How Many People Will You be Sharing Christmas With

How many people will you be sharing Christmas with?

• Nada, Just Me

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • One Household, Just Who I Live With

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Immediate Family, Parents, Siblings, Children

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Extended Family, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, the Entire Clan

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • And Friends, The More the Merrier

• Bananas, None of the Above

• Total voters
Just me, my wife and our 2 sons, plus whoever we can coax into a Skype-conversation.

As usual I'll be having a small Christmas a week early, with my immediate family (my parents and my sister's family, 8 people total) before we scatter to visit other relatives. I'll be heading to a tiny coastal town about a 3 hour drive from here, to spend it with my wife's family. She has 4 sisters and a brother all with their own families so there should be about 30 people in attendance.

Australia is essentially COVID-free so this is a very different calculation to the awful situations in the trans-Atlantic world. We're over a month with no unlinked/unknown cases anywhere in the country. NSW and Victoria are both around a month with no local cases period. NSW did it all via contact tracing, with only modest restrictions and no lockdown, keeping cases below 20 a day even at their peak. Victoria has come out of a long and hard lockdown after an out of control outbreak sourced from overseas quarantine leakage which killed 800 people. Currently it's just Adelaide cleaning up a quarantine leakage now, and nothing not linked to that has yet emerged.

As a result of NSW's modest sustainable restrictions approach, the Christmas gathering we're intending to have (over 20 ppl at one dwelling) only becomes legal in NSW tomorrow.

As usual I'll be having a small Christmas a week early, with my immediate family (my parents and my sister's family, 8 people total) before we scatter to visit other relatives. I'll be heading to a tiny coastal town about a 3 hour drive from here, to spend it with my wife's family. She has 4 sisters and a brother all with their own families so there should be about 30 people in attendance.

Australia is essentially COVID-free so this is a very different calculation to the awful situations in the trans-Atlantic world. We're over a month with no unlinked/unknown cases anywhere in the country. NSW and Victoria are both around a month with no local cases period. NSW did it all via contact tracing, with only modest restrictions and no lockdown, keeping cases below 20 a day even at their peak. Victoria has come out of a long and hard lockdown after an out of control outbreak sourced from overseas quarantine leakage which killed 800 people. Currently it's just Adelaide cleaning up a quarantine leakage now, and nothing not linked to that has yet emerged.

As a result of NSW's modest sustainable restrictions approach, the Christmas gathering we're intending to have (over 20 ppl at one dwelling) only becomes legal in NSW tomorrow.

Nice our sibling in the Great Western Dustbowl seem to have pulled it off.

I'll go have lunch with my mom I guess. Same for New Year's Day, as we are under a curfew from 22 to 5.

Just myself and Maddy. As mentioned in another thread, one of the local seniors' agencies is delivering a turkey dinner this year, so we'll be set.

Activity-wise... I'm waaaay behind on several months' worth of stuff I intended to watch, like my soap opera and YT music videos. So maybe I'll make a dent in that.

It's quite a contrast from decades ago. My family used to be very busy for Christmas. "Real Christmas" for us was Christmas Eve with my grandparents (dad's parents, the ones I lived with). Christmas Day meant getting up early and going into the city to my other grandparents' place, and then on to visit both great-grandmothers (the main dinner was at the first great-grandmother's place). Boxing Day was for visiting friends (on my dad's side of the family; my mother's side never bothered with that).

That was all a lot of traveling, and years later when it was just my grandparents and dad and their friends, Christmas was less stressful in many ways. But as my grandmother got older, my dad and I took over the things she used to do (he did the cooking and I did the shopping, wrapping, and decorating).

As the numbers dwindled over the years, I've learned that most of the things people stress over, like shopping and decorations and large turkey dinners, are really unnecessary as long as you're with people you care for.

My parents, one of my sisters, her husband, and kids, that's it. My other sister is staying behind and not visiting, for obvious reasons.

Our city (population 500,000) has 180 current cases, which is the highest it's ever been. So we're sort of on our toes and being extra careful. Everyone who's meeting up (my parents, sister, etc.) has been very careful and not meeting up with anyone else. We all stayed at a cottage back in September, and we've occasionally done dinner (twice?) so we're all sort of in the same 'bubble'.

It will be a strange xmas this year, but whatever it takes to keep this virus under control.

Just me. The GF is spending Christmas with her parents. I'm staying away because they are elderly.

Silent Night I guess?

Top Bottom