Help a Monarch Out

Tiepolo

Somewhere on the ceiling
Yeah so after getting BTS and dropping from monarch to Noble to get a hang of the game and finally winning through prince, I find myself back at monarch again. I've played one full game so far, which I won as a domination victory with Willem, but the win was very situational. I was on a long continent where i was given room to expand while other civs could only get 6 cities out or maybe one or two more, was able to block an AI and generally not worry about DOWs. Now, having started a few, I definitely need help.

Settings:

Civ: Egypt
Leader: Rameses
Map: Fractal
Size: Standard
All win conditions on
Choose religions on

Oh god, so this start is way to easy for Rameses..

Warrior where

Attachments

• Rameses-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    36.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Rameses.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.zip
    20 KB · Views: 34
Always settle in place until you can beat Immortal.

There are so many other ways to improve, trying to out-think the map generator is waste of time.

For example, what is the best tech to research? What should your capital build first? Many times those questions go unasked - and unanswered! - because everyone got bored of your thread before you even settled.

Id rather not go the religion route

@voice: Eh, seeing the rather nice tones I'm getting from you too... One NW. Eh **** it, settle in place theres really no where else to go, maybe one southeast

@voice: Eh, seeing the rather nice tones I'm getting from you too... One NW. Eh **** it, settle in place theres really no where else to go, maybe one southeast

That's a move, not a plan.

What are you assets? What are your liabilities? What are your goals? in what priority?

But that aside, you've basically got three options. You can settle in place (blind), you can settle 1W for the extra hammer (blind), or you can try to gather more information. If you are committed to a particular location, you move the settler there first (if going west, use the first move to explore SE), and use the additional data to guide the warrior. If you think the best city location is ambiguous, then the warrior goes first - the only useful location is the hill (unfortunately redundant, if the hill is the right location to settle).

ok so seeing that, I want to go onto the grassland hill, the flood plains are to be cottaged but farmed for early growth so I can pop out a settler or two and the stone hooked up quickly to grab mids.

If it's flood plains and stone you want, you're going to get them in a few turns anyway by settling in place.

It's difficult to say what's down there because you haven't scouted it yet. There's definitely a desert and it looks like there's also a desert hill.

I hate it when someone asks about where to move the Warrior and were to settle when the best decision is obvious. Just apply some math/logic/critical thinking and the best choice is obvious this early in the game.

Settle in place
Warrior 1SW
Worker First
TECH: Pottery ---> Masonry

Go 'Mids early with the Stone + Industrious combo as a later thought.

Thanks Civ for the advice, obviously it wasn't that obvious to me, but seeing how you're so awesome.

pretty sure sarcasm/making fun of people isn't the best way to get help.

also listen to dave, its simply not worth moving your settler for first town until you can beat the higher difficulties.

So if you've played little before, some basic background information. The map generator will usually start you next to a source of fresh water, as in river, lake, or oasis. You will get 3+ resources including at least one high food resource, although some resources count as half a resource and hence you will get multiples (like clams).
Strategic resources, copper, iron, and horses will be hidden until you research the tech, but they will count in your resource start. Sometimes moving your settler will lose you one of these hidden resources.
If you start on a plains hill, or a plains tile with a +1 hammer resource, your city will generate an extra hammer, and your start will be faster. If you start on a grassland tile with a +1 food resource, you will start with an additional +1 food per turn, though an upgraded food resource will often allow you to work extra tiles. Same with 2 commerce special resource starts.

Of course, this will matter a fraction of the time. Civ is a lot of general rules to follow, followed by situations in which you should break them.
General rules in this situation:
go worker first.
Get the technologies that allow you to improve the special tiles first. After that, tech alphabet or wonder techs.
Improve food first.
Grow to your improved resources and possibly a mined hill or two, while building a fogbuster or two then build a settler. Then a worker, then some mixtures of workers, settlers, fogbusters.
When you don't need anymore fogbusters, you can start on granaries then libraries. Make sure you get a city to build military.
Make sure scout the closest areas around you before your first settler.
Cottage flood plains.

pretty sure sarcasm/making fun of people isn't the best way to get help.

also listen to dave, its simply not worth moving your settler for first town until you can beat the higher difficulties.

Word, just not a fan of their tones.

Word, just not a fan of their tones.

I'm not trying to be mean at all. I am not awesome at all. If anyone gets made fun of on the forums it's me, I actually was going to post that my opinion has no mettle at all. I am a fellow Monarch player my friend, just trying to offer some strategic advice with no hard feelings. Just thought that the begging is relatively simple and is not worth a lot of talk. I could be completely wrong, it was just my thoughts on the matter.

By the way, there is no "tones" in a typed discussion. ;)

When I'm industrious and I have stone and/or marble I just go nuts with wonders. Build every one you can and get all the benefits but remember to build military and expand your empire too. Maybe get great prophets with Stonehenge and Obelisk and bulb theology to get theocracy to get stronger units in a possible military build up to whoop your neighbors with CR2 siege or something. Or use the wonders for a peaceful culture win. I've won culture on Monarch with like 5 cities and I wasn't even industrious(was philosophical though, and I think I had stone or marble or both).

Yeah you'd be insane not to build the pyramids here, that's for sure. Don't chop too much of that forest though... the :health: balances out the :yuck: from the flood plains. Settling on the river also gives you :health:. And don't forget about the corn (which will give you 6:food: plus a :health: bonus). That's actually the best tile of all IMO.

Always settle in place until you can beat Immortal.

There are so many other ways to improve, trying to out-think the map generator is waste of time.

For example, what is the best tech to research? What should your capital build first? Many times those questions go unasked - and unanswered!

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the entire forum :lol: since I know that DaveMcW is very popular in these parts, I’m going to say that I disagree with the first part of the statement: there can indeed be value in moving the settler on levels well below immortal. Indeed, I have played in and seen a number of games which have been transformed (for the better) by a judicious opening settler move. That said, I completely concur with the last point: that not enough thought then gets given to the initial tech and build paths. In this case of course, you have some very interesting opening choices, such as pottery for the floodplains, mining > masonry for the stone, not forgetting that AH will reveal if horses are nearby for the UU (which might come in handy when you play meet the neighbours.) Decisions, decisions! For the record, I think CivIVMonger has pretty much nailed it.

Dave just copy-pasted his post from a week ago, so he's probably not that interested in giving advice. Conditions: you post save and ask for generic advice. Result:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8734062&postcount=3

And for the what's your game plan to a beginner advice, what's your game plan for this:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom