Greecemod: Not a Byzwank, Promise (EU4 althist mod creation/discussion thread)

I was looking at screwing around with some colonial stuff today. At the bare minimum, I wanted to add new names for colonial countries in base EUIV, and possibly alter/add colonial regions, and at further levels, look at altering the actual colonization mechanics/event chains/whatever.

My main interest is in the base game, but I would love to receive help from those working here and help with some alt-hist names for this mod, as well.

For those curious, so far, I've just gone through and figured out what the requirements for each name are in-game:
Spoiler Really long list of names :
ALASKA
-If Russian culture, "Alyeska"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, "Pacifico Norte"
-Alaska
-Aleutia
-New COUNTRY

CANADA
-If France or French culture, "CULTURE Canada"
-If France or French culture, "Acadia"
-If France and allied, overlord, or owner of Scotland, "Nouvelle Écosse"
-If Brunswick, "New Brunswick"
-If United Kingdom or England, "Newfoundland"
-If United Kingdom or England, "CULTURE Quebec"
-If United Kingdom or England, "Laurentia"
-If United Kingdom or England, "Borealia"
-If United Kingdom or England and owner of Scotland, "Nova Scotia"
-If Portugal, "Lavrador"
-If Scotland, "Nova Scotia"
-If Scotland, "Nouvelle Écosse"
-If Iroquois, "Kanata"
-If Scandinavian culture group, "Vinland"
-If Holland, Netherlands, or Dutch cultue, "Nova Hollandia"
-CULTURE Canada
-New COUNTRY
-CULTURE Quebec
-Newfoundland
-Labrador
-Nova Scotia
-Acadia
-Laurentia
-Borealia
-If owns Manitoba, "Manitoba"
-Hudson Bay
-Ruperts Land

EASTERN AMERICA
-If United Kingdom or England, "Thirteen Colonies"
-If France or French and owns Vlaanderen, "Nouvelle Flandre"
-If France of French, "Floride"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, "Florida"
-New COUNTRY
-Florida
-If owns Massachusets, "Massachusets"
-If owns Connecticut, "Connecticut"
-If owns Manhattan, "Manhattan"
-If owns Delaware, "Delaware"
-If owns Conoy, "Conoy"
-If owns Alabama, "Alabama"
-Virginia

LOUISIANA
-If France or French culture, "CULTURE Louisiana"
-If France or French culture, "Manitounie"
-If France of French culture and owns Illinois, Kaskaskia, or Cahokia, "Illinois"
-CULTURE Louisiana
-New COUNTRY
-Mississippi
-Manitounie
-If owns Ohio, "Ohio"
-If owns Illinois, Kaskasia, or Cahokia, "Illinois"
-If owns Tamaroa or Missouri, "Missouri"
-If owns Quapaw, "Arkansas"
-If owns Michigan or Potawatomi, "Michigan"
-If owns Sauk, Fox, or Winnebago, "Wisconsin"
-If owns Iowa, "Iowa"
-If owns Minnesota, "Minnesota"
-If owns Kansas, "Kansas"
-If owns Omaha or Pawnee, "Nebraska"
-If owns Yankton or Dakota, "Dakota"

CALIFORNIA
-If United Kingdom or England, "Columbia"
-If United Kingdom or England, "New Albion"
-California
-Oregon
-CULTURE Columbia
-New COUNTRY
-Cascadia

MEXICO
-If Spain, "New Spain"
-If Castile, "New Castile"
-CULTURE Mexico
-New COUNTRY
-Yucatan
-Guatemala
-Texas
-If owns Belize, "Belize"
-If owns Nicaragua, "Nicaragua"
-If owns Panama, "Panama" -> I think Panama has been moved to Colombia's region?
-If owns Honduras, "Honduras"

THE CARIBBEAN
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, and owns Les Cayes, Barahonas, or Tortuga, "Hispaniola"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, and owns Havana, Moron, or Guantanamo, "Isla Juana"
-If France or French culture, "Antilles"
-If owns Havana, Moron, or Guantanamo, "Cuba"
-If Portugal, "Caraibas"
-If Portugal, "Antilhas"
-CULTURE West Indies
-West Indies
-The Caribbean
-New COUNTRY
-Cuba

COLOMBIA
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon and owns Granada, "New Granada"
-CULTURE Colombia
-New COUNTRY

PERU
-CULTURE Peru
-New COUNTRY
-If owns Cajamarca, "Cajamarca"
-If owns Lima, "Lima"
-If owns Cuzco, "Cuzco"

LA PLATA
-If British culture group, "Argentine"
-If Portugal, "Rio de Prata"
-if Portugal, "Transplatina"
-CULTURE La Plata
-New COUNTRY
-CULTURE Paraguay
-CULTURE Chile
-Argentina
-If owns Uruguay, "Uruguay"

BRAZIL
-If Portugal, "CULTURE Brazil"
-If Portugal and Christian, "Terra de Vera Cruz"
-If Morocco, Granada, or Algiers and Muslim, "Granada Al-Jadida"
-CULTURE Brazil
-New COUNTRY
-If owns Rio Grande, "Rio Grande"
-If owns Bahia, "Bahia"

GUYANA
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, "Las Guayanas"
-If France of French culture, "Guyane"
-If Holland, Netherlands, or Dutch culture, "Guiana"
-If Holland, Netherlands, or Dutch culture, "Suriname"
-CULTURE Guyana
-New COUNTRY
-Guyana
-Suriname

AUSTRALIA
-If United Kingdom or England, "Australia"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon, "Tierra Austral"
-If France or French culture, "Terre Australe"
-If Holland, Netherlands, or Dutch culture, "New Holland"
-CULTURE Australia
-New COUNTRY
-Terra Australis

Right, so was talking to SK about that, and I'll probably be doing this. In terms of things I would appreciate:

1) Anybody who would be interested in helping contribute names, a list of languages you speak
2) In terms of determining priority regions, people should post their most-played/interested countries from both vanilla and the mod (obviously mod is more interest and Vanilla is more played)
3) Also in terms of determining priorities, anybody who knows the answer should tell me what countries in the mod are even able to colonize as AIs

Thank you for that. Yeah, this mod will definitely need new colonial names (especially for non-european countries)

Right, so was talking to SK about that, and I'll probably be doing this. In terms of things I would appreciate:

1) Anybody who would be interested in helping contribute names, a list of languages you speak
2) In terms of determining priority regions, people should post their most-played/interested countries from both vanilla and the mod (obviously mod is more interest and Vanilla is more played)
3) Also in terms of determining priorities, anybody who knows the answer should tell me what countries in the mod are even able to colonize as AIs

Reposting what I said in chat:

1. English/Kannada, but I can provide Sanskrit names as well, which are honestly far more useful.
2. If I weren't the creator of this mod? My first game would either be Ecbatana, Metopo, or Mauretania. I actually haven't played vanilla that much, but I liked Brittany and Aragon.
3. My thoughts were the Celtic+Muslim western euro and north african countries, the West African coastal states, and East Asians.

I would also suggest resposting your post in Argie because I don't know how many people follow this thread.

Anyway, Sanskrit colonial names, which could be used for all the Hindus at least. You could corrupt some of these to make these look nicer honestly.
-Alaska: Naktam (lit. "by night" - obvious)
-Canada: Vanaspat (lit. "forest" - pretty accurate for the region?)
-Eastern America: Bhratsumna (lit. "lofty-favored" - pretty generic, but then again so is "Eastern America")
-Louisiana: Sargatakta (lit. "outpouring" - in reference to the river)
-California: Padmaraj (lit. "realm of Padma (Lakshmi)" - it's California. it's wealthy and prosperous :p alternatively, could also translate to "realm of lotus dwellers")
-Caribbean: Samudra (lit. "sea" - i'm so creative I know)
-Mexico: Caturbrsti (lit. "four-cornered" - I guess our Indian explorers saw Mesoamerican pyramids)
-Colombia: Rudraraj (lit. "realm of Rudra (vedic storm god)" - seemed appropriate)
-Peru: Ratnadesa (lit. "land of treasure" - from the Inca Empire presumably)
-La Plata: Balajiraj (lit. "realm of Balaji (Vishnu)" - I couldn't come up with anything else)
-Brazil: Supani (lit. "lovely-handed" - Brazil was honestly the first thing that popped into my mind from this, I have no idea why, but eh, it works)
-Guyana: Nivesana (lit. "place of rest" - I guess if you're coming from the east this is typically the first place you hit)
-Australia: Arundesa (lit. "red land" - obvious)
I'll keep updating this. I'm thinking I can get another set for Tamil after this but I'm not sure if that'll be necessary.

i speak american

Spoiler :
And occasionally Mandarin (Beijing and Northeastern dialects), Japanese (Tōkyō-ben but have some minor knowledge of Kansai-ben and Satsugū-ben), and spots of French

Musings related to OTL, not all held to the same standard:
Spoiler :
ALTERNATE OTL NAMES:

Honduras:
-Higueras (western part, with Honduras as eastern)
-Guaymuras/Guaimura (Near Trujillo, in the NE)

Brazil:
-Ilha de Vera Cruz
-Terra de Santa Cruz
-Terra di Papaga (Italian)
-America (original region to which name was applied)
-Terra de Santa Croxe (Genoese)
-Terra Papagalli (Latin?)

Falklands:
-Islas Malvinas
-Îles Malouines

Argentina:
-La Plata
-Terra Argentea (Portuguese)

Bolivia:
-Upper Peru

Chile:
-Also spelled Chili early on; may derive from Tili (name), chiri (snow), or tchili (cold)

Colombia:
-New Granada
-Cundinamarca

Ecuador:
-Quito

Peru:
-Derives from Birú, a ruler in southern Panama - name was applied to all regions south

Uruguay:
-Cisplatina
-Banda Oriental

Venezuela:
-Veneziola
-Klein-Venedig
-(All above names refer to Lake Maracaibo)

New Zealand:
-Aotearoa (originally North Island)

Canada:
-Anglia
-Albionoria
-Cabotia
-Colonia
-Hochelaga (Montreal)
-Mesopelagia
-Norland
-Superior
-Tupona
-Transatlantica
-Ursalia
-Vesperia
-Victoria(land)

Mexico:
-México Tenustitlan (Tenochtitlan)
-Anáhuac (Nahuatl)

Philippines:
-Ma-i (Chinese, could be Mindoro or Manila)
-Liu-sung (Chinese)/Luzon (Spanish)
-San Lázaro
-Ophir (Derived from Bible)

Hispaniola:
-Ayiti

Guatemala:
-Uhatzmalha

Trinidad:
-Iere

Jamaica:
-Santiago (Spanish)

Newfoundland:
-Avalon

Maine:
-Lygonia (name)

Guyanas:
-Essequibo
-Berbice
-Pomeroon
-Cayenne
-Demerara

And taking the better amongst those and making proposals on conditions. Some of these I would want to change around; I think those based off of culture/religion/province requirements generally make more sense; country ones should probably be reserved for only those that refer to a country's history IMO; anyways, here's the proposal (predominantly aimed at vanilla):

Spoiler :
MEXICO:
-If owns 840 (Honduras), "Guaymuras"
-If owns 840, 2636 (Chacujal), 2637 (Chortli), or 843 (Belize) "Honduras"
-If owns 2636 or 2637, "Higueras"
-If owns 852 (Mexico), "Anahuac"
-If owns 842 (Peten), 2636 (Iximche), 841 (Guatemala), or 2653 AND 852, "Uhatzmalha"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon and owns 852, "Tenustitlan"
-If owns 852, "Tenochtitlan"

CARIBBEAN:
-If owns Trinidad (502), "Iere"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon and owns Jamaica (487), "Santiago"
-If owns Les Cayes, Tortuga, or Barahonas (488-490) or 2658-2659 (Magua or Maguana), "Ayiti"

BRAZIL:
-If Iberian (not Basque) culture group and Christian, "Santa Cruz"
-If European, "America"
-If Lombad culture, "Terra di Papaga"
-If European, "Papagallia"
-If Genoa and Christian, "Santa Croxe"

LA PLATA:
-If France or French culture group and Brittany is owned or vassal and own the Falklands (1095), "Malouines"
-If Portugal, "Argentea"

COLOMBIA:
-If owns 825 (Bogota), "Cundinamarca"
-If owns Quito (820), "Quito"
-If Spain, Castille, or Aragon and owns 830 (Maracaibo) or 2807 (Altagracia), "Venezuela"
-If Lombard culture and owns 830 or 2807, "Veneziola"
-If Germanic culture group and owns 830 or 2807, "Klein-Venedig"

CANADA:
-If England or United Kingdom, "Anglia"
-If British culture group, "Albionoria"
-If English culture, "Cabotia"
-If owns 2585 (Kichesipi), "Hochelaga"
-If British or Scandinavian culture groups, "Norland"
-If English culture, "Tupona"
-If European, "Ursalia"
-If European, "Vesperia"
-If British or Celtic culture groups, "Avalon"

EASTERN AMERICA:
-If England, "Lygonia"

GUYANAS:
-If owns 743 (Essequibo), "Essequibo"
-If owns 744 (Demerara), "Demerara"
-If owns 746 (Cayenne) and France or French culture group, "Cayenne"
-If owns 743, "Pomeroon"
-If owns 743 or 744, "Berbice:

AUSTRALIA
-If owns 1106-1108 (Whangarei, Taranaki, or Tauranga), 2737 (Ahuriri), or 2739 (Kirikiriroa), "Aotorea"

I can help the mod by providing names for Greek colonies if anyone is interested.

