Hostile Villagers .-.

Proofeta

Chieftain
I was happy to beat Ragnar's scout to the hut when...

We both died, my brave warrior killed 2 barbs.

Usually I only get 2 barbs for hostile villagers, is that normal?
And do you pop your huts only with scouts? (warrior finds huts, scout goes there and pop them)

It happens.

I do pop huts with warriors, because I usually don't have a scout. Even if I did, getting a scout there might make me not only lose out on other exploration but also lose the hut itself. Popping huts with warriors is fine, most results are positive.

The most hostiles I've seen is five, so six isn't too surprising.

As for your second question, if you find a hut with your warrior and don't take it there and then, I usually find that it gets swiped pretty fast by AI scouts.

Most annoying hut scenario ever: warrior finds hut. It gives him a map. Not great, but map reveals whereabouts of another hut. Warrior goes there and pops another map. Again useless, but yet another hut is revealed! Two huts, net gain zero. However, the third hut musts be good, right? Warrior follows the treasure map to the third hut, pops the sucker, and gets cudgelled to death by the hostiles lying in ambush. It was a trap! :(

Usually I only get 2 barbs for hostile villagers, is that normal?
And do you pop your huts only with scouts? (warrior finds huts, scout goes there and pop them)

1) There are two flavors of barbarians - GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK and GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG. Actual number of barbs they spring depends on number of adjacent land tiles, dice rolls, but in each case there's an expected floor (of 1 or 2, respectively). But you could get up to 8 with spectacularly unlucky dice rolls.

2) In most cases I'd rather pop the hut than be beaten to it, but my usual preference is to pop it with a cultural border, then scouts, then others. The contents of a hut depend on the unit popping it being able to get that benefit - using cultural borders eliminates the "risk" of drawing a heal or promotion, improving the chances of getting a tech.

The most hostiles I've seen is five, so six isn't too surprising.

As for your second question, if you find a hut with your warrior and don't take it there and then, I usually find that it gets swiped pretty fast by AI scouts.

Most annoying hut scenario ever: warrior finds hut. It gives him a map. Not great, but map reveals whereabouts of another hut. Warrior goes there and pops another map. Again useless, but yet another hut is revealed! Two huts, net gain zero. However, the third hut musts be good, right? Warrior follows the treasure map to the third hut, pops the sucker, and gets cudgelled to death by the hostiles lying in ambush. It was a trap! :(

It has happened to me :mad:

The worst is when this happens really close to the capital, they are allowed to beeline right into your capital and since you just got your starting warrior killed there is absolutely no way to defend yourself, you're dead.

The worst is when this happens really close to the capital, they are allowed to beeline right into your capital and since you just got your starting warrior killed there is absolutely no way to defend yourself, you're dead.

I thought hostile villagers couldn't pop within 8 tiles of your capital. Or is "really close" further than 8 tiles?

An 8 tile limit doesn't make you safe. Hut pops, and some barbs spring what, 7 tiles away from your capital. These barbs will then WANDER right after killing your warrior. If they happen to wander next to your culture border, GFL.

So I guess don't pop huts 8 tiles from your cap with a warrior unless you can get a warrior ready in time?

I suppose having one warrior versus 4 barbarian warrior may not help a lot. Especially, it will not help to protect your worke, and settling will be a lot harder too.

But I don't really have a way around thoses huts. 6 or 8 barbarian can really kill a game quickly.

So I guess don't pop huts 8 tiles from your cap with a warrior unless you can get a warrior ready in time?

Problem with that is you let the AI's grab even more free techs when going the safe-route.

Three or four times I've seen rivals wiped out, the capital city in barbarian hands, but abandoned. Twice, there was a religion founded in the city :). So nice to find. I am guessing how it happened is as Obsolete describes here.

Top Bottom