Having trouble with naval units automate

MMX5000

Chieftain
Not sure if this is normal or not, but every time I set naval units to automate (exploring) it takes an absurdly long time to proceed. Last one I set took almost 3 minutes before the game became responsive again. Also ever since I set them to automate, each turn is taking much longer than they used to. I am using a gigantic map if that helps.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but every time I set naval units to automate (exploring) it takes an absurdly long time to proceed. Last one I set took almost 3 minutes before the game became responsive again. Also ever since I set them to automate, each turn is taking much longer than they used to. I am using a gigantic map if that helps.

What version? This should have been fixed in v22, but it was terrible in v21

Its 21.7. So upgrading should fix the problem? Also will my saves move over properly?

Its 21.7. So upgrading should fix the problem? Also will my saves move over properly?

Yes and no.

They will transfer fine, but you may find you have a rampant crime problem a few turns later, since you'll likely have lots of crime producing buildings but not have bothered with any anti-crime ones.

What you could try is taking the DLL from this patch post:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11414155&postcount=139

I'm not guaranteeing it will work for certain, but there's a good chance, and if it works at all (i.e. - loads your game) it should be ok and resolve your issue. Make a copy of your existing DLL first in case it doesn't work, and you still don't want to upgrade.

Shouldnt be a problem. I have zero crime producing buildings cept in my capital which only has enough for bandit riders. I always have extreme excesses of cash but not enough espionage and it seems all crime buildings reduce my espionage so I never take them. Thanks for the help.

If you dont mind my asking, what is it about naval auto explore that was causing turns to take so long?

Shouldnt be a problem. I have zero crime producing buildings cept in my capital which only has enough for bandit riders. I always have extreme excesses of cash but not enough espionage and it seems all crime buildings reduce my espionage so I never take them. Thanks for the help.

If you dont mind my asking, what is it about naval auto explore that was causing turns to take so long?

It was looking for potential exporation targets by searching the entire map, then valuing each possible target by various factors including how long it would take it to path there. Since that involves generating optimal paths to targets all over the world (and in particular ones that it CANNOT actually path to, which it's very expensive to determine the failure of by attempting to build such a path), the evaluation scaled very badly with map size, and amount of revealed (sea) terrain.

It now works by pre-determining the set of reachable tiles, and evaluating THOSE, knowing a path can be constructed to all of them, if it decides during the evaluation it needs the specific path length.

Ah thanks that actually explains alot, thanks. And holy !@#$ the difference is big. My last turn in the old version took over 5 minutes. First turn this version less than one minute. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT okay now I have a strange bug. One of my cities is somehow facing a food deficit even though I'm producing more than enough food. When mousing over the food info, it appears as though I'm losing 53 food, 48 from the population and another 5 from health. However the growth bar shows that I'm somehow losing 94 food. I have a similar problem in every city of mine. The amount of extra food the tooltip says I'm producing is actually lower than what the growth bar shows I'm producing, though atm only one city is starving as a result. Is it a result of the version change?

Top Bottom