I speak German, Dutch, English, and a tad of Old Norse
So I could in theory come up with a few colony names for the Norse powers!
-Alaska: Frostkvikindi (lit. "Frost Creature")
-Canada: Likrheima or Vinland (the latter is obv., the former means "like home")
-Eastern America: Sarfarasgardr (lit. "Painful Travel City")
-Louisiana: Allmikillvatn (lit. "greatest river" or "greatest body of water"), could also be Allmikilla
-California: Nyrgautaland ("New Gotland")
-Caribbean: Margreyjar (lit. "many island country")
-Mexico: Gullheim (literally "Gold World", because Mexico has lots of gold provinces and yay)
-Colombia: Thorsheim (lit. Thor's home, because thunder etc.)
-Peru: Aeztrfell (lit. "Highest Hill")
-La Plata: Silfrgardr (literally "Silver City")
-Brazil: Stokkrheim (lit. "Log Home", because wood and stuff)
-Guyana: Heimskrsthing (lit. "Fool's Assembly" or "Foolish Assembly", because seriously, Guyana's a tiny colonial region)
-Australia: Raudvegr (literally "Redway"), alt. Thurrgardr (literally "Dry Home")

Right. Version 0.1 of colonymod is coded, about to test. Off the top of my head, it requires the following to not be altered:

1) There need to be tags for SCO, ARA, CAS, SPA, FRA, ENG, GBR, BRI, BRU, GEN, NED, HOL, FRI, and POR.
2) The Iberian, French, Celtic, Germanic, British, and Scandinavian culture groups need to exist
3) The Christian and Muslim religious groups need to exist
4) English, Dutch and Portuguese cultures need to exist. I think there are some extras, but this is all I can remember off the top of my head
5) Several province IDs and localisations are used; the only localisations referred to are in the Americas, so those changes are fine

Note that these don't need to be *used* for compatibility, they just need to exist in the files (although most of the new CNs won't appear if they are missing, and won't make sense if they are changed).

So far the only one of the vanilla CNs I changed (as opposed to just adding more) was Honduras, it should be easier for it to appear now.

Right. I'm not sure if this is working or not; I would appreciate anyone who can try it and let me know if it's working for them or if they can see any obvious problems.

Genoa colonizing Brazil and Scotland or any German country colonizing Colombia, or seeing anything unusual crop up in Guyana, should all answer my questions.

Other than that, now looking at suggestions for names (preferably ones that would make sense IOTL) for varying areas. Probably going to add Darien as a generic option for Colombia and Albany as a Scotland option for Eastern America.

General guidelines for suggestions:
1) Please don't corrupt the form you provide me based upon what you think "might have changed" or "sounds better." I want the original form.
2) Please include the etymology of the name; this includes language and region/culture of origin, as well as the meaning and significance of the name
2a) Toponyms and religiously-derived names are probably the most likely candidates

Attachments

• upload folder.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 90
Spoiler :

East India is 3/4 done. Need to add revolters and Tibet.

Edit: I am also an idiot who forgot to commit today's stuff. Good job me. I'll just worry about merging files tomorrow.

No idea if the new version is working or not, but at least I think I know what was wrong with it

EDIT: 95% sure it is not working

Temporary Plan for Russia:
-47: Khazars (Jewish)
-72: ??? (Buddhist)
-73: Roxolani (Buddhist)
-74: Galinidia (Romuva)
-75: ??? (Norse ruler - Suomenusko majority)
-76: Komi? (Suomenusko)
-77: ???
-78: Moksha (Buddhist)
-79: ??? (Possibly Slavic)
-80: ??? (Possibly Slavic)

For the record I'd kind of like the old world to be entirely done first, since the new world is a lesser priority and I don't like the idea I had for it anymore.

TE: 72 could be the Pechenegs or Cumans if you're fine with having Turkics there. Ditto for 77.

because SK was running a test run, I decided to do so too.
1) France really needs to be solved. Even if you gave France 1 province on the edge of the world it wouldn't be stopped.
2) Dulkadir really needs to go

Spoiler :

So let's go through these countries because some of the names are absolutely unfindable due to corruptions.

