1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

2. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Congrats, but it looked a little too easy (maybe I'm wrong).

I sincerely hope this isn't the last.

3. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey King

lurker's comment: Awesome job! :goodjob: It was great to see how the pillaging armies rolled up the runaway AI. Congrats!

4. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

lurker's comment: I think they make it LOOK easy because they're so good at doing it. I'm impressed! :D

5. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Thanks to the lurkers for your comments. :cool:

As Handy says, if you're not advancing in AW, you're probably losing. So any AW game that's won at all is likely to be a steady succession of triumphs, and may look a little easy in retrospect.

6. ThERat

ThERat Deity

It wasn't an easy starting position at all, but at this point we might simply be pretty experienced for this kind of game. :goodjob:

As it looks, we are going for a break(?) until we try again? What is left for us to play? all random AWDG?

7. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

lurker's comment: Congratulations, I'd say AWDG with civ of your team's choice.:D

8. handy900

handy900 Deity

Yeah. This was a hard start with a crappy civ and we pulled it off. Well played!!

I'll lurk when I can and hope to be back when the storm passes. I'm just too gassed when I get home to play right now. Need a break to charge the batteries a bit. :)

9. ThERat

ThERat Deity

hope your tough schedule and pressure at work will ease, because a game without handy is just not the grumpy game we are used to.

10. handy900

handy900 Deity

Thanks, but I think I've been the weak link in these games for a while now. :lol:

11. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Nicely done :goodjob:
    I hope i'll see another handy's game of civ3 AW.
    Anybody wants to start another one now? Perhaps a small or tiny map and/or more relaxed roster (without the 24/72 rule)? We could try a crappy start awdg or great start aws.

12. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

One thing that I have considered trying is a Tiny Pangea map with a single SID level enemy. Sort of a sid "duel" map in civ3. Would this interest anybody?

13. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

I am afraid that this may actually be quite easy, we can just use the same strategy we used in this game: develop one city quickly to 10spt and build a couple of spears and a dozen of archers. Then we can cripple the AI relatively quickly.

14. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

lurker's comment: I actually have a strategy of my own, get a stack of arches, maybe with one or 2 spears, and start heading towards the opponents city, then, while all their units are on the way to your city(because you are in war), their cities are left with only 2-3 spears.:)

15. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Yes, you don't need anything more complicated to win on tiny pangaea, even on sid level, that's why i don't like the idea. AW may change this a bit though, but i still don't think it'll be interesting.

If we don't want too long turnsets, why don't we just play 5CC? I've played a 5CC game recently and i really like the variant, it removes all the annoying MM, but keeps all the fun in. Don't know how 5CC AW will play, since production will be limited and we'll have to use wider spacing then usual, also all or most of our cities will be exposed, but i guess we may try it on emperor or even lower.

16. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I have played and won 5CC AWE. It can be a tough variant and is fairly interesting. I would be willing to play such a game

17. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

I will have to bow out of these for a while. In trying to foster and keep a good relationship with my wife, I actually have to spend time with her.

Spending my evenings on Civ is not so condusive to this, so I am trying to cut back significantly.

I highly doubt that I will be back in civ3 again, but I really enjoyed the game a ton.

18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Sorry to see you go, Romeo. I've enjoyed your posts and reports. :goodjob:

5CC AWE sounds interesting, though perhaps my vote doesn't count, since such a game might be over by the time I can play again (March 7). :lol:

19. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

You mean we'll win so fast? :mischief:

20. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Good playing with you Romeo.

Since we don't have many ppl, I am thinking we should just wait until March anyway.