Hi, new to civ III with questions

That is strange. If you take a look at GOTM military victories, on emperor level and below they are usually done with knights entirely.

Obormot said:
That is strange. If you take a look at GOTM military victories, on emperor level and below they are usually done with knights entirely.

interesting.

Obormot said:

perhaps if I had more room or more opponents I could make it to knights. but I just find that thats a very very long time to wait to initiate any kind of offense. so far in my games I'm hemmed in by like my 8-10th city and I have contact w/ 2-3 civs.

so I attack someone from there w/ swords/archers, end up behind in tech. demand like 6 techs from the first war, get a great leader, build new core. then start the necessary if not somewhat silly tech slingshotting, using anything I got. and the slingshot takes me through the middle ages like a rocket.

how are u guys doing the early tech trading? often I can give ppl 2 techs for 1 and then some money and I still dont get a deal done. and they are polite towards me!

also, how abusive is it to buy the other civs settlers off them? it seems to me it'd be nearly game breaking. should I be doing it?

yavoon said:
how are u guys doing the early tech trading? often I can give ppl 2 techs for 1 and then some money and I still dont get a deal done.

1 Research UP the tech tree, like alphabet-writing-philo, use the higher level tech to trade for the multiple lower level ones you skipped.

2 make lots of early contacts, if you can get in a position where you know all the civs but they do not all know each other, then you are golden.

3 the more civs that you know of have a tech, the cheaper that tech becomes. So while you are moving up the tech tree, the other civs trade the lower techs with each other, so those tech become cheaper, while you are still the only one who knows that higher level tech.

4 trade with the civ that can give you most first, the more civs that know each other have a tech becouse you trade it to them, the less you can ask for the same tech from the next civ you trade it to.

5a Trade a tech on the same turn to every civ that knows each other, so that they can no longer trade it among each other. It may even be worth just giving it away to the last civ on your tradelist if that one is to poor to give you something usefull in return.

5b Do not trade on the AI turns, or interturn, only trade when it is your turn, to prevent that civ from trading it to the other civs before you have a chance to do it yourself.

6 If you trade 2 tech for one AI tech, and then trade those same 2 for an other AI tech with an other civ, and then again with a 3th civ, you effectively traded 2 tech for 3.

There is no build in way that tells you what civ know each other until you gained the abilety to trade contacts, but if you pay close attention to things you can often make a pretty good guess about who knows who.

yavoon said:
and they are polite towards me!

Doesn't matter. Furious, anoyed, polite? Business is Business!

yavoon said:
also, how abusive is it to buy the other civs settlers off them? it seems to me it'd be nearly game breaking. should I be doing it?

Whatever you like, but it is not as if it happens every game that you have the oppertunety to do it, and not every civ in the game ither, so I don't think this effects the enviroment more than an unlucky strike by a barb unit would.

MAS said:
1 Research UP the tech tree, like alphabet-writing-philo, use the higher level tech to trade for the multiple lower level ones you skipped.

2 make lots of early contacts, if you can get in a position where you know all the civs but they do not all know each other, then you are golden.

3 the more civs that you know of have a tech, the cheaper that tech becomes. So while you are moving up the tech tree, the other civs trade the lower techs with each other, so those tech become cheaper, while you are still the only one who knows that higher level tech.

4 trade with the civ that can give you most first, the more civs that know each other have a tech becouse you trade it to them, the less you can ask for the same tech from the next civ you trade it to.

5a Trade a tech on the same turn to every civ that knows each other, so that they can no longer trade it among each other. It may even be worth just giving it away to the last civ on your tradelist if that one is to poor to give you something usefull in return.

5b Do not trade on the AI turns, or interturn, only trade when it is your turn, to prevent that civ from trading it to the other civs before you have a chance to do it yourself.

6 If you trade 2 tech for one AI tech, and then trade those same 2 for an other AI tech with an other civ, and then again with a 3th civ, you effectively traded 2 tech for 3.

There is no build in way that tells you what civ know each other until you gained the abilety to trade contacts, but if you pay close attention to things you can often make a pretty good guess about who knows who.

Doesn't matter. Furious, anoyed, polite? Business is Business!

Whatever you like, but it is not as if it happens every game that you have the oppertunety to do it, and not every civ in the game ither, so I don't think this effects the enviroment more than an unlucky strike by a barb unit would.

