HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Thanks Ozbenno. That got me started. Had to go through the process of disabling Google desktop to get use of Ctl-Alt-G.

Then things got weird. When I got to the Map Editor inside Civ it told me the save path was illegal. So I tried to change the save path (from the Map Editor) but got the message that only the default save path was supported by BUFFY.

Err.. Well, I thought, I'll uninstall the Map Editor from \MyGames\ and and reinstall it in \ProgramFiles\ where the save path is pointing (according to the message from inside Civ). Unfortunately back inside Civ it had changed the save path to \MyGames\. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the Map Editor into \MyGames\ just switched it back to the original. So I installed the Map Editor to both locations and now it's happy(ish).

The saves are sent to \ProgramFiles\ but I have to moving the saves across to \MyGames\ before they register inside the Map Editor. Not elegant but working.

The down side is that it does not display a view from inside the Map Editor but only a black (blank) space or a shot of Buffy loading (the init sequence). It would be really nice to get this working properly.

The down side is that it does not display a view from inside the Map Editor but only a black (blank) space or a shot of Buffy loading (the init sequence). It would be really nice to get this working properly.

This is an issue with Vista/Win 7. To get around it, change the "windowed mode" setting in your civ.ini file to start Civ in a window. You should actually see the map if you do this.

Okay, I found Sun Tzu Wu's post about running in a window rather than fullscreen for Vista and that fixes the visual problem. :) Still pretty weird that I have to have the Map Finder (pardon the misnaming earlier) installed in two locations. :dunno:

I've been playing a few time games, which I haven't dabbled in much before. I have been playing with no barbs, but in two to three of my games, in the later years I've encountered one or two barbarian marine units that pluck a few of my fishing boats before I realize they're there. For what it's worth, random events are also turned off.

Is there a legitimate explanation for how a barbarian can exist with barbs turned off, or is this a bug?

I've been playing a few time games, which I haven't dabbled in much before. I have been playing with no barbs, but in two to three of my games, in the later years I've encountered one or two barbarian marine units that pluck a few of my fishing boats before I realize they're there. For what it's worth, random events are also turned off.

Is there a legitimate explanation for how a barbarian can exist with barbs turned off, or is this a bug?
pirates!
you know those units you use to make the AIs life a nightmare...
sometimes the AI do build some privateers too ;)

It seems there's something wrong with my "bts assets" (I got an ingame error message in the victory screen saying I can't submit to HOF because of that). I don't understand why, because I did a clean install with Bts 3.19, then installed Buffy 3.19 mod.

Here's the message I got using a small binary I found in an old thread:

Civ4 installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 CompleteWarlords installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\WarlordsBTS installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword
Searching for files
Found 568 files
Calculating individual CRCs
Calculating EXE CRCs
Calculating DLL CRCs
Calculating Shader CRCs
Calculating Python CRCs
Calculating XML CRCs
HOF Mod not found

Civ4 Installed assets all good!
Warlords Installed assets all good!
Errors found with BTS installed assets"

Does someone know why ?

It seems there's something wrong with my "bts assets" (I got an ingame error message in the victory screen saying I can't submit to HOF because of that). I don't understand why, because I did a clean install with Bts 3.19, then installed Buffy 3.19 mod.

Here's the message I got using a small binary I found in an old thread:

Civ4 installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 CompleteWarlords installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\WarlordsBTS installed at:
D:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword
Searching for files
Found 568 files
Calculating individual CRCs
Calculating EXE CRCs
Calculating DLL CRCs
Calculating Shader CRCs
Calculating Python CRCs
Calculating XML CRCs
HOF Mod not found

Civ4 Installed assets all good!
Warlords Installed assets all good!
Errors found with BTS installed assets"

Does someone know why ?
Try our AssetChecker.

Gauntlet score ranking bug!

(From GMajor 72 thread).

According to my submission details, my game http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=20449 got a Gauntlet score of 23.813 which should be my 2nd best major gauntlet score, but it isn't showing up on my status page, it shows this game http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=14263
(gauntlet score 21.396) instead

EDIT: And EQM gauntlet scores look totally off too.

My best gauntlet game doesn't match the reported points either

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=9420

That game is showing up as 30.4 even though it should be 37.375?

No comment about this? Is it a HoF scoring bug or is it intended this way?

The HOF EQM Gauntlet tab is currently empty. There are no Scores or Player Names displayed here at all:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/quattromasters_elite.php?show=gauntlet&pubID=-1&dsply=0&QMLevel=Deity

The Gauntlet area of my EQM status page is also void of entries.

Sun Tzu Wu
Remember the comment I made in the other thread about shared code with gauntlets? It gets used for in QM and EQM stuff too. Only, I didn't expect the little change I made to have that any effect where it did. :crazyeye: Fixed now.

Hello

Is there some reason why some games are listed in the Quattromaster status tab and not in the Elite Quattromaster status tab ?

For example: games #20030 and #20647 don't seem to count for my EQM.

Hello

Is there some reason why some games are listed in the Quattromaster status tab and not in the Elite Quattromaster status tab ?

For example: games #20030 and #20647 don't seem to count for my EQM.

There is indeed :mischief:

Those two games are not ancient era starts. To be eligible for every EQM category except Rock of Ages, the games must be Ancient Era starts (and not Inca). There is no such restriction on QM games.

Hope this answers your question :)

Is there a reason there is not an option to "stay logged on" for the HOF page? It logs me out every time I close my browser.

Is there a reason there is not an option to "stay logged on" for the HOF page? It logs me out every time I close my browser.
The orginal designers didn't include that option. They have moved on, so I don't know if they even considered it. I will say, I think that this the first time in the 3 years or so that I've been on the HOF staff that anyone has mentioned it.

CFC uses bulletin board software. The HOF Site is custom developed. For me, my browser remembers my Id/Password. At this point, I don't see a powerful need to mess with it. :scan:

The orginal designers didn't include that option. They have moved on, so I don't know if they even considered it. I will say, I think that this the first time in the 3 years or so that I've been on the HOF staff that anyone has mentioned it.

CFC uses bulletin board software. The HOF Site is custom developed. For me, my browser remembers my Id/Password. At this point, I don't see a powerful need to mess with it. :scan:

I strive to be different :)

Yeah, I figured the HOF site was different from CFC. I don't like having the browser's remember id/pwd settings on for security reasons.

It would be nice to have the feature, but I have not a clue as to all that would go into something like that.

I strive to be different :)

Yeah, I figured the HOF site was different from CFC. I don't like having the browser's remember id/pwd settings on for security reasons.
Not sure your HOF Site password is much of security risk. :mischief:

It would be nice to have the feature, but I have not a clue as to all that would go into something like that.
Me either. ;)

Not sure your HOF Site password is much of security risk.

I'm by no means a master hacker, but I think most people use some general themes in creating passwords. I've just never been comfortable with that feature.

I'm by no means a master hacker, but I think most people use some general themes in creating passwords. I've just never been comfortable with that feature.
I was reading an article the other day about protecting your data on a laptop if it is lost or stolen. One of the things they talked about was using disk encryption since your hard-drive is an open book to certain forensic programs. Point to you. They also said that there are password cracker programs that can make short work of most people's passwords. Not sure who gets that point but it sure is disturbing. I guess random passwords with letters, numbers, and special characters are safest.

Top Bottom