Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts

Aztecs: War, they have Space Flight, we have Synthetic Fibers. They'll pay up to 12gpt for peace.
Egypt: War, they have Nuclear Power, we have Rocketry and Ecology. They'll pay up to 52gpt for peace.

We can have peace with Monty after we steal Space Flight, and we can have peace with Egypt after we burn Thebes, but until then, let the wars continue.

Why are we rebuilding so many of the rails I pillaged? I cleared out all those squares to avoid giving Greece free run of the continent when their culture expansions push our blockade back.

I was only re-RRing the areas not one or two tiles from the border...

My plans:

1. Bomb the Egyptian Wines.
2. Bomb Thebes' BFC to starve down the city.
3. Load up a bunch of MA on the transports and send 'em back at Thebes.
4. Pillage a wide swath along the Greek border to help slow their southern expansion. I'll leave a few key routes for us to use for when we go to war with them again.

What do you guys think?

Good ideas. Also, even after Thebes is starving, you can bomb it down to size, and you can also bomb some of those roads that go between them and the Mongols- the longer it takes their troops to reach Mongolia, the better Mongolia will do against them. Also, bomb some of those radar towers.

Re: the RRing, a fair point - all the RR tiles were away from the Greek border. Still, I can't tell you how uneasy I am about them breaking free and settling on all of our luxes!

Another thought: Three of our cities would benefit quite handsomely from an offshore platform. We should switch science to Miniaturization and extort Nuclear Power from Egypt during the peace talks after we burn Thebes.

Looks like killing the UN is still not going to happen soon. Hopefully MAs will do it, plus the bombing of their land and gettig rid of their Metro bonus. Miniaturization would be nice to have, I agree on switching. Let the AI research Nuclear Power. We are getting there slowly, but we do have a deadline towards launch, so we might need to start thinking on how we are going to bring the win home. Overall, looks okay.

I thought about researching Miniaturization, then thought Nuclear Power would probably be better to get, especially considering the suckiness of our spies.

But yeah, switch to Miniaturization.

Nah, our cities make enough SPT, and I wanna be able to build infrastucture.

It would be nice to speed up shipbuilding though...and it'll be at least 15 more turns before we want to build more infra.

I'm done with my turnset. You can see the highlight below :)

Spoiler :

Pre-turn:

Do a bunch of pillaging.
Change Antioch to a Modern Armor. The Commercial Dock will only give us three additional commerce per turn in that city (and since it costs 2gpt, it's really only 1gpt).
MM Arbela for growth - the extra shields during the IBT will make up for the loss in shields right now.

IT:

Persepolis: Research Lab->Modern Armor
Pollution at Pasargadae
Susa: Mass Transit System->Battleship
Antioch: MAs

Turn 1 (1902 AD):

EEK! Some ships are still on auto-move! I tell 'em to fortify in their new position so they don't keep moving next turn.

IT:

Pasargadae: Bombers

Turn 2 (1904 AD):

Build a Mine at Pasargadae. It'll starve down by one citizen, but it now has a slight cushion against pollution.
Safe steal vs. the Aztecs fails.
Switch science to Miniaturization. Due in 18 at 60% science.

IT:

Mongols end our RoP/luxes deal. We renegotiate: Straight Ivory for Incense.
Pollution strikes Persepolis.
Persepolis: MA->Battleship
Arbela: Carriers

Turn 3 (1906 AD):

More bombarding. We should be able to invade Egypt again towards the end of my turnset.

IT:

Greeks offer to trade territory maps if we include a bribe of 6 gold. No thanks.
Pollution at Persepolis again.
Pasargadae: Bomber->Jet Fighter
Pollution at Antioch and Arbela, too.

Turn 4 (1908 AD):

More bombarding...

IT:

:mad: ARG! I sent the new Carrier to the same square as the Battleship to our west, thinking I could bombard the Egyptians. Sadly, I was one square too far away, and then an Egyptian battleship sank the Carrier -- our Battleship was damaged enough that the Carrier became the primary defender! :wallbash:
Mongols boot our transports.
Pasargadae: Jet Fighter->Bomber
Susa: Battleship->Battleship

Turn 5 (1910 AD):

Kill the offending Egyptian battleship.
Bombard around Thebes.
Strongly consider mobilizing for war. It would give us a nice boost to our shipbuilding.

IT:

Persepolis: Battleships

Turn 6 (1912 AD):

More bombardment. Almost all the squares around Thebes have been flattened - but they've already rebuilt the rails on the Wines :(

IT:

Pasargadae riots. Looks like Mongolia just lost their Incense.
Arbela: Carriers

Turn 7 (1914 AD):

Lose a Bomber over Thebes.
Sliders to 50% science, 10% lux.

IT:

Submarine sinks one of our Destroyers.
Egyptian Battleship sinks while attacking our Battleship
Egyptian Battleship sinks our Destroyer.
Pasargadae: Bomber->Jet Fighter

Turn 8 (1916 AD):

More bombardment. Our forces land in Egypt.

IT:

Egyptian Battleship suicides against our Battleship W of Arbela.
Persepolis: Battleship->MA
Pasargadae: Jet Fighter->Bomber
Susa: Battleships

Turn 9 (1918 AD):

Lose two more Bombers over Thebes.
Kill a Mech Inf and destroy the Radar Tower next to Thebes.

IT:

Egyptian Battleship sinks our Battleship screening the western Carrier.
A second one sinks our Carrier :wallbash:

Turn 10 (1920 AD):

Lose a Jet Fighter over Thebes.
Destroy the Thebes Airport.
Lose two eTanks and about nine MA before...

I also note that the Greeks got a culture expansion at Troy. We should bring our Egyptian forces home, then declare on Greece.
I go ahead and switch Susa to a Bomber - we have less of a need for naval forces now.

Handoff Notes

We should make peace with Egypt ASAP - we're up to 20% lux to deal with the WW.
Once we have Miniaturization, we should build up cash for stealing Space Flight and Nuclear Power - we can't get 'em in a peace deal right now.
Once we have peace with Egypt, check every turn for opportunities to trade for Wines and Furs. They should have the Wines online again within two or three turns.

It took awhile, but the UN is gone. Now the problem is getting this won before 2050. My opinion is we are stuck in this on/off war with Greece, we arre tying up the resources we need to win this. I think from here on war should only be due to failed steals rather than us actively seeking war, when we are at war, we are just dealing with that rather than researching. I don't have the save, but I know there are still 5 or more techs necessary to build a spaceship and only 65 turns left to do it in. We need fast research and careful timing to get this won. I guess I'm up again, so I'll see what I can do. Maybe will play starting tomorrow. BTW, good job you guys, you removed a huge obstacle.

IMO, we should go to war with Greece again during your turnset, Overseer, and smash their core. Once that's done, we should pillage almost everything outside of our territory to slow down the AI recolonization efforts. We'd leave our colonies, of course, and a minimal railnet for our own use, but for the most part, bomb the continent back into the Stone Age. Meanwhile, research like mad to get the necessary techs.

What do you guys think?

We have accumulated so much WW that it will cause happiness problems. It does sound fun though. I guess its only a matter of time before they DoW us on their terms, so we might as well hurt them as much as possible. I'll see what kind of war I can scratch up. I expect some breakthroughs by their MAs, no way will our current barrier hold. I may not play til later in the week, I'm up in SGFN06, and that comes first.

The WW is coming from the Egyptians - make peace with them, and we'll have no problems for our war on the Greeks.

As for their MAs, I'd abandon the barrier line and stack about half a dozen MIs on the important colonies in no-man's land.

We lose the barrier, we gain Aztec and Egyptian settlers, necessitating wars with them.
I guess that will happen anyway if we fail in a steal.

I don't think the Aztec war is a problem. There's hardly been any action against them since that war started.

As for the barriers, well, can we afford to disband half our military and go 100% science? If we aren't going to prune back Greece, we need to cut our unit support costs.

We should keep the barrier up to hold off Greece. However, you're right, we need to smash their core to prevent them from building their own space ship.

Then again, we could just research Satellites- a few ICBM's should do the trick, too. :p

We can also slow a Greek advance by making a two-tile pillage zone and pulling all of our blockade units further back from there. Make two stacks of MIs to defend invasion paths, and we're all set.

Good suggestion, Tusker. Worked very well. I finished playing, all went well, I have erased 4 nasty green stains from the map. I have the wrong tech research going, we should be researching Superconductor. Make sure to switch immediately. We have Spaceflight, so the Apollo Project should be built as soon as the Internet finishes, unless you get a leader to rush it sooner. I had no luck getting one. Here is my turn-log:

Spoiler :

Pre-flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Get the save loaded. Look things over.
Check options for Peace with Egypt. Can get 1410 for Peace plus our WM. I go for it. Hopefully when we get the move or declare, our troops teleport home. This allows me to abolish luxury spending and raise the tech rate to 70%. Begin Preparations for the resumption of the Greek war. Dump 2 Cavalry in cities building Bombers, 1 goes to an MA, one for an MI. With MAs available, Cavalry are a waste of unit support. We also have plenty of Bombers.

Non-Combat
Slaves 105
Military units:
Mech Infantry 18
Cavalry 5
Tanks 3
Modern Armor 16
Artillery 20
Army 1, 3 Mech Infantry
Jet Fighters 1
Bombers 31
Ships:
Transports 3
Carriers 2
Destroyers 1
Battleships 6

Hit enter=>

IBT: Egypt gives me the remove or declare. Teleportation time.
Greeks settle Mytilene in the neutral zone, enveloping our forward air base, I will declare in several turns and remove some vile green stain.
Pollution on mountain at Arbela.
Arbela Modern Armor=>Modern Armor.
Pasargadae Modern Armor=>Modern Armor.
Susa Mech Infantry=>Bomber.
Antioch Modern Armor=>Modern Armor.
Persepolis Modern Armor=> Modern Armor.

Turn 1, 1922 AD: Retreat units in Greek territory.
Disband Cavalry in Pasargadae to get a 1 turn Modern Armor.
Further preparations in the neutral zone, I’m going to remove forts that can be used against us and make anything that gets through end up on flatland with no forts.
Clean the pollution.
Make a trade with Egypt, our Dyes for Furs.
Fortify wounded units in Pasargadae.

IBT: Aztecs want peace, but won’t give anything I want.
Pasargadae Modern Armor=> Mech Infantry.
Pollution near Pasargadae and Arbela.

Turn 2, 1924AD: Disband Cavalry in Pasargadae to get a 1 turn Mech Infantry. I won’t disband our eCavalry, just in case a fishing opportunity arises.
Pillage several forts in the neutral zone, re-rail where appropriate.
I identify 8 tiles that need guarded well, hopefully sending Greek units into kill-zones. The rest can be left open.

IBT: Persepolis Modern Armor=>Modern Armor.
Pasargadae Mech Infantry=>Modern Armor.
Susa Jet Fighter=>Bomber.
Antioch Modern Armor=>Modern Armor.

Turn 3, 1926AD: Cover the important spots. Switch MA builds to MIs, to replace expected losses, I’m betting they attack our colonies first. I think I’m ready. Try to goad Alex into a DoW, no luck. Declare anyway. My knowledge of WW is correct, we still have WW left from our previous wars. Raise the lux slider to 10%, but if we lose many units or luxes, we are screwed.
Artillery kills 1 citizen, takes 2 hp from the rMI guarding it.
vMA wins vs 1hp vMI, -3hp, taking the city, razes for 1 slave.
Successfully destroy the Radar Tower near Halicarnassus with Bombers.
Bombing the city kills 1 citizens, does no damage to the MI guarding it.
Artillery only removes 3 hp from 2 vMIs guarding.
vMA wins vs 3hp vMI, -1hp.
vMA wins vs 2hp vMI, -3hp, razing the city for 8 gold, settler captured for 2 slaves.
That settler could have conceivably erased our Silks colonies.
Now for the scary part, 23 MAs and a few MIs, this could get very ugly, very fast.

IBT: Wow, they avoided all the hard points, though I missed 1 fort that should have been pillaged.
Arbela Mech Infantry=>Modern Armor.
Pollution near Antioch.
Redline and kill 2 MAs and one MI.

Turn 4, 1928 AD: Bombard to Redline and kill Greek intruders.
Clear any remaining forts that Greeks could use.
Get workers in to rail a tile that shouldn’t have been pillaged, so I can go after Mytilene next.

IBT: Greek Bombers hit our colonies and exposed units.
MA kills an MI out toward Dyes colony. One MA moves into a kill-zone.
Persepolis Mech Infantry=> Modern Armor.
Pasargadae Mech Infantry=>Modern Armor.
Susa Bomber=>Bomber.
Antioch Mech Infantry=>Modern Armor.

Turn 5, 1930 AD: Near Dyes colony: vMA wins vs 1hp eMA clean.
In kill zone: eTank loses to 1hp vMA.
eTank wins vs 1hp vMA clean.
Artillery takes the single conscript MI guarding Mytilene to one hp.
“Tank Commander” vMA wins vs 1 hp cMI, -2hp, destroys Mytilene for 9 gold.
Try to pillage as many rails and roads off the map that the Greeks can use against us. If all the combat is on our terms, we can limit the losses.

IBT: Greek Bombers attack exposed units, colonies and our advance airbase.
Despite my precautions, WW steps up another notch, I guess bombing by enemy bombers adds to WW, since there were no attacks this IBT .
Antioch riots. Rather than raise the lux rate, I change geeks to clowns and take 1 tile out of production, change the build to a colosseum.

Turn 6, 1932 AD: Line up 8 MAs guarded by 2 MIs to take Troy and maybe bag some of those pesky bombers. Start clearing tiles around our forward airbase.
Lose 1 Bomber to a Jet Fighter at Troy.
eMA wins vs 1hp vCav clean.
Lower tech rate to 60%, we are now only losing 16 gpt.

IBT: Egypt has a transport moving up the west coast.
Greek Bombers pound our colonies, now they seem based in Leeds.
One MI and one MA move into “approved” kill-zones.
Pollution near Persepolis.
Persepolis Modern Armor=> Modern Armor.
Pasargadae Modern Armor=> Modern Armor.
Pollution near Susa
Susa Bomber=>Bomber.
Arbela Modern Armor=>Mech Infantry.
Riots end at Antioch.

Turn 7, 1934 AD: Our entire Bomber stack kills 2 citizens and removes 2 hp from Units at Troy.
vMA loses vs 3hp vMI, removes 1 hp.
vMA loses vs 3hp vMI, removes 1 hp.
vMA wins vs 2hp vMI, -1hp.
vMA loses vs 2hp vMI, removes 1 hp, MI promotes.
vMA loses vs 2hp eMI.
vMA wins vs 2hp eMI, -1hp, and the siege of Troy is over. Raze nets 9 gold, kills 3 enemy bombers.
Clean up pollution at Susa and Persepolis.
Start Military Academy as an Internet pre-build in Pasargadae, it will save us 10 gpt maintenance on our Research Labs.

IBT: Egypt lands settler pair in an area that might actually help us.
Greeks make peace with Aztecs.
Greek Bombers hit our stack, but no follow up with ground attacks.
Pollution near Antioch.
Antioch Colosseum=>Modern Armor.

Turn 8, 1936 AD: Send 10 MAs towards Rhodes. Lose 2 Bombers softening the city up, destroy nearby radar towers, Marketplace, Temple, kill 2 citizens.

IBT: Egyptian settler pair move inland, looks like they want the Coal or Rubber.
The usual Greek bombings. Our fighter nails 1.
2 Cavalry and an MA move into kill-zone.
Miniaturization arrives, but tight-ass Cleo won’t trade for Nuclear Power.
Monte will trade it for peace deal and Space Flight….I am too tempted, I take it.
I then sell it to Temujin for 230 gold and 18 gpt.
Susa, Antioch and Pasargadae riot……loss of War Happiness. Damn.

Turn 9, 1938 AD:
Raise luxes to 20%, shut tech to 0%, its time to raise cash for some tech thievery.
Satellites would be nice, it’d be nice to have a few nukes.
Aztecs now have Satellites and they are building their Spaceship. This means nukes may soon be around.
Bombers destroy Library, University, 2 citizens and 2 hp from both MIs.
1 Shot down.
vMA wins vs 2hp vMI clean.
vMA loses vs 2hp vMI, MI promotes.
vMA loses vs 3hp eMI.
4hp eMA wins vs 1hp eMI, -3hp.
vMA wins vs vCav clean, and Rhodes is ours, netting 15 gold and destroying Jet Fighter there.

IBT: Egyptian settler pair moves again, if they settle in the wrong place, it’s going to be :trouble:
Mongols and Aztecs begin Internet, we get it in 8 turns.
Our fighters nail 2 Greek Bombers.
2 MAs enter kill-zone.
Riots end. Pollution near Pasargadae.
Susa Bomber=>Offshore Platform.
Arbela Mech Infantry=> Offshore Platform.

Turn 10, 1940 AD: Lose 3 Bombers to Jet Fighters.
eMA wins vs 1hp vMA , -1hp
eMA wins vs 1hp vMA , -1hp

Non-Combat
Slaves 112
Military units:
Mech Infantry 24
Cavalry 1
Tanks 2
Modern Armor 21
Artillery 20
Army 1, 3 Mech Infantry
Jet Fighters 1
Bombers 31
Ships:
Transports 3
Carriers 2
Destroyers 1
Battleships 6

Contacts
Germany- gone
Carthage- gone
Greece- War
England-gone
Egypt- Peace
Mongols- Peace
Aztecs- Peace

Cities
Persepolis, Size 21, growth stalled, Modern Armor in 1 turn.
Pasargadae, Size 20, growth in 30, Internet in 8 turns.
Susa, Size 21, growth stalled, Offshore Platform in 5 turns.
Antioch, Size 22, growth in 28, Modern Armor in 1 turn.
Arbela, Size 14, growth in 29, Offshore Platform in 5 turns.

Sliders
8/0/2, Nuclear Power (Should be switched to Superconductor) in 39 turns at +325 gpt, 2258 in the bank.

Pix:
Spoiler :

Under control in the west.
East is good.

The save:

Hmm. The Aztecs could be a problem if they try to launch a Space Ship. I'll take it now.

What do you propose we do against the Aztec threat?

Top Bottom