• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Harald is so comical when he apologizes

When his spy is killed. First you see him wearing his helmet, then he mumbles something, takes off his helmet, throws it into the water and walks off the screen. While you're reading "Please let any hostile feelings...." and "It makes me glad you will overlook..." he's not even there, like he's shouting from the other side of the longboat. :lol:

That's until you spot him capital sniping...

Spoiler :

The Maya also do this... in G&K when a Civ asks for forgiveness, they play their animation usually reserved for being defeated in vanilla... it makes for funny situations sometimes.

I'm pretty sure all of the Leaders use their defeated animations. I makes sense for some, like Pacal. Not for other, like Harald.

The reason they recycle old animations is likely because they'd need to get the dozens of voice actors who provided the snippets back into the studio to do more recordings. Which they probably can't do, since it's exceedingly difficult to find speakers of some of those languages, only some of which will be interested, and many of which may not actually want to come back in to do more work. This is also why each leader has a generic "make an angry face and do something dismissive" animation, so they can use that screen for any number of situations that may come up. Although with some of the animations, I have to wonder if what the leader says actually fits. I don't remember what the few leaders whose languages I understand say.

The reason they recycle old animations is likely because they'd need to get the dozens of voice actors who provided the snippets back into the studio to do more recordings. Which they probably can't do, since it's exceedingly difficult to find speakers of some of those languages, only some of which will be interested, and many of which may not actually want to come back in to do more work. This is also why each leader has a generic "make an angry face and do something dismissive" animation, so they can use that screen for any number of situations that may come up. Although with some of the animations, I have to wonder if what the leader says actually fits. I don't remember what the few leaders whose languages I understand say.
Actually it's a matter of money really. Almost all the voice actors are from Montreal, I doubt they would be that hard to find. Not to mention some probably did it for free (Napoleon was done by a 2K employee). But generally speaking, I think it's just a matter of paying them money just for a single line. Hardly worth it.

Wrong animations:

Talking ship?

Attachments

• 2012-06-23_00001.jpg
    2012-06-23_00001.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 2012-06-23_00002.jpg
    2012-06-23_00002.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,239
  • 2012-06-23_00003.jpg
    2012-06-23_00003.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 2012-06-24_00001.jpg
    2012-06-24_00001.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 2012-06-24_00002.jpg
    2012-06-24_00002.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,197
Yeah, it's really ridiculous, I first noticed it when Germany apologized (I'm German, so I understand what Bismarck is saying), and he says "Germany . . . has . . . been distroyed."

And I was like O.o, what the hell is he talking about ? ^^

Yeah, it's really ridiculous, I first noticed it when Germany apologized (I'm German, so I understand what Bismarck is saying), and he says "Germany . . . has . . . been distroyed."

LOL. Just picture it as Germany's reputation has been destroyed, not the whole empire. :D

"Ich weine um die zukünftigen Generationen" (I weep for future generations)

Wow, Bismarck, slow down there, Germany hasn't been destroyed! :D

It's probably a bug, I hope they fix it in the next patch.

I like the animations though. I wouldn't mind if they didn't fix it.

And Theodora of Byzantine is hot!

I like the animations though. I wouldn't mind if they didn't fix it.
No, thank you, it completely destroys my immersion when a leader I understand (Cathy, Isabella, Bismarck, Theresa, Washington, Liz) come and start accusing me of destroying their country when the subtitle tells me it's all about a stupid spy. It's very annoying.

I don't need that much immersion. It's not like I want to feel the pain of being beheaded or executed in some other ways when I lose to my enemy like what happened to more than a few rivals throughout history. :D

I don't need that much immersion. It's not like I want to feel the pain of being beheaded or executed in some other ways when I lose to my enemy like what happened to more than a few rivals throughout history. :D
And I am sure you love the "you are trying to win the game" modifier too. :crazyeye: Some people like to be immersed, you know.

Actually it's a matter of money really. Almost all the voice actors are from Montreal, I doubt they would be that hard to find. Not to mention some probably did it for free (Napoleon was done by a 2K employee). But generally speaking, I think it's just a matter of paying them money just for a single line. Hardly worth it.
I think that's partly the case. Of course, with languages such as English, German and French it shouldn't be that difficult to find a speaker to do the voices. Though, I recall that EA once stated in an interview that they have quite some difficulty finding an Arabian speaker for Battlefield 2, so even for used languages it might get difficult. Then try to search for speakers of languages from civilizations such as Babylonia, Maya and Inca.... good luck with that. Even if you find someone, the voice has to fit the person involved, the actor must receive a payment and the actor must have the time to do it. Considering that there are something like 34 civilizations, with probably close to 30 different languages that is one hell of a job to do.

No, thank you, it completely destroys my immersion when a leader I understand (Cathy, Isabella, Bismarck, Theresa, Washington, Liz) come and start accusing me of destroying their country when the subtitle tells me it's all about a stupid spy. It's very annoying.
Some of the animations should be a bit strange and I get your point but you shouldn't bother yourself too much with it. I don't know about you, but I don't understand the vast majority of the spoken languages in civ. So it probably sounds good enough anyway.

I can understand rare languages making these mistakes. But when you've got millions of able speakers of languages like German, French, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Swedish, Latin (Just get an Italian actor... that's what they did anyway) and can take a good shot at other ones like Thai, it becomes a lot harder to forgive. Maybe that's why they beg so powerfully in the animations... it's the animators telling us something.

But seriously... keep the defeat screens for some people when asking for forgiveness, just try to fix the dialogue... even if it's the "let's make a deal" or some really generic dialogue.

It's not a bug. Why on earth would it be a bug?
1. Civ 5 is an English game, meaning that majority of players speak English and will not understand the other languages (I know, the game has been translated in other languages, but it is English primarily)
2. Like many have said, they couldn't get actors to do all 32 voices again, since that would mean re-hiring, re-contacting and asking them ALL to do 1 line (I mean c'mon? Think rationally about that).
3. They probably couldn't afford (with time) to actually provide NEW animations for the original/DLC civs to provide NEW animations either.
4. So, they probably just decided that defeated animations look the best when confronted about a spy or spreading relgiion, it just so happens that some don't fit.

I for one, couldn't care less, and I find it amazing how little things can tick people off.

Top Bottom