Groups for Euro 08

^^^ I am not saying it's ideal, just making the most of a bad situation! :)

Just don't go to Croatia on a holiday during the tournament. I made the mistake of visiting Ireland during the 2002 World Cup, and the Irish did not have a problem with reminding me who it was who kicked us (i.e. The Netherlands) out of the World Cup (or rather, who prevented us from participating in it).

Yeah, i have already crossed Russia and Croatia off my list for places to visit for the summer. :lol:

yeah, looking forward, especially France again...(..)
The good part of being in group C is that when Italy doesn't make it to the next round they have no right to bring out the ridiculous "we were robbed" - mantra's. The teams not advancing in group C are the weaker ones.

Just don't go to Croatia on a holiday during the tournament. I made the mistake of visiting Ireland during the 2002 World Cup, and the Irish did not have a problem with reminding me who it was who kicked us (i.e. The Netherlands) out of the World Cup (or rather, who prevented us from participating in it).

I was in Italy during the finals of the World Cup 2006. I know what you mean!! :( I thought the bus driver was going to kill us.

Erm, Mirc... correct me if I'm wrong, but Italy and Romania didn't face in the tournament or qualification. :confused:

And certainly were not in the finals. Since there was no Romania in the World Cup 2006 at all. I was talking about a slightly different situation. :)

I was with lots of friends from lots of countries (including France), and most of them were pretty interested in football.

We left the concert earlier because we didn't want to catch the final, but we didn't make it. The finals began and we were stuck in the middle of the traffic. The bus driver had the volume of the radio at maximum. And since it took us a really long time... I really can't explain how the driver was acting at the end of the match, I have to show you with my hands and face ;) We really were scared.

And you're sure to make it, I assume?
I hope we'll make it. I am not very optimistic though - the Netherlands have played poorly in recent years. I wouldn't even be very surprised if the Netherlands would be 4th in the group... :(

@Mirc: heh, I witnessed two WC victories, and of course the finalists always took lots of jeering in the end. In 1982 I was 7, and me and my parents were dining with a couple. The waiter actually said to the guy (a blond, blue-eyed Frenchman of Italian descent) that he would not serve him that night, because... Italy had won. Yep, he thought he was German :lol: It ended in a laugh for everyone.
I'm sorry you were scared; I can't understand for what would that driver be angry. Wouldn't congratulating (however insincerely) work?

@Rik: group C is called the group of death for a reason. Each team could well come out on top, any outcome would be logically plausible. The Oranges historically flourish at the Euro, and while this time Van Basten is on the wrong side of the pitch it's still a quality side. And France and Italy will be obsessed with each other (dang dang dang Klinsmann... how could you?).

The good part of being in group C is that when Italy doesn't make it to the next round they have no right to bring out the ridiculous "we were robbed" - mantra's. The teams not advancing in group C are the weaker ones.

Shall we start again? :rolleyes:

Who moderates the trolling moderator?

Moderator Action: Its hardly (serious) trolling. And he's posting as a poster, not as a moderator.

@Mirc: heh, I witnessed two WC victories, and of course the finalists always took lots of jeering in the end. In 1982 I was 7, and me and my parents were dining with a couple. The waiter actually said to the guy (a blond, blue-eyed Frenchman of Italian descent) that he would not serve him that night, because... Italy had won. Yep, he thought he was German :lol: It ended in a laugh for everyone.
I'm sorry you were scared; I can't understand for what would that driver be angry. Wouldn't congratulating (however insincerely) work?

He wasn't angry at all, he looked like he was going to kill someone in his euphoria. He was not looking at the road, he was strongly cringing and looking straight ahead, while his head was pointed somewhere near the speed indicator (so he wasn't seeing the road at all). And he was whispering "champions of the world, champions of the world" continuously, the whole time! :faint:

:D

Hey, I can even guess the tone he used. Along with Tardelli's jubilation, a seminal moment for entire generations here, rerun time and time again for some 25 years.
And you were on a bus. You would have steamrolled anyone on your path :splat:

Hey, I can even guess the tone he used. Along with Tardelli's jubilation, a seminal moment for entire generations here, rerun time and time again for some 25 years.
And you were on a bus. You would have steamrolled anyone on your path :splat:

Since 1998 we have this moment. Not quite world champion, but what a beauty of a goal to put us in the semi-finals. And the commentary... the guy's going crazy, but just before the goal he actually says that he has the feeling that we'll make it to the semi-final. Classic!

Hey, that goal is a gem, and the occasion was right to make it immortal.
The commentator is wild... is he still on TV? The closest we had was a time when Altafini comented for a commercial network and regularly showed us how a South American style "goooooooooooooooooooooooooool" is announced.

He is still around, usually presenting though, not commentating.

The really nice part is that, after Van der Sar throws the ball to Frank de Boer, he says:

"We are going to get to the semi-finals. I have a feeling we are going to the semi-finals. Frank de Boer in posession."

Then the pass comes.. Bergkamp controls it, passes the defender and scores.

Honestly ... and I've been wrong about this kind of thing before ... I'm rather doubtful that the Netherlands are up there with the best these days. Their players just aren't as good compared with other top European countries as they were only a few years ago. Romania are a lower ranking top team thought of as a middle ranking team, so should benefit from being underestimated. But they do indeed have it tough. On Holland's good side, they have experience of Romania now (i.e. won't underestimate them) and themselves will benefit from being underdogs.

Spain have a lot of good players coming through atm, many of whom benefit from playing abroad. I think they may have more of a chance than their qualifying campaign may suggest. Austria are unlikely to be as bad as they look atm, but I don't think they have any chance whatsoever of winning the tournament. Switzerland have a chance, but I don't see them doing it. The other home team, Germany :p, have despite what Hitro says gotten it easy, so will only need to perform in the later stages. Poland are a strong and competent team, but none of their players stand out as really world class.

Anyways, after Greece last time, anything's possible. So I'm unwilling to predict a winner yet.

Top Bottom