Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9, working on another

• More than 9

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I can translate GRM to SHP

• Total voters
Fluent: English and I guess you could say Irish fluently-ish...

I also learned German for 3 years and I've been learning French for nearly 4 now.

I always found French so much harder than German... it just doesn't come naturally at all... that and German is so similar to English

I've been learning Japanese for the past 7 months now.

English, Spanish, and though some believe it is not a language, American English it's VERY different from our lingual brethren across the pond. Though I try to pick up some German.

Meh, it ain't that different... though I guess if I were learning English as a second language and hadn't grown up with American TV, some words would be confusing.

Is it "Sieg Heil" or "Zeig Heil"? According to babelfish, the first means "victory welfare" and the second means "show welfare" so that's not much help.

Sieg Heil basically means hail to victory more or less. Sieg being victory.

Fluent Norwegian and English.

One. We Brits have realised that everyone speaks English, just that you have to speak REALLY LOUDLYÉ AND SLOWLY AND ADD ACCENTÉS ON THE ENDA OF EVERY FEW WORDOS.

Scuffer said:
1, but I'm relly relly good at it.
:lol:

fluently Portuguese and English, I read and can hold a conversation in Spanish and Frech. Working on German

I was just wondering — considering the high standards of proficiency this thread seems to demand of people — do Americans and Europeans/other have different ideas about what it means to speak a language 'fluently'?

Besides, to have a working knowledge of many foreign languages is more useful than truly mastering one or two.

As for myself I'd put down Swedish, English and French, in that order of proficiency, if we are talking real fluency.

My German works OK for most things though, and like all Scandinavians the brother languages of Danish and Norwegian make sense, most of the time.:p Prolly as an effect of Scaninavian and German I've realised can read the paper in Dutch.

I have a whole sunken continent of Latin lurking somewhere. Between it and the French I understand surprisingly much of Italian, Spanish etc. romance languages. (I can read a novel in Italian but not in Spanish.)

I'm currently eyeing the for me as yet unconquered linguistic European continent of the slav languages.:)

I speak Portuguese, English, German and French quite good, but none of them perfect and with some problems. And I still may understand Spanish and Italian, if it's spoken slowly or written, but I can't speak it myself.

Falas português? AH!!!!!Parabéns ;)
OK, I was saying: "Do you speak Portuguese? Congrats!

Languages I know in order of fluency: English, Mandarin, Spanish

My first languague was Chinese, but since I live in the US, I don't use it that often, and in effect, my Chinese skills has withered in the past years. I am starting to get an American accent when speaking it, and its very annoying. I started learning English when I was three, and now it is my main language. I started learning Spanish in 7th grade and can write and read it almost fluently. I speak it with about 45% fluency and I can ony understand Spanish if spoken at a moderate speed. I still cannot understand native speakers for they speak way too fast and it makes me :crazyeye:

Languages I want to learn: French, German, Russian

I want to learn French and German because I want to read some classic books in their original langauge, mainly philosophy. I want to learn Russian because I have lots of Russia friends and want to shock them one day by speaking Russian fluently. Also, they always communicate in Russian to hide something, it's very annoying. I can only say "privet" or "drastia" (hello), "davai" (come on), "tavarisch" (comrade), "shto" (what), "smatrice" (look) in Russian. And please, excuse my horrible conversion from Cyrillic to Latin characters :D

Claro! Sou brasileiro e moro na Suiça ja ha 5 anos, mas eu não me lembro muito da gramatica portuguesa :(

I said "Of course! I am Brazilian and I live in Switzerland since 5 years, but I dont remember the Portuguese grammar much"

Just like Huang, I'm getting a German accent when I speak Portuguese :(

I voted, 2 and working on another:

English, Scottish, American, Dutch, Afrikaans, French, Swedish*, Latin*, Persian*

JScript, JavaScript, Java, Perl, PHP, SSI, SQL, ASP, XHTML, Pascal, Lisp, C

* Work in progress

Top Bottom