How Many College Athletes Can't Read Beyond A Grade School Level?

It is time to get past 4th grade.

Yeah, I don't consider people credible until they agree with me either.

You're missing the point, it had been proven a false accusation with or without her admitting so. In fact, the overwhelming evidence stacked against her is the only reason she finally admitted it never happened. But besides, why the brain-dead approach? Obviously it would be in her best interest to win the case. Why would she say she was never raped even if she really was?

So by changing her story, she became more credible and intelligent? Maybe she was trying to qualify for a UNC football scholarship.

So by changing her story, she became more credible and intelligent? Maybe she was trying to qualify for a UNC football scholarship.

It doesn't make her more credible, everyone knew she was full of it even before she told the truth. the DNA testing proved the rape never occurred, all 46 white members of the team were tested and nothing was found against them. Whether she confessed or not after that point was irrelevant.

But besides, why the brain-dead approach? Obviously it would be in her best interest to win the case. Why would she say she was never raped even if she really was?

It's generally better for your social status to stay quiet about a rape, actually. Take, for example, the Steubenville case where a woman is raped by a large group of high schoolers, the raping is recorded, the recording is leaked online and is spread by the always surprisingly ethical Anonymous, two of the boys are charged for their actions and the people weep that their promising football careers have been ruined.

It's a shame this has to be built around facts rather than rumors. Sadly rumors are all you can muster up when the facts are against you. :rolleyes:

I concede that the accuser was to credibility what Coldplay was to original composition.

Nah, that was settled out of court, unlike this.

Neither the Duke boys nor there prostitute went to trial on the matter and neither had to pay off the other in a settlement.

Oh those Duke boys, always riding 'round Hazard county, sexually assaulting women and raisin' a ruckus. Ol' Boss Hogg is nev'r gonna catch 'em!

Spoiler :

Once sports becomes a potential moneymaker, you can forget, for the most part, that they will care about whether those atheletes will be educated.

I went to a highly regarded public university. At the time, everything was Division III. Atheletes had some advantages for admission, like any other special interest (art, music, whatever). They had no problems drawing more than enough qualified (and unqualified) applicants.

About a decade ago, they decided to make basketball Division I. Almost as soon as that happened, you started hearing about the players not going to class, and professors being pressured to keep them eligible.

Unfortuntately, money talks.

Yes, money speaks, and so do athletes.

And when they do, they enter Cracked articles with names like "5 Athletes Who Are Like, Totally Dumb, You Guys".

Once sports becomes a potential moneymaker, you can forget, for the most part, that they will care about whether those atheletes will be educated.

I went to a highly regarded public university. At the time, everything was Division III. Atheletes had some advantages for admission, like any other special interest (art, music, whatever). They had no problems drawing more than enough qualified (and unqualified) applicants.

About a decade ago, they decided to make basketball Division I. Almost as soon as that happened, you started hearing about the players not going to class, and professors being pressured to keep them eligible.

Unfortuntately, money talks.

Which school? If they made the jump to D1 that recently, I doubt it's really about money, since there is no way they're making any.

At UNC, a good portion of their football team doesn't even play at the 4th grade level.
To be fair, football isn't the sport UNC is known for.

We are, after all, a women's soccer school at heart. Mia Hamm = G.O.A.T.

To be fair, football isn't the sport UNC is known for.
To be fair, UNC has been spending millions each year to try to compete at the very highest levels. They have apparently been more than willing to intentionally break the rules trying to be even more successful.

I'd say that 100% depends on the school. The biggest incentives to flagrantly "cheat" aren't as strong at the D3 level, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I don't think there is a reason to think it happens as often as it might at say, Auburn.
Some schools pander to their athletes so much, they'll even condone and cover up murder, such as when Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU.

That wasn't true.

2012 Run for U.S. Senate

On December 19, 2011, James announced he would run for the United States Senate as a Republican in 2012 for the seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison. Public Policy Polling found during the race that "as Craig James has become better known he's just gotten more and more unpopular." His campaign was notable for the Google bomb that afflicted it, in which it was falsely claimed that "Craig James Killed Five Hookers" during his time at SMU. On May 29, 2012, he finished a distant fourth out of nine candidates in the Republican primary with about 4% of the vote.

Top Bottom