Great Quotes III: Source and Context are Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cavalry is useful before, during and after the battle."

-The Corsican antichrist

"We weren't even a victory in [England's] game of global domination, we were the tutorial level."
-Luke McKinney, 8 Insulting Ways People Act 'Irish' on St. Patrick's Day, Cracked.com

"Satire doesn't stand a chance against reality anymore."
— Jules Feiffer in 1959

"Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people that you never met. And all of a sudden you take pride in accomplishments you had no part in whatsoever, and you brag about- and the Americans'll go '---- the French! ---- the French, if we hadn't had saved their --- in two World Wars, they'd be speakin' German right now!' And you go, 'Oh, was that us?' Was that me and you, Tommy, we saved the French? Jesus! I know I blacked out a little bit after that fourth shot of Jägermeister last night, but I don't remember... I know we went through the Wendy's drive-thru to get one of them 'Freschetta' sandwiches that looked so alluring on the commercial, but then we ordered it and realized we had no money, and we had to ditch out before the second window, and those ------bags in line behind us with the bass music probably got our order and we laughed about that. But I don't remember savin' the French. At all! I went through the last ten calls on my cell phone and there's nothin' incoming or outgoing to the French, lookin' for muscle on a project! I checked my pants, there's no mud stains on the knees from where we were garroting Krauts in the trenches at Verdun. I think 'we' didn't do anything but watch sports bloopers while we got hammered. I think 'we' should shut the ---- up!

-Doug Stanhope, No Refunds

"A caller to a radio program asks, 'What is the average wage of an American manual worker?' A long pause ensues. Then the answer comes: 'Over there they lynch Negroes.'"

-Soviet era joke on 'Whataboutism'

Nope, I'm sure nothing else I read today will outstrip this one for sheer insanity.
"Barbarossa is set in a fictional Second World War setting in which cute German military girls rush against Moscow to defeat the evil magician Stalin."
-description of said card game on its Kickstarter page

You clearly don't know the right (wrong?) people, then. :)

"There is no more light in a genius than in any other honest man—but he has a particular kind of lens to concentrate this light into a burning point".

Ludwig Wittgenstein

(I think it's time to open that Tractatus book again, after 1999...).

"Social Justice as a whole is pretty much intellectual calvinball"

– /u/erquin_marvort

"Do not imagine that because others shared in the guilt of this enterprise yours is therefore diminished."

-Judge William Shipman, sentencing slave trader Nathaniel Gordon to death, New York City, November 1861

Best explanation of Lovecraftian horror I've ever read (italics by author).
"Running into one of Lovecraft's Elder Gods is like finding a strange pair of underwear in your bed and realizing that your spouse is cheating on you. It's not the underwear itself that's stabbing you in the heart; it's the betrayal it represents. Lovecraft's monsters are proof to the protagonist that the universe is not benevolent. Finding strange underwear might mean that your spouse never loved you; stumbling upon a Lovecraft creature means that God never loved you."
-C. Coville, 5 Types of Movie Adaptations That Must Be Stopped, Cracked.com

"of the maxims of orthodox finance none, surely, is more antisocial than the fetish of liquidity"
JM Keynes

Best explanation of Lovecraftian horror I've ever read (italics by author).
"Running into one of Lovecraft's Elder Gods is like finding a strange pair of underwear in your bed and realizing that your spouse is cheating on you. It's not the underwear itself that's stabbing you in the heart; it's the betrayal it represents. Lovecraft's monsters are proof to the protagonist that the universe is not benevolent. Finding strange underwear might mean that your spouse never loved you; stumbling upon a Lovecraft creature means that God never loved you."
-C. Coville, 5 Types of Movie Adaptations That Must Be Stopped, Cracked.com

Don't see that as a great quote, for a number of reasons, but the following two are the main ones:

1) Linking horror lit to underwear cannot really be seen as doing any favor to either

2) His main point is entirely wrong, cause the main problem people have in HPL's tales is not really the longer run estimates or conclusions about what is going on. They usually are met with rather nasty monsters who are generally prone to cut them up to bits, or have them transform into similar abominations :)

I think you're too fixated on the superficial details of the quote.

Anonoymous exchange at the 1969 UFAF (United Front Against Fascism) Conference... between a college woman and one of our founding organizers: (Policy does not reflect current attitude or tactics I use in my daily life. FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!)
Woman: "What is your organization's policy on racism and sexism?"

Founder: "We don't have policies on racism or sexism."

Woman: "Oh-"

Founder: "We do have a policy on sexists and racists"

Woman: "And what's that?"

Founder: "We shoot them."

More main characters should be like JC. Upon learning that his adoption was augmented, he still knows that the most important thing is to topple the global conspiracy, not cry about his (lack of) biological parents.
"I'm engineered. So what? My brother and I suspected as much while we were growing up."
-JC Denton, Deus Ex

The obstinate man does not hold opinions; they hold him.

no source no context

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom