Votes: 27 21.1%
  • stronger than Rise and Fall but manageable

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • just right

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • I want more barbarians!

Votes: 22 17.2%

• Total voters
I've found them to be pretty strong, and definitely more aggressive. There have been moments where I have been attacked by four scouts at once, and that's even with clearing all the camps near me. I've seen the AI overwhelmed in the early game, unable to cope with camps spawning near them. It takes a bit of adjustment, but I'm not unhappy with the result.

I've found them to be pretty strong, and definitely more aggressive. There have been moments where I have been attacked by four scouts at once, and that's even with clearing all the camps near me. I've seen the AI overwhelmed in the early game, unable to cope with camps spawning near them. It takes a bit of adjustment, but I'm not unhappy with the result.

I'm not that concerned about it, except that the AI has difficulty coping with it. It probably needs to be toned down for their sake.

That said, it's manageable and lucrative to be grabbing all these camps.

In the game that I started last night the barbarian volume was way higher than I'm used to from R&F. Not unmanageable (and, as you said, lucrative), but I couldn't let my guard down for a second. Also, the camps would often just respawn in the same or a similar place that I'd just cleared.

Is the barb spawn rate difficulty dependent?

I think whats happening is that the game is overdoing it on one continent and ignoring another continent. I noticed with a Maori playthrough that I was constantly getting barbs but the other continent I explored never once generated barbs in 75 turns.

It's all over the place for me. I've had starts where I do not see any at all. In my latest game of Mali, I've been fighting them non-stop for about 200 hundred turns. I'm happy the upped the EXP per kill. I've actually had a scout get the Ambush promotion (had to upgrade though but still).

That's odd. My mods enabled themselves. I was wondering why I was getting so much exp from killing barbs.

My last game I had a small continent to myself with 1 CS; & there were none. Didn't get any of the related boosts!

I think whats happening is that the game is overdoing it on one continent and ignoring another continent.

There may be something to this. In my Hungary game I was getting barb spawns 2 tiles away from my cleared camp in the fog of war the turn after clearing a camp. But when I conquered the civs on the other continent, no barb camps spawned over there. Maybe they stop spawning in a certain era?

Barb skirmishers are annoying because they were attacking my warriors and scouts on guard duty. You can't just leave them passive. The only solution I found was to fog bust every single tile on my continent. And eventually I did it.

I want to give a shoutout to my fog busting crew. Eventually my borders grew I probably could have relieved a couple of these guys from duty. These are just 2 ares I was protecting, I was also protecting the North Coast, the East coast, and some areas in the middle. You kept us safe guys:

There may be something to this. In my Hungary game I was getting barb spawns 2 tiles away from my cleared camp in the fog of war the turn after clearing a camp. But when I conquered the civs on the other continent, no barb camps spawned over there. Maybe they stop spawning in a certain era?

Barb skirmishers are annoying because they were attacking my warriors and scouts on guard duty. You can't just leave them passive. The only solution I found was to fog bust every single tile on my continent. And eventually I did it.

I want to give a shoutout to my fog busting crew. Eventually my borders grew I probably could have relieved a couple of these guys from duty. These are just 2 ares I was protecting, I was also protecting the North Coast, the East coast, and some areas in the middle. You kept us safe guys:

You know forts do that too, right? They can be built outside your territory and give sight even when unoccupied.

I wonder if it's different based on the map script/size chosen.

If anyone is collecting data, my one play on Standard size, Continents yields quite a few more Barbarians than I had previously seen but it was in the manageable level (ie, had to use fog busters etc, but was still able to expand fairly normally).

With GS I've not encountered any of those overpowered barbarians that come at you with horses in turn 5. That's improvement!

Spawn rates are through the roof though. Playing continents or pangea doesn't make any difference. If I kill a camp another one pops up instantly - never encountered that in R&F.

You know forts do that too, right? They can be built outside your territory and give sight even when unoccupied.

I may actually have to look into that. I admit I never use forts, I may build them for the eureka boost on occasion, but I usually pull them up with a builder. Won't the barbarians just occupy my forts?

I may actually have to look into that. I admit I never use forts, I may build them for the eureka boost on occasion, but I usually pull them up with a builder. Won't the barbarians just occupy my forts?

They may pillage it, but they won't stay in it.

There's 3 problems with forts

1) sight range is short, even on hills

2) Mil Engineers only have 2 charges

3) you can't put them on woods, rainforest, or marsh

It definitely seems like something is fishy.

In my only GS game before I've been surrounded by barbs. My troops will clear a camp, march off to clear another, and a new camp will pop insanely quickly in the exact same spot I cleared. I'm lucky that I have 3 city states in close proximity as they've done a nice job helping to hold the barbs in check.

It's actually been ok with me because it has made the ancient age a lot more exciting. It also made it stupid easy to get a golden age in the classical, as I kept getting +3 for clearing camps close to my cities. I suspect I'll have an easy time getting another golden age for Medieval because the barbs are still here in mass, too.

Yeah I overshot a golden age by over 50 points I believe for like 3 ages in a row because of barbarian camps. That was the one good thing.

Top Bottom