How many people "own" a particular number?

#14 will forever be Johann Cruijff's number in the Netherlands as he famously wore that number anywhere he went. He might have started the 'this number is mine' in soccer before it became a thing.
Choosing to wear #14 in the Netherlands is a thing.

I grew up watching football soccer, so #3 will automatically be Paolo Maldini of AC Milan. He wore that shirt for 24 years.
If you think that's not impressive, imagine doing the same job for 24 years, at the top level of your ability and at the top level of anyone's ability.

Afaik 88 is often a code for Adolph Hitler. I find it nice that it almost coincides with his birthdate year, (18)89, but 88 stands for HH.
It's 18 - A for 1 and 8 for H. Some might use 88 since it resonates the greeting at the time staring with HH which I don't want to repeat for obvious reasons. If you look up the nazi salute, you'll know what I mean.
I worked with a neo-nazi a long time ago - talking to him taught me a lot about people.

This one I like, yes.

I mean I like everybody's, but I think this one might have been in the back of my mind as something that prompted me to ask the question.

I associate the number 11 with the sunspot cycle. It's also the age when magical kids receive their Hogwarts letters.

e - Leonard Euler
1 - Three Dog Night
1914 - Franz Ferdinand (technically his death)
1963 - JFK (technically his death)
69 - me :shifty: :lol: - sorry for the dumb joke!

1963 has a number of associations with it. Doctor Who premiered on the same day that Kennedy was shot.

It's 18 - A for 1 and 8 for H. Some might use 88 since it resonates the greeting at the time staring with HH which I don't want to repeat for obvious reasons. If you look up the nazi salute, you'll know what I mean.
I worked with a neo-nazi a long time ago - talking to him taught me a lot about people.
I mean, afaik heil Hitler is exactly what they use, and the code for it is 88 :p
I am also not sure how typing "Hitler" isn't taboo, but "heil Hitler" is. You can type a phrase without agreeing with it.

23 can bring instantly to mind Michael Jordan.
fwiw, as a UNC-Chapel Hill alumnus, where Jordan played his college ball [suck it, Duke!]... in these parts, #9 is also owned by the other GOAT we produced: Mia Hamm (granted, she wore #19 while here, but on the World Stage, she is probably better known for wearing #9). It's... unfortunate that she is not associated with #9 though. She should be.

fwiw, as a UNC-Chapel Hill alumnus, where Jordan played his college ball [suck it, Duke!]
Yes, Jordan started and ended his BB playing as #23. Go Heels! Go Dean Smith, Phil Ford and the Four Corners!

Or put another what, how many cases are there of a particular number being owned by a particular individual?

The cases I have in mind are the way 42 can bring instantly to mind Douglas Adams.

23 can bring instantly to mind Michael Jordan.

(For some people, of course,)

So put in yet another way, my question is this: are there any numbers, when, if you see them in some neutral setting, they nevertheless conjure up memories/associations of one particular human being?
I am not a fan of attributing numbers to sports-people. Again, they tend to not be either globally important, or identified more with sportsman x than other (local) things.
Eg, while Jordan is very famous in US/anglosphere/Europe, I doubt the majority of the people in the planet have or will at some point in their lives know of him. Contrast that (ala the 1864 example) with places where "23" refers to very important historical dates.
Regarding the Friday the 13nth case, in some countries it is Tuesday the 13nth:

1682833525859.png

Tbf, the fall of Constantinople to the crusaders wasn't bad luck, just beyond dreadful leadership, to lose to an army that barely had any cavalry when you had 20.000 cataphracts.

Last edited:
I doubt the majority of the people in the planet have or will at some point in their lives...
There are 8 billion people most of whom know little or nothing about the world outside of their region or nation. We are among the educated elite and that is the group such discussions have some playful meaning. I'd be surprised if a billion people know anything about ancient Greece or could name a picture of the Parthenon. The World Cup is likely much better known among masses. What was Pele's number?

What was Pele's number?

;)

In Christian nations, 24/12 or 12/24 will be associated with Jesus Christ, because we celebrate his birth on that day each year.

300,000 can be associated with 17th Century astronomer Ole Roemer, the first person to quite accurately approximate the speed of light (even though 300,000 isn't the value he arrived at) - or Maxwell depending on your preference. When Maxwell came forward with his equations in the 19th Century, you no longer needed to measure the speed of light; it could now be calculated very accurately.

Last edited:
10 used to be worn by the best player in the team, so it is to be expected that many great players had that number.
Once again, though, imo it's pointless to argue that, on a global scale, any number is associated primarily with a sports-person.
Sometimes even numbers that tie to something very prominent, simply don't make it to mass culture. For example, while I can tell you how Thales calculated the height of the great pyramid of Cheops, I don't recall the actual number ^^

I am not sure that historical dates can be really linked to any one person ^^ For many reasons; often they refer to different events that are significant, eg 1864 is the second Danish-Prussian war, as well as the Confederate vs Union war.
It'd be a bit like arguing that 1666=Newton. Sure, it was his major year, but also the year of the great plague.
If one uses day/month too, perhaps it is more viable, but then it's less likely they mean much in popular/layman culture. For example, 1/8/1914 (or the bizarre 8/1/1914, if you are USian!) is the declaration of war, by Germany, against Russia.

PS: It is nice that Alexander died at a date easy to remember: 323. And because he was 33 years old, so you also calculate he was born in 356 BC. But 356 BC was also the year of the great destruction of the temple of Artemis, at Ephesos, by Herostratos. Legend has it that the only reason Artemis wasn't around to defend her temple, was that she had to be a witness to the birth of Alexander ;)
The J-Dog Jesus Christ also died (and was resurrected) at 33
1666 was the year of the Great Fire of London, isn't that right?
This one I did think of, though I ruled it out because it's really two numbers. When I was thinking about it, though, I was thinking about Osama bin Laden.
Eh, I think he is going more for a conspiracy theory route.

There is also Planck's constant, though it is less famous in popular culture.

Does that really count as a number, though? It has units, so in different unit systems it has a different numerical value.

In my opinion, a constant should be dimensionless to really be a number. Like the Avogadro number.

Everyone knows (or should) 1492, yup.
What if one's nation/culture does not use the Gregorian calendar? Not every culture use the Christian year zero as the starting point for their traditional calendars. :p

another point about 1864, so i can't translate the song (he's swearing a bit, and most of it is irrelevant to my point), so the two first lines of the chorus:

"There's something wrong in Denmark,
Dybbøl Mill mills like <expletive>*"

Dybbøl Mill is a particular site of the war theatre of 1864, with trenches still around it, and the mill was destroyed during the war. it became a focal point of the war; people in denmark know the year 1864, they know the mill, but they don't know who the king was, what happened to the mill, and often not even that the austrians were even fighting us, we just know it was the germans. it's that relevant in denmark, and the war is so pronounced in our national character that when some 1971 musician used a phrase referring to it "milling like :):):):):)", people understand the reference instantly and get that he's singing about something rotten in the state of denmark. and of course, like the number 1864, this song itself is part of our national consciousness.
the mill site is a museum today, incidentally, i've been there

*the actual words are best translated like "Dybbøl Mill mills like it's going to Hell" but it's a swear in danish, even if an archaic swear, so if i were translate it, it would mill like ... poop? i think you get the point

anyways i think my fascination with this topic is like... leaving the swan pond and talking to foreigners who don't even know there was a war then was a strange experience growing up. since it so drenches everything we're about to such a degree. we ALL know the number. we sing the children's song about tobacco guns and death in kindergarten

Is the view that if Austria wasn't involved (had some ships, unlike Prussia), the danish navy could have at least prevented the attacks after the retreat from the Danevirke?
seeing that their cannons simply outranged ours by a lot, not sure it'd made a difference. they also just wanted our holding is southern jutland/north germany, which was connected to germany by land.

our army was bad. the 1864 war (and the burnings of copenhagen by england under napoleon) was a huge wake-up call for the nationalists, who had to find danishness elsewhere than like glory and power

Last edited:
42 imo is related to Jackie Robinson as well.
I think of Robinson before Adams when I see "42" as well. I also still associate "61" with Roger Maris; even though that's not the record anymore, it was for most of my life.

I don't associate 9/11 with anyone, but with the event.

What about 666? It is usually considered Satan's number, but in fact it is mankind's collective number since it is the "number of the beast", the beast being the human forces ruling the world or human society as a whole.

It's also the number of the anti-christ.

7 = God

So perfection = 777

Top Bottom