Guess the Map 12: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate Mercator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number of doctors?
No people are not involved

Endangered Species
Tropical and warm!

Doesn't the map mean some central american countries have more of x than all of Europe?
I'd expect it to be some regional resource, like fish or similar, yes :)
Maybe some rare earth or lithium etc?
no not related economic things

Maize production ?
No

So Germany and Britain have nearly nothing, while Switzerland has comparably a lot, and Spain and Italy being well visible...mmhh...
Mauritius Madagascar and Sri Lanka monstrously big...

I'm lost. I was thinking diving or water sports related, but no sense in Switzerland there lol.
The barren cold of the artic

I think rice production would be closer than maize.
No

Vanilla? (Madagascar)
No not rare orchids either

Bubonic plague?
No not medical

is it MURDERS

?
well, not people murders

This one could be very easy for some people.
ferocitus_global_x_distribution1.png

So what's the story on alberta then? Just curious.
It took a long time for rats to migrate all the way west to Alberta, and then the province itself instituted a kill-on-sight ban that's still enforced today. They're classified as pests and Alberta has strong anti-pest regulation.

Also, open floor.

Last edited:
Ferocitus leaving the legend probably helped out too much.

Ok, then let me try with a less classic one that will hopefully lead to a bit more discussion:

I guess I would need all four categories to be named for a solve :D

Attachments

• 20210126_014829.jpg
    20210126_014829.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 311
Grey is no data or not relevant? Norway and Andora being grey is what makes me think.

Grey is no data, I was trying to find out why but haven't as of now...

Oh, and the blue box at the bottom is a *-type annotation to the title, if that helps.

Last edited:
Just on the basis that the greek islands are one extreme, anything to do with building regulations?

Just on the basis that the greek islands are one extreme, anything to do with building regulations?

At least in some of the islands shown, this would be a good bet (say Corfu or Rhodes maybe). But I doubt the mainland has the next stricter level of regulations - it is usually a ffa.

Maybe it is related to transport means?

No to both.

no, nothing about nuts. :king:

(just to be clear, NUTS is a statistical unit employed by eurostat, there are three level based on population size of the region, this one is the middle one - I try to get away from country data if possible)

At least in some of the islands shown, this would be a good bet (say Corfu or Rhodes maybe). But I doubt the mainland has the next stricter level of regulations - it is usually a ffa.

Maybe it is related to transport means?

No, nothing about transport.

Last edited:
No to both.
Does this mean the the greek islands are NOT at one extreme? They are the only places in dark blue that I can see. Is the scale not ordinal, or ordered? Or am I missing some dark blue?

Does this mean the the greek islands are NOT at one extreme? They are the only places in dark blue that I can see. Is the scale not ordinal, or ordered? Or am I missing some dark blue?

Yes. ;)

(yes, it's not an ordinal scale and there's no order, though of course some may think one category better than the other, but that is all purely subjective. And yes, the Greek islands are the only "purple" ones, but that makes intuitive sense when you know the data).

Is it geology? Perhaps majority origin of surface strata by NUTS region? There is a certain amount of concordance between blue on your map and pink on this.
Spoiler Geological map of western europe :

Grey is no data, I was trying to find out why but haven't as of now...

Oh, and the blue box at the bottom is a *-type annotation to the title, if that helps.
It seems to be EU vs non-EU, with the caveat that Andorra should be in the EU, if a special case, and Switzerland shouldn't, so...

As for the map, is it related to drinks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom