• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Hall of Fame Rules/FAQ

I have a few questions that I am sure have been asked before, but I'll ask again.

1) To submit an HOF Game, I just keep a few specific saves of the game, specificy the various settings and send it in.

2) Only the best games for each setting combination make it to the tables.

3) To be ranked in the HOF, your games must be on the tables.

4) The idea of the HOF (one idea, anyway) is to have people play all map sizes, all victory conditions and all difficulties.

As I read the rules and the FAQs I see a lot of attention focused on the 'How' but very little on the 'Why'. I think I am missing some basic piece of information about the HOF, but have no idea what it is.

1) To submit an HOF Game, I just keep a few specific saves of the game, specificy the various settings and send it in.
The 4000bc file and the turn after you win are mandatory. Up to 3 other files are optional (those make it easier for us to analyze a submission, and also more for other players to study).

2) Only the best games for each setting combination make it to the tables.
Any legal submission gets cleared to the tables. The top ten (based on score for Histograhpic and fastest finish date for all else) become the table, although no player gets more than two games per table.

3) To be ranked in the HOF, your games must be on the tables.
To be ranked in the Quartermaster's Challenge, yes.

4) The idea of the HOF (one idea, anyway) is to have people play all map sizes, all victory conditions and all difficulties.
That's the idea behind the Challenge, which is a competition within the HOF, but certainly not the only idea. Some players like our monthly unofficial competitions, the Gauntlets (found here in the forum). Some players pick a specific victory condition and master it from Chieftain all the way to Sid.

Basically, whatever you're interested in, go for it! Anyone submitting to the HOF, for whatever reason, regardless of skill is welcome to post here in the forum and tell us the tales of their trials and triumphs!

As I read the rules and the FAQs I see a lot of attention focused on the 'How' but very little on the 'Why'. I think I am missing some basic piece of information about the HOF, but have no idea what it is.
Because you love playing Civ, and with the HOF, you get to play Civ in the traditional single-player format, but still enjoy the competition, comparisons and comraderie available in a multiplayer environment.

why? well, it's a different way to play the game and learn.

GOTM/COTM, HoF, epic game, PBEM, Multiplayer on-line, conquests, mods... so many ways to play...

oh dear. Looks like one of my games was played without cultural conversions (Huge Chieftain Conquest) turned on. I assume that is checked for automatically? If not, please do make sure you check that one.

Thanks for the heads up. Did you go to play another game and notice that the settings weren't correct?

You're right BTW, we do check every game for that but thanks anyway.

@ Everyone.

Always double check your settings when starting a new game, if you load a conquests, even just to look at it, it changes the VCs. I did that but fortunately before I got anywhere I saw the VP oblisk on the map and investigated the problem. Don't forget the 4000BC checker as well. 4000BC check utility You have to log on as if to submit to use it.

Just a quick question that has arisen out of the current Gauntlet. I assume that it's legal, if a little dastardly, to use GPT to buy a tech at the big picture screen and then immediately declare war so no payment is made?

Just a quick question that has arisen out of the current Gauntlet. I assume that it's legal, if a little dastardly, to use GPT to buy a tech at the big picture screen and then immediately declare war so no payment is made?
A little dastardly? :lol:

Yes, legal. :)

Got a question: I'd like to play a game with 31 opponents on a ultra huge map. Since that type map is difficult to create via the random nature of the generator, is it legal to ask one of the famous map-makers of the forums to create one for me?

Got a question: I'd like to play a game with 31 opponents on a ultra huge map. Since that type map is difficult to create via the random nature of the generator, is it legal to ask one of the famous map-makers of the forums to create one for me?
Randomly generated maps only. Sorry.

I just finished a PTW Monarch game with a conquest victory on a huge map, detailed in this thread >>HERE<<. I am considering entering that game into the HOF.

When I examine the results table for condition=Conquests and mapSize=Huge (>>here<<) I see only five (5) entries in the table for Monarch (conquests and huge). That doesn't seem right; only 5?

What am I missing/not understanding?

It just means that only 5 games have been submitted for that particular category map size/category. The Hall is not particularly full and some of the full maps have a variety of weak dates.

You will see that with certain things - huge maps tend to less populated than smaller maps, except for histographic victories.

one thing that is interesting is that people are still learning about how to play civ the "best" way - in the past 6 months, I've seen new all time fastest times in 2 categories - SS and 20K.

100K is quite vulnerable, I believe, as well.

I just finished a PTW Monarch game with a conquest victory on a huge map, detailed in this thread >>HERE<<. I am considering entering that game into the HOF.
In this game I do not yet have a save after winning the game. I saved the game after I eliminated all the AIs. Then I let the game do its thing in the IBT. It told me I had won, etc, etc and when it asked I said I would play no more.

To properly submit this I need the 4000BC.SAV, some in-between saves and the end game save on the turn after victory has been achieved.

By going back to my after-elimination-but-before-IBT-save and going through the IBT again and then saving in the following turn, well, is that legal or a reload? (Hmm, maybe I should just do it and provide both of those saves to the HOF, just to avoid confusion.)

By going back to my after-elimination-but-before-IBT-save and going through the IBT again and then saving in the following turn, well, is that legal or a reload? (Hmm, maybe I should just do it and provide both of those saves to the HOF, just to avoid confusion.)
That's fine, just do as you suggested and submit both the turn before and turn after saves.

That game cannot be entered into the HOF. The entire premise was a that of a giant reload. I started the game, got spooked, and then restarted it again for the thread, playing it as an SG.

Since I stated earlier I planned to submit the game, I need to also state that, upon further review, the game should not be submitted and explain why. Otherwise, a casual reader may think it is OK to submit a reloaded game.

Post was eaten by radioactive slugs, nothing to see here.

This one too. Move along, nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Top Bottom