• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Gun nuts of CFC, I need your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emzie

wicked witch of the North
So, wife consented to me buying a rifle, with a few stipulations: proper storage (trigger lock, ammunition safe) and that I couldn't amass a collection. For now, it's a rifle.

My interest is mainly in target shooting. I might want to hunt some day, but it's not a driving factor. Self defence is a non consideration.

So I'm turning to you for recommendations! My primary experience is with a M1903 Springfield my family had back in Ohio. It's a fantastic rifle and is probably what I'm leaning in favour towards. However, since I won't really be able to get a second if I'm not liking my primary choice, I'm looking for advice.

Some points: automatic rifles are right out. While not impossible to get, a rifle like an AR-15 is probably not worth the hassle (requires a secondary license and permission to transport). Accuracy is a huge factor. I got good enough on the M1903 to hit at 500 yards. I'd like to be shooting at those kind of distances again.

I have a romantic bias towards bolt-action rifles.

If your main interest is target shooting, I'd suggest a .22. You can buy .22 ammo very cheap for a lot of it.

This is the best gun you can possibly buy

Spoiler :

Yeah, I really really don't think you understand objectivism. Though now that I type it, that's a high complement.

You can't really go wrong with a 1903 Springfield.

Either a Springfield or an Enfield if you want to shoot at those distances. I think it makes a lot more sense to get a .22 target rifle though. The ammo is a lot cheaper and you don't need a humongous range.

I enjoyed the challenge of those ranges. A .22 just won't cut at 500 yards.

Though, actually, I'd want to look into ranges around here to see if any offer long ranges.

Generally, smaller bullet = lower cost. A .223 is accurate to 500 yards.

Aren't those legal stipulations?

The rifle has to be trigger-locked or have the bolt removed. I don't think there's restrictions on ammo storage.

:lol: Different culture, that's all.

I've seen the acclaimed documentary Hot Fuzz. I think the culture difference is you living in a city.

Since you've done something so potentially dangerous as acquiring a rifle, please: be VERY careful.

Always, better safe than sorry.
I've seen the acclaimed documentary Hot Fuzz. I think the culture difference is you living in a city.
Best documentary in the decade, surely.

So, wife consented to me buying a rifle, with a few stipulations: proper storage (trigger lock, ammunition safe) and that I couldn't amass a collection. For now, it's a rifle.

My interest is mainly in target shooting. I might want to hunt some day, but it's not a driving factor. Self defence is a non consideration.

So I'm turning to you for recommendations! My primary experience is with a M1903 Springfield my family had back in Ohio. It's a fantastic rifle and is probably what I'm leaning in favour towards. However, since I won't really be able to get a second if I'm not liking my primary choice, I'm looking for advice.

Some points: automatic rifles are right out. While not impossible to get, a rifle like an AR-15 is probably not worth the hassle (requires a secondary license and permission to transport). Accuracy is a huge factor. I got good enough on the M1903 to hit at 500 yards. I'd like to be shooting at those kind of distances again.

I have a romantic bias towards bolt-action rifles.

I'm sure you could find an M1903 in Canada or a very similar Enfield M1917.

If you want something a little more up to date, then I'd suggest the classic and ubiquitous Remington 700 which is considered the definitive bolt action sporting/target/hunting rifle. If you're familiar with M1903 then you'll be right at home with it.

By the way, if you do buy an old military surplus rifle like an '03 then be sure to inspect the bore before you buy it and have a gunsmith check the head space.

Since you need a special gauge to properly measure head space, it would be a little difficult to check it before you buy the gun. Though there is some things you can look at yourself, ie, the bolt rattles and isn't tight when locked. After the transfer and before shooting it you need to take it to a gunsmith who has the proper equipment.

Checking head space on a newish gun with matching parts and numbers is redundant because that is done at the factory. Older guns however may be fitted with a replacement bolt that is not to with-in safe tolerances. So ALWAYS have an old rifle checked out before shooting it, especially if the bolt serial# doesn't match the one one on the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom