1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, Mar 25, 2007.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Hmmm.... so if I want to inflate my QM score I should go back to all those empty-slot filling games and do them again? :eek:

Probably more points for me to grab by playing better in some gauntlets, though.

2. Thalatta

Thalatta Imperialistic

HOF info lists Rising Seas as optional, but BUFFY mod says that it's not acceptable. Which one is correct?

3. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

It is optional. The user setting file must be set wrong.

4. Denniz

Both of these issues are interrelated. They result was from an issue with average date being zero for a table. This can happen when only one player is on a table, only two players on a table are tied, or when the dates actually average to zero (i.e. 120 BC & 120 AD).

The underlying bug was caused by tests to prevent divide by zero errors. I have corrected the tests. The proper scores for QM and EQM will show for these entries now. The QScore Query and Game_info now will also display the score information correctly as a consequence.

BTW, the 10 and .3 scores were the QM values for those games since the Phantom Date wasn't being applied for the EQM average dates for those games. You can see those scores on the Game_info page now.

5. Denniz

I mistated the case of tied scores, or only one player on a table, giving the other games on the table 100 scores in QM. I institued the phantom date for those to keep only the #1 games scoring 100.

When we implemented Phantom date for EQM, we never intended to use it for QM as that competition had been around for quite awhile and we didn't want to change anything there. But for this case, it is the only way to fix the bug allowing a player to get multiple 100 scores for a given table.

6. Zubbus

Zubbus Antarctican Predator

Right. I installed Civ4 a while ago. Installed HOF mod. Installed BUG Mod. Then I set BUG Mod to run on start.

Now I installed the latest Civ patch, and I installed Buffy Mod. And now BUG Mod still runs itself on start. I have to unload it, load Buffy to play HoF. That's starting the game 3 times in a row. And when my computer crashes now and then, this is really not amusing.

So what is going on with the mods? Is there any chance that the BUG Mod that is still loading includes Buffy mod or whatever make it eligible for HOF?

7. ajw2255

ajw2255 Chieftain

8. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Why don't you simply edit it so it auto-starts with the Buffy mod instead? Go into your CivilizationIV.ini and make the below modifications:

Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
    Mod = Mods\HOF-x.xx.xxx

Obviously alter the x's to which ever version you prefer.

9. Denniz

There are several ways to control which mod runs at start. I updated the link that ajw2255 posted to make it clearer.

10. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

I have been running BUFFY Mod 3.19.001 with no problems on a Windows XP machine. Just upgraded to a new machine with Windows 7 and when attempting to run Civ IV BTS with the BUFFY 3.19.001 mod, I get an error message saying the game cannot be saved for HOF use as I need to be logged in as the machines administrator to do so. Problem is, I am the administrator and have full admin rights. How do I solve this? I was in the middle of my first intended HOF game and want to complete the game. Even if not, I also get the error when attempting to start a new game. Thanks.

11. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

The default administrator account on Vista has been nerfed to reduce the chances of security breach. It probably still works like this on MS Windows 7.

Try creating another account on your system and give that account administrator privileges.

I have MS Windows 7 64 bit on my laptop with second account set up with administrator privilege as described above for Vista. I have no problems with any of the BUFFY mods. BTW, the current BUFFY mod for HOF use is BUFFY-3.19.003.

The only issue with BtS and BUFFY that remains is Map Finder will only work correctly when BtS is in windowed mode as opposed to full screen mode. This issue causes JPG files created to show the Windows screen rather than the BtS custom screen when in full screen mode.

For further information about Civ4/WL/BtS issues running on Vista and MS Windows 7, see:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Sun Tzu Wu

12. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

I did create another user as administrator. My original username logs into the domain, so I tried creating a local user as admin. I was not able to locate the saved files (logging in as seperate user - probably could of found them if I searched real hard), but even when trying to start a new game with BUFFY mod, I got the same error.

13. Denniz

Did you do all the Vista/Win 7 fixes?

14. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

--->> oops! wrong forum! <<---

15. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

I did get it fixed, and have other problems now. I wanted to share with others that may expereince the same problem about the HOF error message. I tried uninstalling to reinstall and had a problem uninstalling. Found someones post on another Windows 7 forum on how to delete all files, then clear the registry by searching for and deleting all "civ4" and all "civilization" entries. I then did a clean install, but not by running the autoplay on the CD. Rather had to right click on setup.exe and click to Run as Administrator. That solved the HOF error message problem.

I am still having problems however in that the game is blowing up on me and Windows 7 indicates it experienced a problem and needed to close. One time it did not close it, but my mouse changed to an unusable icon - Closing Civ 4 BTS was not enough, had to reboot the machine to fix the mouse. I did also get BSOD several times - htought Blue Screens were gone when XP came out? This occurs at random times - not during a battle, just whenever moving an item, clicking into a city, etc - random times. I am thinking it has to do with the new video card. I saw on a forum proiblems with DirectX 11 and run the recommended file found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en Does anyone know any compatability issues with ATI Radeon HD3400? I remember a similar problem years ago with Civ 3 and changing the resolution solved the problem, but I've now attempted 4 different resolution settings. Help anyone?

Following up with same problem, I did change out video card to Gigabyte/Nvidia GeForce 7300SE which was the card I ran BtS on my XP machine with no problems. Few minutes in and I blue screen again with Bad_Pool_Header erroor. Any hep for me wiht this problem? Or should I be looking in another forum?

16. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

MS Windows 7 is certainly not perfect by any measure, but you certainly should not be getting any BSOD. The OS will still slip into a partially functional mode where it is still running, but no applications will run properly or start up properly. That's happened to me on MS Windows Vista 32 bit and MS Windows 7 64 bit a few times, but a reboot always fixed it. It's probably just a new version MS Windows rot that doesn't allow the machine to run properly for more than a few weeks straight. Compare that to a Linux machine that will run a few years or more without a single reboot!

However, your BSODs suggests a more serious problem. If you get BSODs trying to run other applications besides Civ4, your OS becomes more suspect. You may need a clean install of MS Windows 7 or back off to a previously known good shotsnap of the OS.

The BSODs could be the result of bad video device drivers as you suspected. Changing the video cards and corresponding video device drivers should fix, assuming one isn't simply swapping out one set of bad video device drivers for another bad set.

BTW, I use an ATI HD2400 (Vista 32 bit) and ATI HD4200 (MS W7 64 bit) without any trouble at all.
    Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu

17. Denniz

Are you running Civ4 in compatability mode? You can also try posting in the Civ4 - Technical Support.

18. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Gauntlet score ranking bug!

(From GMajor 72 thread).

According to my submission details, my game http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=20449 got a Gauntlet score of 23.813 which should be my 2nd best major gauntlet score, but it isn't showing up on my status page, it shows this game http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=14263
    (gauntlet score 21.396) instead

EDIT: And EQM gauntlet scores look totally off too.

My best gauntlet game doesn't match the reported points either

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?entryID=9420

That game is showing up as 30.4 even though it should be 37.375?

19. feelotraveller

feelotraveller Chieftain

Hi. I'm new to the HoF and can't seem to get the Map Editor to run from within BtS.

I've installed the Map Editor and can run it from the desktop but when I try (Alt-M) to run it from within cIV I get an option to post an in game reminder instead. Any tips on what I should do to get to the map editor?

I'm running BtS 3.19 with the Buffy 3.19.003 mod and don't seem to have any other problems with these (even though I'm on Vista!).

Any help would be much appreciated.

20. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Under BUFFY, map finder has become Ctl-Alt-G to start and Ctl-Alt-Sft-G to finish.