I know most of the basic stuff to try. but early I only know usually 2 sometimes 3 ppl. I can get alpha quick enough but I can't beat the computer to things past writing pretty much ever, unless I start popping all sorts of techs out of the goody hut. I just end up not being able to swing deals that are fair enough to keep up, eventually I'll go for a tech I think they dont go for like literature or mathematics and by the time I get it they have it +4 more.

infact last time I gaveup and instead put 0 science on then went to war and killed someone to 1 city and then demanded construction, currency, philosophy, code of laws, map making, literature, horseback riding, and mysticism for peace. that seemed to be more efficient.

Well, if you can't beat the AI to Writing on emperor then you are doing something seriously wrong at the very start of the game. You need to expand fast and build roads everywhere. The bigger cities should get MP warriors.

Obormot said:
Well, if you can't beat the AI to Writing on emperor then you are doing something seriously wrong at the very start of the game. You need to expand fast and build roads everywhere. The bigger cities should get MP warriors.
not to writing, past writing. sorry if it sounded like to writing.

Well, that is even worse, the deeper you beeline into the tech tree the more your chances of a monopoly tech should be. There is something wrong with your empire mangement. If you post a screenshot of your empire (maybe 1500BC or so), maybe I can tell what exactly is wrong.

Obormot said:
Well, that is even worse, the deeper you beeline into the tech tree the more your chances of a monopoly tech should be. There is something wrong with your empire mangement. If you post a screenshot of your empire (maybe 1500BC or so), maybe I can tell what exactly is wrong.

I could give a save if mac saves are at all readable. and what basically happens is I go for a tech they dont really like, say mathematics and it takes say 14-22 turns to get. by the time I get it they have the iron working, horseback, mysticism, and mathematics. so I just got stuffed.

does the computer intentionally expand towards u? because it seems like they are very aggressive in putting down towns near me lately. as close as 4 spaces from my capital.

yavoon said:
does the computer intentionally expand towards u? because it seems like they are very aggressive in putting down towns near me lately. as close as 4 spaces from my capital.

Not particularly. It is probably just that there is some lux or resource near. (remember the AI knows the map)

Oh, yeah, Mac saves should be readable on Win.

trying to upload a save here but it just says "uploading files please wait" ad nauseum. so it looks like a nogo.

I was kind of thinking of moving to deity but the sillyness of how far ahead the computer is can be a little disconcerting. is it better to try and stay up in tech or better just to research the leftovers(which are cheaper) then invade ppl for tech.

haha well now I know why so many ppl like huge maps. there's no room on standard! holy stuffed! they just take all the room so quick.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, hah it worked. deity is rough.

Attachments

• German Rule Deity 1.SAV.zip
    143.9 KB · Views: 34
well, they do expand fast on deity. they get an free settler the instant they create a new town, so they can plop down a second town 3 tiles from your first cities before you get your first warrior out.

barbarians can slow them down some. playing with fewer opponents can give you more room - playing with less ocean can help. Playing an arch map can really slow down the tech pace, too.

wondering if anyone could look at my save and see if I have any chance of winning this game. I'm Rome on deity. the general hope is that I kill the aztecs, get a leader, go straight for calvary and find someone else to kill.

Attachments

• Roman Rule Deity2.SAV.zip
    156 KB · Views: 35
haha well tried to play it out, I did kill the aztecs but by the time I was done the other side had rifles so I felt there was no way to get a cavalry army in time to matter. so I went for infantry and by that time everyone was in the modern ages.

basic problem in this game was that the ai very rarely went to war w/ each other. it was like fighting a giant research consortium.

ok pretty much won my first deity game, standard continents, roaming barbs, all the default settings actually if I think about it. the real trick seems to be to use settler factories. I used vanilla iroquois, which seems like one of the stronger civs because of their insane UU. took me forever to get a great leader, I think I started my first war in 900 BC and fought war constantly until like 400 AD before I got one.

I never got to demand any outrageous amts of money from anyone for techs, which was kind of a bummer. nothing over like 70 gpt(though I guess technically I haven't won yet)

the only real strategy I employed was kill everyone on my continent, then buildup my infrastructure. then I signed mutual protection pacts w/ the #2 and #3 AI civs and turned around and attacked the #1 AI civ.

Top Bottom