HOF Mod Support/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, hence the reason I never aim for a table with only one submission unless I know I can beat it. ;)

Well easy way to fix then if table has only 2 submissions second gets 75% and if 3: 75% and 50% and if 5: 75 50 25 and if 5+ well balance it as now. It wont be long and those tables have lots of games as 1) Its easy way to get 70 point conquest [easy, eh!] and 2) Its even easier to drop others down alot when it drops so much. 3) Should be easy to understand and easy to code (well usually when something sounds easy its darn hard, but who cares).

After very short while this modification has made itself obsolete. I really think HoF should encourage to play games that others havent played too much. Or do we have to wait for gauntlets to fill all those slots? This is really big issue in my opinion. As already weve noticed that theres many players that agree that they shun one some games because of this.

Well easy way to fix then if table has only 2 submissions second gets 75% and if 3: 75% and 50% and if 5: 75 50 25 and if 5+ well balance it as now.

I'd have to disagree with this. The above doesn't take into account just how good the additional games are. Take for instance, it wouldn't matter whether the 2nd game was within a turn of 1st place, or 1000 years later, both games would still get a 75 for their BaseQScore.

First, our problem is only for two submissions, so a basis to compare both can only be an estimation.

My suggestions should help for two submissions:

Instead of giving the worse game the lowest value (here 10% of max QScore I guess), we take the worst possible game (victory in 2050 AD) to calculate an average. After that we calculate the QScore of the second game based in this average.
This is not perfect, but it's better than the actual state, because it encourages submissions.

Getting more submissions is what we need and want, isn't it?

I like that. Maybe we always include the worst possible (2050AD) in the calculations no matter how many games are included. The more games that get added, the less the impact that this fake game has.

I'd have to disagree with this. The above doesn't take into account just how good the additional games are. Take for instance, it wouldn't matter whether the 2nd game was within a turn of 1st place, or 1000 years later, both games would still get a 75 for their BaseQScore.

The whole idea was that! If only two players are able to submit a game then second one should be worth alot. You should not compare to the one other score but to the fact that no other player even can do such! Check how many players we have... And as I pointed out this will make itself obsolete as then players will compete in the area even if there is one score that surpasses all others. If this causes problems on lower difficulties do it just for deity+immortal.

Lets think about deity/conquest/bigger maps. Now it really discourages to try as it will take lot of time and you will get most likely 9 pts (nothing as you can get 30 from prince/duel/conq). Well after modification there will be someone trying for the easy 75*.9 (wo barbs) points. Ok that player gets about 68 points for even bad score. Table is open now, there will be others too to submit. Woo! Then scores start to drop. AND finally I suggested that when table has 5+ games it would count scores normally.

If numbers are too high they can be lowered a bit, but that doesn't make sense. As now you can get easily 50 points from deity/mara/duel/conq anyway with inca. Is that 18 extra points so much more??? It's really not.

I also proposed that it could be counted from some larger average of games if that category has few games. As a downside its very hard to understand and harder to implement. Simply 75 for 2nd and 50 for third and 25 for fourth base would be easy and motivate to compete and make itself obsolete.

Moderator Action: Interesting conversation but off-topic to the HOF mod. Better suited for the cheese annex thread.

Spoiler :
Denniz, any chance you've figured out why it is that sometimes loading the HOF mod kicks me back from window mode to full-screen mode?

I didn't know it was doing that. Did you tell me before and I forgot? :confused:

That is a CivilizationIV.ini setting. I wouldn't think that a Mod would affect that. I'll pass the question on to the SDK literate to see if they have a clue.

How do you load the mod? Do you load a save that then casues it to be loaded?

Same here, sometimes.

The .ini settings don't seem to work perfectly on my PC. Especially when I'm switching between vanilla for pbem's and the mod for HoF/GotM.
Somehow it seems as if the whole .ini settings reset themselves to default every now and then.

lol yeah, I told you back when you had me testing the chopping fix, back when the GOTM was just starting to use the HOF mod. You said you'd put it on the backburner since it wasn't a major issue and didn't happen every time....I guess the backburner lost its fuel supply? :p

It is a CivIV.ini setting, but sometimes when I load the mod it resets it to Full-screen...I then have to switch it back, close out the game and restart it.

It does this at random intervals when I load the mod manually from the main menu, when I load it by loading a save game, and when I start up Civilization by double-clicking a save.

i'd go nuts if i couldn't do windowed mode and not have to minimize civ when i tab out! for me, the game gets weird in that the window resizes, so i have to click on the little box up in the right hand corner to make it cover the whole window (but i have my task bar set to always show up). but that happens whether i'm using the mod or not, and it's every single time, and not very annoying i'm just used to it by now. i have the .ini set to fullscreen = 0 and it's been fine. there is an option to set it to "ask" instead of 0/1, have you tried that Thrallia?

I haven't messed with the .ini file, I just assumed that if I change the setting in the game, it changes the .ini file. That seems to be true since it generally does load in windowed mode...but every once in awhile it decides to do its own thing and load up in full-screen.

I just brought it up again because it happened 3 times over the weekend, which is more than usual.

I think I might have found the problem with the ini-file. As long as you load the game through the shortcut or the .exe file, nothing goes wrong. However if you start up the game by clicking the play button on the pop-up that appears when you enter the cd into the player, civ resets the whole .ini file to default.

I cannot play the WOTMs. I download the HOF mod everytime and download the save (or just run it sometimes) and it does not work. The HOF is saved in the mod file. Why does mine not work? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I have vista?

I cannot play the WOTMs. I download the HOF mod everytime and download the save (or just run it sometimes) and it does not work. The HOF is saved in the mod file. Why does mine not work? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I have vista?
I know of players using the HOF Mod on Vista. What error are you getting?

Make sure Civ4 Vanilla is patched to 1.61 and Warlords is patched to 2.08.

Also note that in vista you may have to manually download and run both the 1.61 and 2.08 patches... the autopatcher from inside game does not always work in vista

I think I might have found the problem with the ini-file. As long as you load the game through the shortcut or the .exe file, nothing goes wrong. However if you start up the game by clicking the play button on the pop-up that appears when you enter the cd into the player, civ resets the whole .ini file to default.

Doesn't happen for me...the .Civ loads up in window mode every time I start the game, no matter how I start it...with a save, with the .exe, with a shortcut, or with the play button...but sometimes, when I load the mod, it loads it up in full-screen mode, after having been window mode when I told it to load the mod...the times it loads up in full-screen mode tend to happen more often when I load up the mod when I'm already in the game than when I start it up directly into the mod from a save....it does happen sometimes, but not very often.

Note to self: investigate adding option to Save on 'End Turn'. Also, look at other hot spots liable to cause crashes to see if saving there is possible.

Other than crashes happen between selecting "End Turn" and gaining control to move again, etc., what things/actions are prone to causing your computer to crash?

Opening the city screen is probably one, but it may be too much to wait for a save each time. What do you guys think?

Anything else?

I've had crashes when a diplo screen popped up (not in HoF mod though), but that was on an interturn anyway.

One of the few crashes I've had was when I traded maps with an AI...takes a long time to trade maps sometimes.

One of the few crashes I've had was when I traded maps with an AI...takes a long time to trade maps sometimes.

True, I've noticed that trading maps will not only lead to crashes, but will also make the game go slower after the trade.

I am trying to play HOF for my first time but every time I start up a game with all the settings set for vanilla civ4, the game says in red letters something like: Invalid HOF file, Check victory settings for details. I've retryed it about 5 times and it still doesn't work. Please HELP ME>:mad: :mad: :sad: :sad:

I am trying to play HOF for my first time but every time I start up a game with all the settings set for vanilla civ4, the game says in red letters something like: Invalid HOF file, Check victory settings for details. I've retryed it about 5 times and it still doesn't work. Please HELP ME>

I am trying to play HOF for my first time but every time I start up a game with all the settings set for vanilla civ4, the game says in red letters something like: Invalid HOF file, Check victory settings for details. I've retryed it about 5 times and it still doesn't work. Please HELP ME>:mad: :mad: :sad: :sad:
Okay, I'll help. :) Did you go to the victory screen and look the setting tab to see what it says is wrong?

One common problem is not setting Locked Modified Assets. You should use "Custom Game" to start your game so you can check that option.

Another common problem is when player install mods to their civ4 install paths instead of customassets under My Games (assets are different message). If that has happened, the easiest way to fix it is to uninstall both Civ4 Vanilla and Warlords, delete anything left behind, reinstall and repatch.

Let me know if none of this helps.

BTW, you should use the HOF Mod Support/Suggestions thread for these kind of questions. I have that thread subscribed to so it send e-mails.

Good luck and welcome to the Hall of Fame. :band:

I am trying to play HOF for my first time but every time I start up a game with all the settings set for vanilla civ4, the game says in red letters something like: Invalid HOF file, Check victory settings for details. I've retryed it about 5 times and it still doesn't work. Please HELP ME>
I replied over in the HOF IV Update thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom