1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hipfot's veyDer's User Events

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Hipfot, May 3, 2011.

1. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

No problems anymore.
    Did some things and all is perfect( more then 3 times steam very...). I think your mod is not bugging maybe some problems with my CiV , or elsewhere.:crazyeye:

2. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi

Just a quick update: I've been working on a new build with updates to a lot of the event messages. Some of them didn't work and I've included player/city names where possible. So far you get all messages concerning the AI events as well as my lua experience is - as I've said multiple times - very limited. One or new events have also been added and the "meteor" event disabled since I've experienced crashes that was related to that in some tests.

I'll released when I've tested some more: So far so good!

\Skodkim

\Skodkim

3. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Sounds good.

Looking forward to it.

I have a request. Is it possible to change the notification when a city loses population to a red face with a negative marker on it? Currently any time there is a change in population up or down the green face is shown.

There used to be a red face but somehow that has been removed.

4. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Sorry but I have no clue as to how to control this. On a side notice I'm also using another mod (Cultural Capitals) which has an event where you loose population and this is also shown with a green face.

\Skodkim

5. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

I'm not crazy right? There actually used to be a Red Face that had a minus one mark on it for when you lost population...

Right?

Thanks for the notice Skodkim anyway. Keep up the good work. Love this mod.

6. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Well can't say about you being crazy in general...;) (Sorry couldn't resist)

Yes, there used to be a red face for when you lost population. Wonder what'll happen if you test it by letting a city starve..?

\Skodkim

7. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

In the 123 version of VEM if you get to the point where you are in serious happiness trouble your newly captured cities and some of your regular cities all go into starvation until you get out of it. That is how I found out about it in the first place.
    During one of the games I was playing I lost like 10 population from my Capitol... the whole time I was smiling along thinking... ooo my population is growing nicely. (All because of the green globes!)

Sorry back on topic...

Do you have a time frame for the newest version?

8. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

It would be awesome to create an alien invasion. I mean the aliens would replace the barbs and be able to capture cities and that stuff. Hopefully the future will give it to us.

9. skodkim

skodkim Deity

I Probably gonna release it this weekend. Over the last week or so I've been playing a game using it and have been fixing/tuning minor problems concerning some notifications not working correctly. Thats really the only problems I've seen for a while.

I'm also considering starting a new thread and uploading to the mod hub to make th emod more visiblie but I'm not really sure if that would give to much work: As I said before I have neither the time otr skills to maintain a mod but if it could attract more people with ideas, feedback and hopefully help then it would be great.

\Skodkim

10. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi

I'm uploading a new version of the mod:

• A lot of tweaks have been made to event messages
    • A buggy event that caused CTD has been removed (meteor event)
    • A new event had been added

Please clear cache before using.

If anyone sees any messages concerning "Event ID: ..." in the Fire Tuner Lua console while playing (or in the lua.log file) please send me the message. Those are debug messages I'm using to track down non-functioning event messages. They have been disabled for all messages I've seen work properly.

Enjoy! :)

\Skodkim

11. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Skodkim...

I was reading a while back that Thal was willing to put a random events mod into his VEM mod if someone could get it to work for the AI as well as the human players. Perhaps he would be interested.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

12. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

See, this is why we need better communication. I've had the AI logic for those events working in my own mod for a couple months now, and I posted the logic in here at the start of December, but I haven't talked to Thal since November. At some point I think we need to just make an accounting on what components the major modders have come up with in the course of developing their mods, because lots of little bits have been made as part of bigger mods (nuke interception, units that can move across both water and land, terraforming...) that others might want to use in their own work. If they're integrated too much then no one other than the original creator would be able to break them out into usable components, though.

13. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Agreed Spatzimaus, that would be useful. Should it just be a topic in the main CoC forum?

14. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Sounds like a good idea to me! Where would be a better place for it, mod components or main C&C forum? I'll summarize stuff I've done and post it to the thread, wherever yall decide to create it. :)

15. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I'm thinking the main CoC forum would be better, given that this relates more to the large scale mods.

16. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I think the SDK/Lua mod might be a better home to such a discussion, or even the tutorials one.

17. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Turns out the actions tab pointed at two xml files with VFS=True and the contents tab at two lua files wth VFS=True. The two lua files had Type=InGameUIAddin.

I've set VFS=False for all four files and updated the mod in this thread. I have no idea why they were set to true as this was a remnant from the old versions of the random event mods.

It's funny however that I've never seen any sign of this in all my testing and playing :confused:

\Skodkim

18. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

What usually happens when you have this bug is that Lua functions will execute twice: one with the normal argument list, and a second time with null values for all arguments. As long as you're checking to make sure all inputs are non-null values (OR using something like "return City and City:IsCapital()", where the first part checks to see if it's a valid value) then that second execution won't actually cause any problems. Even if you don't have a check like that, it's possible that the way you used those null values wouldn't cause an actual observable error. So depending on exactly which events you'd tested and how you'd triggered them, it's possible that it was just never having a noticeable effect for you.

Setting gamedata XML to VFS=true is often harmless, although you MIGHT run into conflicts if you're using multiple mods and one of the other mods tries to change some of the things in that particular file. Not sure how this'd manifest in practice, though.

19. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Maybe a loading loopy with no end?
    I dismissed my last game because this

20. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

I'd say SDK/Lua would be the right place. The reason is, we're not talking about adding an entirely intact component (which should therefore go in Mod Components); we're talking about pulling a small bit of logic out of a larger mod to effectively create a component we can use in our own mods. It's more like the following:

Q: "Spatz had nuke interception in his mod. How do you do that?"
    A: "Make a RunCombatSim event that kills the attacking unit; it'll destroy the nuke before it explodes. Do a simple probability draw to decide whether the interception happens. Only downside is that it's not easy to determine which civ was the intended target."

That right there would be enough information that if someone who knew Lua programming saw it, they could make their own nuke interception logic, as long as they were familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of RunCombatSim. They wouldn't need to worry about all of the other issues I've addressed in my own nuke interception code like minimum and maximum percentages. It's not quite as universally useful as the stuff in the references/tutorial section, since most people would probably be perfectly happy if it was just integrated into VEM or something. So you'd get lots of little things like:
    > What to change in TechButtonInclude to make it so that it uses the icon for an Improvement at techs where the improvement's yields increase, instead of that generic starburst
    > How to change CityView to not show certain types of buildings (the zero-cost NoLimit ones some mods use to apply various bonuses/penalties)
    > How to make buildings that subtract Happiness
    That sort of thing. It'd be less about a step-by-step tutorial and more a "tricks of the trade" sharing location.