to look into the folders, and both have the same dependance with CP.
Ah yes my mistake. I sort of made the vanilla version as an afterthought and forget to leave that dependence out in the modinfo file. Fixed and reuploaded. Thanks!

I can try and make the script check for which era you're in and spawn oil based on that, but I don't think many people are going to be getting Great Admirals in-game until at least the Medieval/Industrial era. I'm working on an update at the moment to fix that and add in a couple changes regarding the quantity of resources being spawned. Should be released later today.

I don't think many people are going to be getting Great Admirals in-game
Not so rare at Renaissance
With VP, Mayan can have one very early
and many modmods allow it as well. Like EE or Civ IV Traits VP

Also, in VP, a GA can be expanded to provide 2 copies of random luxury that are not on the map. So, 2xAquaculture improvements is not competitive with this exclusive VP feature, especialy if you get fish!
+2 gold or Production (instead of 1) per Aquaculture will make it IMO

Unfortunately after some testing, it appears that resources are not being given to the player despite being spawned and having the improvements built. Not sure how to fix this, despite a few hours of troubleshooting. @Asterix_Rage pointed out that VP has an exclusive Great Admiral feature, making this mod sort of redundant. With both of these things in mind, I have decided to discontinue development and take down all download links. Any mods reading this can take down this thread if they like.

If anyone would like to try and fix the bugs, feel free to PM me and I'll send over the project. This link seems to be in the right direction for addressing the resource spawning issue, but my .lua skills aren't good enough to understand how to begin :undecide:

Last edited:
Unfortunately after some testing, it appears that resources are not being given to the player despite being spawned and having the improvements built. Not sure how to fix this, despite a few hours of troubleshooting. @Asterix_Rage pointed out that VP has an exclusive Great Admiral feature, making this mod sort of redundant. With both of these things in mind, I have decided to discontinue development and take down all download links. Any mods reading this can take down this thread if they like.

If anyone would like to try and fix the bugs, feel free to PM me and I'll send over the project. This link seems to be in the right direction for addressing the resource spawning issue, but my .lua skills aren't good enough to understand how to begin :undecide:
Oh sorry... sadly, my modding level it's very low ...but the vanilla version works well; you get the happiness and the resource (if you get oil on renaissance, when you reach biology it appears on place) and i insist, is not only an addition, but an improvement (at least if you don't play vox populi) and i think a lot of people whould like to have this on their mods collection. Anyways thanks for your efforts!!!

Oh sorry... sadly, my modding level it's very low ...but the vanilla version works well; you get the happiness and the resource (if you get oil on renaissance, when you reach biology it appears on place) and i insist, is not only an addition, but an improvement (at least if you don't play vox populi) and i think a lot of people whould like to have this on their mods collection. Anyways thanks for your efforts!!!
I was under the impression that it wasn't working due to the way Civ 5's trade system is handled. It actually seems to be an issue with the Community Patch. I've since reuploaded the vanilla link with some minor adjustments. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it wasn't working due to the way Civ 5's trade system is handled. It actually seems to be an issue with the Community Patch. I've since reuploaded the vanilla link with some minor adjustments. I appreciate the help!
Hi again, and thanks for keep working on this and for the last update!
Now I'm testing it just with this mod and IGE:
-Random spawning Works OK.
-Biology requeriment is ok IF you get the additional yields (+1 food,+2 gold) on the improvement; in the first moment, when you "plant" the Great Admiral, looking on information tile you get an Acuaculture tile, giving said yields on the tile, but seconds later, it turns into a regular (crab, for example) tile without these additional yields.
I don't know how difficult it's resolve this, but a kind of solution could be take out oil, and put the tech requeriment back to compass;i think it's better to work a high yield tile in a long term ,instead a very high yield tile in a short term (and much better in the sense of trading resources)...on the other hand the yields of oil and offshore platform are great, but getting only one oil the vaste majority of the times it's, well..:undecide: ,but it's just an opinion, with the "additional" yields working and biology requeriment it's :thumbsup: but with much oil, maybe between 3-5...

Top Bottom