HOF Mod Support/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Has anyone used this mod for mplayer games? Is there anything special we have to do (aside from everyone loading up the mod before playing)?

Thx
jonpfl

It's only suitable for single player games, and it has the single player only flag set because of this.

It's only suitable for single player games, and it has the single player only flag set because of this.

What happens if I unset the single player only flag and I make sure everyone is using the mod?

Since I started using this mod, I do not want to go back playing w/o it!

Thx
jonpfl

What happens if I unset the single player only flag and I make sure everyone is using the mod?

Since I started using this mod, I do not want to go back playing w/o it!

Thx
jonpfl
A lot of the mods assume Player/Team 0 for the human player. I would expect a lot of weird unpredictable results. It is simply was not intended for Multiplayer play. Sorry.

I suggested this for some Mac players who wanted to use it for multi-player games. I seem to recall the main issues were with the Foreign Adviser, as he assumes you are player zero, so gets very confused. I guess he may even give away spoiler info to your opponents!

Are you speaking of the guantlet web page? I didm't think we show QScores prior to publication as they can change.

Yes, just that. I know they could change but it would give estimation of how well you performed without giving out exact dates. To avoid possibility to count real dates it could be shown only after 4 or so games. Occured to be when I improved current Gmin from 300bc to 900bc and position didn't change.

Edit: At least could we have that shown for completed gauntlets if not for running ones?

-Dracandross

We've deliberated over what to spoil and what not to spoil in active Gauntlets at great length in the past, and I'm not really inclined to reopen that can of worms at this time.

We'll have enough changes ahead of us when BTS is released...

When regenerating repeatedly, either manually or by using Map Finder, I often run into a situation where I can't regenerate, even if I didn't make any moves, and I am still at 4000BC. When this happens, the Map Finder just stops, and the Regenerate button is not present in the menu anymore.

It is kind of annoying if you start Map Finder before you go to bed, just to find out the next morning that it stopped after 15 minutes. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

When regenerating repeatedly, either manually or by using Map Finder, I often run into a situation where I can't regenerate, even if I didn't make any moves, and I am still at 4000BC. When this happens, the Map Finder just stops, and the Regenerate button is not present in the menu anymore.

It is kind of annoying if you start Map Finder before you go to bed, just to find out the next morning that it stopped after 15 minutes. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

This typically happens when either you or an AI has made contact with someone. At that point you can't regenerate and have to start the regen process over again. I don't know of any way to get around it.
Yeah, there is a bug in Civ4 where it doesn't clear contacts when it regenerates. So the HOF Mod disables regeneration whenever 2 civs are in contact.

Some map types, sea level, number of players, etc. combinations you can leave running over night. Others you have to babysit a little.

I like to save the initial map I generated from custom games and just reload that and restart mapfinder. It is a lot faster than going back through custom games again. (HOF Mod has a fix that re-randomizes things so regenerate from a given map will never regenerate a same map as it did the first time.)

Is it possible to add information to the city screen which shows how near cottages/hamlets/villages are to growth level?

You can tediously get this info by changing your worked tile, exiting the city screen, hovering over the tile and seeing how many turns you need to work the tile for.

Is it possible to add information to the city screen which shows how near cottages/hamlets/villages are to growth level?

You can tediously get this info by changing your worked tile, exiting the city screen, hovering over the tile and seeing how many turns you need to work the tile for.
I don't know if the city screen is in python or part of the exe. Adding to the screen is another question if it is in python.

It seems to me that the size/image of the cottages, etc. are different. I wonder if some kind of graphics mod to emphasize the differences might be in order.

You could just use text though, like 2/10 or whatever on a cottage tile.

The graphics are different but I think they stay the same until they grow a level... or does it build up slowly? I haven't really looked that closely.

You could just use text though, like 2/10 or whatever on a cottage tile.

The graphics are different but I think they stay the same until they grow a level... or does it build up slowly? I haven't really looked that closely.
Yeah guess the image only changes with level. No help there.

Getting the text there would be the issue or rather finding the place where you can do that. The information doesn't sound that useful since you can't really affect the the rate of growth except with one civic, I think.

I build cottages that I don't work sometimes (for later working), and if I switch to working a mine and then back to working a cottage tile I'd rather work the one that is closest to growing and I forget which tiles I have worked already... that's why I suggested this feature really. I dunno if "maximise commerce" does that automatically, I don't really use those buttons.

I build cottages that I don't work sometimes (for later working), and if I switch to working a mine and then back to working a cottage tile I'd rather work the one that is closest to growing and I forget which tiles I have worked already... that's why I suggested this feature really. I dunno if "maximise commerce" does that automatically, I don't really use those buttons.
That makes sense. You really like to micromange. :eek: I know maximize commerce works the tiles that bring the most gold. I don't know if it is smart enough to choose the oldest among equals. That should be easy enough to test in your game.

Personally, I use the maximize production and commerce buttons when I want to micromanage. I have always figured the Governor did a good enough job. But then I'm nowhere near being a top player either. ;)

In any case, I have your request on my list for the next time I am working on the mod. I'll see what's possible then.

Personally, I use the maximize production and commerce buttons when I want to micromanage. I have always figured the Governor did a good enough job. But then I'm nowhere near being a top player either. ;)

A lot of times after I set my worked tiles, I will hit a button just to see what the governor will do. Sometimes it helps getting an extra commerce or two.

Suggestion for new (?) feature

I'm sorry if I'm repeating an old request, but one thing that I miss from this excellent Mod pack is getting a notice when an AI discovers a new tech (which he will not / cannot trade). I find myself spending a lot of time in the diplomacy screens, and one thing I check for each turn is if the AI has learned something new. Example: Stalin the Slow is behind me in tech, and I'm capturing his cities. I check each turn if he has learned Feudalism. Another example: Qin the Quick is happy to trade his tech with his friends. I've allocated lots of scientists to boost my research so that I can discover a tech that I can trade and hope to learn the tech before Qin. I check the technology screen each turn and will fire my scientists if Qin is quicker than me. Does this make sense? Keep up the good work :goodjob:

I seem to remember this being asked before, but is there any way to remember your opponents from the previous game in the game setup screen? Just so I dont have to scroll through and select them again? This would save quite a lot of time.

Suggestion for new (?) feature

I'm sorry if I'm repeating an old request, but one thing that I miss from this excellent Mod pack is getting a notice when an AI discovers a new tech (which he will not / cannot trade). I find myself spending a lot of time in the diplomacy screens, and one thing I check for each turn is if the AI has learned something new. Example: Stalin the Slow is behind me in tech, and I'm capturing his cities. I check each turn if he has learned Feudalism. Another example: Qin the Quick is happy to trade his tech with his friends. I've allocated lots of scientists to boost my research so that I can discover a tech that I can trade and hope to learn the tech before Qin. I check the technology screen each turn and will fire my scientists if Qin is quicker than me. Does this make sense? Keep up the good work :goodjob:
This might be possible. I will put it on the wish list.

I seem to remember this being asked before, but is there any way to remember your opponents from the previous game in the game setup screen? Just so I dont have to scroll through and select them again? This would save quite a lot of time.
I don't know that we have access to the setup screen in either the SDK or Python.

Of course, a much simpler approach is to just load the 4000BC save with the settings you want and regenerate. With the HOF Mod, it doesn't generate the same map each time from a given save. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom