How many teams?

I am open to having either 4 or 6 teams. My preference leans towards 4, but 6 is okay too.

I think the number of teams should depend upon:

#1) How many people who plan to be highly active sign up.
#2) The kind of game settled on.

For #2 - if it's going to be a small map with a quick game speed... then lots of teams might be more fun. Lower consequences if you get eliminated (ie, you don't have years invested).
If it's going to be a very large map, or if we're playing an always peace variant or something, fewer teams might be better to ensure that each team will retain at least a few players during the slower/disappointing parts.

= my 2cents.

I think 4 teams are not much for a competition like this. A small map can be large enough for 6 teams, if you use maps like tectonics or global highlands.

About speed: quick? are you goin' mad? i'm stressed on normal, but i can live with it. I understand that we need "fast" settings to not be involved for years, but quick is too much. You start an axe rush and you'll find riflemen when you arrive at the second city (OK, ok probably nor riflemen, but just to give my opinion on quick)

I've seen some 30 people expressing interest fot this game. This can fit perfectly with 6 teams of 5 members each.

Maybe some more "advertising" and some team can even arrive to 6 people.

The mapmaker can't be in the competition, right?

I think the number of teams should depend upon:

#1) How many people who plan to be highly active sign up.
I think this point by General_W is the real key. We probably need to make a list. Maybe folks could speak up about this but I will try to get us started:

A.) Who plans on being, or is willing to be a turnplayer?
1. Sommerswerd
2. Lord Parkin (I hope:)) I think I remember LP saying so a while back...
3. HUsCh - I think I remember HUsCh saying this as well

Anyone else?

B.) Who plans on being highly active? (IMO that is reading 90% of the posts and posting at least several times a week... maybe also being available for sub turnplaying duty, taking screenies, doing diplo etc... not just lurking and making a weekly comment or two)

1. Sommerswerd

I, for me can be highly active. If i can avoid to actively play and only draw the strategy, better, otherwise i have no problems to actively play.

As i said, usually, when i'm involved i'm very active.

I think this point by General_W is the real key. We probably need to make a list. Maybe folks could speak up about this but I will try to get us started:

1. Sommerswerd
2. Lord Parkin (I hope:)) I think I remember LP saying so a while back...
3. HUsCh - I think I remember HUsCh saying this as well

Anyone else?

B.) Who plans on being highly active? (IMO that is reading 90% of the posts and posting at least several times a week... maybe also being available for sub turnplaying duty, taking screenies, doing diplo etc... not just lurking and making a weekly comment or two)

1. Sommerswerd
I'm willing to be a turnplayer, and certainly plan on being highly active.

I think we better stick with 4 to keep the gaming running more quickly and smoothly.

OK soooo... So far that's
1. Sommerswerd
2. Lord Parkin

willing to be turnplayers, and BLubmuz prefers not to be a turnplayer but will do so if absolutely needed... That sounds like 2 Teams, 3 at most... not 4 and nowhere near 6.

EDIT: Crossposted with DMOC... It sounds like DMOC is willing to be a sort of back-up turnplayer... is that right?

Also... as much as I am reluctant to raise another issue while trying to address this one... Shouldn't we make sure that each team has more than one turnplayer? Maybe at least weekday player and a weekend player. 4 turnplayers for each team would be nice TBH... Especially if we are doing simultatneous turns and minimizing pauses... Turnplaying is a HUGE time commitment for one person alone.

I would be willing to back up if I'm not an admin or map maker (which I really want to be) ;)

I think we should open a registration thread and also have an option available for groups of people that might want to play together and not have other random people in their team.

So for example if me and 4 friends want to play this game and not allow others to join our team can we do it?

So for example if me and 4 friends want to play this game and not allow others to join our team can we do it?
For what its worth... I am OK with that.:goodjob: I think Indiansmoke's idea is good because:
1. It establishes 1 team right off the bat... we just have to get the others formed.
2. It ensures that the Indiansmoke team will be a happy team, because they have everyone that they want/need to stay active... Afterall, maximum fun is the whole point right?
3. It also saves time b/c instead of having to wait to see where certain players go and then picking a different team Indiansmoke can just set the team with the desired players and leave it at that.

I think I would prefer to be on a open-to-the-public team of volunteers, strangers, random folks etc... but everyone has a preference, and I think Indiansmoke's preference is a legit way to make one (or some) of our teams. We should have at least one or two teams that are open to the public though.

Shouldn't we make sure that each team has more than one turnplayer? Maybe at least weekday player and a weekend player. 4 turnplayers for each team would be nice TBH... Especially if we are doing simultatneous turns and minimizing pauses... Turnplaying is a HUGE time commitment for one person alone.
I think you're getting the cart before the horse, though I agree with your concern.

I think most of this can be addressed by each team. Each team will have their own dynamics and will (somehow) decide on Turn Players. That seemed to work okay for most of the last game.

We can strongly suggest that each team have mutiple turnplayers and I think we should.

Top Bottom