1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone. Why does Brazil always take Fascism?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Draco_Wolfgand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

No, I have not. This isn't the problem, imho. Modifier definition is ok. If you change it to 1, you will get 1% bonus, so not really different than detaching the modifier.
    Code:
           <Row>
               <ModifierId>TRAIT_FASCISM_BONUS_RATE</ModifierId>
               <Name>BonusRate</Name>
               <Value>100</Value>
           </Row>
           <Row>
               <ModifierId>TRAIT_FASCISM_BONUS_RATE</ModifierId>
               <Name>BonusType</Name>
               <Value>GOVERNMENTBONUS_UNIT_PRODUCTION</Value>
           </Row>

The problem is that it is a new effect type GOVERNMENTBONUS_UNIT_PRODUCTION. It is different that usually is used for unit production bonuses.

Civrinn and steveg700 like this.
  2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Liking it is not the problem, the problem is that ALL AIs ALWAYS chose Fascism, and Infixo uncovered the gigantic bug responsible for that.

Infixo, I am 100% (and my engine is not missing a /100 :lol:) sure FXS will NOT fix this bug for GS, so we better come up with a good "temporary" countermeasure... so, if we make that BonusRate 1 instead of 100, we would possibly compensate for the missing /100 for valuation of the policy, BUT we would decrease the real bonus 100 times, correct?

3. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

I would simply try to design a modifier that has the same effect but doesn't use GOVERNMENTBONUS_UNIT_PRODUCTION effect, just plain old ADJUST_UNIT_PRODUCTION or ADJUST_CITY_PRODUCTION_UNIT. Governments have normal Modifiers, so it should be easy to create a modifier for owner Player or Player Cities, and then use appropriare effect type.

4. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

That would be the elegant solution, but for that you would need access to the dll, which we don't have (and there is a chance we never will). I am talking an immediate work around, if possible a little less drastic than eliminating the modifier altogether, which affects valuation of government selection for the AI.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't know, I see a lot of similarities. HOI 4 allows you to get 100:1 casualty ratios with nations like Ireland, the AI doesn't know how to use paratroopers at all, will repeatedly let itself get encircled in the same spot...lots of similar pure tactical fails to Civ 6 AI.

In Civ 6 as you near the end of the tech tree you can't get better units from tech. Strength boosts from promotions, government, and corps/armies are more decisive than previous eras, where they were already extremely important. If the AI doesn't go fascism it would be even more free to 1-2 shot everything, with contemporary or even dated units (latter with promotions).

6. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Did I misunderstand you, or are you saying that a bug with some positive side effects is good justification to compensate for worse bugs (a very bad tac AI)?

7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Not if you're not playing to win.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You misunderstood me. I was merely thinking that fascism is actually a good pick for military boosts in Civ 6 also. Bug notwithstanding, the AI should probably be running it unless it's actually a serious contender for space or culture.

Since those are pseudo victory conditions AI should mostly default to fascism as a strategic choice. Not because it's a bug but because that choice is consistent with actual design incentives.

I'm not sure I'd call the bad tactical AI a "bug". Firaxis made that bed intentionally with how they invested and continue to invest their resources. It's certainly poor quality, but they seem content to leave it in its state for the most part.

9. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I know that. I'm just trying to point out that military governments and civics are better than what people give them credit for. And people immediately see it and think it is bad without thinking.

Yes, it should be fixed, but honestly this move is probably at worst neutral for the AI, unlike it staying in Monarchy forever. I can't say that about like, most of what it does.

If I designed the AI, I'd also have it favor a military focus, simply because the player with the most untrustworthy agenda is the human player.

10. Cacimbinhas

Cacimbinhas Chieftain

Maybe the developers were trying to reflect the military dictatorship which ended in 1985? Would probably be reflective of true history of era and time? Or maybe they just foresaw Bolsonaro?

11. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

If that were the case, then Brazil should also adopt communism between the 80's and the 2010's, right?

Nope, the AI cannot even do the basic things, forget about "resembling history" in any way... it just has valuation functions that have been proven to be, once again as with many other things in civ 6, bonkers.

Civrinn likes this.
  12. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Don't give them that much credit.

How often does the AI take Merchant Republic? Also pretty much never, for any civ.

13. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

As a leaf tech, I can live with that.

It would be better, though, if all the Tier 2 govts, like the Tier 3 govts, were on leaf techs. Same for the Tier 4 govts as of GS. Unless they wanted to purposefully make a non-leaf tech govt that's noticeably weaker than the leaf tech ones.