House Republicans Vote to Release Secret Memo on Russia Inquiry

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Nunes Memo They one they wrote WITHOUT reading the FBI report that it is based on.
I only posted some extracts but click NYT to read the whole thing.

1) Claim that FBI abused FISA warrent because granted warrent based on the solely Steele oped research
2) Claim that Rosenstein a Trump appointee signed off on surveillance of Page as an abuse of power
3) GOP using this as pretext to open up congressional investigation into the FBI

You'd thing Nunes burnt any crediability after rushing to Trump stunt and then lying about how he had secret information on the FBI.

House Republicans Vote to Release Secret Memo on Russia Inquiry

WASHINGTON — Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee, disregarding Justice Department warnings that their actions would be “extraordinarily reckless,” voted Monday evening to release a contentious secret memorandum said to accuse the department and the F.B.I. of misusing their authority to obtain a secret surveillance order on a former Trump campaign associate.

The vote, made along party lines, threw fuel on an already fiery partisan conflict over the investigations into Russia’s brazen meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Republicans invoked a power never before used by the secretive committee to effectively declassify the memo that they had compiled. It was an extraordinary maneuver, cheered on by President Trump, who has repeatedly dismissed the Russia investigation as a “witch hunt” and a sham.

People familiar with the underlying application have portrayed the Republican memo as misleading in part, they say, because Mr. Steele’s information was insufficient to meet the standard for a FISA warrant.They said the application drew on other intelligence material that the Republican memo selectively omits. That other information remains highly sensitive, and releasing it would risk burning other sources and methods of intelligence-gathering about Russia.

Until this past weekend, the committee had refused to let anyone from the Justice Department or the F.B.I., who provided the materials underlying the memo, review it. Representative Devin Nunes of California relented on Sunday, allowing Christopher A. Wray, the F.B.I. director, to review the document. But Mr. Schiff said later in the day that Mr. Wray had conveyed to him that he still had concerns about its release.

In a letter last week to Mr. Nunes, the committee’s Republican chairman, Stephen E. Boyd, an assistant attorney general, said it would be “extraordinarily reckless” to release a memo drawing on classified information without official review. He said the department is “unaware of any wrongdoing related to the FISA process.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/...ans.html?hp&target=comments#commentsContainer

Funny how the party that pretended to be for openness, freedom of the press, and control of overreaching intelligence agencies is now (or rather, ever since they succeeded Bush) all for state secrecy, and the party that was all for state secrecy and the three letter agencies is now for investigating some of what they did (and only some). Americans will have a lot of trouble reining in the bureaucracy in the imperial court. No legislators with the spine for doing another Church Committee. They are just fighting over who gets to use and abuse the powers of that bureaucracy.

Have you seen the other party ?

The "secret memo" is b.s. just made up by Rep. Nunes as every honest person agrees. You will notice Republicans did not release the rebuttle which exposes Nunes's fraud because this is nothing more than partisan nonsense designed by Republicans to distract from the reality of the GOP's treason against the country.

I wonder if they can discredit the FBI enough to get my convictions overturned.

Funny how the party that pretended to be for openness, freedom of the press, and control of overreaching intelligence agencies is now (or rather, ever since they succeeded Bush) all for state secrecy, and the party that was all for state secrecy and the three letter agencies is now for investigating some of what they did (and only some). Americans will have a lot of trouble reining in the bureaucracy in the imperial court. No legislators with the spine for doing another Church Committee. They are just fighting over who gets to use and abuse the powers of that bureaucracy.

This memo doesn't contain "state secrets" and the Republicans' "investigation" is entirely nonsensical.

I don't know about "state secrets" but, actually, it evidently does contain confidential information that the DoJ and FBI believe could compromise sources and methods.

Top Bottom