How is your EU3 Game going?

How'd you convert Bohemia, Hesse, and Munster to Islam? Rebels, or something possible in the mod that isn't in the base game?

Impressive Papal State at the end, impressive Hordes for being alive, and nice Ottomans marching towards Vienna in 1525. And a very nice Crimea as well, of course. It can be fun to play those not-available-at-the-start countries.

I took up my Golden Horde game once more, and 11 months later, now 39 after the succession crisis, the Horde is back on its feet and charging! Some land remains to be reconquered, but it's clear by now that none of the revolts will last. And happily, the Timurids are making gains for hordekind as well.

How'd you convert Bohemia, Hesse, and Munster to Islam? Rebels, or something possible in the mod that isn't in the base game?

Impressive Papal State at the end, impressive Hordes for being alive, and nice Ottomans marching towards Vienna in 1525. And a very nice Crimea as well, of course. It can be fun to play those not-available-at-the-start countries.

Hesse and Munster naturally converted (I got an event saying that my vassals converted, which is how all of my vassals became Muslim - only Bulgaria started out Muslim). Bohemia I slowly ate through a series of wars and converted all of their land and then released them naturally as Muslim. I assume the vassals converting is something in miscmods, which this mod uses as a base.

The Papal States and Portugal were the only European states I hadn't completely occupied by the end of the game.

Picked up an old game on Sunday while waiting for EU4, and it hooked me in. So I've continued playing it, and riding westwards as the Horde! Things are going fairly well, at least if you aren't Spain - although they did just annihilate about 25 of my regiments.

Spoiler :

The most recent succession crisis is fully recovered from, and most of Scandinavia and Italy have been added to the realm. Brittany is a remnant of that succession crisis; they're at war with me, but Castille was the bigger fish to fry. Holland has reached Land 12 and fields a small but potent army, funded by lucrative trade, that is packing more of a punch with each war - this may be the last time they are allowed to field it. Denmark survives due to their navy, and a successful revolt against The Hansa. Finland survives because the Horde is a benevolent nation.

The Timurids are my ally, and just suffered a succession crisis. The last one nearly finished them off, but they're in better shape now. They just delivered a beating to my tribute state of 6 decades, the Ottomans, and are now exacting tribute as well... I only wonder how long it will be until they go bankrupt.

After Spain and Portugal are finished, I'm considering heading east through Kazakh lands to China. North Africa (and the British lands there) would be a nicer target, but I rather want to see how long the AI Timurids can successfully fend off the Mamluks (their eastern neighbors are vassals or paying tribute). Might be quite awhile at the rate the Mamluks are going now.

"My Khan, I bring most troubling news from the Pope."

"The Pope? Down in Tunisia? How can any news from there possibly be troubling?"

"Well, you see, my Khan... the Pope has arranged for us to be EXCOMMUNICATED!!!"

"Well, you are right, that is certainly most troubling!"

I don't know quite how it happened, but somehow, the Papal State managed to excommunicate my ruler, despite my being a Sunni country. Perhaps my ruler converted to Catholicism but didn't require his subjects to convert? :dunno: My ruler does indeed have the excommunicated trait, but since my country isn't Catholic, there's no penalty to tolerance of the one true faith.

In other news, the Timurids are in a regency and I have a royal marriage with them, so I'm strongly considering claiming their throne (especially since I've since gained control of Mus, and thus a path to Africa). I'm considering fabricating claims for Kazakh, too, but that might prevent me from reaching China for awhile. I'm also not sure how the war-with-hordes-you-border mechanic would work with PUs - if Kazakh was at war with Ming, would I also be at war with Ming? If so and I could occupy their land, that would actually be quite convenient.

He excommunicated 100% of the Christian Mongols.

Is the pope catholic?

Ding ding ding! This is the right answer! I couldn't see the Papal States since they'd been exiled to North Africa, but looking at the save, it turns out that Pope Paulus II saw the path to righteousness and converted to Sunni (with the aid of a bankruptcy) in 1485. I'd been hoping to convert the Pope at some point, but I figured I might have to aid their bankruptcy via tribute - ended up being easier than I'd expected.

In January, 1489, there were still 3 cardinals controlled by the Papal State. I don't have another save between 1485 and 1489, but it's certainly possible that the Curia was controlled by the Sunni Papal State in September, 1487.

So what happens when a Sunni pope excommunicates a Sunni country... Exactly? Nothing?

So what happens when a Sunni pope excommunicates a Sunni country... Exactly? Nothing?

Well, it doesn't affect the Sunni country internally. My two Catholic neighbors who I am at war with do not have a Holy War casus belli on me. The only Sunni country that I neighbor, does not have a regency, and I am not at war with doesn't have a Holy War casus belli on me, either, although perhaps it's worth noting that they are the Kazakh Horde and thus nomads. So it looks like the effect is nothing besides the notoriety of being excommunicated by the Sunni Pope.

Another interesting thing that's been happening is that when I conquer a country (province?), its cardinals become controlled by the Papal State - which is why they can have so many cardinals when they are Sunni. I don't know what would happen if the Papal State didn't exist anymore. Perhaps they'd simply be replaced.

But the Papal States are far away, so I'm not likely to find that out soon. That will have to wait until at least the next Golden Horde-British War.

Top Bottom