Let's start from the south - which. This was once all the domain of the Chola Empire, but with the collapse of that state in the last century, power in the region has decentralized again. These lands are entirely dominated by Mithras worshippers. First there is Kerala, effectively a confederation of coastal merchant cities. They're a merchant republic (one of two in India in 1444). Next to it is the Pandya state, the Tamil kingdom which considers itself the successor to the Cholas. Besides that is Karnataka, which has set itself as a northern counterweight to the Pandyas. However, Karnataka lacks access to the same urban basetax that its southern neighbors do, and is really a paper tiger despite its deceptively large size.

The Chola state in fact still exists, as a Hindu kingdom, but its capital is located across the sea in Aceh to irritate Reus, and its holdings have been reduced to a few islands and part of Sri Lanka. However, the hope of retaking Tamil Nadu is not yet lost.

Moving north, we leave Mithraic lands for proper Hindu realms. First, in Andhra Pradesh, are the two kingdoms of the Reddy and Yadava dynasties. While they look weak and divided, they are quite militarily strong, and start the game allied. Beside them are the Chauhan, Solanki, and Parihar warrior clan-states. These are ruled by clans (which would be called "Rajputs" in our timeline, but different migrations mean that that concept does not exist). And along the coast is Konkan, which is the most powerful state in the region, and also extremely wealthy. Most of Central India is dominated by Gondwana, one king presiding over Gondi and Kolami tribes that have united to protect the region from outsiders.

Moving onto East India. One of the more interesting things in this region is the Indo-Seric Court religion - a syncretism of Western Hellenic and Eastern Dharmic religious and philosophical concepts into one set of beliefs, that has preservered in Kalinga and Vanga. On the other hand, Magadha is not only quite Buddhist, but also India's most powerful state, and if anyone would be the one to establish India's next great power, it would be them. (As an aside, Magadha may or may not be familiar to you as the base of the historical Maurya Empire of Ashoka and Chandragupta) Next to it is Tibet which I don't know what's happening with but controls this bit of Bengal and Assam. And beyond that is Kamarupa, a quaint mountain tribal kingdom that has cores on a few Tibetan provinces.

West India is the realm of the Alans, who were granted these kshatrapas by an Indo-Greek. The Indo-Alans, themselves quite curiously Hellenized and Persianized over the centuries, have since split into two major ethnic groups - the Aursi in the north and the Yunas in the south. As such, Aursisthan and Yunasthan are the two major countries here, squabbling mainly with each other for supremacy, but like certain other states, they are quite paper tigers - and their. Caught in the middle are a number of other Alan realms. One is Dvaraka, also a merchant republic, starting the game guaranteed by Aursisthan to prevent expansion at the hands of Dalmasca, which is turn allied with Nabradia. Dalmasca is in fact quite stronger than it appears, due to its control of the major trade ports - I have seen it in one test game blob to control most of India's west coast as far south as Kerala. Finally, there is Svetadesa, a little desert realm.

North India is pretty much the absolute epitome of EU4 in-game instability. These are the Turkic states - the Turks migrated to India in the 11th century, and established a Karluk Empire that became the subcontinent's dominant power for some time. But that Empire is no more. It has been reduced to a small rump Karluk state around its capital of Lal Kot (Delhi). To its east is the Injanjid dynasty, a feudatory that holds the rump empire's eastern frontier against in exchange for greater autonomy (it starts off as a Karluk vassal). To its south are a number of breakway feudatories that have established independent holdings. Two of them, the Chobanid and Khilijid dynasties, are Buddhist. Lastly, there is the Harlutid dynasty (HLT on map because I'd messed up the localisation when I took this screen), which is quite curious - its members have converted to the Judaism that is prevalent in its local territory. These Turks are all "Punjabi" culture - migrations mean that Indo-Turks settled in the Punjab.

That wouldn't be an issue, if it weren't for Gandhara. In 1433, a rather bored Bactrian prince crossed the Khyber Pass with a band of similarly bored adventurers and captured the city of Taxila. Since then, this same prince has spread his Christian rule throughout the Punjab, with the blessing of the Abba, removing the breakway Turkic states in the region. Gandhara is the one hope of Christianizing India. However, it is remarkably unstable. Less than a third of its provinces are Christian, and only one is its primary culture (Bactrian).

There are revolters scattered around the subcontinent, more being added as I come up with ideas. Also, as an added bonus, (almost) all of India has gotten a province name makeover to names evocative of (depending where you are) the great Hindu epics, Classical Age India, the Indo-Greeks, or something else entirely.

Top Bottom