Guess the Map 12: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate Mercator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it geology? Perhaps majority origin of surface strata by NUTS region? There is a certain amount of concordance between blue on your map and pink on this.
Spoiler Geological map of western europe :

Hmm, interesting. No, that isn't it. Though I can see how geology could have an interesting roundaway influence on the data presented here. I might afterwards look up a twitter thread I remember which made a very interesting similar connection (though on a different topic, so that doesn't help you here).

It seems to be EU vs non-EU, with the caveat that Andorra should be in the EU, if a special case, and Switzerland shouldn't, so...

The data is from eurostat - don't know why I censored that on second thought - so no. They have cooperations with a whole range of countries or rather their statistical bureaus. See also Turkey which is included. What I don't know is why Norway has no data here. Andorra would probably be light blue (just a guess from my side).

Does anybody know if the UK signed a cooperation with Eurostat or will we lose the UK in future such maps?

As for the map, is it related to drinks ?

no, sorry.

Primary agricultural product. Purple = olives. Red = wheat ([EDIT] all grains?). Blue = ruminant products. Yellow = pig products.

Last edited:
Are politics involved?

Primary agricultural product. Purple = olives. Red = wheat ([EDIT] all grains?). Blue = ruminant products. Yellow = pig products.
Ireland wouldn't be a big pig producing country.
Cattle/dairy in the south, more mixed elsewhere, but probably more sheep.

I saw the first lambs last week, haven't seen cattle out yet at all.

No, but close.

Are politics involved?

No

Ireland wouldn't be a big pig producing country.
Cattle/dairy in the south, more mixed elsewhere, but probably more sheep.

I saw the first lambs last week, haven't seen cattle out yet at all.

I am going to comment on that one later.

This is divided by the EU administrative map NUTS 2? And Cyprus is all one administrative unit?

Yes, the range for NUTS 2 goes from 800k to 3 million inhabitants, Cyprus has less than that.

To be fair though, I got the map from a twitter referral to reddit. Didn't check the data nor the source...

Yes, the range for NUTS 2 goes from 800k to 3 million inhabitants, Cyprus has less than that.

To be fair though, I got the map from a twitter referral to reddit. Didn't check the data nor the source...
I guess my point is more that Andora (population 77,142) is its own administrative region, but North and South Cyprus are not. I suspect it may be more to do with political recognition.

My current interest is that Berlin is blue surrounded by red, and Bucharest is red surrounded by blue.

Can you post the map with the key?

That would be the solution? Shall I already solve? Or what do you mean by key?

Andorra is a region on its own as every country can be a region of their own... Which yeah, distorts the data in general on these kind of maps. Cyprus is probably a case of political recognition or just a small mistake by the map maker. Again, I trust the map from my own experience.

And you are already quite close with your guesses. I wouldn't look at the cities though, it's not something one normally connects to the urban lifestyle.

EDIT: Ok, since nobody seems to be guessing, I'll add two hints.

First, @Samson and @really were really close, but wrong in important details.

Secondly, besides the four categories, there are two more that would make intuitive sense, lets call them green and orange. My guesses would be the following: Green would paint the map green practically everywhere, while orange wouldn't even show up, even less than Purple/Dark Blue does. These two are thus excluded by the annotation I obscured as well.

If that doesn't help, I'll solve by the evening :)

Last edited:
Majority Land use by value:
Yellow = Animal agriculture
Red = Arable agriculture
Blue = Commercial
Purple = Tourism

Green = housing (so excluded)

Pigs, cattle, sheep, centaurs.

Most numerous livestock.
Cattle are more important in Ireland but the numbers of of sheep probably easily outnumber them, especially here on poorer land in the west/northwest of Ireland.

The cities like Madrid and Bucharest seem to be aberrations.

sorry I thought it was solved. :blush:

That was just the discussion on the units as done by eurostat. : )

Pigs, cattle, sheep, centaurs.

Most numerous livestock.
Cattle are more important in Ireland but the numbers of of sheep probably easily outnumber them, especially here on poorer land in the west/northwest of Ireland.

The cities like Madrid and Bucharest seem to be aberrations.

Bingo, well, nearly. Your Centaurs obviously look like this

Spoiler :

And the two excluded categories in "Most Common Livestock per Region" are Poultry and Equines. I'm just guessing that chicken per capita are quite numerous. ; - ) The map and where I got it from: https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1353734408541515776

Btw. the map is also interesting in that it isn't really the best way to present the data here, since the total number of what is needed to paint a region can vary quite a lot. I don't think Berlin has that many sheep for example :)

Since it seems that really isn't taking it...

testy.png

I guess this could again be either really complicated or really easy.

[EDIT] This makes no sense with Italy.

Something to do with religion?

Spoiler Old answer :

Blue - Protestant state, catholics persecuted
Dark Orange - Catholic state, protestants persecuted
Link Orange - Religious freedom

clarifying in that there were three popes in the year something-or-other
1409-1417 or so, I'm looking it up

the pope in rome being recognised by the blue states and the pope in avignon recognised by the red states

the yellow one I see was a pope in pisa. He wasn't around as long as the other two

also found where the map was from and such https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Schism

:blush: I meant to do it at the weekend but I forgot...

Wait to see if Lohrens want this one :).

clarifying in that there were three popes in the year something-or-other
1409-1417 or so, I'm looking it up

the pope in rome being recognised by the blue states and the pope in avignon recognised by the red states

the yellow one I see was a pope in pisa. He wasn't around as long as the other two

also found where the map was from and such https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Schism

You're not supposed to google :p.
But okay, you're right, besides that yellow is changing allegiances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom